Chapter 4: Life In The Castle
201 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, you what is your actual name?” John wryly smiled.

“Lucas Harrison, you?” 

“Aaron Jones.” 

“I’m Charlotte Miller.” Mary cut in.

Audrey blankly stared at us completely confused, “Wait you guys had fake names? I didn’t even realize…”

I patted her shoulder, “It’s okay, not everyone is the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to these things.” 

“Pffft.” 

“Yeah yeah laugh all you want.” she snapped back. 

I then suddenly halted, “On a serious note, make sure you use our fake names when speaking in public.” 

The three of them nodded in unison.

At the end of our brief introductions in English, we requested an escort to the dining hall. Grrrr! My stomach grumbled at just the idea of being filled with food. After all, the last time I had a meal was when I was still on Earth.

We arrived at the massive dining hall in just a few moments and took a seat at a long table. As I pushed my chair forward, the pleasant scent of meat and other fragrant dishes wafted into my nose.

Much better than burnt wood and charred flesh. I unconsciously drooled. 

Without caring about manners or etiquette, we immediately dug into the royal food. Contrary to our expectations, the food was on par with high-class restaurants back on Earth—not that I went to those restaurants often. With each slice of steak, the juices erupted into a myriad of pleasant flavors coupled with the tender texture of the meat which melted in our mouths.

“Wow this is really good.” Charlotte mumbled through a mouthful of food.

I ignored her words and continued shoveling food into my mouth. I wasn’t going to waste a rare chance to scoff down probably the highest quality food in this world. In a matter of minutes, my plate was reduced to nothing but lingering juices and carrots. I fucking hate carrots.

Putting my knife and fork back on the plate, I remarked, “That was nice. Although they could have given us something other than carrots.” 

“Personally, I like-” 

“No they’re horrible.” I swiftly shot Charlotte down before she could finish her sentence.

“Whatever…”

We sat in silence for the remainder of our time eating until Aaron decided to speak up, “By the way, you mentioned something about an introduction...just what exactly was it?” 

I leaned back and sighed, “It was pretty bad, I got summoned to Vale—that's right the city that just fell. It was already pretty much screwed the moment I got there so the only thing I could do was escape." 

“By screwed what do you mean?” Audrey narrowed her eyes.

“The whole city was on fire and the streets had burnt corpses as far as the eye could see. The enemy troops also committed as many war crimes as possible, have you ever heard of being used as a test subject for acid spells? Honestly, the extent those bastards went to would even put the Nazi’s to shame.”

The three of them gasped at the description perhaps they thought this world would play out exactly like a novel where the hero would save the day whenever anything went wrong.

“And don’t get me started on the strength of the soldiers themselves. With their damn artillery fireballs and imperceivable sword swings. Hell, sometimes when they kicked off the ground it would crack.” 

I felt oddly relieved after ranting about the introduction. I guess it’s true when they say that venting to others can help you. Despite that, I still felt sick about the whole thing. 

“Thank you for such a delicious meal, we shall take our leave now.” said Audrey glancing at a maid in a victorian era outfit.

“Let me guide you to your personal quarters, esteemed heroes.” 

Heroes my ass. I scoffed.

The maid guided us to our separate bedrooms one by one till I was the last one left, “Excuse me, may I ask you something?"

“Of course, Lord Hero.” she nodded.

I reached into my pocket and took out a lollipop which I then handed to her, “Could you please lead me to the library?” 

“My lord, how could I accept such a gift?” her words defied her actions as her eyes sparkled.

“It’s not a gift, it’s just an incentive.” 

I guess she likes these types of sweets. I grinned.

“Of course, come this way Lord Hero.”

 

◊  ◊  ◊

 

“Wow translation magic even works on text?” I gaped at the text transforming into the English alphabet and then forming words. 

If I hadn’t seen it tearing people to pieces and incinerating them, I would probably think magic was the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

“Oh so you’re here?” Aaron’s voice interrupted my skim reading. 

“If it isn’t the esteemed hero, I am humbled to be in your glorious presence.” I smiled.

“Fuck off.”

“Hehe anyway what do you need?” 

“I was just wondering where you were, we had to greet a bunch of nobles earlier and I noticed you weren’t there.” 

“Well I’m just studying for when I leave. It’s not like I’m actually a hero.” I turned to the next page.

“But since we’re all from Earth I thought we could stick together you know?” he cast a dejected look. 

I spun around and looked him dead in the eye, “Look, what exactly am I going to do if I stick with you guys? Unlike you I don’t have an overpowered class or any combat prowess. I don’t want to fight for the sake of the kingdom or any of that bullshit. I’m not their disposable tool.” 

“But still…” 

“I know you’re not an idiot, just look at it from my point of view.” 

He exhaled after a few seconds, “I guess you’re right.” and then lumbered off. 

Now that he was gone I endeavored to study as much as possible. From fables to magic how-to guide's I missed nothing since this was the only chance I'd ever get to access an archive of this scale. Just like the food, I wasn't going to let this go to waste.

I read until the sun set and the moon shined in the starry night sky. I must have lost track of time, I better get back.

I strode out of the library with my shoulder slumped and back hunched, “It seems like the fatigue from the introduction finally caught up to me.” I grunted. 

