V1C4: Crisis Resolution
329 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*oomph*

The kitchen line got pretty physical.  Like cattle pushing their way to the feeding trough. No one was dumb enough to throw open punches or kicks here with the godsquad watching.

But elbow jabs, gut checks, and shin busts?  Freely passed around.

Thanks to my upgrade I was able to take the lead in this scrimmage.  Even protecting Digger from the worst of it.

Since it was near the end of chow time pretty much only “zeros,” as Digger called them, were left.  No cyberware or enhancements.  So getting the food?  Went smoothly.  Eating it afterwards though?

Even with the church troops there were plenty of greedy eyes and sticky fingers.  So most shove it down their throats as fast as possible.  Emptying the pan and canteen before they even leave the perimeter.

(Ugh.  It looks like bad potato soup.  Or potatoes au rotten.)

*slurp*

(Yuck.  Tastes like worse potato soup.)

The white pasty substance and whatever that is chunks in it are not appetizing.  Doing my best to force it down but I’m not doing too well.

My little friend is getting concerned and starts whispering.

“Hurry up Shank.  We’ll get jumped.”

Nodding and seeing the perimeter only steps away.  I muster my willpower and guzzle the rest down then chug the canteen till it's empty.

*Erp*

(Okay now, let's just not throw it back up.)

[Attention…  Please do not vomit.  You will likely need every bit of fuel to survive until the next train.]

(Fuck.  Sorry.  Spent the last couple of decades eating like a king.  Would’ve killed any cook who brought me shit this nasty.  Even on campaign.)

We pass the perimeter back into the crowds and feel the eyes and fingers move on.  Preparing to pounce on the next potential victim.

(Jesus.  How hard is food to come by around here?)

[Reporting…  Unless there has been a dramatic shift since my last operation, food scarcity is a daily concern for the majority of the populace.  Since the planetary biosphere collapse, only enclosed spaces are typically feasible for commercial scale food production.  Limiting potential yields.]

(What the fuck?  Planetary biosphere collapse?!  Then where is the damn oxygen coming from?)

[Enough flora mutated to survive in the wasteland to maintain minimal levels of oxygen.  Additionally, several modified species are grown in less toxic regions.  Allowing humanity’s survival.]

(Lando said it best.  This deal is getting worse all the time.)

Suddenly I get an itch.  The, “someone is watching me,” itch.  As I continue following Digger through the masses I start homing in on the source.

Again find myself missing my Super-Senses cheat.  Takes way too long, seconds even, but finally zoom in and move my eyes to see.

(What the…  A superhero?)

My feet stop as I witness something I really did not expect to see in cyber-mad-max land.  Floating, yes that’s what I said, above the train is someone wearing the same body armor as the church soldiers but it's painted white and silvery instead.

The armor is clearly modified to fit a woman’s shape and this lady certainly has it.  Curves that is.  Big tits and a baby got back with a slim waist leave no doubt that she would be the most popular ride in the park.

A white cape and long blonde hair flow down from the top of the outfit. In front of that blonde hair is a sharp ivory skinned face and piercing sapphire eyes.

(That babe could rival any hottie in my harem.  Still have to rank what’s under the hood of course but-)

“What did you stop fo-  !  Oh fak.  Paladin?  Shit shit shit.  We-gotta-go.”

Digger’s urgent whispering and desperate pulling get my feet moving again and break my eye lock with the superhero.

“Oh-fak-oh-fak-oh-fak-oh-fak-oh-fak-oh-fak.”

My junior’s non stop mile a minute mumbling and desperate pulling speed up our progress through the crowd.  I manage to look back now and then and see her still floating there.  Still watching me.

With one last heave, I’m yanked down a side street and finally lose sight of my new favorite superwoman.  

Would definitely pay to see her movie.  Not just pirate it instead.  Uh…  Which I never do anyways, of course.  Wink wink nudge nudge.  Can’t be too careful.  Those lawsuit happy movie police have eyes and ears everywhere.  And yes, I would download a car.

Just before the building gets in the way.  Think I see her, blush?

(Nina?  So there are superheroes here too?)

[Adapting…  Psionic abilities can manifest in unexpected ways.  The power to fly being one of them.]

Now, granted, the ability to fly is not that unusual.  But, when combined with the outfit and that pose?  Felt like I was a kid back in my room and just opened a brand new comic book.

The crowd thins dramatically away from the train and we enter what looks mostly residential.  Some collapsed and some occupied.  One thing that does catch me by surprise?

Fortifications.

Remember droppable bars and metal sliding doors for downtown businesses back home.  I don’t remember seeing them much for housing though.  Nor this heavy duty.  Tough neighborhood?

We are a couple blocks away before Digger finally stops to lean against a wall.  I’m barely breaking a sweat but he is exhausted and trying to catch his breath.  Upgrades are awesome!

After a bit he sits down and faces me.

