Chapter 9 – Meet Issac (3)
359 9 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Issac, there’s a man at the orphanage entrance saying he’s your father”

What bullshit are you spewing - was exactly Issac’s thoughts when he heard this.

However, it wasn’t bullshit. Nor was it a lie. 

The tall man with his red flaming hair and eyes, claimed to be his father.

“You look just like your mother.” 

The stiff face looked at him with calm eyes and held sorrow, as if he was reminiscing about someone through peering at his face.

“I’m sorry I should’ve found you earlier.”

His words of apology held no meaning to Issac. His mother had never mentioned his father, so Issac just assumed he was dead or hurt his mother enough for her to want to forget. 

He held nothing but bitterness towards his father who was never there for him or his mother during hard times and just sashays into his life when everything was over.

But he put on a lovely smile.

This man claiming to be his father was Duke Yttrea, a man with high status and position. He worked as a prime minister and was a smart man praised for his extraordinary abilities, even if he had been a shitty father and husband to Issac and his mother.

This was power and money handed to him on a silver platter. It was everything Issac had wanted, despite being a step too late. However, if he took this opportunity he won't have to suffer ever again. 

Why would one deny this?

Issac was escorted to the Duke’s mansion from the outskirt village. On the journey, the servants cleaned him and dressed him up with clothes he had never thought he would get close to, let alone wear them on his body.

They tidied his ragged hair and lathered it in fragrant oil - his hair shone in colours Issac had never seen before.

He listened closely to the servant’s gossip while feigning ignorance and learned of the internal affairs of the Duke’s house. He probed for information from the people caring after his necessities.

“Big sister, do you know who I’m going to be staying with after this?”

“Ah! Young master, please address us more formally. As for your question, well… You have a sister called Rosette. You’ll be staying with her in the mansion located in Yttrea Duchy.”

‘Yeah, after all you can’t go around bringing your illegitimate child to the mansion in capital where your current wife is staying.’

“Is my sister kind?”

“She’s… quiet. She’s timid and too mature for her age. She doesn’t have any expression on her face, sometimes it’s scary to see a seven-year-old act that way.”

After more snooping around, Issac learned it had not been fine and dandy on Rosette's end either. Whilst he had his mother’s love while growing, Rosette had none.

But he felt no pity for the girl who was his sister.

While the Duke cared about Issac who resembled his lover, he paid no attention to Rosette. Bringing his illegitimate child into a mansion and asking him to stay there would only arouse unnecessary jealousy in a neglected kid like Rosette. Issac knew this much.

He could already see himself being bullied by the staff in the mansion and his sister.

Not that he’d retaliate. Obviously an outsider and legitimate child had different standing. Before he holds any power, he’d just have to take whatever’s thrown at him.

‘But it would be best if there was no confrontation at all.’

Yes. Issac did think that. When Issac thought that it would be best if there was no confrontation, he was expecting more on “ignoring and co-existing”.

However, the girl wasn’t exactly how the servants have described her. She smiled as soon as she saw Issac. Far from being quiet and mature, she was happily chatting away as she pointed and giggled at the flower beds like any 7 year old child would.

Is this the same Rosette the maids described?

“Young Lady Rosette.” A man disturbed their garden viewing. He glanced at Issac and gave a bow towards the two.

“Oh Paul!” Rose smiled graciously at the man. “Issac, this is Paul, our head butler. If you have any troubles, please mention it to him and he’ll help you.”

“Okay! Nice to meet you Paul.” Issac smiled cheerfully.

“Yes. Young master Issac, I hope you enjoy your stay in the mansion.” Paul smiled rigidly in return. 

This man doesn’t like me. His words intends that my ‘stay' was temporary. Tsk... such petty way of using words to attack. 

I’m sure he didn’t expect a child like me to pick up on it.

Issac ignored the provocation as he returned an enthusiastic 'Thank you'.

“Paul, I hope you can prepare a room for Issac quickly. There should be an empty room beside mine - please renovate it according to Issac’s preferences.” 

Rosette continues commanding the head butler over many other tasks regarding the room and the man promptly obeys her every words.

Issac silently observed the interaction.

Issac found this strange. It's natural for an adult to at least feel cramped obeying a child several years younger and less experienced. Even if the girl was his employer, the man’s expression held no doubt that whatever the girl’s commands were reasonable. There was an element of trust. 

Issac concluded the chemistry between the two was quite good - but what happened that made a grown man obey a young girl this unconditionally?

“Issac, please make sure to tell Paul what you want in your room okay? Also sorry I should’ve asked, but are you fine with having your room next to mine? May be you’ll prefer a room downstairs?”

“No I’m good with staying next to Rosette.”

'After all, I think I might need to observe you a bit closer. Why are you so different from the servant's stories? What position do you hold in this mansion exactly?'

“Good! Now before your room is ready, is it okay if you have to share a room with me?”

“Un?”

“It’s okay. My room is reaaaally big” Her arms extended as she waved it up and down to gesture the size of her room. “And my bed can probably fit 6 Pauls in there.” She pointed at Paul and grinned smugly.

“I-I see.”

“I think your bed room will take about a week to get ready. But I don’t want to put you in any guest room. So it’ll be better to sleep in my room.”

‘May be she’s putting on a front now and the bullying is going to happen in hindsight? In her room?’

“Don’t be shy! I’m sure father would also like us to get along.”

'Hey don’t bring the father card! We both know he doesn’t care!'

However, giving into Rosette's persuasion, Issac reluctantly agreed. “Then… If you’re okay with me intruding your room.”

“YES!” Rosette jumped towards Issac and hugged him tightly with a squeeze. Issac’s air escaped from his lungs, leaving him short of breath.

Paul onlooked this exchange from the sidelines with a strange taste in his mouth.

‘Young lady probably hasn’t met children her age, so she’s quite lively today. But that boy… I have a bad feeling.’ 

Meanwhile, Rosette dived her face into Issac’s shoulder with a satisfied grin.

23