Poking the Competition
645 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Gohan took his time, the situation outside the Gu chamber kept on getting tense.

"Why the hell is he taking so long?" Ray thought internally.

Right now, he always showed the attitude of a leader and he also created a group with Daisy and Bai. Only Gohan remained outside this circle of 'talents'.

It isn't like Ray didn't reach out to him, but what greeted him was a cold and unconcealed contempt in Gohan's eyes. 

Looking into Gohan's abyss-like pupils, Ray also had a feeling of being entirely worthless. This uncomfortable feeling cause Ray to hold anger and disgust towards Gohan while he also birthed a new emotion inside him.

Fear.

He was fearful that he would be left behind by Gohan and other A Grade Aptitude students.

He was fearful that he may not be able to live up to the expectations of his family and the Elder that recruited him.

He was fearful that he wouldn't be able to woo the only female with an A Grade Aptitude– Daisy.

And the source of all these fears was merely a stone cold contempt for him in Gohan's heart.

Unlike Gohan, who slaughtered his path in his previous life, Ray was just an ordinary kid that struck gold. His mentality could not adapt to the circumstances and it created a plethora of emotions. 

It wasn't just Ray.

Bai and Daisy were also feeling uncomfortable.

It could be said that the three of them have experienced the same kind of emotions from the same source– Gohan!

Bai was one of Gohan's playmate during their childhood. Well, now that he looked back, he had to admit that Gohan wasn't his playmate. He didn't even bother to acknowledge his existence.

Meanwhile, Bai would always try and appease Gohan for no reason.

Slowly, he drifted apart from Gohan to the point that he wouldn't even nod at Gohan anymore. 

But fate loved to play pranks and make people uncomfortable.

Not only he was blessed with an A Grade Aptitude, but he was also standing on the same stage as Gohan.

Even though they both could be considered elites, Gohan still wouldn't acknowledge his existence!

Unlike Ray, that started to become a little fearful and Daisy, who only held the resentment of a young maiden, Bai started to hate the very existence of Gohan.

If Gohan actually knew the mental condition of these three, he would only smile in contempt... again!

This Gu world is so extreme that people's mindset is usually unstable. 

Friends could become blood enemies within moments.

Enemies could become lovers within moments.

This is the kind of world that Gohan had stepped into.

"Wait, there is only one Gu chamber in the academy." Ray suddenly thought and his expression turned even more gloomy.

According to common sense, doesn't this mean that most of the valuable Gu has already been taken from the Chamber?

After all, before them, there was a batch of students from the main village. Wouldn't the extremely valuable Gu belong to those students?

But even when he understood this, he didn't dare to raise this question and test the limits of Academy Elder.

Unlike Ray, Bai was more... ignorant.

"Elder, this is unfair. The batch of students before us have already taken away the more valuable Gus."

Ray's expression turned tense as he visibly felt the change in Elder's expression. His eyes were already squinting and a dangerous aura had started to gush out of the Elder's body.

Whoosh

Under the hot sun, the group of students only felt a chill.

No!

Ray actually saw his own breath turning into vapours.

His eyes widened and he looked at the other students looking behind him with a horrified expression. Their legs were trembling and some of them already had tears in their eyes.

He took a deep breath and first looked at the Elder and found that he wasn't paying attention anymore and then finally gathered the courage to look behind him.

Chill!

A shiver ran down Ray's spine.

Bai still looked courageous, smug, arrogant and... foolish. But his expression and his body were frozen by a thin layer of ice. 

At the peak of noon, under the glaring sun, Bai looked particularly beautiful, comparable to a crystal. Giving off reflections and looking like an extraordinary A Grade Aptitude he is.

"Hmph, he won't die from this. You all should learn from his courage and start being a little smart." The Academy Elder spoke coldly and snorted.

'These kids need to be given a harsh hand as well as nurturing guidance. If not, their unstable mentality will make them act against the spirit of the organisation and create more trouble in the village.'

Even though the Elder portrayed his anger, he was nothing but calm and as still as a lake.

***

"Hey, I can hear the footsteps."

"Thank God! I am already sweating and my inner clothes are completely soaked."

"Shh, speak a little slow! We don't want to anger the Elder again."

Finally, Gohan walked out from the attentive gaze of the group of students. Even under such heat, he looked neat and calm. Even under such gazes, his expression remained neutral and indifferent.

As he walked out, his attention was immediately attracted to an ice sculpture that looked disturbingly Familiar to Bai.

Behind him stood Daisy while Ray stood in front of Bai.

They both were also looking towards Gohan with curious gazes.

Heh

Under everyone's attention, Gohan sneered in public and his eyes were directed towards the other three students with A Grade Aptitude. 

Seeing such an attitude, the academy Elder's eyes widened in surprise. He immediately thought of something and his expression returned to normal.

Meanwhile, Daisy's and Ray's expression turned ugly. 

They were being looked down upon again!

And that too in front of the whole public.

"With this, I should be able to get some more preferential treatment." Gohan thought silently.

He had his reasons for acting in such a manner in front of a crowd.

The recruitment of the other three guys wasn't a secret and they all were going to be pitted against each other eventually. 

If Gohan shows his dislike for the three, it would trigger a chain of events.

Usually, the emotions of younger generations shouldn't affect the higher authority of the Clan. But these younger generations were a bit special.

These four had a chance to fight for the seat of the Clan Head!

Through his contempt towards the other three, he can trigger an early competition between the group of A Grade Aptitude students and he could gain more support from the Clan Head.

