3: New Beginning
887 10 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remnya

Despite the kids running past Remnya, the corridors felt cold and empty, and the ruckus was a distant whisper. She chewed her decision, knowing regret was the most likely outcome. But if it meant safeguarding her only chance to leave that place with a family, she'd do it.

Instead of heading to her bedroom, she turned toward the boys' dorms. The time seemed to slow down. Her heart kicked against her ribs, and her palms were soaked with sweat.

I have to do it.

I have to . . .

Otherwise . . .

At the end of the corridor, the stench of the boys' bathroom reached her nose. A smell that triggered the memories of that night. She stood in front of the door and gritted her teeth. Looking left and right, she couldn't see a single soul. She was on her own to face whatever lay behind those rotten walls.

Silence, ominous silence.

Remnya closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and gathered the strength to face the consequences of her reckless decision.

Without thinking, she strode into the bathroom.

. . .

The place was empty.

She scanned every corner in search of Santi until a whisper coming from behind made her turn immediately.

Santi walked into the bathroom with a smirk on his face. Remnya's heart calmed down, seeing he was alone, but disgust flowed through her glare.

"I am here. Now what?" Remnya said, clenching her fists.

"I just wanted to talk." He circled her like a hyena stalking her prey. Yet his small size posed no threat to her, who looked down her nose at him.

"Don't waste my time." She folded her arms. "If this is about what I think it is, the answer is NO!"

Santi giggled. "You say that, but we're not as different as you think, Rem." He walked closer, and Remnya flinched away.

"What do you mean?"

"See for yourself." He leaned forward, putting his head in front of her. "Touch me."

Remnya winced at his words but quickly noticed something different on his head. Reluctantly, she reached out for his greasy hair.

She gasped when her fingers touched two bumps similar to Amy's sticking out.

"No way . . . " Her jaw dropped in disbelief. "You are . . . "

"It seems like we have something in common, after all." He smirked.

Remnya took a moment to assimilate her discovery and then spoke, "I guess so . . . but I don't understand why you chose to tell me of all people."

"You already know why." He shrugged. "And I know Amy is like us too."

She gaped. "Amy?"

Santi nodded and smiled. "This is why we're meant to be together, Rem." He stepped closer. "We're the same."

Remnya put her hands in front of her, keeping him at a distance. "I'm glad you shared this with me, but I'm not sure I understand what you want from me."

"You do know."

"I don't! And I better get going now."

Suddenly and without a word, Santi stomped toward her and grabbed her wrists, moving her arms out of his way.

"Stop it!" Remnya glared at him and tried to shove him away. But her eyes widened when she realized his strength was way beyond his scrawny appearance and cowardly behavior.

Santi squeezed her wrists and pushed her against the wall, but Remnya freed her right hand and smashed a fist against his mouth.

He stepped backward and stood still for a moment, but a smile spread across his face. "You've always underestimated me, haven't you?" He lifted his gaze at her; his pupils had turned into two red dots stinging her skin. "Do you think I hang with Liam out of fear?" He giggled. "That fool gets me what I want, whenever I want. Though, it's a pity he hasn't managed to get rid of that four-eyed nuisance yet."

"You mean Zeo?" Remnya buried her nails into her palms. "Don't tell me you've always been the one behind all his suffering!"

Santi folded his arms. "I couldn't get rid of him myself because it was too risky, so I always got those idiots to do the dirty job for me."

"Why?" Remnya shouted, glaring at him as fury burned her insides. "What he ever did to you?"

"That bitch has always been all over you. It's annoying." Santi's face changed, and his expression darkened with hatred. "And you only seem to care about him. Why?"

"I can't believe it . . . " Remnya walked forward, gritting her teeth. "You're the worst, you jerk!"

"Oh, am I?" Santi pouted mockingly. "Why don't you try to burn me too then?"

"I . . . " Remnya froze.

"What do you think will happen when they find out about what you did?"

Silence.

"Why . . . ?" Remnya shook her head, unable to recognize the monster in front of her. "I always thought you were better than them."

