Chapter 17
280 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘’Life is absurd if we are just marching to death’’,  said the bishop priest who officiated the funeral mass of the priest’s father last Tuesday morning.  Death is everyone’s fear cause when it comes, the only word being said is ‘’not today’’.  It is the most powerful because death is always victorious.  When it is time to go it is really time to go and no one can stop it.  Many people who take it in the popular custom, they would make all the things they want in life.  Enjoy life while still alive.  Make use of the day to day living full of material ambitions and possessions.  Some become greed and they would not think about what others deserve and how would they feel after being victimized by the personal desire of the person just to enjoy life as he exists.  But in the Christian faith, it is otherwise.  Death becomes the new beginning of life eternal.  The new beginning becomes victorious over death.  Faith has truly come in and it is the hope of having a much beautiful life after this worldly existence, where it will be full of joy, no more sorrows and pains, no more illness, no more greed.  Perhaps some would not believe this kind of faith, but this is the truth, that the journey in this world is short, no one knows when is the perfect time when to stop breathing.  No one can tell when his life ends, possibly only those insane who have suicidal tendencies have the idea, when they would commit suicide.  Life is a gift from God, a privilege to experience how to become a true human being, giving the right answer of a question, ‘’is man truly human’’. Because only man kills its own species.  Having the Christian faith that there is a life eternal, all the pains in this world has an end, it is not the person dying who would say, ‘’not today’’ but it is death which would say, ‘’not today’’ because victory is not at all death.  The physical life ends, but the spiritual journey goes on.  The body leaves but the memory lives, continuously until the end of time.

Adna fully understand, because it was not only one time that she experienced being left by her loved ones physically.  Mom Rona first then after a year, Aunt Feliz.   Five years after Papa Mar, then, four years later, Uncle Mike, then Uncle Rom.  The feeling of hope in Adna’s heart that spiritually all of them still accompanies her day to day watching over Adna, helping her every econcounter of difficulties.  Adna in her heart knows that they are all happy and joyful somewhere up there and there are times when Adna would see them in her dreams.  When it happens, Adna shares what she dreamed  to the whole family.

When Adna went to her maternal relatives to a small island, Adna’s thoughts were occupied with how her family was doing?  Have they eaten their meals right on time.  Was  the milk of Aunt Felip been well prepared, not too sweet.  Adna considered also the feelings of her children without her.  She usually asked them, how was school, what were your beautiful experiences today?  Is there any problem that needs to be taken cared of?  The children could tell anything and everything to their mom.  Even Lex one time, openly told her mom, ‘’I really have a crush in school, he has really a beautiful big eyes.’’  Adna replied, ‘’who is he, what is his name?’’  Lex answered, ‘’he is my classmate, his name is Rom’’.  Adna thought to herself, ‘’Oh, same name with Uncle Rom’’.  Adna had to seek advice from her friend who is a priest considering that Lex was just in grade two which is too early for that kind of attraction experience.  The priest told Adna, ‘’just let it be, she is just a child, good that she expressed her feelings.’’  When Adna left the family to go to the island where her old relatives had been waiting to see her, Adna received money from her aunt, sister of her mom Liz.  Adna gave all the money to Al and requested Al to bring the children everyday to the mall but not stay there long time to make sure Aunt Felip would not be left to the nanny only.  Al must be there to see and make sure the needs of Aunt Felip is taken cared of immediately.  The children had fun with their  dad at the mall.  Al celebrated his birthday in August, he had only selected friends who came, one of them was the priest whom Adna gave Papa Mar’s guitar.  Then  birthdays of Al the second, followed two weeks later to celebrate the birthday of Lex.  then Christmas time came full of fun during the games usually participated by Adna and Al.  Month of January came, and Adna had a dream.  It was almost morning when in her dreams she was walking on a road, not cemented but not rough road.  There were plants of beautiful roses at each side.  Adna just continued walking on the road, then she suddenly woke up.  When she got up from her bed, she thought right away of Aunt Felip.  After brushing her teeth and washed her face, Adna prepared the milk for Aunt Felip.  She was the one who brought it to Aunt Felip who was already back to her original room.  It was November 1999 when Aunt Felip was hospitalized, and now it is more than two years from her confinement but Adna continued to give her baby’s food.  When she came near to Aunt Felip, she woke her up for her to drink her milk little by little.  Adna noticed, Aunt Felip stayed asleep.  Adna also noticed her breathing was too deep.  She placed the milk on the table of Aunt Felip’s room and called Al.  There is something wrong with Aunt Felip.  Al who immediately came up to see Aunt Felip’s condition, and after seeing Aunt Felip just stay asleep, he told Adna that she must be brought to the hospital.  Aunt Felip still stayed asleep with deep breathing.  All the children were also at home so they also went upstairs to see what happened to Aunt Felip.  Adna to her mind, had related her dream, she knew today is the time that Aunt Felip would go.    She would be celebrating her 88th birthday coming month of May.  Aunt Felip was just sleeping on her bed with all her family, Adna, Al, Lex, Azia, and Al the second on her bed side.  Adna asked Al to get the Bible, and she read verses to Aunt Felip.  When her breathe became shallow, Adna continued to read the bible aloud.  Adna then saw that there was a small smoke coming out from Aunt Felip’s mouth..that was her last breath.  Adna then told Al to get some coconut oil.  She clean first Aunt Felip with water using a face towel, then she robbed the coconut oil at her hands.  When Adna saw Aunt Felips fingernails with some dirt, she asked Al to get the nail cutter, and Adna cut the fingernails of Aunt Felip one by one.  Adna told Aunt Felip, you must be very clean when you face God.  Adna took her long dress and had it prepared to be used by Aunt Felip.  She asked Al to go with her to buy a new pair of slippers for Aunt Felip to wear.  She didn’t like to wear shoes or sandals, she prefer slippers.

Adna then realized, Uncle Mike died on May 12, Aunt Feliz died September 12, now Aunt Felip died January 12.  It would not be difficult for Adna to remember their death anniversaries, as she would still remember and celebrate their respective birthdays.  At night, Adna can’t help but cried, then she called the priest she asked to pray when Aunt Felip was confined.  Adna asked him,  ‘’why God has taken Aunt Felip from me,,why???  She is the last one I’’ve got.  Why????’’  The priest answered Adna, ‘’did you not ask that not during Christmas because you don’t want the children to experience sadness during that joyous season?  God has heard your prayer, it is january, a month after Christmas, and God gave you over two years to spend time with her.’’  From a heavy heart, Adna became delighted, ‘’you are right and I must thank God for that’’.

0