Chapter 15 – The adventurer becomes a teacher (3)
328 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I have very little clue on how you did it, but keep it a secret if you want to continue living a peaceful life.”

‘I know he means well for me but the way he phrased it sounds like he’s black-mailing.’

“Another important point is to make sure you don’t overuse your mana when you cast magic spells.

Mana is a life-force, so depleting too much of it will also lead to death. This is also why there are more people who use ‘channelling surrounding mana’ method, even though using one’s intrinsic mana allows more stable control over the element.

You’ll find out your mana capacity when you measure it with a meter. Usually they do it when you reach 14 years old for commoners. If your mana is abnormally high, they recruit you for Royal Academy as a talent.

But I guess for rich brats like you, the families probably have one privately done.”

Hugo paused and considered his words before slowly continuing.

“I don’t even want to think about the fuss that will come when news spread about your shortcut chant, so cut me some slack.”

“Hahaha….” Rosette laughed dryly.

She was at least thankful Hugo's line of thinking more or less matched hers; "to live a drama-free life". It would have been bad if he had enthusiastically drag her to some magic guru making a big deal out of it.

“Let’s try other elements?” She suggested, and they continued.

After messing around with four primary elements, Hugo got more and more silent with each time a ‘shortcut chant’ was done. Rosette discovered she didn’t particularly find any of the elements easier to control than other.

Conclusion: She either suck at all of them, or she is a pro for all 4 elements.

Rosette seriously prayed it’s the latter case, opening a path for her to become a massive cheat character.

She shrugged at Hugo with a smug grin.

“Howzzit teacher? You like my skillz?”

“Ah— my blood pressure”

He pinched the bridge of his nose with one hand while holding the back of his neck with another. With a dramatic sigh, Hugo stared at the skies with remnant eyes of a dead fish.

“I really should’ve asked for more salary.”

Hugo already warned Rosette he’s a practical teacher, not a theoretical one. 

Being a commoner, he himself had not attended Royal Academy, a proper way to go about learning magic by combining theory from books and practicing with peers. 

In reality, Hugo's main forte has always been a position of a tank, his main weapons being two large dual axes he carried on his back. Magic was something he picked up along the way to compliment his strength, it was not his main method of fighting.

He learned magic from a senior at the Adventurer’s guild while working on missions. Therefore his magic was crude and practical, a stark contrast to the fancy impractical ones taught by private tutors of other nobles.

While knowing bare basics and nothing else when it comes to theory of magic, Hugo still pushed through with experience. What he lacked for in magic, he compensated with brute physical force. 

Hugo’s forever mantra has always been ‘If it works, it works.’  and therefore his way of using magic has always been unconventional. But his way of doing things got him to A-rank, so there was no complaints on his end.

With that said, he left Rosette to study theoretical aspects of magic while he answers any tough questions not answered by books.

><><><><><><

The past three days have been busy for Rosette with Hugo’s teaching sessions, while Issac has been busy adapting to living in this house. He could be seen talking to Paul about his room refurbishments during the day, in the evenings different tailors came to fit him new clothes. 

Rosette still saw Issac at night when he visits her room to sleep, but they were both thoroughly exhausted by the time they see each other.

Bringing a children story book to read each night, Rosette would ask Issac to help her read. This helped assess how much he knew when it came to literature. Fortunately, they were written to help children understand. Even though they lacked illustrations, it was already something to praise they cut down the word to get to the main point instead of dancing around the bush 50 times.

Fortunately, Issac didn’t seem like he had troubles with reading or writing. Rosette planned to slowly increase difficulty of the books she brings to read as time passes.

“Issac~” Rosette peeked her head through the library doors looking for the pink-haired boy. It had been a few days since she interacted with him during the day.

A large two-storey library greeted her - large tall bookshelves stood against walls and shelves were organised neatly with carefully preserved scrolls. A lingering scent of old books filled her nostrils.

Books were a rare commodity - after all, printing technique was not known in this age just yet and every copy of the book has been hand-copied. Paper making technology is not advanced - therefore while having paper suitable for writing, it costed fortune.This greatly increased the cost of each book. Also explained why illustrations were rare and words were packed into each page to make the best use of paper.

Having a large amount of books enough to pack a two-storey library just flaunted how rich the Duke was.

“Rosette? I'm here!”

The voice replied from a corner of the library. 

Rosette headed towards the call to reach a boy who sat on the windowsill, leaning against the window where sunlight generously poured into the room. 

He turned to look towards her with an angelic smile. With sunlight as his backdrop, it appeared as he descended from heaven to bless Rosette and cleanse her soul.

‘Uwahh, this is totally a picturesque moment. If only cameras exist- ahem’

Rosette cleared her thoughts and approached the boy, trying to find out what book he was reading.

‘Languages of the Western continent - Encyclopedia’

“Are you trying to learn a new language?”

“Un, I want to speak to a lot of people and know a lot of things.” He opened his arms wide, gesturing how much 'a lot' means to him with a big grin on his face.

It was seriously cute.

“That’s a good plan. Maybe I should study one too. Shall we learn together?”

She smiled, sitting on the empty space on the windowsill beside Issac.

“But Rosette already knows a foreign language?”

“???” She tilted her head to ponder. “I do?”

Rosette did not know any language from this world except Albanese (Language of Alban Kingdom) - and she had not learned this, but rather it was ingrained in Rosette’s body. 

The existence of other languages in this world slipped her mind, which was stupid now that she thought of it, since there existed more than one country in this world.

May be if she sees a new language, she’ll be able to read it since translation usually is a build-in feature for isekai?

Meanwhile, Issac looked at the pondering Rosette and recalled his memory from the first night he spent in the Duke’s mansion.

‘No, that definitely wasn't Albanese'

“So what language is Issac trying to learn?” Rosette smiled and asked Issac.

He beamed and pointed at a page in the book. “Koran Empire’s language - Korean”

“Oh! Yeah since it’s close to us, it should be useful. I wonder what its character looks like- un?”

Rosette paused when Issac showed her a page of the encyclopedia referring to ‘Korean’

‘Isn’t this actual KOREAN?!’

Of course, as a kdrama enthusiast in her previous life, even if Rosette wasn’t fluent in Korean, she could at least recognise its hangul characters.

‘Wow god must be really fucking with me right now’


A/N: Hope you enjoyed the read!

22