9: Black Diamonds
198 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marcus

The wind blew wild that cold night, dragging depressing clouds past the crescent moon. Marcus was standing on the mansion porch, a cigarette between his lips and both hands in his pockets. He looked different, wearing an elegant black tuxedo. The shadow drawing across his face turned his obsidian eyes into holes of darkness.

Strangely, the events of that night lingered in his mind. Why? Regret was still unknown, but something else burdened his soul. His path seemed feeble. Like a slippery road, his steps felt uncertain.

However, there was no time for hesitation. He had to do it for her.

For her.

Magenta slammed the front door and bolted outside. She was wearing a long, dark carmine dress that fell on her ankles, tickling the diamonds on her black heels. She paced around her fountain, inspecting every detail as she brushed the marble with her pale fingers. The water shined with a cobalt glow while six beams of water danced and drew fancy figures in different tones of red.

The Lady walked up to Marcus. “Why that face?” she asked, frowning.

“It’s nothing, my lady.”

“He’s coming soon. You better change that face of yours now!” Magenta glared at him. She looked more agitated than usual.

“Yes, my lady.” Marcus forced a smile. Magenta rolled her emerald eyes and dashed back inside.

Marcus let out a deep sigh. His thoughts were wild animals trapped in his brain, and he was trying to keep them caged. He lit his twentieth cigarette in one hour and fixed his eyes on the entrance.

The wind calmed, and silence materialized for a quick second.

A sudden clank resounded as the front gates of the mansion opened. A vermilion limousine drove through, blinding Marcus with its blue headlights until it stopped at the entrance. Two men in black suits stepped out.

The tallest one opened the back door, and a man in a flamboyant red suit descended from the car. He adjusted his lapel as a smug smirk drew across his flushed, plump face. He tightened his bowtie and strutted toward the entrance.

He looked like a giant tomato in his gaudy attire. Gold teeth dazzled dimly on his twisted smile while multiple rings sparkled on his fat fingers. Most of his hair was gone, except for a few black strands on the back of his head.

Magenta was waiting for him at the door, accompanied by Maria and Karen, another one of her maids. He walked up to them, swaying his body in a feminine rhythm. He glanced at the maids and then locked his eyes on The Lady.

“Dear Magenta, long time no see!” he said, grabbing her hands between his and greeting her by kissing her cheek.

“Mr. Doman, it’s a pleasure to see you again.” Magenta returned a beautiful smile.

“I’ve heard great things, and I had to come and see them by myself.” He didn’t let go of Magenta’s hands.

“You’ll be pleased. It’s probably better than you think.”

“Now, those are good news!” He laughed in a high-pitched grunt. “Please, dear Magenta, call me Persen.”

“Alright, Persen. Let me introduce you to my girls.” She reached out for Maria. “This is Maria. I think you’ve met her before.”

Persen approached Maria, biting his lower lip. He seized her hands and kissed her cheek with an open mouth that left a trail of saliva on her. “How are you, young Maria? It’s been a while!”

“It has, Mr. Doman,” Maria said, smiling as her body squirmed nervously.

Magenta introduced the other girl and then invited him to come inside. Persen allowed the ladies to go first. But when Maria walked past him, he reached out for her rear. The maid gasped and glanced at him in disbelief, her lavender eyes widening.

“Keep going, young Maria.” Persen winked at her with a creepy smile.

Maria turned pale and nodded slowly before resuming her walk.

Marcus paid no attention to the situation because his gaze was locked on Persen’s bodyguards: Viper and Skado. Viper was tall and bulky, with a long forehead and long grayish-black hair like wool. His penetrating eyes were pale gray, and his smile inexistent.

Skado was younger and shorter. Slender body with a bony face and sunken black eyes. He had the coldest stare Marcus had ever seen and a weird tick that made his upper lip quiver all the time.

They smell like death, Marcus thought as he kept eye contact with them for long seconds.

