Chapter 162: Newlyweds Date
3.7k 27 125
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 162: Newlyweds Date

 

  Hollow Shade’s bells tolled throughout the morning in solidarity for the grave losses of House Mora and the other families. On the behest of Lady Calantha Ashe, every temple held a memorial service for the deaths of the Moras and the ones who were at Castle Mora. Commoners, merchants, magi, and aristocrats alike all visited the ebon gods’ temples to pay their respects and acknowledge the valley tribe’s attack.

  Lady Ashe, the high priestess of Hollow Shade, led the memorial at the city’s principal temple in the Central District. It was said that Lady Maeve Mora herself was in attendance. Stryg had no idea, he hadn’t spoken with Maeve since the attack on the castle, nor had he attended the service at the principal temple.

  Instead, Stryg had gone to a small temple in the south region of the Commoner District. Karen had assisted the temple head-priest Elm in the memorial service. None of the attendees besides Stryg knew the Moras and Stryg didn’t bother bringing up his acquaintance with the family. 

  The service passed by quickly, with many fearful whispers of what might happen if the savage raiders from Dusk Valley would turn their sights on Hollow Shade.

  The service ended a little before noon, with a prayer to the gods, led by Elm. Stryg was simply glad it was over and made his way towards the temple doors.

  Elm spoke up, “Ah, before I forget, everyone. I have been instructed by the priests at the principal temple to remind you all that Hollow Shade will be holding a city-wide celebration for the end of winter, commencing this very afternoon.”

  “As if anyone forgot,” Feli said under her breath.

  “What? Celebration? Like a festival? Today?” Stryg’s pupils shrunk.

  “Yeah, I told you about it last night. How did you forget?”

  “Um. Was this before I took off your clothes or after?”

  “After,” she said suspiciously. 

  “Yeah, I was too busy by that point,” Stryg stared pointedly at her shapely butt.

  Feli rolled her eyes, “Sometimes it feels like you're not listening at all.”

  “Hm? What?” Stryg looked up at her.

  “Nevermind,” she said with puffed cheeks.

  Feli walked out of the temple at a brisk pace. Stryg was smaller than most people, he always had to walk faster to keep up with them. Feli was no exception, he was forced to jog to stay at the same pace with his wife.

  “Sooo, I was thinking of going back to the academy to train with Loh,” Stryg said.

  Feli jerked to a halt, “What? We just got married and the first thing you want to do is go out to train?”

  Stryg blinked, “Yes?”

  “Whatever,” she marched off.

  Stryg reached out and grabbed her arm, “Did I do something wrong? Why are you angry?” 

  “I’m not angry,” she sighed. “It’s just, I had a whole date planned out for us today, and you didn’t even remember, nor do you really seem to care.”

  “...Sorry, this is all new to me. My people don’t really have dates. We don’t have marriages either,” Stryg muttered.

  “An apology from you? That’s rare. You usually just bite me,” Feli interlaced her fingers with his own.

  “Oh, I’d like to sink my teeth into your soft skin,” Stryg’s pupils widened.

  “Stooop~” She giggled and pushed him away playfully.

  He smiled, “Forget about the training. Where do you want to go?”

  Feli placed a finger on her red lips, “Hm… A bunch of vendors are setting up shops in the Central District for the parade, let’s go there first.”

  “The Central District is pretty far,” he said thoughtfully.

  “But there is an entrance fee, so I think if we hurry there will still be space. Maybe we should stop by home and have Rhian take us?”

  “Nah, Rhian went to the spa with her stablehand Gwen. They probably won’t be back till dark. Besides, I’ve got a better idea.”

  Stryg stepped behind Feli.

  “What are you doi- ah!” Feli squealed with delight.

  Stryg slipped his head between her legs and lifted her up onto his shoulders.

  “Much better,” Stryg grinned up at her.

  Feli was suddenly very glad she wore pants instead of a skirt today.

  “What, do you really think to carry me all the way to the Central District?” Feli blushed.

