Chapter 9- Machinations
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I glared at Cornelius, but the Vampire ignored me as an Enchanter worked on the comatose Vampire on the table. "Enough, we have business to attend to, Master." my voice dripping scorn and sarcasm causing the Master Necromancer to frown at me.

"Watch your tongue Human," he replied as he glared at me and I snorted in contempt.

"I don't like games, Cornelius if you wanted me to help with something. Ask, do not manipulate me into doing your bidding." I told him before tossing the Essense of Death at him and he snatched the vial out of the air but never took his eyes off me as another Notification pinged in my ear but I ignored it.

"Do you have any idea who she is?" Cornelius asked as he pointed to her.

I smirked, "Nope, and I don't care. I did the right thing because I was there, not because I wanted to. You dragged me into something I don't understand and if I get killed over it, I am going to be pissed. Understand Vampire?" I responded with as much anger I could inject into my voice.

The other man's face darkened, I was certain if he wanted to kill me he could without using a single spell but the Enchanter clearing her throat grabbed his attention. "My patient has been through enough Master Gair, if you and your new apprentice are going to come to blows, do it away from her." she snapped and I bowed slightly to her.

"My apologies ma'am, I have no intention of disturbing her rest. If you have any actual teaching for me and not manipulations, please feel free to message me otherwise I will see another instructor to apprentice with Gair." I told him before turning and leaving the Necromancers chambers and headed for the Mage School's exit. I brought up my map and looked for the Olive Tree and placed a marker on it causing a route to popup on my map, giving me directions to the inn.

Thirty minutes later I was sitting opposite of the Spartan, for the first time since I met him Danicus wasn't wearing armor. His sword was still sitting near him, but this is the first time I had seen the man relax. "So, how did it go?" he asked as my wine arrived, I preferred beer but those options were limited.

"About as well as expected, it was a setup. If we succeeded, great but if we got killed no real loss I was only Human. Fucking manipulative asshole. I told him I was going to seek another teacher and I am honestly thinking about walking away from them if all the Non-Human instructors are like that." I told him before taking a drink.

Danicus grimaced, "There are some good and bad ones like the Vampire instructor. They will use any Human as a tool or toy without a second thought. Its ingrained within them after centuries of abuse, it is up to us to change that. The question is, will you help us?" the Spartan asked and I frowned.

"No offense, I do believe that our situation should be changed, but they have every advantage. They control long-distance travel, they have a slight edge in numbers from what I have seen, and that is just the Monsters that live within the city limits, that does not include the Monsters that live off the land. They have the advantage with Levels as well, the vast majority of Humanity from what you have told me is executed if their Level increases above ten. So how can we fight against that?" I asked him, serious and not trying to disparage the man.

"Very true, all those are facts that we cannot easily outmaneuver, but they are advantages that we can eventually overcome. It will not be a short war, this will take years to accomplish, but if we work together we can overcome the Titans." Danicus replied and I frowned.

"I am not debating that, I am asking how? The Atlantean Empire spans the globe, we are merely one part of it and without coordinating our efforts they can simply destroy us peace mill." I replied earning a smile from him.

"We cannot go to the other parts of the Atlantean Empire physically, that is true. However, they have no way to block long-distance communications. We are talking and linking with both other groups and sympathizers, plans are coming together but we need every advantage we can get." Danicus stated and I frowned at his response.

"You realize it will be close to two years before more Star Born come here in any numbers. Others might come during that time and they could side with either the Titans or Humanity, there is no assurance that just because they are Star Born that they will side with Humanity." I told the warrior causing him to frown.

"We understand that, and this is why I am being careful about approaching you. Why did you save the Vampire?" Danicus asked, I knew this was a test but I wouldn't compromise my morality.

"It was the right thing to do. If I face the same Vampire in battle, I would kill her to defend myself or others, but I won't let her die just because it is convenient to do so." I told him as our food arrived and Danicus accepted my answer, for good or ill only time would tell if it was the right answer. I pulled up my waiting Notifications as I let him think.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Awakening a Dark Power

Notice: You delved into the Necropolis outside of Athens and managed to survive the dangers of the first floor. Congratulations, you have received, 15,000 Experience, 50 Renown, Wizard Class Unlocked (Permanent), Necromancer Specialization Unlocked (Permanent)

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Breakout!

Notice: Your party managed to destroy the Lich, Khugrul the Vile,  and stopped his plans to destroy the Wards keeping the Undead and Dead within the Necropolis outside of Athens. You have received 5,000 Experience, 100 Renown, your Reputation with the Citizens of Athens has increased, your Reputation with the Brotherhood has increased to Neutral.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Savior

Notice: You completed a Secret Quest and saved the Lady Annalise Gertrude of House Nightfall. You have received 5,000 Experience, your Reputation with House Nightfall has increased to Neutral.

<<<>>>

7 X Level up!

You have (35) Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (7) Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time. 

<<<>>>

I was over Level ten, so if the Titans or their enforcers found out it was an automatic death sentence. "Everything ok?" Danicus asked and I grimaced.

