Chapter 19
272 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the father of Adna’s friend checked out from the hospital, they had no money to pay.   The older sister of Adna’s friend was a nun, so Adna asked the business office head of the hospital if letter of authority could be accepted in the case of a nun’s father.  The head of the business office informed Adna that the account for the letter of authority covered only priests who were confined.  Adna told him, if the bill will just be sent to the office where accounts of the priests would be sent to for collection after the one month period after having checked out from the hospital, the agreed time to settle all the expenses incurred in the hospital.  The head of the business office who was already familiar with Adna accepted the proposal of Adna.  In that case the father of the nun whose younger sister asked help from Adna can anytime go out of the hospital which prevents additional cost every day.  Adna then went to the office of the in charge for letter of authority.  She had the same congregation with the daughter of the patient.  At first she refused, for the patient was not a priest but just a father of a nun.  Adna explained to her, ‘’I am not a nun, but I felt so much concern for this person who is so loved by his daughter, the younger sister of your fellow nun.  He is not my obligation being not my family member, but here I am leaving my family, and giving my time and effort to help them.  I know you can do something to help them much than I could.  Please do so…’’  After Adna’s explanation, she approved that the letter of authority would come from the account of priests, but they would not pay for the hospital bill.  The help is only to give them time, exactly one month after checking out from the hospital.  They could have enough time to look for money to settle their outstanding account in the hospital.  Adna thanked the head nun and then went back to the hospital to tell the family of her friend that they can already check out from the hospital even without money, but must try their best not to go beyond the agreed time to pay their bill.  When the bill was already processed, Adna was so happy, that the neurosurgeon doctor who had the highest professional fee, did not charge a single cent.

The family of Adna’s friend were so grateful to Adna.  The friend of Adna, took care of her father at home while her older sister who was a nun went back to  their house in the congregation.   After a month, the father of Adna’s friend had claimed his early retirement fee which amount could cover the amount they owe from the hospital.  They then went to the province which was the origin  of his wife.  With the help of having fresh air there, fresh fruits and vegetables, the father of Adna’s friend had recovered.  One time he asked his  daughter to request Adna to come to their house in the province.  Considering the distance which was  farther than Uncle Rpm’s ancestral house, Adna said, ‘’thank you for  inviting, but tell your father just to stay healthy, no need to thank me’’.  Ten years later Adna’s friend called and informed that her father passed away.  Adna told her friend, ‘’your father was almost gone, but God who saw your love for him extended his life to spend more quality time with you’.  It also happened when I almost lost my Aunt Felip, I prayed to God and He extended the life of Aunt Felip for more than two years,  month after Christmas.  God had given you and your father the longest time, much as I desire for Aunt Felip to keep her always at my sight.’’  Adna’s friend understood all that she heard from Adna was right.

Adna’s friend is already over 40 years old who remained single all her life.  Last year, she met Al and Adna at the market, and she had a companion.  She then told Al, we are getting married this coming May and I want you and Adna to be our principal sponsors.  Adna replied’’, the wedding is here in the nearby church?’’  She answered, ‘’at the province’’.  Adna said, ‘’it is too far we cannot go, just transfer your wedding here, and I will cook lots of foods then.’’  Adna also does not like to wear gown and with high heels of shoes.  She does not like wearing  heavy makeup  and for  her hair she just want it simple.  Adna said, ‘’if your wedding is here, I can help prepare the foods.’’  Day before the wedding day, Adna asked her children, Lex, Azia, and Al the second,  ‘’would you like to travel to the province?’’  All were so excited and said, ‘’yes’’.  Adna told them, ‘’go and tell your father Al, we will attend the wedding tomorrow but we have to leave after lunch and sleep there one night.’’  Al asked Adna, ‘’are we going to be the principal sponsor?’’  Adna replied, ‘’no, I am going to wear ordinary slippers’’  After lunch, Lex, Azia, Al the second were all ready to bring their backpacks  and small travelling bag.  Adna told them, ‘’don’t forget to bring your toothbrush and toothpaste’’  then they all went to bus terminal for it would take them more than  four hours to reach the place.  Adna asked Lex to contact her friend to get instructions on how to get there.  Adna’s friend was so happy, the whole family would attend her wedding.  On their way there, no bus was available, so they had to pay a higher amount for a van for hire.  They reached the place late in the afternoon.  Another sister of Adna’s friend was in charge to take care of the whole family.  There was a beautiful small house which was good enough to accomodate Adna’s family.  They would sleep there for one night.  The wedding was scheduled at ten o’clock in the morning.  They all went to the church of that place.  After the wedding ceremony, they went back to the bride’s house as the reception was held there.  After meeting with some friends who came from the  city where Adna lived, Adna told her children to prepare their things as they would travel home by bus.  When they reach the small house where they slept, the sister of the bride, and another sister who accommodated Adna’s family went with them.  Adna asked the younger sister of the nun, ‘’I feel something strange in this place, though the house is beautifully painted, but I don’t  understand, it is so lonely here, why?’’  She then answered,  ‘’see that big house in the compound, the three members of the family died in a car accident. The mother, her daughter in law, wife of the one driving the car and the niece who was the only child of a seaman, brother of the driver.  The driver was asleep while driving, and all his three passengers died except him who survived.  She also pointed to the big gate which was always kept closed, when the car was sold to an american buyer, the new  driver would always stop at the gate as if somebody was coming out from the car to that big house.  When the american buyer knew, he told the former owner, ‘’take back your car and never mind returning my money’’.  Lex who was listening, told Adna, ‘’I did not sleep well mom and I could hear a voice from outside talking in the middle of the night.’’  Azia and Al the second told their mom, ‘’now let’s go home mom’’.  Adna told them, ‘’I will speak to them and thank them for allowing us to borrow their place.  Thank you..Thank you..’’  they all left after Adna gave thanks to those whose spirits still remain in that place.  It was a sudden death, they were not prepared, so they could not accept they must leave their home.  It takes time for them to accept that they no longer belong to that place.  The fear of Azia and Al the second was replaced with prayers, they understand their mom’s wisdom for such a situation.  

When they arrived home, Al the second told his mom,  ‘’we will travel again mom’’.  Lex who heard Al the second answered,  ‘’we will look for a hotel in that place first before we go.  We don’t know the story of the house so it is better to go to a hotel because it is newly built and so many guests are there too.  Azia then answered, ‘’we will just stay in one room, a family room in that hotel’’  Adna said, ‘’’yes, but we start saving money first for that travel’’    Let us have dinner now, call your dad.  They enjoyed the food at home, Adna cooked delicious foods for her family.

0