  Stryg rubbed his cheek on her thigh, “If I can keep your legs between my face? Definitely.”

  “Pervert,” she laughed.

  Stryg spell-casted a basic agility spell. Orange mana flowed into his legs, the veins in his lower half darkened.

  “Hold on tight,” he crouched.

  “To what?”

  Stryg kicked off the ground and dashed away. Feli screamed.

~~~

  The run over to the district was tumultuous at best. Thankfully, after several bumpy turns, Feli managed to get a steady grip on Stryg’s arms that wrapped around her legs. People looked up at the strange couple in surprise as they dashed by. Feli was too busy to care, her purple hair blew in the wind as Stryg ran across the streets with an unexpected gracefulness.

  By the time they reached the Central District they were both out of breath.

  “All things considered, that was pretty quick,” Stryg lowered her to the ground.

  “I can’t believe you actually ran the whole way,” Feli panted.

  “I may be small, but I’m quite fast,” Stryg grinned.

  “You’re not even that small anymore. You reach up to my shoulder now,” Feli stood next to him.

  “You’re not tall though,” Stryg shook his head.

  “That hurts coming from a goblin.”

  “You know what I mean.”

  “Sure, but my original point still stands. Have you ever seen a goblin over 4 feet?”

  “I don’t think so?”

  “Well, you look a little over 4 feet and a half now. That makes you the tallest goblin you have ever met.”

  “Huh, that’s an odd thought,” Stryg scratched his cheek.

  Most of the people he knew were taller than him, he had never thought of himself as tall.

  “Must be that hybrid blood kicking in. I remember when we first met you were around 3 feet and a half. You barely used to reach my waist,” she pointed at her own hips.

  “Have I really grown that much?” Stryg’s eyes widened. “I hadn’t noticed.”

  “That’s because you don’t buy your own clothes. Do you have any idea how often I have to get you new pants?” Feli crossed her arms.

  “Oh… I guess I never really cared about my clothes that much...”

  “You also don’t care about fashion,” she sighed. “Luckily, I’m here.”

  “I guess so,” he smiled wryly. 

  “Look, there’s the parade.” Feli grabbed his hand and hurried towards the edge of the street. 

  A group of dancers and minstrels lead the parade. The crowd clapped as they frolicked past. The ground began to shake as a hundred heavily armored centaurs trotted behind them. Their riders held their swords, axes, and spears high, as if they were about to head into battle. Hundreds of armed soldiers followed in a steady march.

  “Looks like those valley tribes better watch out!” Someone in the crowd shouted.

  “Hollow Shade is out for revenge!” Another person yelled.

  The crowd clapped and cheered.

  “It’s great and all that Hollow Shade is going to stop that wretched Cairn Tribe, but I feel bad for Lady Mora. To have your whole family slaughtered by savage raiders and your home burned down all in one night? Ugh, I don’t want to imagine,” Feli shivered.

  “I don’t know, Maeve is stronger than you think. She’ll pull through.”

  Feli pulled Stryg away from the crowd, “Wait, you know Lady Maeve Mora?”

  “Uh, yes?”

  “Everyone’s been talking about her since the castle attack, everyone wants to know what really happened, all the details. I wanted to know what happened to you when you were there. And you never once thought to mention actually meeting Maeve freaking Mora until now? Why?”

  “You never asked,” Stryg shrugged.

  “Well, I’m asking now. Tell me all the juicy details. How did you two meet?”

  “It was about a year and a half ago, actually. She insulted my friends and me. Then she threw wine on me. Honestly, I was going to rip her throat out. But her cousin, Callum Veres, you know him, stopped me. Now that I think about it, that was the same night you and I really talked for the first time.”

  “So you two are enemies?” Feli asked worriedly.

  “No, we’re friends, I think? I’m not quite sure, she left without saying anything.”

  “What did you two talk about?”

  “I can’t say,” Stryg stared at the clouds.

  “What is that supposed to mean?” Feli looked at him suspiciously.

  “I told her I wouldn’t.”

  “...Do you like her?” Feli put a finger to his lips, “And before you answer, I don’t mean like as you like hot chocolate or how you like Clypeus as a friend. I mean are you having or interested in having a romantic relationship with her?”

  Stryg tilted his head, “You seem bothered?”

  “Of course I’m bothered! My husband might be seeing some vampire!”

  “I am not in a romantic relationship with Maeve, I haven’t even seen her since the attack on the castle,” Stryg said. 

  After all, romance wasn’t something he clearly grasped and Feli was the only person he was certain he romantically cared about.

  “I see,” Feli sighed in relief. “Good.”

  “Feli, when we got together I thought I told you my views on relationships,” Stryg said.

  Feli closed her eyes tight, “Look, I know you come from a people who treat sex and relationships very openly, but here, people don’t want to listen about how their spouse slept with some bitch. I am not one of the Sylvan folk.”

  Stryg wrinkled his button nose, “I don’t understand, what are you trying to say?”

  “Things have changed since the agreement we made that night we met. I fell in love with you... Look, I know, you might sleep with others, yada yada. You’ll probably end up marrying some mage or aristocrat at some point. It’s common practice in Hollow Shade for aristocrats and powerful magi to have multiple spouses. I get all of that, I do. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

  Stryg blinked, “Oh…”

  “Yeah…” Feli wiped her eyes.

  “I had no plans on marrying Maeve and I know she definitely doesn’t,” he said quietly.

  Feli didn’t respond.

  Stryg pointed to a stall in the distance, “Look, there’s a vendor selling those sweet puffs you really like.”

  “I’m not hungry,” she grumbled.

  “That’s not true, I heard your stomach growling on our way here,” Stryg poked her soft belly.

  She slapped his hand away and blushed, “Why were you listening to that?”

  “I have great hearing.”

  “Doesn’t mean you have to listen to my body, let alone my stomach.”

  “Yeah, but I like listening to your heartbeat, it’s comforting.”

  “Why don’t you just listen to your own heartbeat?” Feli muttered.

  “Mine’s weird, doctor Celica Skeller said my heart rate is too fast. I don’t know, I feel fine,” he placed his hand over his chest.

  She sighed and grabbed his hand, “You’re lucky I’m hungry.”

  His pupils widened to ovals, “Is it weird I want to bite you right now?”

  “Definitely.”

