Chapter 11- Warm Welcome
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The slap caused my head to jerk to one side and brought me back to consciousness. "Careful he is Human, hit him too hard and you will kill him." a voice chastised whoever had hit me.

I rolled my neck and did my best to stretch but I was hanging from the ceiling, but I couldn't see anything. The room was pitch black and the only thing I could hear was two people breathing and the occasional dripping of water. "Cozy, why am I here?" I asked my new companions.

The next slap wrenched my head the other way, "When asked, you answer the questions Human!" another voice hissed as I laughed in response.

"Well cupcake, if you plan on hitting me like that you should get some advice from my dead grandmother, she hits harder than you," I replied then a blow to my stomach drove the air from my lungs and caused what little food remaining food within my stomach to come up.

I spit clearing the taste and whatever remained. "Oh we are going for kinky shit, I don't swing that way but if you are trying to compensate for your lack of...manliness. I am sure you are very pretty if you dress properly.' I baited my captors again and I suddenly heard a hiss causing me to smile. 'There you are." I smiled and lashed out with both feet cutting the hissing off as a body was flung away from me.

I heard a chuckle then something slammed into my face causing blood and teeth to fly from my mouth. A third of my health disappeared as a notification appeared.
<<<>>>
Debuff Concussed: Accuracy is decreased by 20%, Stamina Regeneration is decreased by 10% (Duration 5 Minutes)
<<<>>>
"Ahh, now we are getting to the good stuff, come on cupcake I thought you could hit harder than that.' I baited my captors again. Before they could respond something shook the chamber we were in causing what I assumed to be gravel to cascade down on us. Then the screams began, the soul-wrenching screams you hear in horror movies so I knew whatever was happening was real. 'I assume you guys have company, I would hate to hold you all up so why don't you deal with your guest or guests, and we can get back to you beating me and my derogatory quips when you get done." I advised them earning a chuckle from one of my companions.

Before they could respond or do anything threatening, what I assumed was a door was blown inwards and light filled the chamber for the first time. Four leather-clad figures and Danicus stepped into the chamber but I studied my captors more intently than the new people. I jerked my head to the calmer one, "Keep him alive, he knows what you want.' I told them and the four newcomers moved to engage my captors while Danicus moved towards me. 'They will just invite anyone in this place don't they?" I quipped earning a smile from the Spartan as his sword lashed out and I fell.

The drop was short but I was still under the influence of the Concussed Debuff so my equilibrium wasn't the best so a face planted. "Oww, asshole I hadn't earned that.' I told him as I staggered to my feet to watch the Vampire that had been beating on me get killed and dismembered as his compatriot was subdued. 'Who are your friends?" I asked Danicus earning a smirk from him.

"They are your friends, from House Nightfall. The big Houses like them are big on honor and paying Blood Debts, both the good ones and bad ones. They had an obligation to help you and considering they linked your disappearance to those that took Lady Gertrude, I couldn't keep them away even if I wanted to.' Danicus told me as he placed a steadying hand on my shoulder. 'Come, they will provide an escort out of the city and we can be on our way before whoever was behind this finds out we are gone." the Spartan told me as he ushered me towards the door.

One of the Vampires put up a hand halting us, "That Lord wishes to speak to him, afterword's you will be escorted out of the city." the man stated and I looked at Danicus who frowned but looked at me.

"Do I have your word of safe passage to and from the meeting? Are we your guests or captives?" I asked him and the Vampire bowed slightly.

"Guests." was his response and I sighed slightly in relief, not ready for a fight mentally.

"Lead the way, I am sure the Lady or whoever just wants to say thank you...or threaten us, then we will be on our way," I told them earning and snicker from my new companions as their new captive was lifted to his feet before being shoved out of the room ahead of us.

"Where are we?" I asked wondering how long the game had kept me unconscious.

"Outside the city, near the Necropolis. Three different people were there when you got taken and the information was given to some of my friends. After that, I found out what Vampire grabbed you and turned that information over to House Nightfall. That is when they grabbed your former instructor and sent this party to find you.' the Spartan advised me as we approached a large room. Bodies and blood liberally decorated the area and a shimmering Portal already stood open. 'I will give them this much when they want to get something done Vampires move quickly." Danicus absently commented as we were ushered through the Portal.