Everyone arrived at the great hall. Magenta and Persen sat on two large sofas covered in red velvet, arranged on opposite sides of a crystal table adorned with rubies. Maria and Karen stood behind Magenta while Marcus stood closer to the door. Viper and Skado stood behind Persen.

“Dear Magenta, I can’t wait to meet her!” Persen said, rubbing his hands together.

“You will tonight.” Magenta winked at him.

“Where is she right now?”

“She will be ready soon, Persen.” Magenta glared at Maria. The maid apologized and rushed out of the room.

Her eyes returned to Persen. “Shall we drink something while we wait?” Magenta offered a cup of martini that Persen took with delight.

*°*°*

Remnya

Remnya was looking at the moon through her window when she heard someone knocking on the door. She clenched her fists and hissed, knowing what they wanted from her. Leaving the door locked and ignoring Maria seemed like a good idea, but angering Magenta was the last thing she wanted to do.

I have no choice.

Remnya stepped out of her room and slammed the door behind her. She crossed her arms and scowled. “Why do I have to do this?” She sighed.

“We just, uh . . . “ Maria looked away, hesitating to speak. “We have a special guest tonight, and as Magenta’s daughter, it’s expected of you to be there.” She giggled nervously.

“Ok, but,” Remnya grimaced as she pointed at her new dress, “why do I have to wear this stupid outfit?” she yelled. Her dress differed from anything she had worn before. It was tight on her waist and very short, plus it didn’t cover her chest as much as she wished.

“It’s just different, but looks great on you, young lady!” Maria assured her with a smile.

She scoffed, shaking her head. “Do I have to go now?”

“Yes, please.”

Remnya rolled her eyes and gave Maria a sidelong glance. The maid was clasping her hands and avoiding eye contact with her. Remnya knew she had to go, or else Magenta would be furious. She took a deep breath and followed Maria.

An odd feeling grew in her stomach as she walked toward her meeting.

They arrived at the great hall and stood by the doorway. Remnya peeked out at the weird man laughing with Magenta. As soon as Persen spotted her, a wide smile drew across his round face. She felt a sudden urge to flee when his gray gaze hit her like a punch, but Magenta was motioning for her to come.

Remnya held her breath and walked forward while Persen’s eyes pierced her like knives.

“Dear Persen, this is Remnya,” Magenta said, holding Remnya’s hand.

“Remnya, uh?” Persen scanned her from head to toe in silence. He did it three times over, nodding after every inspection. “You are way more beautiful than I thought. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” He beamed at her and offered his hand.

Remnya had a knot in her throat. His sole presence made her skin crawl, but she had to be polite; Magenta was watching. “It’s nice to meet you too, mister,” she replied, bowing her head and ignoring his hand. The last thing she wanted was to touch him.

“My name is Persen. I’m so glad we finally got to meet, young Remnya. Magenta told me a lot about you, but your beauty can not be described with words.” He leaned forward to inspect her dress.

“Thank you,” Remnya stuttered as she gave him a suspicious look.

“Come, sit, Remnya.” Magenta patted the seat next to her.

Remnya tugged her dress and sat with her legs pressed together. She hated that stupid dress.

Persen had never stopped staring at her. She tried to avoid eye contact, but his eyes always searched for hers.

“How old are you, Remnya?” he asked, crossing his fingers.

“Thirteen, mister.”

“Really? I could’ve sworn you were older!” He guffawed.

Magenta and her maids forced a smile, but Marcus rolled his eyes. Persen kept asking questions, and Remnya always replied with short answers and a serious face. It was a sketchy interrogatory.

When Persen was done with his questions, he turned and raised his eyebrows at his bodyguards. They understood what he meant, and so did Magenta.

“Well, Persen. If you excuse me, I need to attend an urgent business right now. I promise you it won’t take long.” Magenta turned to Remnya with a grin. “My dear, I need you to keep Mr. Persen company while I’m gone.”

Her words sent cold shivers down her spine. Remnya wanted to shout at her not to leave her, but couldn’t. She’ll think I’m afraid . . . I’m not afraid! But this is weird! Resigned, Remnya clenched her fists and nodded.