"Bullshit. You never saw me differently." Santi took one step forward. "But it's okay, Rem. I always get what I want, one way or another." He lunged toward her and slammed her body against the wall, holding her arms with unnatural force. Unlike Liam or Butter, his hands felt like a press, crushing her wrists. She had never felt something like that before.

He leaned forward, trying to kiss her, but she ducked and smashed her head against his nose.

Blood flew away as he winced in pain. Remnya took advantage of his confusion to kick his groin and free her hands from his grip.

Santi curled up in pain, and Remnya saw the chance to run away as fast as she could.

From behind, she overheard a roar of anger and unintelligible curses, but that didn't matter anymore.

Even though her blood boiled with anger, her legs didn't stop. Fleeing was her best choice. Remnya had never met someone who could overpower her with such ease, and using her fire against him was out of the question.

Remnya bolted into her room and shoved herself under the blankets, trembling. Her heart kicked against her ribs, resonating in her ears with violence. Not even the nasty comments of her roommates could reach her.

Was it over for her?

Why would Santi go that far?

What could she do to stop him?

Unable to find answers, Remnya closed her eyes and allowed the exhaustion of her body and mind to shut down his brain.

*°*°*

A grim atmosphere filled the orphanage that night. The violent wind caused all kinds of screeches on the weakened structure of the building, resembling the cackle of a witch. Yet, Remnya was deeply asleep, drooling on her pillow. She lay diagonally with her arms and legs hanging outside the bed.

As mercy of fate, nightmares gave her a break.

In her dream, Remnya saw her gray and white cat—the one she missed so much. That year had been harder without him, and ever since then, she had refused to shed a single tear. She played with her kitty, petted him, and allowed him to purr under her blanket.

That was her ideal world, a world where death didn't exist, and neither did Orena, Liam, or Santi.

But it wasn't real. It was stupid.

The monster of reality reminded her of it every morning when it devoured her dreams.

It was four-thirty in the morning when the door burst open, and Orena stomped into her room. She walked up to Remnya and shook her violently.

"Wake up, brat!" she yelled, but Remnya barely noticed her. The old lady grabbed a glass of water from a nightstand and splashed it on her face.

Remnya flinched at the cold water and covered herself with the blankets. "What's going on?"

"Get up!" Orena roared, pulling the blankets off her and yanking her off the bed. Remnya sat back on the bed half-asleep, trying to understand the situation, but Orena forced her to stand up and out of the room.

Remnya's head felt like falling apart, and her soul threatened to escape her body as the pieces of the puzzle began to fit. Had they found out about what happened with Butter? Had Santi revealed her secret? Was she being taken to the basement?

"I can explain!" Remnya shouted desperately, but Orena kept on dragging her through the cold corridors.

Is it really over?

The old lady pushed Remnya into an empty dark bedroom.

Remnya had begun to think of an escape plan when Orena turned the lights on, and Ellyn entered the room with a sleepy face.

"What's going on, Ellyn?" Remnya asked, scanning every corner with wide-open eyes. The room looked normal, and she couldn't find any belts or sticks to beat her body.

"We gotta get you ready. Your family is coming soon," Ellyn said, trying to untangle hair out of a brush.

"What?" Remnya's jaw dropped as she blinked with confusion. "Now? For real?"

Ellyn bobbed her head and forced a smile. Remnya scanned her gray eyes in search of lies or ill intentions, but there were none. It was the truth, a truth she had been longing for since she was a toddler.

The time slowed in that gloomy room, and a bittersweet sensation wrapped around her heart. Perhaps, her everlasting dream of having a family had become a reality.

Remnya froze while a hurricane of emotions unleashed in her head. The idea of a family was an alien concept, and she had assumed no one would ever want to adopt a devil with horns.

It had to be a dream or a joke.

Orena yanked Remnya's arm and forced her to sit in front of a mirror. "Now, stay still!" she roared, pulling at her hair roughly with a brush.

The pain brought her back to reality. It was real.