~~~

  Stryg and Feli bought some food to eat and kept wandering through the stalls afterward. Feli was eager to check out some of the more exotic and rare merchandise that the vendors had brought out for the festival.

  The newlyweds stopped by a pink stall with flashy trinkets on display.

  “Hello, dear guests, please have a look around!” The vendor, an older human with an immaculately trimmed beard smiled, revealing his silver teeth.

  “Thanks,” Feli smiled and glanced at his wares.

  “Not at all, fellow humans and… whatever splendid being you might be, are always welcome at my store,” the vendor grinned.

  Stryg ignored the jewelry, his attention was drawn to the stone necklaces hanging at the end of the stall. Each stone was marked with an arcane symbol, albeit incorrectly. Even if it was correct, without a magestone to serve as the mana storage, the enchantment was useless. He doubted an enchanter even made these necklaces.

  “My talismans caught your eye, ey?” The vendor walked over, grabbed one of the stone necklaces, and showed it to Stryg.

  “Talismans? What are they for?” The blue goblin stood on his toes for a closer look.

  “To ward off against misfortune, of course.”

  “Misfortune?”

  “Yes, you know, like when you see a pale white raven.” The vendor leaned forward, “Or worse, when one of those queers walks by you. I promise you this talisman will ward off against any misfortune they might bring to you and your lovely companion.”

  “You think gay people bring misfortune?” Stryg frowned.

  “Well, yes, obviously,” the vendor chuckled. “Perhaps your lovely companion can enlighten you.”

  “Not every human shares your backward beliefs old man,” Feli glared at him. “Stryg, let’s get out of here.”

  “Gladly,” Stryg nodded.

  As they walked away, Stryg glanced at Feli, her face was flushed with anger.

