Vicissitude
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 I dove into a white satin sheet bed and rolled into a tiger-striped blanket, passing out. Only rapidly awakening to a sharp pain that radiated in my lower abdomen. As this spasm subsided, after an interval of several cycles of rocking in an awkward position. I slid to the edge, while my hand brushed a damp spot in a middle of a queen-sized bed. Clapping these hands; revealed a red-soaked mess trailing to my sitting position.

Is this what I think it is? 

Yes, my Goddess, you are a woman now. 

I waddled to the bathroom, staring at a body length mirror on the opposite side of this shower. My disheveled lengthy hair covered the entirety of my face. I pushed aside my locks to examine these dark-circled eyes. While Violet lurked in the mirror’s corner for a moment, revealing herself as nothing happened. You know you look like shit. I really don’t want to deal with you right now.  I smeared blood on the mirror for she scoffed, disappearing the way she came

  I tore off my clothes, balling them up, and flung them across the bathroom. Then stepping into a tiled shower, turning the knob to maximum heat, before this water released. Slowly, steam permeated a perfect temperature to soothe my aching body. For two weeks passed since that incident with Icarus, where Violet’s behavior; forced this ongoing threat from these Gods. Elder Selviam barred me from leaving my room; now that Violet’s existence… when he found out… about her?

The water lessened in pressure as I stepped out into a steamy mist. Grabbing at a plush red towel that hanged on the shower door until drying myself off. Yet tightly wrapping in this bath sheet while the heat dissipated; a basket tied with a pink string sat on the sink’s black countertop. I ripped the bow to find several products, various sweets, pads: a note from Elder Selviam. “Thought you could use these. Also, if you look on your left, you will see a new pair of pajamas.”

How did this get in here?

Magic... I felt a disturbance and checked to see the nice gift he sent. 

This is much… how did he even know. Arachne! did you tell him!

He asks for a daily report until we can come to an agreement.

I want to be left alone.

Goddess…

LEAVE ME ALONE.

I slipped into a pair of furry soft pajamas, a subtle laugh in the mirror’s recesses. So that Violet poked her head out, just as smearing the fogged glass off with my towel. Perfectly fitting this all in one teddy bear suit, at least they aren’t footy pajamas. I pulled the hood forward, poking at the light brown ears protruding on top. A loud knock on the door made me jump as Violet took control.

I sulked in a corner in her disorganized bedroom, peering through my own eyes different from last time. Sternly walking a scant distance to the wooden door that I swung open. Augustine held a tray of Violet’s favorite food in his hand. Eggs benedict, how distasteful. Go sulk in your corner like a good girl.

“I brought some breakfast...” Augustine’s eyebrow rose, “God, you look so cute,” he chuckled. 

“Roar,” I posed like a bear, “That cute enough for you,” I snatched a tray from his hand.

 I slammed the door on Augustine, setting the tray on a little dining table. A tingling swept up the back of my neck across this face. When I plopped on to a white-framed chair, staring at the steaming poached eggs. Pounding my hand on the table and then muttered to myself.

I can’t believe it, why did I do that.

Violet? You didn’t just...

Shut up.

 Selfishly, I delved into Violet’s unusual realm that she called a bedroom. Her walls painted with a blue pastel complimented the strange umber-colored wood floor. A pocketknife set hung on a wall neatly above her black desk. Stacks on stacks of organized white paper littered her floor space.

An out of place wooden cabinet with a keyhole stood near Violet’s desk. I placed my hand on the door that shook, then popped open immediately. The papers that laid inside shot at me like an automatic weapon. Able to grab a few papers before they disintegrated, poetry about Augustine. Dust filled the air, landing on her desk and white papers in the corner; on top a surviving poem.

Distracted, I strode closer to a knife that jutted out of a picture of me. Shakily running my index finger across these various incisions in the wall. A crumpled-up paper laid in the corner of her desk. I snatched the intriguing object opening to reveal Augustine laughing with frosting on his face. Staring at the pile of papers, these hands grabbed the lone poem, reading this aloud.

That devilish smile

Those baby blue eyes

The hand that reached out

A warmness that I lacked

Our conversations that…

Violet? Really, you haven’t known him long. What conversations?

