Chapter 158: The Council of City Lords
3.5k 11 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 158: The Council of City Lords

 

  Elzri Noir, leader of the Great House of Noir of the Seven Ruling Families, famed mage lord, and greatest arch-mage in Hollow Shade, hesitated as he stood in front of the tall adorned golden doors. Before any of his other titles he was first and foremost one of Hollow Shade’s seven city lords. 

  Behind these doors stood the six other most influential men and women in all of Hollow Shade, the leaders of the Seven Ruling Families, the city lords and ladies.

  Winter had ended, spring was already in the air, flowers were beginning to bloom, and still the city council had yet to properly discuss the attack on Castle Mora. Politics, business, and personal matters had stopped one city lord or another from attending the council, until now. 

  Everything surrounding the attack on Castle Mora was strange, and Elzri himself was still trying to deduce what should be done. Yet the time for personal deliberation was over.

  Elzri sighed, “Here we go.”

  He placed his orichalculm nameplate on the doors. Several arcane sigils lit up around the doorway, heavy gears rumbled from within the walls, the door’s locks opened. Elzri pushed the golden doors wide open and strode into the council room. 

  The pristine black marble floor contrasted with the white marble high-ceilings. There were no windows, enchanted gold-plate lanterns hung over pale white pillars, and illuminated the room in a soft blue. Dozens of elite mage-guards stood silently besides the pillars and the golden entrance. They were cloaked in black armor with the sigil of Hollow Shade emblazoned on their breastplate, a skull surrounded by the tendrils of a black sun.

  The room was obscenely large, yet there was only one fixture inside, a long ebony wooden table in the shape of a “∩.” The room itself was shaped in a “∩,” the outer ring was built high, with over a dozen marble steps needed to reach the top where the council’s table sat. The inner ring and the entrance of the room was built a dozen feet below, so that visitors would be forced to look up to the council above.

  Seven ornate chairs sat on the outer ring of the table, where the city lords would sit and judge the one standing below them. Six of the chairs were already filled. The other city lords turned their heads at Elzri’s entrance.

  Lady Glaz, head of the city council and the leader of the most powerful Ruling Family, House Glaz, sat at the center chair of the table.

  “Uncle Elz, took you long enough,” Lady Glaz yawned dramatically.

  “Thank you for waiting,” Elzri made his way up the black marble steps.

  Glaz’s eyes never left him as he walked. Elzri never broke eye contact with the elegant dark elf woman either. Besides being a City Lady, Glaz was a Mage Lady and arguably the only arch-mage capable of going toe-to-toe against Elzri in a battle. The last thing Elzri wanted was to show a sign of weakness in front of such a dangerous foe.

  Life was often strange. Elzri had been married to her father’s cousin. Lady Glaz had grown up admiring Elzri. But after the death of his wife, the relationship between House Glaz and House Noir became tenuous. Eventually, Lady Glaz became the leader of her family and her admiration turned into rivalry; she wanted to prove herself to her hero, even if it meant in a mage duel, something Elzri avoided for the sake of both Houses.
  Lady Glaz was in her forties now, Elzri was 30 years her senior and still she was eager as ever to challenge him. He wished that her second son, Vayu, would marry Loh already. The two Ruling Houses could enter a formal alliance once more and be done with these contests of power. 

  Elzri took his seat on the right side of the table, between Lord Krall Katag and Lady Helene. He took a brief moment to admire Helene’s beauty before sitting down.

  The lovely Merchant Lady Helene was dressed in a bright green dress, a golden necklace in the shape of a horse rested between her pronounced bust. Her iconic vibrant red hair curled softly around her chiseled face. Elzri had to admit that for a human in her 50s Helene’s looks rivaled beauties half her age.

  Lady Helene smiled warmly, “You look tired, Lord Noir, you really need to take better care of yourself.”

  “And you look as radiant as ever, how do you do it?” Elzri smiled courteously.

  “A woman never reveals her secrets, not even to the renowned arch-mage,” she winked.

  “How is the family?” Krall asked quietly from Elzri’s left, at the end of the table.

