Chapter 12- Wake up Call
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I groaned as I got to my feet and for the first time since I got here, I was happy I hadn't Summoned any Dead Minions otherwise the situation would be even more complicated than it already was. Two new Vampires were in the room, a man and a woman. The woman was crying and blubbering on the floor while the man was struggling to breathe as what I assumed was Lord Samuel Gertrude was changed though.

A monstrous creature that looked equal parts bat and man, stood pinning the struggling male Vampire to the wall, and Samuel was pissed as he should be. "YOU DARE TO ATTACK SOMEONE UNDER MY ROOF PROTECTED BY GUEST RIGHTS!" He roared in the face of the interloper. Got to love these old school people, and the protections guests were provided while under their roof.

For all intents and purposes, I was considered part of his family while I was under his roof. The moment I left his estate he could decide to rip me limb-from-limb, but until then I was protected. I tried to garble out a question but with the Broken Jaw Debuff I had a better chance at conveying thoughts with my mind but it did grab all three Vampires' attention.

Samuel cocked his head at me then looked at Danicus, "Do you understand what he is trying to say?" the Vampire asked the Spartan. The other male Vampire tried to use the distraction to move but Samuel hissed and drove one of his talons into the man's throat causing him to freeze either in surprise or pain.

Danicus looked at me with a questioning look and sighed, "He is probably wondering why he is so pissed. It is understandable." the warrior responded without relaxing causing Samuel to grimace and look back at his captive.

"You have abused my hospitality for the last time and insulted me personally. Leave and never return without my permission. I will leave standing orders with my guards if you are seen upon my estate they are to kill you on sight. I will also inform your father what you have done today.' Samuel told the other Vampire calmly before releasing him. 'GO!" he snapped and the other Vampire glared at me one more time and left the way he came.

The female tried to go but stopped instantly as Samuel glared at her. "Why was he here Lidia? The engagement was broken over a month ago and if it had not been, his actions today would have broken it." Samuel asked the other Vampire as my jaw healed with a painful pop.

I groaned in pain as I rubbed my jaw but I still asked my question. "What the fuck was that for? Seriously what is the problem with what happened?" I asked them earning a sigh from Samuel as he reverted to his more Human looking form.

"As I said, the Council has decreed that Vampires cannot feed on free Humans. To help our people cope, we distill Human blood with the blood of Monsters and animals. No one has had pure Human blood in a long time and my daughter became blood-drunk because you fed her pure Human blood.' Samuel replied before turning back to the woman. 'Answer me, why was he here?" Samuel asked the other Vampire.

Lidia looked away, "I thought he could help her, I never thought he would attack a guest father." Lidia replied and Samuel snorted in disgust.

"Are you certain you didn't want to show her as a blood-drunk thing and not the woman he once loved?' Samuel pointed out and Lidia glared at him and I had a eureka moment. A love triangle and politics mixed. Lidia started to reply but Samuel cut her off and just pointed to the door, 'Go, I will talk to you later after I am done hosting my guests." Samuel stated dismissing her causing her to turn and flounce out of the room and slamming the door on her way out.

I stared after her for a moment, "How is she, your daughter Annalise, how is she doing?" I asked him and he grimaced again.

"She is blood drunk, imagine you at your worst while drunk, mix it with the senses and strength of a Vampire and you have a very real problem that could turn deadly in the wrong circumstances," Samuel replied, his words filled with worry.

I frowned, considering what little I knew of the woman, which was sadly next to nothing. Yet what little I could figure out told me enough. "Can I see her?" I asked him causing Danicus to grab me.

"No, this is stupid. It is clear you had no idea of the repercussions of your choice, you just wanted to save her. Let's take his thanks and leave." Danicus urged me but I pushed him off and stared at Samuel until he gave me a minute nod. Samuel led us deeper into the house and as we walked I noticed the increase of guards.

We finally got to a large suite where a female Vampire was singing and stumbling around as she talked about random things to various guards around her. Annalise, I assumed and once we entered the room she stopped and stared at me as she sniffed at the air. She started slowly moving towards me, a predator and not the Lady, and what I assumed was Heir of House Nightfall. Before Samuel could do anything I started circling her and sneered at her.