"Ouch! All this is too sudden!" Remnya twisted her body. "I haven't said goodbye to my friends yet!" The face of Zeo and Amy popped up in her mind.

"I don't care!" Orena yanked her hair, forcing Remnya to lift her head.

"That hurts, old hag!" Remnya yelled, pushing Orena's hand away, causing her to drop the brush. The old lady roared and slapped Remnya across the face. Her head barely moved; she was used to her hits and wouldn't give her the satisfaction of seeing her in pain.

"Orena, please," Ellyn said, holding Orena's fist before it landed on Remnya's face again. "Remember what he said."

Orena clenched her teeth and bent over to pick up the brush. Remnya looked at her through the mirror and stuck out her tongue. The old lady held back to avoid hitting her again. She ordered Ellyn to finish combing Remnya's hair and then stormed out of the room.

Ellyn finished and went to retrieve several bags with clothes she dropped on the bed. A blue dress caught Remnya's attention. She picked it up and sniffed it.

"It smells like new," she said, holding it up to take a better look at it.

"Do you like it?" Ellyn asked. "Sarah picked that for you."

Remnya gave Ellyn a sidelong glance and put the dress back on the bed. "It's cute, I guess . . . But why?"

"Just a last gift for you." Ellyn smiled. "Now, please change into your new clothes. The socks and shoes are in the other bags," Ellyn said as she walked out of the room and closed the door behind her.

Remnya wondered if they had gone crazy overnight; they had never given her new clothes in her life.

I can't trust them. It has to be a trap.

Remnya finished changing and looked in the mirror, barely recognizing herself without her tomboyish clothes. Sometimes Remnya forgot she was a girl, so the sight staggered her. Why did those kids call her an ugly witch? What was wrong with her face? Remnya felt stupid, but a smile pulled at her lips.

Her eyes widened when she noticed something. Her collar was gone. "What?" she shouted, inspecting her neck. I bet they took it when I was asleep! That sneaky old hag! Her neck looked naked without it, but it was a pleasant feeling.

Tired of looking at herself, Remnya tried to open the door and go to Zeo's room to say goodbye, but they had locked it from the other side. "Stupid old hag!" Remnya roared, kicking and punching the door several times. But no matter how hard she hit it, no one came.

Sleepy and furious, Remnya sat on the bed, crossing her arms, and waited for the witches to return.

The silence allowed her to rethink the events from last night. Without her around, Santi had no reason to hurt Zeo anymore. Perhaps her absence was for the better. After all, she was the cause of all problems, she thought.

Everyone should be happier without me.

I just hope he can understand this . . .

Eventually, fatigue won over her body again.

*°*°*

A heavy hand landed on Remnya's face.

"Look at your hair!" Orena yelled, shaking her violently. Remnya had messed up her hairstyle and felt how the old lady brushed her bangs roughly. She was still half-asleep when Orena forced her to walk out of the room.

The bright light of the morning blinded her sleepy eyes when they arrived at the entrance hall. She glimpsed a familiar face; it was that elegant man again, Marcus. He was standing at the front door with a frown.

"Him?" Remnya raised her eyebrows, pointing at Marcus.

"Shut up!" Orena yelled, slapping her hand. They stopped in front of him, and the old lady smiled. "She's ready, Mr. Marcus. As promised."

Marcus scanned Remnya from head to toe. His sharp pupils stopped at her red cheek. He remained silent for a moment and then asked coldly, "Did you hit her again?"

"No, no, sir!" Orena said, shaking her head nervously.

Remnya frowned at Orena and nodded at Marcus. "I should get your hands cut, old woman," Marcus said, glaring at Orena, who widened her eyes in fear and began apologizing. "Don't apologize to me. Apologize to her." He gestured at Remnya.

Orena looked at Remnya and back at Marcus. His face emanated a deadly aura. "I'm sorry, Remnya," she mumbled, swallowing her pride.

Remnya stifled a chuckle making Orena's face swell with fury. Marcus' serious expression faded as he stared at Remnya. "Are you ready to go, young girl?" he asked in a gentle voice.