  Despite not being a dire, Krall was one of the largest orcs Elzri had ever met, as expected of the warriors of House Katag, the greatest military family in all of Hollow Shade. The orc’s blue jacket did nothing to hide his crimson rippling muscles, Elzri wondered if Krall’s buttons would burst at the seams once again.

  Elzri shrugged, “I haven’t seen Dolores this depressed since my grandson passed. Her husband is staying by her side, making sure she doesn’t drink herself to death. Loh is, well, Loh. So the family is fine, I suppose.”

  Krall nodded sympathetically, “Tauri suggested we invite you all over to our house for dinner like the old days. I agree with her. My other children would like to see Loh as well, it’s been too long since they’ve all been together.”

  “Those days are long behind us now, old friend. Loh isn’t keen on stepping back into the aristocratic life. She recently visited our family mansion for the first time in years and even that was a struggle for her,” Elzri whispered.

  “So, there is still hope?” Krall asked.

  “Doubtful, Loh stormed out after talking with her mother,” Elzri shook his head.

  Lady Glaz cleared her throat and stood, “Now that the seven of us have gathered we can officially begin today’s meeting.” 

  Her voice echoed across the room and reached everyone’s ears clearly. The six other city lords and ladies raised their right hands in agreement.

  “Good,” Lady Glaz sat down. “Lord Goldelm, you called for this meeting, so why don’t you begin.”

  “Thank you,” Lord Goldelm nodded from the other end of the table.

  Despite having a raised chair, the dwarf stood so that he could appear more prominent among his peers. As the family name denoted, the Goldelms were known for their golden irises and being the wealthiest House in Hollow Shade. Their family leader celebrated those facts more than anyone.

  Lord Goldelm’s blonde hair and beard were both braided in golden bands and his fingers were each covered in golden rings studded with all different kinds of precious gems. Even gold filigree covered his orange silk jacket.

  Nobody in the council chamber could deny Lord Goldelm was a handsome man, although Elzri thought it would be difficult to notice since the dwarf dressed up like a golden peacock.

  Lord Goldelm cleared his throat, “My fellow lords and ladies, I think we all know why I called this meeting. One of our city’s Great Houses was attacked by savage raiders.”

  The council members nodded in acknowledgement.

  “House Mora’s ancestral home was destroyed, their docks burned to the ground, and the family and servants slaughtered. Yet we haven’t responded. We, the most powerful council in the entire Ebon Realm, haven't done anything. It’s been almost a month and we haven’t done anything!” Lord Goldelm slammed his fist down into the ebony wood table.

  “Enough with the theatrics, Goldelm,” Lady Helene rolled her eyes. “House Mora wasn’t even a part of Hollow Shade, they were simply our allies, a useful one, certainly, but nothing more. Besides, House Mora still lives, I hear their young heiress, Lady Maeve, now leads the family.”

  Goldelm snarled, “You forget, House Mora owned the largest docks on the Dire River that served as the main trade port between the Great Cities of Hollow Shade and Frost Rim. Those docks are but ash and cinder now. Yet Hollow Shade still relies on trade for its prosperity. Our city has suffered tremendous damage over this tragedy.”

  Helene clasped her hands together, “Hollow Shade’s economy may have taken a hit due to the newfound difficulty in the river trade with Frost Rim, but we will manage. However, it would be a pity if, say, a particularly wealthy merchant lord had recently invested large amounts of coin into the river trade. Such an investment would fall to ruin, I'd wager.”

  Goldelm’s eyes narrowed, “What are you implying?”

  “You are not the only Merchant House here. Did you really think I wouldn’t keep a close eye on all the major businesses in this city? I think we both know why you are really angry,” Helene smirked.

  Goldelm’s eye twitched. “I am not the only lord who has been directly affected by the attack on House Mora. My friend, Lord Veres, has just lost his brother-in-law and his nephews and nieces. Have some respect for the dead,” Goldelm gestured to Lord Veres on his left.

  “My deepest condolences for your family, Lord Veres,” Helene bowed from across the table.

