Chapter 10
285 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After two months bedrest, Adna was thinking,  ‘’ Lex birthday is coming up.  Before Lex birthday celebration, Al the second would celebrate first.  Al had an idea just to celebrate the birthday of Lex and Al the second just one time, so it should be a joint birthday.  Adna told Al, ‘’it should be celebrated on  their respective birthdays, but for this year one has a grand celebration, and the next year the other one has the bigger celebration than the other.  It must be alternate.  The first to have the grand celebration should be Lex being the eldest.  There were balloons but written on the balloons was ‘’Happy birthday Lex and Al the second’’.  There was a big cake too with a heart shape and written on the cake was ‘’Happy Birthday Lex’’  Only the balloons  had their two names.  After singing the Happy Birthday song, the celebrant must make a birthday wish then blow the candle.  Those who attended  the celebration would clap their hands and would say ‘’wish come true’’.  A lot of foods and visitors during Lex birthday.  Prior to Lex birthday, though there were visitors but not as many during  the birthday of Lex.  Al the second had his birthday cake where he also blew his candle after he silently make a birthday wish.  He also had spaghetti, ice cream, the salad prepared by Adna, the sweet and sour fish and many other delicious food.  Only the balloons were not included as it would be bought during Adna’s birthday.  After Adna was asked if she was happy with her birthday, she then answered, ‘’it was not my birthday only but also for Al the second’’.  Aunt Felip told her, ‘’it is your birthday, Al the second had his birthday too’’.  She then told Aunt Felip, ‘’you read the balloons, it is Happy Birthday Lex and Al the second’’.  Aunt Felip  did not say anything, as Lex was telling the truth.  Adna and Al who heard their conversation had agreed to celebrate individually the birthdays of their children.

Adna went to the licensing department to have her business closed.  She was asked if she would be interested to work at the government instead.  Adna accepted the offer.  She started working February 21 and on February 23, Adna at dawn time she  had a dream.  Adna had a short talk with God.  God told Adna, ‘’I want to live accompanying you’’.  Adna replied, ‘’who am I to say no to You,..You are God’’.  The next day Adna complained of her chest pain.  Adna had mild heart disease when she was in high school.  Papa Mar informed Al about it.  When Adna told Al she had chest pain, Al was so afraid, this time heart cannot just be taken away like the appendicitis.  He told Adna, that they must go to a healing priest, after Adna told him about her dream.  They both went to the church where the healing was done by the priest.  When the priest held Adna, she collapsed but she was conscious.  The priest told Al, that Adna received the gift of tongue.  Another priest who used to come to Adna’s house during birthdays, happened to hold a high position in the University where they studied,.  In fact, if Adna applied for academic scholarship, he was the one who would interview Adna.  When Lex  was absent from her class when her mom was hospitalized, the school would no longer accept her, but the priest who became the Superintendent had the authority to decide.  He told the school directress who was a nun, that the school must give the child consideration.  For humanitarian reason, they must let the child go back to school.  The priest upon learning that the healer priest told Adna that she received the gift of tongue, the other priest told Adna to accept the gift of healing.  Adna told the priest, ‘’No, I cannot, I have my children, they will be affected with what other people would say to me’’.  Then Adna told the priest, ‘’I will give you the guitar of Papa Mar, just use it and take care of it’’  The priest joyfully accepted, he knew that the guitar was so precious to Adna.  When Adna was working, some personnels would come to her and ask for help, they have no rice to cook for their family.  Sometimes Adna would think how much salary she received and if she gives, how long she had been working to earn the money.  So different when she had her business.  Adna had no heart to say no.  She gave them money to buy rice for their family.  Al also worked with Adna, but in a different department.  Al would always go to Adna’s department to assist her.  Al noticed that many people would come to Adna asking for help, specially for food.  After office hours, Al would bring Adna to the mall nearby to eat ice cream.  As it is peak hours, they just drop the kids at home first and then promise them that they would bring chocolates when they come home.  Everyday, after work, that was the routine of Al and Adna.  Adna’s concern for  others did not stop.  When Al’s younger sister would send them money, they would go and watched movie and bought a lot of stuffs.  One time Adna told Al, why not give rice to others.  They packed rice and placed inside a huge travelling bag.  Adna placed the big bag on her lap and riding the motorcycle with Al, they would discuss where they would go and give the rice they brought.  Adna told Al ‘’just drive, where the wind brings us that we do not know, who will receive these packs of rice’’.  When they passed the church where Adna would always go everyday, she suddenly told Al to stop and see if there were old women inside.  Al parked his motorcycle and carried the big bag with packs of rice.  Adna saw three old women eating.  It was Saturday, so there were only few people in the church ground.  Adna learned they had been selling candles for the longest time and they were all sisters.  To her heart and mind, Adna was thinking of the three old women could be Aunt Felip, Aunt Feliz, and Mom Rona.  If they were not taken cared of properly, the situation of the three old women could have been experienced by her most loved Mom Rona, Aunt Feliz and Aunt Felip who was  still alive.  Adna told Al to give all the rice to them.  The three old women were so grateful.  Adna and Al kept visiting them.  When one of them got sick, she brought the family doctor of Papa Mar to the house to the three old women.  Adna then realized, they were lepers.  Adna asked the prescribed medicines so she could buy it.  The doctor who took care of Adna after her operation said to her,  ‘’My child, what kind of heart have you got?’’  Adna replied, ‘’look up and you can see the sky, their roof have big holes, and look down, they are living on an uncemented floor.’’  The doctor who was a politician, known to be so rich in their city, just shake his head and he truly admired a young woman who had greater wisdom than him.  One of the three old women died and she was buried during Adna’s birthday.  Adna shouldered the expenses.  Al and Adna continued helping the two other sisters.  One of them used to come to Adna’s house bringing something, sometimes bananas, shellfish.  Adna told her, do not bring anything for me when you come, it is heavy.  Just come here when you need something from us.  The kindness  of Papa Mar who was very helpful to other people.  The kindness of Mom Rona when she was still alive, is now burning in the heart of Adna.  Al always give all his support to his wife.  As if he  would be saying always to Adna, ‘’your wish is my command’’.

0