The lights shut off in Violet’s bedroom for a sudden motion of collapsing, tossed me about. As a dimmed red light filled the room, where a hand grasped at my right shoulder. Violet forcibly spun me around, seizing her prized possession by her intense reaction.

“That’s mine,” she burned the paper, “Why are you searching through my things?” 

“What else am I supposed to do in here?” I raised my eyebrow, “How is it that in these two weeks you changed so much?”

“Two weeks? It has been two months,”

“What.”

“Shit...” She covered her mouth, “Arachne..” her voice muffled.

“Violet… you never summon me,” Arachne clasped her hands, “What’s wrong?”

I plunged into Violet’s floor, staring at a cloudless sky. A twinge in the temples of my head altered the area pitch black. Infinitesimal specks of light like stars filled the ever-growing darkness. So that I drifted into an aurora with a deafening high pitch noise. An unexpected silence, in a surreal space of my memories floating past in cylindrical balls. 

A swarm of memories blew past me, shuffling themselves off to designated areas. I stood on a newly formed glowing blue path, leading me to a discovery of hidden blacked out orbs. Whereas this odd aura emanated from them as the remnants dissipated upward. A violet sphere approached, splitting in half as white smoke flowed into my ears, entering my brain.

“Regret what,” I pointed to the sky, “you are the reason I am this way,”

I beheld the roof’s gaping hole, so a tunnel of energy formed in a shape of black prophetic clouds. Thunder and lightning twirled in the sky around this now weapon. The rain downed pour: a tumultuous pitch screeched, rattling the estate. After that, a burst of pure catastrophic energy aimed only at me, dispersed. 

Arachne floated into a netlike structure, yet her children attached at every point.  Just as this force field absorbed a fragment of the attack. Arachne broke away while Violet hid in the recesses of my mind, cringing. For the pressure exerted, drove me into the floor several inches in, a frigid sensation slowed my body’s systems. This storm subsided; the surrounding area froze with several hundred feet of ice.

This curious sensation of a warm breath over my body which this blurred figure held an inferno of flame, melting the ice slowly. Awkwardly retreating into myself to find Violet near a campfire in the tundra. Several feet away from the crevice where we locked her in. Violet’s current state abysmal, as deep gashes layered her arms and legs.

“Why did you retreat like that?” I rolled my fist, “I thought you weren’t afraid,”

“You don’t see it, do you?” she warmed her hands, “Look closer to my right foot,”

I focused on a chain that held immense energy, flowing down into her prison below. As though the crevice, barely enough for her to project consciousness through. Inspecting her closer, she pulled me near the fire; melted water fell down my face.

“Why couldn’t I see this from before?” My voice shook, “How do you have so much control?”

“You only focused on yourself,” she slid back, “You haven’t opened your mind to this world yet,”

“You didn’t answer my other question.”

"Look for yourself, genius.”

I hesitantly approached Violet’s chain for the source of this madness. Then, clutching this restraint in my hand as the energy became chaotic. Little roots formed interlacing around these arms, forcing me towards the crevice. A loud thud turned my gaze to a heavily injured Arachne. As deep gashes crossed her body also seeped a black substance, her hands taking the brunt of the force. A disheveled Arachne crawled frantically as Violet kicked loose the chain around her foot.

“What is going on,” My hands tremored, “How was this a good idea, Violet?”

“Just wait, isn’t this great? I finally have freedom again,” she danced, “You will have a pleasant time down there, with her,”

The ground shook, splitting the crevice that dragged me; into what seemed like a pit to my personal hell. I descended several thousands of feet, to hit the hard floor in a dark, cavernous area. A horrid screaming echoed that rocked the walls violently. But, I darted in the opposite direction, unable to see my path ahead, and tripped over a rock.

An artic breeze flowed in from above, a deep jagged opening with this free-falling waterfall. Until a light shone through that reflected off the water, a natural mirror. Yet staring at several gashes across my face, I rinsed off. Blood flowed down the river through a massive cavern. 

“Violet,” I wailed, “I know you can hear me,”

Silence filled the cavern as perpetual darkness begun in the tundra. I searched through the area for a source of light. Yet such a one appeared, floating down from the top with a message from Arachne. A distraught voice as Violet chuckled in the background.

“I am sorry,” she cried, “For now, all I can offer is this light,”

0