  Veres IX nodded solemnly, “I appreciate it... Truth be told, I hated Lord Mora and I am glad he is dead. Nonetheless, I cared greatly for my nieces and nephews.”

  Veres tapped the table, “The raiders who attacked the castle have been identified as belonging to Dusk Valley’s Cairn Tribe. I agree with Lord Goldelm that something must be done about these savages. House Veres will avenge the deaths of my late sister’s children, no matter what this council decides.”

  “You are not alone in this, Veres. Hollow Shade must appear unified in our response to this situation,” Lady Calantha Ashe’s voice echoed gently yet with a strength that no one could refuse.

  All eyes turned towards the vampiress. Lady Calantha sat between Lord Veres and Lady Glaz. The council waited silently for her to speak.

  House Ashe was in charge of the religious ongoings of the city and Calantha served as the high priestess of Hollow Shade. The Ashe family itself was the most popular Named House in all of Dusk Valley, especially among the common folk. Calantha was undoubtedly the most beloved daughter of the City of Shades.

  One look at the vampiress was enough to understand why. Even Lady Helene had difficulty competing with Calantha. Lady Ashe’s pale white dress matched flawlessly with her dark brown skin. Her soft curves only enhanced her graceful appearance. 

  Calantha’s dark curls fell above her piercing crimson eyes that watched each council member calmly. Many had told stories of those blood-red eyes, that they could see even into one’s soul. Elzri knew there was nothing magical about Calantha’s eyes, yet there was a great intelligence hidden behind them, one that even Elzri was wary of. If he was religious, he would undoubtedly believe the stories of how Calantha had been blessed by the war goddess Bellum herself.

  Elzri was always amazed at how easily Calantha managed to command a room. Lady Ashe was more than priestess, she was a powerful mage, with the knowledge and wisdom of spells even Elzri did not know.

  “Fear has crept into the hearts of all our people, from the lowliest commoner to wealthiest aristocrats. We must reassure the people of Hollow Shade that we are in control of the situation and they have nothing to fear from the savages beyond the walls,” Calantha said.

  “What do you suggest, Lady Ashe?” Lady Glaz asked.

  “We must first acknowledge the loss of House Mora, otherwise we risk appearing as if we are trying to run and hide from the problem. We should have a city-wide memorial service for House Mora and then follow it up quickly with a celebration for the end of the long bitter winter. Perhaps a parade. We’ll have several battalions of our soldiers march throughout the streets,” Calantha explained.

  “A display of power to show that we are not weak to help reassure and calm the people,” Veres nodded.

  “Precisely,” Calantha nodded.

  “And beyond that?” Krall asked. “I hate to agree with the little Goldelm dwarf, but we must retaliate against the raider scum. We cannot let the Cairn Tribe go unpunished for their crimes. If we do, we risk the other Valley tribes thinking they can do the same. Dusk Valley could become a very dangerous place for all of us to live in.”

  Elzri spoke up, “Agreed, we cannot forget that Hollow Shade relies on the food that the farms of Dusk Valley’s villages provide. Those villages rely on our protection from the Valley tribes’ raiders. We should gather all our armies, no matter the financial costs, and eradicate our enemy to the last man. The Valley tribes may each be small, but they can be spread out and difficult to track. We should not take this threat lightly. It does not matter how many months or years it may take, these savages cannot be allowed to wreak havoc in Dusk Valley any longer.”

  Lady Glaz took a deep breath, “Uncle Elz, you are a pragmatic individual, which is why I hate to ask, is your push for an all-out-attack rooted in the fact that the Cairn Tribe was responsible for the death of your grandson?”

  Elzri’s voice grew cold, “You have studied my past to great detail, Lady Glaz. So I think you should know exactly where my priorities lie and what I have sacrificed to keep this city safe.”

  Lady Glaz nodded, “That’s all I needed to hear.”

  “All that being said, I believe we should take care in how we approach our enemy. I have reason to believe they have an arch-mage among them,” Elzri said.

  “Well, that’s a problem,” Lady Glaz blinked.

  “Fucking savages,” Krall growled.