Magenta stood up and beckoned her maids and Marcus to leave. Remnya was left alone with Persen, and the immense hall seemed to shrink around her.

Persen leaned forward with his orbs locked on her body. He didn’t even try to pretend anymore. “That dress looks superb on you, young Remnya.” He caressed his fat cheeks and nodded.

“Thank you, I guess.” She tugged her dress down to cover her legs.

“Can you stand up, please?” Persen rubbed his hands together.

Remnya widened her eyes, thrown off by such a request. What the heck? Why is he asking me this? She wanted to yell ‘NO!’, but the image of Magenta popped into her head. Remnya scowled and let out a silent sigh. She held her dress tightly over her legs and stood up.

“You’re really tall, aren’t you?” Persen nodded to himself, approving of the sight. He scanned her body, so focused he seemed to see through her clothes.

Remnya dropped to her seat again. A fire was building up in her, threatening to burn that obnoxious man.

Persen caressed his chin. “Tell me more about you. Do you have a boyfriend?”

“A boyfriend?” Remnya gaped at him. That’s none of your business, weird old man! “I don’t!” She raised her voice as her heart kicked in her chest.

A yellow grin covered his face as he nodded over and over. “Is there any boy you like?”

“No, there’s no one.” Her face turned red. His stupid question only fueled the fire burning in her chest.

“How can such a cute girl like you not have a boyfriend? I’m sure the boys go crazy for you!” He let out a burst of high-pitched laughter.

“I don’t care about that.” Remnya glared at him; her eyes had turned into blazes.

“Yet.” His thin lips twitched. Persen dragged his body forward, sitting on the edge of the sofa. He stretched his short neck to look at her chest. “You are growing. I’m sure you’ve been feeling different lately. Am I right?”

“Different?”

“Yes! Your body is changing. You don’t look like a little girl anymore. You’re starting to look like a woman.” Persen licked his upper lip and smirked. “I’m sure you’ve noticed how your chest is growing bigger and bigger!” His voice cracked with excitation.

The red on Remnya’s cheeks turned as crimson as her wide-open eyes. She instinctively covered her chest as a mix of embarrassment and anger revolted her stomach. Stupid old man! Why is he telling me this?

She buried her fingers in the sofa. The fire in her was about to erupt through her mouth and fists. Before it was too late, Remnya decided she wouldn’t speak one more word to the creepy man, or else her fist would end up in his disgusting mouth.

“I see you’re getting embarrassed talking about this, but don’t worry, it’s something natural for all girls your age.” Persen leaned back in his seat. The irritating smile had never left his shiny face.

She fixed her eyes on the doorway, wishing Magenta would return before she kicked Persen’s prominent belly.

“You’re a bit shy, but I really enjoyed our time together,” Persen said as he stood up.

Remnya froze in her seat. That man loomed over her like a giant. He leaned closer, and Remnya flinched, rushing to take a defensive stance. Was he trying to hurt her now? Persen was thousands of times scarier than Orena. She could hear her heart kicking like crazy against her chest while cold sweat rolled down her back.

Persen reached out for his back pocket and drew three bundles of money. He placed them on the table in front of Remnya.

“You can buy something nice with this. Thank you very much for the talk, young Remnya.” Persen beamed at her, his gold teeth reflected in her eyes. “Hopefully, we can meet again soon.” He started toward the door.

Remnya watched him leave the hall. She was panting and shaking, but when that monster disappeared, her heart slowed down. Remnya sat still with a vacant stare and a numb feeling in her mind. She overheard Persen and Magenta’s voices echoing outside for a while until they faded into the night.

Long minutes passed. Remnya caught her breath and could move her body again. She wiped the sweat from her forehead and grabbed the money on the table. She stared at it: 50,000 Dentz; she had never seen so much money together in her life. Remnya tightened her fingers on the bundle, her hand trembling.

Remnya stood up, narrowing her eyes. She let out a roar of anger and slammed the money on the floor.

“I don’t want your stupid money, creepy old man!”

*°*°*

9