"Are you sure this is your daughter Lord Gertrude? She might have died in that Lich's lair.' I commented off-hand and she stood up no longer in a crouch anger flashing across her face. Before she could say anything I started talking again. 'Did I say you could speak? A thing does not speak before a woman or man of any Race. All I see in front of me is a thing, driven by instinct and hunger, not a Lady." I challenged her causing her to snarl and raise her hand as if she was going to strike and I continued.

I laughed causing her to halt her movements. "See Lord Gertrude, just a thing of instincts that can't control itself. Your daughter died in that place and this thing in her place should be put down because it can't control itself. The Lady Annalise Gertrude of House Nightfall spat in the face of her torturer. Stood defiant in the face of evil.' I told him as I gestured at her as she cocked her head and blinked confused for the first time. I could see some of the blood-red in her eyes start to fade. 'No, she had an iron will that couldn't be defeated. A little bit of blood, couldn't warp her mind. This thing would kill and eat anything in front of it, or am I mistaken?" I asked her as I got in her face forcing her to face what she had become.

She didn't say anything so I slapped her causing her to hiss, "I asked you a question, are you Annalise Gertrude of House Nightfall, or are you something that needs to be put down because it's not even a monster? That requires either a Yes or No answer." I prodded her causing more startling green to take over as her eyes changed back to a more Human appearance.

My hand rose to strike her again and her hand caught my wrist, "Do not strike me again!" She got out, enunciating each word despite her fanged teeth.

I slowly raised my other hand and touched her forehead, "Well it seems this part of you is back, what about this part?' I asked touching her breast and feeling her heart pulse under my touch before pointing to her father and leaning closer to her so I could whisper in her ear. 'Your father is terrified for you, he is afraid he has lost you either to the darkness or the blood. Has he?" I asked her before slowly stepping back and she released my wrist as she stared before turning her gaze to Samuel and jumping towards him, his arms already outstretched as he hugged her as she started crying.

I slowly walked out of the room, Danicus following me out and shaking his head and probably wondering if I was a mad man or genius. Once we got to the end of the hallway I stopped at one of the guards. "It seems Lord Gertrude is done with us, can you point us to the exit and we will be on our way?" I asked him and he frowned as his eyes went a little vacant I assumed to access his Interface.

After a few moments, he nodded, "Follow me and I will escort you off the grounds." the man replied and he gestured to a few others and they fell in around us. Twenty minutes later, we were on the road for Thebes, the estate of House Nightfall fading behind us.

"That was a huge risk, how did you know it would work?" Danicus asked as we continued to walk at a steady pace.

I snorted and shrugged my shoulders sheepishly. "I wasn't certain, I was just hoping that being the heir to his House she had been trained on many things, including how to control her hunger. That would take mental fortitude and control most people do not practice, but if she had it she could use it to control her hunger for blood and her reaction for feeding on a Human rich blood source." I told him earning a chuckle from the Spartan.

After a few moments, I brought up my immediate concern. "Where to next? I know we are heading towards Thebes, but are we going into the city?" I asked him earning a smile from the Spartan and shrug. I rolled my eyes at the enigmatic answer as I brought up the notification I had minimized after talking to the crazy Vampire.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: A Soul in Need

Notice: You managed to complete the Secret Quest and helped rally Annalise Gertrude in an unorthodox way, but you succeeded where others had failed. Yet the path of healing is long but the first step is always the hardest. You have received 1,000 Experience, your Reputation with House Nightfall has increased to Friendly.

Note* People, Factions, Cities, or Kingdoms that you have a 'Friendly' Reputation with will offer wares at a discount, increase the chance that those loyal to those parties will come to your aid, and will increase the chance that Secret Quests will be revealed to you. See the Wiki for more information about Reputations and how they affect you.

<<<>>>

I smiled, it was a nice boost and a possible friend in the future in a time of need. I wondered if Danicus had received the same notification but I was certain the Spartan could care less one way or the other if a Vampire House considered him a friend or not. 

1