“Lets rest here for a bit.  Still got a ways to go.”  He starts looking uncomfortable again.  “Uh, Shank?  Thanks for your help this morning, with Sally.”

Got no clue.

“Sally?”

You can literally see his brain catch up.  He smacks his forehead.

“Yeah, sorry bro, forgot.  Brain still scrambled?  Uh…”  Even more uncomfortable.  “Sally is the best hooker in the Rockrats.  And she, didn’t come back last night.”

Prostitution?  Meh…  It is the world’s oldest profession after all.  Not the safest one though.

“Usually Blunder goes with me to find her.  He is her boyfriend.  But, wouldn’t this morning.  Thank you.  I’m crap in a fight.”  Shrugs his shoulders.  “Couldn’t have got her back.”

“Why not?”  Inquiring minds want to know.

“Geesh, stupid, sorry again.”  Raises a fist.  “Cause you stomped ‘em Shank.  The uncles rode her too hard and just dumped her afterwards.  Gangers found her and they were taking turns.”

The little street rat who could wipes his wet eyes and sniffles.

“Sh-she could have been wrecked for good.  Or dragged off and sold.”  Sniffle.  “We got out of Umera together and have lost so many.”  Snort.  “D-don’t want to lose Sally too.”

(Thoughts?)

[Adapting…  Groups of street kids who can will join tribes.  These tribes need money.  Selling their bodies is a way to earn money.]

(I mean about Sally.)

[Prostitutes have to go where the money is to work.  If the customer uses drugs and or has enhancements?  Unaugmented sex workers may experience significant mental and physical trauma.  Leaving them very vulnerable afterward.]

(So that’s why he’s calling me a hero.)

[Agreement…  You likely saved this Sally from a far darker and shorter life than she currently has.  At least in a street tribe she has some status and protection.  As a slave...]

(Yeah.  Shit.  Wonder if she’s hot.)

[...]

(What?)

[Interruption…  We are surrounded.]

(You finally noticed?)

Yes I no longer have my cheats.  However, I have a god awful amount of combat experience after decades in medieval land.  I may not be able to see around walls anymore.  But I can sure as fuck tell when I’m being boxed in.

Digger finally notices how empty the street’s become.

“Uh, bro?  I think we are in trouble.”

From doors, stairs, alleys, even trash piles, our ambushers slowly reveal themselves.

“Hey.  You’re Shank, right?”

The best dressed one calls me out.  What a greasy grin.  And by best dressed I’m not saying much.  But at least his shit isn’t stained, torn, and threadbare.

(You know?  He looks about my size.  Should I pull a terminator?)

[Analysis…  Please take this incident seriously.  You are outnumbered and outgunned.]

(Aren’t you some super battle computer?  Where’s all the targeting and fancy display stuff?)

[Adapting…  Again.  I am not a combat module.  I am an assistance module.  I have the same basic management capabilities but my focus is education.  Not tactical engagements.]

...

(Fuck.)

Digger has gone completely pale and is shaking like a leaf.

“Shit shit shit.  Bro.  These are the guys who were hurting Sally.”

Do see some of this pack are injured.  Fresh bandages.  One is even in a sling.

Big boss gangbanger, hehe, starts chuckling.

“Sally.  Was that her name?  Good, going to find that skank again and this time?  Fuck her to death.”  Queue villain’s buddies malevolent laughter.  “But first, we got a debt to settle with you.”

Digger is shaking so bad he might pass out.  Me?  Please.  These kids?  May not have my gear or cheats anymore.  But I’ve fought shit that still haunts my dreams decades later.

“You got the jump on some of my boys this morning.  Took them by surprise.”  Bullies always say shit like that.  “Let’s see how well you do against my whole crew.”

Probably won’t even remember these guys tomorrow.  Yet?  I am in a bit of a bind here.  Got no clue what this body can do.  No idea what I’m up against either.

(Okay, assistant.  What can you do to help me survive this?)

[Analysis…  Recommend instruction in negotiation and peaceful crisis confrontation resolution.  Would you like to see available courses?]

(...)

[Adapting…  Recommend a physical self defense program with a focus on evasion, redirection, and counters.  These are the courses compatible with a level one body enhancement.]

“Uh…  Brother?”

A list appears in my sight.  It's not very long, only a dozen or so, and I don’t recognize the names.

(Junpa’to?  Mu’anqi?  Suerta?  Debrozhovik? Gun-)

!!!

(Gunkata?!  It's real?!)

[Adapting...  Correct.  Gunkata is a martial art focused on combining evasion, spoilers, and counters, with firearms.]

(Oh fuck yeah.  I want that one.)

“Hey.  Kid.  Are you ignoring me?”

[Selection accepted…]

“Is this guy an idiot?”

[Course installing...]

“Hey!  Pay attention!”

[Would you like to begin the tutorial?]

(Yes, please do.)

“Tzow.  Kill him.”

[Activation…]

20