56: Silent Killer
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Remnya

The shadow of a Redwood tree loomed over Remnya, who sat atop a hill observing the village of Andras above the horizon. A hummingbird hovered over her head while she ate her pumpkin pie and hummed a sad song. Merle had gone ahead, promising to leave the boy at the hospital while she rested. However, he had ordered her to meet him at the village square before sunset.

Remnya finished her meal and planted the remaining pumpkin seeds into the ground. She took a deep breath, stretching her arms and legs, and then put on the cap Merle had given her to hide her horns. Lastly, she shoved her jacket into one of the travel bags and rolled up her tail under her pants.

The road ahead was a downhill dirt path, squeezed by farmlands where cows and sheep roamed freely. Having rested, Remnya felt her body full of energy again, and the cozy sight of nature helped her calm her mind and heart. She walked for half an hour until the village entrance rose in the distance.

Andras was smaller than her hometown, yet elegant and tidy, with rustic buildings and paved streets. People looked modest and hardened by agricultural labor, but most wore a smile on their faces, something she wasn't used to seeing. The only sounds in the village belonged to street merchants selling fruits, meat, and strange handicrafts, accompanied by the occasional roar of some old car that drove by without a destination.

Out of curiosity, Remnya approached a nearby vendor to check his items. Rune necklaces crafted with beautiful stones, gold and silver rings, and fancy earrings sparkling like stars, among other things, lay over a red velvet carpet.

A man with white hair like snow locked his droopy eyes on her and smiled. "Welcome, young lady! Are you looking for something? We have a beautiful collection of garnets that would sure go great with your eyes."

"Hello!" Remnya said, scanning the jewelry with embedded stones that shone like a rainbow under the sunlight. However, she looked for something else, a cursed item made out of death and bones. Remnya needed to know if the villagers shared the same customs as those monsters. "I am looking for something." She paused, gathering the strength to push the words out of her mouth. "Do you have. . . horns?"

The man's smile faded as he furrowed his eyebrows. "What kind of horns?"

"Small horns," Remnya murmured.

Silence.

"Like animal horns?" He twisted his lips, wrinkles spreading through his face. "Or Nephilim horns?"

Remnya took a moment to process his question and nodded. "Nephilim horns."

He folded his arms and bore his pupils into her. "Sorry, young lady. I think you're asking the wrong person. Not only that's illegal, but it's also a grave sin against the Lord." He scowled. "Why are you interested in such a thing?"

"I am not!" Remnya rushed to say, feeling stupid for even asking about it. "I was, uh. . ." An idea popped up in her head. "Doing my research for school. . . Yeah! That's it!"

"School?" The man scanned her from head to toe and raised an eyebrow. "You're not from around here, are you?" He made a long pause, and then, his eyes widened like two moons. "Oh! I beg your pardon, young lady. I hadn't noticed it until now." He bowed to her. "You must be the daughter of one of the overlords of Crysalton."

"What?" Remnya blinked with confusion.

"Aren't you part of the commission of Crysalton that arrived last month?"

"I. . ." She hesitated. "I am not."

"Oh, my apologies then." The man let out a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from his forehead. "Forgive this silly old man. I've been worrying way too much about my first interaction with the overlords."

"Don't worry." Remnya forced a smile. "But who are they? I just arrived here today."

"The well-dressed men with horns and luxurious cars. If you happen to run into them, you'll recognize them immediately. Rumors claim they were sent by the government of the Capital to watch over the rising cases of attacks on horned people."

Remnya's pupils dilated, hearing his words. "Is that all they are here for?"

"I'm not sure, but ever since they arrived, the crime rate has dropped dramatically, and the most dangerous criminals have. . . well, disappeared." The man grinned, a hint of hope in his eyes.

"Really?" Remnya tightened her lips, confusion invading her mind. "Haven't they caused any problem? I've heard they're dangerous."

He shook his head. "Not at all. In fact, we're glad they're here. My daughter can walk the streets without the fear of being attacked by some drunk bastard, robber, or worse, a rapist. They were everywhere not long ago."

Remnya stood still, staring vacantly at the jewelry in front of her. Was that man speaking the truth?

