Chapter 26 – Maybe I Can Retire
294 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"This is all I was able to find."  George handed his boss a new file.  It was thick, but George knew that it was quite incomplete.

"All?  As in there is more?"

"Yes.  I followed corporations, dummies, shell companies, and found some links.  Some turned cold quick, some were hidden, and others were not hidden at all."  George arranged the sheets to reflect the three patterns.

"I see.  She's learned a lot better than I expected."  He looked over the paperwork.  "Industries, new technology, investments in aerospace tech, marine tech, even deep drilling."  He examined each lead, and frowned.

"Did you notice it?"  George said quietly.

"Yes.  Not a single investment failed.  It all makes her an income."  He frowned slightly.  "I am surprised that she let us find out her income sources."  George cleared his throat.

"That wasn't what I meant."

"What do you mean?"  Shyla's grandfather asked.

"Each industry is a source of income, but do you see the recipients?"  George pointed to a firm that was a major stakeholder of the parent company.

"Concor Corporation?"  He couldn't see the correlation at first.

"Connie Coral Corporation."  George pointed out the simple pattern.  "This corporation is an income source for your family.  It makes them independently wealthy."  His boss sat back in his chair.

"So nothing of what you found is on her?"

"All the leads that would have pointed to her are cold.  We can find nothing other then what she wants us to find.  Unless she makes a mistake."  George said with a small smile, and a hefty amount of respect.

"And her ground forces?"  He asked in a slightly weaker tone.  His granddaughter was hard to predict, and even harder to track than he ever was.

"Increasing.  One more club is erased, while she moves silently in the background.  No one sees her coming, and according to that one road captain who chose to be polite, she's already moved before her enemies have even made their intentions known. In other words..."

"If someone intends to turn traitor, she already knows about it."  George stayed quiet, and waited.  His boss rarely finished his sentences.  "Let her become aware of one of our problems.  The plant, and their determination to make extra income.  Let us see what she does with the information."

When George left the room, he saw a message flash on his computer screen.

'Are you sure, granddad?'  He sighed.

"Of  course you knew.  Yes. I'm getting old, and I can't keep them in check like I used to."  As soon as he gave his permission, his phone rang.

 

*****

 

"David."  His wife, Sienna, and his daughter, Tabitha, sat at the table, with Danica nearby.

"What is your choice?"  He asked quietly.

"Are you sure this is legit?"  He nodded at her question.  "Tabitha?"

"I'm in."  Tabitha bit her bottom lip.

"When you are enhanced, your mother can return here.  You can stay at the hotel, and become more integrated through battle drills with the others."  Tabitha nodded, while Sienna sighed softly.

"So...what happens now?"  She looked at David quietly.

"Go tonight.  The faster you leave, the faster you can return.  Then I will go for enhancement.  What about the others?"  He looked at Danica.

"According to the boss....hold on."  She concentrated, then nodded.  "Ask them if they want to be enhanced.  Before you go to reinforce the other club, find out if there are any like yourself and Sienna.  They can be interconnected, so that the pair will operate as a solid tactical unit, rather than two individuals.  Warn them though.  Absolute loyalty.  If there is any sign of traitorous thoughts, or trying to go around the programming through trickery, the system will trigger a mind wipe when they begin to act upon those thoughts." She looked him square in the eyes.  That wasn't something a normal lady could do.  He was as large as a wrestler, and as scary as any gang leader could be.

"Tell them that only absolute loyalty will be tolerated.  She'll spend millions on her people as they spend their loyalty on her.  After all, loyalty and devotion are the two most important commodities that you, or anyone, has to trade with her, and she values it highly."

 

*****

 

"She moved faster then I expected."  George said quietly.  The police were on the scene, while several decapitated bodies were found outside the gates.  Due to the sensitive nature of the plant, only those with clearance could enter.  It was one of the reasons the bodies were outside.

"How many, George?"  His boss asked as he gave him a quick call.

"Boss, if I were to guess, it's all of them.  Not a single traitor escaped.  They've also been dead for two days."  George watched as the headless corpses were loaded on ambulances and the area searched.

"How clean are the cuts?"

"Jagged.  They don't look torn off.  It looks like a multi pronged tool.  Something I have never seen before."  George frowned slightly.

"Understood.  She already has the information she wants then."  The phone went dead.

George went over to the gate, and swiped his clearance card.  The reader had three colors.  Red, orange, and green.  That also allowed for a number of combinations to show the kind of clearance at a first glance.  When the light flashed a yellow one, he frowned.  Before he could swipe it again, a guard came out of the booth.

"Sorry, sir.  The new owner has reduced your clearance unless you're accompanied by a supervisor.  I'll call them now."  The guard went back inside, and left George on the other side of the bars with a look that would have been priceless if it lasted any longer then a few seconds.  He was a professional, and quickly cleared his shock.

While George dealt with the shock of things already moved into an unknown situation, his boss smiled at the computer screen.

'The plant is mine. All mention of you has been removed. All leaks are plugged. Everyone who bypassed your authority have been erased. My systems are stable. My forces are too few for more at this time. Two months for the next objective.'

"Well done.  Maybe I'll live long enough to retire and enjoy the innocent life of my other grandchild before I pass away."  He smiled warmly.  "Well done."

 

17