Chapter 1 – Scrambled Egg
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're fired."

A middle-aged man wearing a suit said while playing something on his int-watch.

"I hope you understand. You're just not cut for this kind of job. You can't memorize a simple customer's order,  you punched a fellow employee,  and you even shouted to a valued customer!  All in all, I don't even know how you passed the employment test!"

He said,  refusing on looking at the man. He is Mark Drupal the owner of the restaurant called Large Bites.

"…"

"Did you not hear me? I said you.are.fired!"

Pushing me from the office,  he grabs the knob and…

"Bang!"

************************

Walking down the street of Manila,  Mike stopped and gazes at the large screen on top of the "Alpha" building, the biggest gaming company in the world.  On the screen, a handsome young man is sitting while being interviewed in the famous program,  GameRoom.

"So Sir Zach.  Legacy has reached their 1 Billion Player milestone and their 1st opening anniversary is just around the corner, what can you say as one of the chosen beta testers? What factors aid the development of Legacy from a simple VRMMORPG to being the best virtual reality game of this era?"

The famous beautiful reporter called "Anna" asked while smiling.

"What 1 Billion players!?"

"Isn't that crazy!? I bet the server was overloaded due to that many players! Hahaha."

"Are you an idiot?  One of my friends is playing Legacy and he said that it was being operated by a cutting-edge supercomputer!  He said it won't overload today and also won't in the near future!"

Everyone was blown away by the fact that Legacy has reached the legendary 1 Billion Player count.  Of course, this is the first in the history of gaming.

"Legacy?  I think I've heard that game before…"

Mike muttered. Legacy was a famous VRMMORPG game but he didn't know it reached the 1 Billion players milestone in less than a year. It's just insane.

"As one of the beta tester who played Legacy wholeheartedly all this time,  I can say that Legacy achieved this milestone by pure hard work. Actually,  in the first 6 months of the server launch, everyone was disappointed in the game because they expected a greater gaming experience from other VRMMORPG due to the immense budget Alpha poured into it. But when the rank 1 player ‘Blue’ initiated the first main quest of the storyline and defeated 'Dragon Azure', everything came flopping around.7 new continents emerged,  thousands of new dungeons and monsters were found, so everyone started colonizing everywhere. And it's still vivid in my memory when on May 13, Alpha,  the developer of Legacy shocked us by introducing ‘Golf’, the first-ever ultra computer created by cutting-edge technologies.  All in all, if not because of that AI, Legacy won't be the amazing legacy we have today."

Zach said while smiling naturally, revealing his white teeth and deep dimples.  Mike got irritated seeing that face so he continued on his way home. He ignores the commotion from the interview and called an ET (Electronic Taxi) using his remaining money,437 Peso.

Laying on the hard sofa inside the Taxi. Mike thinks back to the past. He lost his parents early. I was 9 yrs.  Old and my sister Jenelle were 6 yrs.Old that time when our parents died from hazing. Left with no parents our relatives lined up on adapting us. Finally, we choose aunt Mary which our mother was slightly closed with. We aren't accepted in our aunt's house. They entrust all the daily tasks to us while their dren were just playing games.  Nevertheless, we endured it.6 years pass by and I just turned 15 while my sister is 12 yrs. Old. I still haven't forgotten that day, the day when our uncle came home drunk. My sister and I are sleeping in our room on a separate bed. I woke up when I hear my sister screaming, she was being harassed by my uncle! That piece of shit!  He was pulling my sisters short while struggling to cover her mouth. My anger overwhelmed me and I pick up the baseball bat under my bed and struck his head.  Although my enemy is an adult, with a strike of a baseball bat in the head he immediately went unconscious. My memory is a mess after that. I carry my little sister and flee from home. The following stories are what it seems it is. We are currently living in a boarding house far west from here.  In our 8 years living. I've done everything to earn money,  from selling garbage, stealing money from adults to selling different kinds of drugs. I'vee done everything just to earn money and put food on the table.

‘Beep!Beep!’

The ET driver intentionally beeps, looking at my face with a "such a bother" expression. Mike got out of the taxi with an unhappy face.

************************

"I'm home."

Mike said after opening the door and taking his shoes off.

"Welcome home."

Janelle came rushing. She's wearing an apron with a panda design, grey pajamas,  and a pink t-shirt. Her white porcelain skin was visible under the light. 

Mike looked at his pretty sister, she's getting beautiful day by day.  While thinking this his stomach rumbles.

'Rumble'

“…Oh yeah, how's dinner?”

Her sister giggles and said.

"Your favorite dish!"

Mike smiled bitterly.'Fucking egg and hotdog!'

******************

After eating Mike enters his room. It's a small room,4 by 4 in diameter and consisting only of a computer and a small bed. Mike sits at the computer and mutters.

"Let's start work then."

He browses the files and clicks the 'Large Bites, Owner-Charlie Wong'.The file consists of everything private. True network, detailed schedule,  number of children, number of non-legal wives, how many porn in stock, even every CCTV in their house has been hacked by Mike. But the most important thing is this photo. Inside a dark storage room,  a middle-aged man is giving a girl bunch of chocolates while his other hand is inside the young girl's shorts. The 7 years old girl in the photo looks to be drugged because of the white color of her retina.

"This guy should go to hell."

'Why do people like this allowed to exist in today's society anyway'

Mike already knows the answer but he just can't accept it.

"Well, I'll be ruining your life starting now."

He smirked. If anyone can see his expression right now,  they would probably feel repulsed and disgusted…

'Brrrrr!Brrrrr!'

His smartphone vibrated violently on top of the desk, someone is calling him. Looking at the name "Boss" he immediately taps the accept button.

"Hello Boss,  everything is ready now."

He said while walking slowly to the left side of the room, looking at the calendar.

"Great, as expected of our "Priest" you still work fast, Hahaha."

The voice on the other side sounds a bit rough but every word has power on it. He is William Smith the Boss of the most feared underground syndicate in the Philippines "Serpent".

"But you should know how the cut works right? 20/80,20 to the procurer,80 to us, do you understand?"

Mike shivers. William's voice sounds alive, like a serpent wrapping around his neck, observing his every action with the strong intent to bite.

"…Yes I understand Boss. I will never betray you."

Mike said with a glint of fearlessness in his eyes.

"Hahaha, I know. After all if not because for me, you two children would have died in the cold street of Cavite. Who knew that the snotty brat at that time will become my most skilled procurer! Hahaha, time sure flows fast…"

His voice at the end weakened but Mike knows what he's talking about.

"…Yes Boss, if not because of you my sister and I would have died that day, thank you…"

'And if not because of you, we wouldn't have needed to experience all kinds of bad things!'

Mike cursed inside.

"Good good! Bring the money tomorrow at noon, don't be late."

'Beeeeeeep'

The call ended. Mike looks at his cellphone while standing. Various emotions came pouring into him. He looks at the date in the calendar he directly marked.

‘December 29,2070-Leaving this god damned country’

1