The disorientation from the Portal did not help me but it quickly dissipated revealing I was outside once again. We were located on what I would call an estate or compound considering the walls surrounding it. "Welcome to House Nightfall, we are northwest of Athens here. As I said, you are both guests and once your conversation with Lord Samuel Gertrude is complete, I will personally escort you off the house grounds and you will be on your way." the man stated before turning and leading us towards the mansion that sat in the center of the compound.

What I assumed were slaves, other Vampires and beings roamed the area but ignored our presence. If it was because we were Humans or because of our obvious escort, I didn't know. The entryway was lined with what you would expect from someone rich, artwork of all types, flowers, and even a small fountain. Our escort led us past all these overt displays of wealth and to a small library.

A part of me wanted to look through the books to see what I could find since I hadn't gotten a chance to see the library at the Mage School or the main one Athens had, but I was a guest so I settled into one of the chairs. Danicus stayed on his feet though as our escort left the room without a word. "Well, why do you think they want to talk to me? The real reason, not the bullshit I spewed before." I asked the Spartan.

"I don't know, if they wanted to offer my thanks, they did that by tracking you down and freeing you. The debt was paid, so why the head of House Nightfall wants a face-to-face with a Human, is more than odd, to say the least. Be on your guard, but do not insult him. He is one of the oldest Vampires in existence and he could easily kill both of us." Danicus advised me as one of the doors opened and a man strode in. He looked as young as I was with almost white, blonde hair, but the real oddity was his eyes were a bright blue and not the blood-red I associated with Vampires.

"Ahh, see Danicus I told you my Houses Guardians would recover your friend. Intact with all his limbs attached. Welcome to House Nightfall, I am Lord Samuel Gertrude. It's not every day someone rescues a member of my House, much less a Human. Thank you for your assistance." the man stated with a smile as he offered his hand I took it giving it a shake,

"It's no problem, sir, I just did the right thing and didn't expect anything in return. I appreciate being saved from torture and death though...I blather when I am nervous, sorry." I responded earning a warm smile from the man.

"What do you have to be nervous about?" Samuel asked and Danicus frowned as he rolled his eyes as I responded again.

"Let's see, I was kidnapped to be questioned. Saved by your people, and now I am having a meeting with one of the oldest Vampire Houses in existence. Taking all that information in, if you were in my shoes would you be nervous?" I asked him causing his smile to grow to show some of his fangs for the first time.

Samuel looked at Danicus, "You didn't explain to him did you?" the Vampire prodded the Spartan and I frowned at both of them, getting annoyed at being ignored.

"I wasn't certain that the stories were true. He is ignorant of what he did, he was only concerned about healing your kin, his actions were unintentional." Danicus responded causing Samuel to let out a long belly aching laugh leaving me confused so I decided to ignore both of them and closed my eyes as I Necrotic Sense for the first time.

While I couldn't figure out everything the Skill told me considering it was the first time I used it, but I knew there were at least two dozen beings or things I could sense within range. One was the Vampire in the room while others were all around us, some moving while others were stationary.

Someone tapping me on the nose broke the Spell and brought my concentration on the here and now. Samuel was smile was still there, but Danicus let out a grunt of annoyance before walking away from me. "So you are a new Necromancer and have acquired a Skill Book that unlocked Necroscience, be weary some Undead will attack any Necromancer that has that Skill. I am not one of them though. The Vampire Houses are ruled by a Council of Elders, one of our laws is that we cannot feed on a free Human. Anyone who breaks that law can be summerly executed for doing so." Samuel explained and I frowned.

"Ok, I won't tell anyone and I am sure Danicus doesn't care one way or the other, so as long as your family member keeps her mouth shut, no one will know," I told him earning another sigh from Danicus.

Samuel's smile tightened but then his head jerked towards one of the doors as it was thrown open and a blur slammed into. Before I could do anything a blow slammed into my jaw while another hand grabbed my throat.
<<<>>>
Debuff Broken Jaw: Cannot cast Spells that require a verbal component (Duration 2 Minutes)
Debuff Suffocation: 10 Stamina Damage per Second (Duration 35 Seconds)
Note* If your Stamina runs out you will die.
<<<>>>
I swiped the information away as I was repeatedly punched in the face but then the weight on my chest was knocked away leaving me somewhat stunned and confused as I heard an ongoing fight going nearby as Danicus stood over me, a shield and sword in hand. It made me wonder if that was how the Spartans stood against the Persians thousands of years ago, defiant and strong against overwhelming odds. I chuckled at the stupid thought as I fought to stay conscious. 

1