"I hit Level eleven, I know between the fighting and the Class Quest I would have still been below Level ten. However the Quest we got in the Necropolis and saving the Vampire put me over the threshold. What does that mean for me?" I asked him as I brought up the Wizard Skill Tree and invested one Skill point into Elemental Shield and one into Silence before flipping over to the Necromancer Skill Tree.

"If you are arrested there are magical items that can give them all the information on your Character Sheet, so don't get caught if you break a law. Since you are Star Born, it would be better to die, then let them know everything about you." Danicus advised me and I winced, if Myth's and Legends was anything like other games, there was a penalty for dying. I dismissed the thought for now and started making investments, I put one Skill Point into Field of the Dead, Death's Touch, Dark Strength, Necrotic Mending, and after some consideration I banked that last Skill Point for later.

<<<>>>

Skill Name: Elemental Shield
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Description: Protect yourself and your allies from powerful destructive magics, Elemental magic is the most commonly used magic and can devastate any army unless they are protected.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: +20% Resistance to Elemental Damage.
Effect 2: +5% Resistance to Shadow and Light Damage.
AoE: 10 Yards
Range: Self
Duration: 20 Minutes
Cast Time: 3 Seconds
Cost: 200 Spirit
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Silence
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Description: Being a Wizard, you are one of the few that can interrupt the casting of other Mage types. With the Silence spell, your target's spell casting will be interrupted and they will be unable to cast any spells for a short time.
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Interrupt Spell casting of target.
Effect 2: Increase the chance that Spells will Miscast by 30%. 
Effect 3: Targets Spirit Regeneration is decreased by 20%.
AoE: N/A
Range: 60 Yards
Duration: 15 Seconds
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 100 Spirit
Cooldown: 60 Seconds

Skill Name: Field of the Dead
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Description: Conjure a field of Skeletal, Zombie, and Spectral hands that will grasp at your enemies slowing their movements for a time.
Effect 1: Enemy Attack/Movement Speed is Decreased by 70%. 
AoE: 10 Yards
Range: 40 Yards
Duration: 30 Seconds
Cast Time: 2 Seconds
Cost: 150 Spirit
Cooldown: 3 Minutes

Skill Name: Death's Touch
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Passive/Active
Description: Necrosis is another benefit of Death Magic. It continues to eat away at your enemies, slowly weakening them until you can easily kill them. Necrosis damages your enemies Health and Stamina over the duration of the Debuff.
Damage: 4 per Second
Passive Effect 1: Increase the chance that Necrosis will affect your enemies by 10%.
Passive Effect 2: Increase the Duration of Necrosis by 10 Seconds.
Passive Effect 3: Increase the Damage of Necrosis by 1.
Passive Effect 4: Increase Critical Hit Chance with Death and Plague-based Spells by 1%.
Range: 60 Yards
Duration: 30 Seconds
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 25 Spirit
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Dark Strength
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Death and destruction are staples of any Necromancer despite their choices. With this Skill, you can resist almost any Death or Plague Damage, and dealing damage with Death or Plague Spells will increase your Spirit Regeneration.
Effect 1: +20% Resistance to Death and Plague Damage.
Effect 2: 5% of the Death and Plague-based damage you deal is returned as Spirit.
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Duration: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Name: Necrotic Mending
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Active
Description: Your Dead Minions will sustain damage, this is a forgone conclusion. With this spell, you can infuse them with Necrotic energy healing the damage.
Restriction: Can stack healing effects (3) times, cannot stack Regeneration Bonus.
Heal: 50 + (SS X 1.0)
Effect 1: Increase Targets Health Regeneration by 5%.
Effect 2: Remove (1) Physical/Magical Debuff.
Range: 10 Yards
Duration: 15 Seconds
Cast Time: Instant
Cost: 50 Spirit
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

I considered investing my last Skill Point into either Death Bolt or Summon Basic Dead, both Spells were useful in their own way. The next level of the summoning spell would increase both the number of Skeletal Warriors I could summon as well as the overall damage of all my Minions. "Two more questions, what is the 'Brotherhood' and who is House Nightfall?" I asked causing Danicus to freeze in surprise.

"The Brotherhood is the name for those who wish to cast off the Titans as rulers of Humanity, House Nightfall is one of the older and more powerful Vampire Houses in Greece. Who did you save?" Danicus asked, intent on the answer so I pulled up my logs and quickly scanned for the Quest information before responding.

"According to the Quest information, it was a Lady Annalise Gertrude. I have no idea who that is or how she is related within the House but it increased my Reputation to Neutral with them." I told him causing the Spartan to spit out his drink.

"She must be someone either powerful within their House or connected within their House, either way, their attention will drag other people's attention towards you. I would recommend that you leave Athens as soon as possible. Finish whatever business you have within the city and leave, head to Corinth to the southwest or book passage north." Danicus advised me as I contemplated my short-term future and the choices in front of me.

1