He understood that unlike others, he didn't have any home advantage. He was completely unfamiliar with the customs of the world. Even though he grew into these customs, it doesn't mean that his mature mind could adapt to everything in a breeze.

"Now, I just need the news to circulate." Gohan thought silently and walked at the back of the group. 

Soon, the students entered the Gu Chamber with a foolish grin and quickly chose their Gu Worms. 

"Alright, according to the rules of the academy, all of you will be given 3 Primeval Stones once per week. Don't waste them as they will be helpful to your cultivation and the refinement of your Gu Worms."

After the class was dismissed, he went back to the Kame Pavilion. Even if he wanted to explore the village, he didn't want to waste his time and lose his opportunity to refine his Gu worm.

It was already evening. The setting sun once again left a red hue on the mountain as Gohan walked inside the Pavilion. His parents weren't here yet. 

Gohan and his family were given a courtyard to settle into. Even though his parents were extremely thankful to the Clan Head, Gohan had nothing to say. 

After all, the Clan Head had his designs for Gohan and Gohan wouldn't mind using the Clan Head's background to learn more about the Gu world and fish out some benefits.

Before he could do anything else, the clan head had already sent a servant to bring him to the main courtyard.

***

"I always wanted to talk to you in private." The Clan Head— Taka Kame, had a balding head that and a kind smile. He looked at Gohan and motioned him to sit in front of him.

The whole room was dim under the setting sun and the table in front of them had two cups of tea. 

"I am thankful for Lord Clan Head's generosity to let me and my family stay at your place." 

Gohan didn't immediately sit and performed a ceremony.

Clan Head's smile got even wider and he nodded in a satisfied manner. His eyes also showed a slight emotion of joy.

"Looks like this boy knows the essence of the righteous path. Repaying favour with graciousness." The clan head nodded and thought internally.

"Sit, Gohan. I heard that you have some issues with other classmates?"

Gohan sat down naturally and nodded slightly.

His act was on point and he still didn't dare to look at academy Elder's face directly.

"Yes, Lord Clan Head. But it is just a small matter. I am thankful to Lord Clan Head for looking after me."

The balding man laughed and waved his head.

"It is only natural. I see you as my grandson and from the moment I saw you, I know that we have an affinity and brought together by fate."

Just as Gohan heard this statement, his mind immediately started to think of various scenarios. He had a hunch that this is the key moment he was waiting for.

He immediately kowtowed and spoke loudly.

"I am extremely honoured, Lord Clan Head." 

"Hahaha, get up, Gohan. You should understand that a person should only kowtow to his Elders, Parents and Teachers."

Without letting the Clan Head speak anything else, Gohan immediately took the initiative and kowtowed two more times.

"One for being my Elders, one for treating this junior like a family and one for guiding this junior." Gohan spoke in a very humble manner.

Even Clan head was stunned and he then laughed. He didn't feel anything wrong with such behaviour because he knew Gohan's background. 

He was just a mortal two days ago that lived a simple life filled with human emotions. And clearly, he was still too emotional and his facade of indifference crumbled under the kindness portrayed by the Clan Head.

"Good, good, good. I, Taka Kame, am gratified to accept such a disciple. Good, for your acceptance, I have prepared a gift for you."

He immediately took out two gu worms and place it on the table.

One was a silkworm like Gu Worm, it was blue in color and extremely chubby, meanwhile, the other one was looked like a brown stag beetle.

Seeing the look on Gohan's face, the Clan Head sighed. He was going to nurture Gohan anyway. Even though everybody was told about Gohan's aptitude, it was simply a lie!

"This is a Blue Poison Liquor Gu Worm. With this Gu worm, you can spray out poisonous mist. But you have to take caution. If you use this Gu for too long, the poison will infect you and your own body will start to corrode from the inside."

The Clan head spoke as he pointed towards the Silkworm like Gu worm on the table.

Gohan nodded after hearing his explanation and waited for him to complete his words.

"This is a Core Strength Gu. It is a rare gu comparable to the Blue Poison Liquor Gu, but its use is more practical. This Gu belongs to the rare strength path and it allows the Gu Master to concentrate their entire strength as they fight."

The explanation was simple and understanding.

"Thank you, Lord Clan Head!" Gohan bowed his head once more before picking up the Core Strength Gu and the Blue Poison Liquor Gu and stuffed it in his robes."

Seeing this, Clan Head nodded and spoke out.

"I already know about the assignment given in the academy. This is the weekly stipend you will gain under my wing. I know that I am preferring you over others, but you have to understand that you need to show your wisdom and talent in the coming days."

The clan head spoke as he placed a pouch on the table.

Gohan once again nodded and picked up the pouch without any hesitation.

"Now disciple, go on with your cultivation and make me proud." He smiled and dismissed Gohan.

Such scenes were happening at every Courtyard of the Elders of the Family that recruited the three A Grade Aptitude students. 

Not only that, those Elders that could only recruit a bunch of B Grade Aptitudes, they were also investing in the younger generation in some kind.

***

As Gohan went away, Clan Head's kind face turned serious and he looked at the night sky. Moonlight reflecting on his balding head, making him look profound and otherworldly in the dark room.

"Sigh, four A Grade Aptitudes, is this a blessing or a disaster for the clan. And then there is Gohan... sigh, Ten Extreme Physiques... ah... Ten Extreme Physiques... that is the real benefit." The Clan Head's eyes shone in the dim room.

11