Carefully mimicking the directions the maid gave me, I began to walk back. Other than my heavy footsteps against the polished stone floor, not even peep, could be heard. My conscience eventually became relaxed at the lack of disturbances, it seems I’d prefer the palace to be like this all the time.

I eventually arrived at my room and was about to twist the handle when the sound of screaming and crying caught my ears. 

Interesting. With my curiosity peaked and getting the better of me, my fatigue washed away and energy once returned. 

I decided to follow the cry and eventually ended up in a hallway with the King looking down upon a maid captured by two guards—the same maid I gave a lollipop too.

“You dare to try and poison me? Who sent you?” Andarion growled with reddened eyes.

She desperately pleaded her innocence, “It wasn’t me your highness, I swear.”

Why hasn’t she told him she was with me in the library for most of the time? Something isn’t right…

“Your lies shall not deceive me, if it wasn’t you how come you cannot give an alibi?”

This is bad, if she gets executed my lollipop will go to waste...wait no, this is the perfect opportunity actually. 

I marched towards them with my back straight and chin up, “I can testify for her, your majesty.” 

He glanced at me, “Speak or this wench shall be publicly executed by the break of dawn.” 

“Yes, your highness.” I politely bowed, “You see this maid accompanied us heroes during our meal and she also escorted me and assisted me in the library which most likely coincided with the time you ate.” 

“Also isn’t it somewhat suspicious that she cannot give an alibi no matter how much you speak to her? Sounds like a classical case of high-level black magic to me.” 

It has to be black magic, according to the texts in the library they can even curse people to be unable to speak about certain topics.

“Interesting, I guess the sudden news of an invasion has clouded my judgement.” he put his hand to his forehead, “Let the maid go and send word to guards, we seem to have a black rat on the loose.” 

The guards flinched at the word ‘black rat’. If I had to guess it would most likely be the term used for a black magic practitioner although, black magic was banned throughout the whole continent centuries ago.  

“Unbelievable, to think they would go to this extent…” the King mumbled as he trudged off with the guards leaving the maid lying on the ground. 

“You’re free to go now.” I walked over to the maid and gave her my hand, “How long are you going to pathetically lay on the ground like that for?” 

I long ago casted away my polite speech when talking to her in the library. She was probably the only person in this damn world I could speak to without wearing a mask.

“I can get up myself.” She lifted herself up and bowed, “Thank you.”

Although the way she thanked me may have appeared to have been pitiful, her voice contained enough gratitude to cover for it.

My improvised plan worked hehe.

We went our separate ways not long after she said thanks which prompted the fatigue that magically disappeared before to remerge like a crashing wave. 

“God I need to sleep…” I yawned while heading back to my room.

 

◊  ◊  ◊

 

I jolted awake in a cold sweat yet my body was also flushed from heat. With my heart pounding I kicked the blanket off myself, stood up and stared in the mirror. It was the same face as a few days ago yet it was different. Dark bags formed under my eyes and the young face that once had vigor was nowhere to be found. 

My suspicions were confirmed, the introduction affected my mental health more deeply than I originally thought.

This was the third time I suddenly woke up from a horrendous nightmare of explosions, burning buildings and death. No matter how hard I tried, I would always appear in the same building with the old man only to relive the events of introduction.

I paced around the room trying to get the images out of my but only then did I realize that the sun was shining above the foggy horizon of the tranquil capital city.

“I guess I’ll go back to reading.” I mumbled. 

I changed into my school uniform that was rather stylish in contrast to the clothing the other nobles wore. After tying the laces to my shiny black shoes I entered the hallway and shut the door behind me. 

Everyone else had yet to wake up hence the halls were dead silent and dimly lit. It was honestly the perfect atmosphere for a person like me. 

I made my way to the empty library and proceeded to read as much information as possible. In just seconds I immersed myself in the texts, putting my mind at ease.

Half an hour or so later, I was placing the first book I finished back into the shelf a female voice around the same age as mine appeared from behind, “I didn’t anyone else to be here this early.” 

“Yeah I’m just here to distract myself from other thoughts,” I swiveled around, “Do you need me for something?” 

The girl standing in front of me was honestly quite pretty with her smooth white skin and silky brown hair. If it wasn’t for that repulsive smile that noble ladies wore I would have probably fallen for her.

“I’m just surprised to see someone else here.” she pouted. 

I wasn’t interested so I just took another book and left, “Well I hope you have fun.” 

Her eyebrows slightly twitched as I walked away, her pride as a noble was probably wounded after I displayed my lack of interest. Not that I really give a shit about pride as a noble.

I read for a few more hours until it was time for breakfast. On my way there, the effects of my improvised plan really began to reveal itself.

“I heard one of the heroes stopped a maid from being falsely executed, I hope he’s handsome…” one of the maids whispered to another while I walked by. 

Yes that's right, treat me like royalty for the few days that I stay here. I devilishly grinned.

I attended breakfast with the rest of the summoned heroes. Apparently we're going to eat with the royal family, just great. 

We sat down in the same seats as dinner and, my eyes took the liberty to scan the area. King Andarion was sitting at the head of the table with the best chair. Meanwhile, his wife and the crown prince sat on the seats next to him. Then I noticed someone that I really didn’t expect to, the girl from the library...

I accidentally published the unproofread version. sorry.

6