  Everyone paused for a moment, their attention drawn to the large red looming figure of Krall Katag. They were all very aware of Krall’s reputation as a true brown mage. There were dozens of horror stories about Krall’s berserk frenzies and the countless bodies he left behind.

  Lady Glaz cleared her throat, “I believe it is time we call for a vote on the matter.”

  “Aye,” the others, besides Krall, said eagerly.

  “The options are simple. We can choose a full-scale war effort against the enemy. Or a smaller attack force, comprised of several battalions to root out the Cairn tribe. Or we can send our scout forces out to investigate more about our enemy to ascertain their complete military strength. Lastly, we can simply choose to wait and see how the situation develops,” Lady Glaz explained.

  Everyone nodded in understanding.

  “All in favor of a full-scale war effort towards the Cairn Tribe?” Lady Glaz asked.

  Lord Krall Katag, Lord Elzri Noir, and Lord Veres raised their hands in favor. Lady Glaz, Lord Goldelm, and Lady Calantha Ashe voted against the proposal. Lady Helene abstained from the vote altogether.

  “I thought you were eager to retaliate, Goldelm?” Krall narrowed his amber eyes.

  Lord Goldelm shifted his jacket’s collar, “Employing all my armies would be an expensive waste. We don’t need so many soldiers to defeat one small Valley tribe.”

  “Typical coward,” Krall shook his head.

  “I prefer the term practical,” Goldelm crossed his arms calmly.

  “The vote is a tie, on to the next proposal,” Lady Glaz said.

  They went through each proposal and after half an hour the council ended up voting in agreement for the scouts proposal. 

  “I think this is the best option for now. If they really do have an arch-mage it would be best to learn their full capabilities before we sacrifice our own soldiers. I will pray to the gods for wisdom on what our next course of action should be. Perhaps they will show us a way out of this situation,” Lady Calantha Ashe said solemnly.

  Lord Goldelm pointed his stubby finger at Lady Helene, “You abstained from each vote.”

  “And? I have yet to decide on what the best course of action for my House and this city should be. Is that a crime?” Lady Helene placed a finger on her red lips.

  “Typical House Helene, your family always stays neutral until it serves you best. Just like when your family betrayed House Thorn during Hollow Shade’s war,” Goldelm jeered.

  “This again,” Lady Helene muttered. “That was over two centuries ago and as I recall, none of the families in this room would have survived had my family not defected to your side.”

  “Aye, your family broke the stalemate. But don’t pretend your family did it out of some innate kindness. House Helene would never have been a Ruling Family if they hadn’t defected when they did,” Goldelm said.

  “The Ruling Families would not have existed at all had my House not helped you win the civil war. Your Houses would have all just been stuck serving the last ebon lord and his family,” Helene’s lips grew thin.

  “Ebon Lord Thorn had already passed away, we had a shot at winning with or without House Helene!” Goldelm yelled.

  “I need a drink,” Elzri sighed.

 

 

Short Recap of the 7 Ruling Families (More info can be found in the  glossary):

      House Noir: A drow family, known as the most powerful Mage House in Hollow Shade. (Notable Members: Elzri, Loh)
      House Veres: A vampire family, known for their long legacy of military and magical accomplishments. (Notable Members: Callum, Veres IX)
      House Glaz: A drow family, known as the overall most powerful House in Hollow Shade. (Notable Members: Lady Glaz, Vayu)
      House Ashe: A vampire family, the most famous House in all of Dusk Valley. They are a very religious family who are also in charge of all the religious proceedings in Hollow Shade. (Notable Members: Calantha)
      House Katag: An orc family and the youngest House of the Seven Ruling Families. They are known for their great warriors and as the greatest Martial House in Hollow Shade. (Notable Members: Krall, Tauri)
      House Goldelm: A dwarf family known for their expertise in enchantment magic. They are first and foremost a Merchant House and the wealthiest family in Hollow Shade. (Notable Members: Lord Goldelm, Freya)
      House Helene: A human family and a Merchant House. The Helene family is known for their great intellect and beauty. (Notable Members: Lady Helene, Marek)

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

126