  “What was that about?”

  “Just some another stupid man clinging to the past,” Feli fumed.

  “Explain, please.”

  Feli sighed, “Humans aren’t originally from the Ebon Realm. My people came from the Jade Realm. I don’t know much about that Realm, what I do know is that humans over there worshipped the jade gods. One of their religious beliefs was that people who loved those of the same sex had something innately wrong with them, that they were wicked, even brought misfortune to others just by being around them.”

  “Hence, the talismans,” Stryg nodded.

  Feli clenched her jaw, “It wasn’t just that. I used to hear stories of people kicking them out of villages or even killing them on sight. It was so messed up. Even if the Schism cut off humans from the Jade Realm, even if most humans worship the ebon god Stjerne now, there are still many humans who have passed down their prejudice and stupid superstitions.”

  “My master once told me how humans brought their prejudice over from the Jade Realm, I guess it makes sense now,” Stryg muttered. 

  He recalled how humans made up the largest portion of the commoners in Dusk Valley.

  “How much have those human beliefs affected the people around here?” Stryg asked.

  “Some more than others, especially around Hollow Shade,” Feli admitted.

  Stryg thought of Plum and her worries about how others might treat her. Her decision to leave for Undergrowth was beginning to make more sense.

  “Not all of us humans are like that, you know. Some of the younger folk are breaking away from those ridiculous beliefs,” Feli said.

  “Like you?”

  “I was raised to understand that love comes in all different sizes and shapes,” she kissed his cheek.

  Stryg felt his cheek grow warm.

  “Are you blushing?” Feli laughed.

  “No,” he cleared his throat. “Oh, there’s another jewelry stall, wanna check it out?”

  “Sure, Mr. Blueberry.”

  “Blueberry?” Stryg frowned.

  “Because your round cheeks get dark blue whenever you blush,” Feli whispered.

  Stryg went to bite her but she had already run off to the stall. 

  After a few minutes, Feli had already picked out a bracelet. Stryg was still perusing the wares, but he pulled out his coin pouch and went to pay.

  He haphazardly searched his small leather bag for the right amount of coin while he glanced at the stall’s shiny wares. A small black coin slipped out of his pouch and fell on the table. The vendor’s eyes widened at the sight. Feli snatched it up in a heartbeat.

  She dropped the bracelet and grabbed Stryg’s wrist, “Let’s go. Now.”

  “Again?” Stryg whined as she pulled him away.

  “Why do you have an orichalcum coin lying around in your pocket!” Feli whispered furiously.

  “You know what that is?” Stryg asked in surprise.

  “Anyone with an eyeball knows what orichalcum is. Everyone in the tavern always talks about what they would do if they even got a sliver of the stuff. Do you have any idea how much this is worth?”

  “A lot?”

  Feli rolled her eyes, “Ugh, yes a lot. So why do you have it and why is it in your pocket of all places? You should keep it somewhere safe, not in a place a pickpocket will check.”

  “It was a gift. She told me to hold on to it, so I did,” Stryg shrugged.

  “Who is this she?”

  “The captain of the Singing Willow troupe. I told you about them, remember? Rhian and I watched their play, The Unfaltering Shield.”

  “I remember, you liked the battle scenes... What does this Captain look like?”

  “Hmm. Black curly hair, olive eyes, brown skin, a few inches taller than you, a little older looking, but quite pretty,” Stryg recalled.

  “And she just randomly gave you an orichalcum coin?” Feli narrowed her eyes.

  “I won a game.”

  “What game and how?”

  “I’m not quite sure.”

  “Did she pay you to sleep with her?”

  “No.”

  “Mhmm… Well, whatever happened, you should put the coin somewhere safe before you lose it.”

  He shook his head, “I can’t think of anywhere safer than having it with me.”

  She sighed, “You know vaults exist, right?”

  Stryg made a peeved face and hissed.

  “Fine, whatever,” Feli raised her hands. “If you’re going to keep it on you, you should at least not have it in your coin pouch.”

  “What do you mean?”

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

125