She gaped at him, unable to believe he could be polite. "Can I say goodbye to my friends?" she asked, embarrassed.

"Go ahead." Marcus bobbed his head. Remnya smiled at him and darted toward the dorms.

Remnya rushed to find Amy first.

The little girl slept wrapped to her teddy bear. Remnya hugged her, kissed her forehead, and watched her sleep for long seconds. That's when the realization hit her like a train. Her eyes filled with tears, but she held them back. Amy will be mad at me, Remnya thought as she ruffled her silky hair for the last time.

She headed to the next dorm and stopped by Butter's ex-room. "I hope you get well soon," she murmured.

"I doubt that fatass will."

Remnya turned with disgust to find Santi standing behind her with a smile.

"I got no time for you now." She began to walk away.

"Does your new dad know about your fire?"

Remnya glared at him, heat building up in her chest. Yet she spoke confidently, "Go ahead and tell him, if you dare."

Knowing he wasn't worth it anymore, she left him behind. Santi said something, but her ears were deaf to poisonous words. She had something more important to do.

Remnya wandered the corridors for a while until she finally found her friend. Zeo was already waiting for her near the stairs with a bag in his hands.

They exchanged looks as she leaned on the wall next to him.

The moment seemed to last forever until Remnya spoke.

"I didn't think it would be so soon," she said, caressing her tail.

"It's okay, Rem." Zeo smiled shyly while his eyes seemed unable to recognize Remnya in those clothes. She looked like a girl, a cute girl. Realizing his mouth was wide open, he forced his gaze to the floor. "I said I would make a present for you, and since there won't be another chance . . . Here." Zeo handed her the bag he was holding. "Sorry, though, it's not finished yet."

Remnya took the bag but didn't look inside. "I'm gonna miss you."

"Me too," Zeo's voice finally cracked, and his eyes flooded with tears.

Remnya pulled him toward her and hugged him tightly. His slim body was shaking between her strong arms. Zeo tried to say something, but his voice drowned in the rainfall that rolled down his cheeks.

"Be strong, Zeo. I don't care what those jerks say about you. For me, you're brave and strong." She tightened her grasp around him.

Zeo seemed to want to say something, and express his inner feelings, but words didn't dare to come out. Every time he tried, tears muffled him.

"Remember, you're not a coward, so stop thinking that. I believe in you." Remnya released him and stared deep into his wet, green eyes.

"Thank you, Rem," Zeo mumbled, taking off his glasses and wiping his tears. "You . . . I . . . " he stuttered, unable to say it.

Remnya's vision blurred with tears, but again, she fought them back. Remnya regarded him with a faint smile, and in a sudden, clumsy movement, she kissed his moist cheek. After that, Remnya didn't dare to look at him anymore and ran away.

Zeo turned red as he watched her disappear at the end of the corridor. He sniffled and rubbed his eyes, trying to get ahold of himself. He caressed his cheek and sobbed. "Rem . . . " He sat on the floor and buried his face between his knees.

It was over. It was time to go.

Remnya stood next to Marcus in front of the orphanage. Some kids gathered by the windows to witness her departure while Orena and Ellyn stood by the door.

Remnya lifted her eyes to stare at the orphanage, and a knot oppressed her chest. She would miss that ugly place; it had been her home ever since she could remember; too many friends and memories.

But the time had come.

She waved at everyone with a smile on her face and walked toward the car. Marcus opened the backdoor, and she hoped inside. He eased on his seat and adjusted his mirror until Remnya appeared in its reflection.

She grabbed the bag Zeo had given her and drew her gift from it.

A doll.

But not any doll. It was her doll: black hair, crimson eyes, two tiny horns, a tail, and a smile on its face. It even smelled like her favorite perfume, vanilla lemon. A warm sensation filled her heart as she hugged it. Zeo said it wasn't finished, but when Remnya inspected it, she couldn't find anything wrong with it.

It was perfect.

The car started up. Remnya glanced over her shoulder at the orphanage for the last time, and finally, Marcus drove away.

She was on her way to a new beginning.

*°*°*

37