"You probably came from a big city and might not be familiar with this place, but the situation used to be pretty bad. We thank those men for what they've done for us. If I have to honest, the only ones you should be afraid of are those criminals from the forest." The old man leaned closer and whispered in her ear, "Karx."

"Karx?" Remnya asked, widening her eyes.

The man gasped and gestured with his hands for her to lower her voice. "Please, young lady, don't mention them here. They're dangerous criminals who have only caused pain and destruction."

"That's not true." Remnya scowled at him. "The Hunters are the ones behind the biggest crimes."

"The Hunters?" he asked cluelessly. "I don't know who these Hunters are, but I do know the wild men with V-shaped tattoos are wicked beasts." The old man narrowed his eyes. "I lost my wife to one of their raids, and they almost took my daughter the last time. Not to mention the number of friends who have lost their lives because of them."

"Karx?" Remnya repeated, refusing to believe his words, but the man's eyes revealed honesty and pain. Remnya knew those eyes; they were the ones of someone who had lost half of his life. She clenched her fists as guilt tore her insides. "I am sorry about all that, mister."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, young lady. All this must be new for you. Forgive this silly old man for rambling about himself. I didn't mean to scare you either." He bowed to her and grabbed a silver necklace from a shelf behind him. "Please, accept this as part of my people's welcome present."

"I can't, mister." Remnya shook her head. "It's my fault. I was asking dumb questions." She laughed nervously. "I'm sorry for bothering you with all this."

The man chuckled. "Please, I insist. You have the eyes of a girl who has seen the world." He reached out for her neck and bowed to her. "This will bring you luck in your journey to find that precious person you're looking for."

His words sent a shiver down her spine. "I. . ." she stammered, taking the necklace between her hands and inspecting it closely: a golden chain with a half-moon pendant crafted in a turquoise gemstone she couldn't recognize. "I can't accept this, mister!"

"Hey, you!" a deep voice roared behind her. "Why are you wasting your time buying jewelry, knucklehead?"

Quickly, Remnya turned and saw Merle's scowl looming over her. "I wasn't buying anything!" she shouted.

"Let's go! Get moving now!" he grunted, grabbing her arm and dragging her away from the shop. The villagers turned to them and gossiped; two old ladies buying vegetables shook their heads at Merle. Remnya imagined they thought Merle was her father, making her even more embarrassed and frustrated.

Hissing, Remnya shook her arm away from his grasp and turned to look at the old man behind her. He smiled tenderly and waved at her. Remnya sighed and did the same before following Merle.

"You didn't have to yell in front of everyone," Remnya complained, folding her arms.

"We've wasted way too much time already, and I just find out those motherfucking Hunters are stepping on our tails. The info my men gave us was wrong. Someone snitched on us!" Merle clenched his massive fists. "When I find out who. . . I'm gonna force them to eat their own tongue before I crush their fucking skull with my own hands."

Remnya gulped. "What do we do now?"

"We move! Forget about spending the night here. We'll travel all night long."

"Understood." She sighed and then noticed something in her hands: the old man's necklace. "Dammit," she whispered, glancing behind her. I guess I'll have to return it later.

"Also, your wish will become true," Merle said, punching a nearby wall, destroying the concrete in half, and scaring a boy selling fruits. "We'll travel by car from here."

"Do we have a car?"

Merle guffawed and slapped her back, emptying her lungs with the weight of his massive hand. "I always wonder how a naive kid like you made it this far without dying." He messed up her hair.

"I wonder the same," she murmured, knowing her journey had just started.

*°*°*

Zeo

Good morning.

That soothing voice eased the tempest in his heart.

I hope you rested well.

He felt as if a massive weight had left his shoulders.

I prepared your favorite food.

Perhaps that had always been his fate.

What do you want to do today?

Perhaps fighting his true nature had always been his mistake.

I'm glad we're together.

Perhaps his soul could finally be free from his chains.

I love. . .

Perhaps just perhaps.

I. . .

No.

Silence put an end to impossible dreams.

No more.

Reality annihilated his crimson fantasy.

I don't need you anymore.

. . .

. . .

. . .

*°*°*

Slowly, Zeo opened his heavy eyelids and saw her face. So beautiful, so distant, her eyes deprived of joy. Not the one of his dreams, but the only one.

Despite her tears, Zeo knew he had made the right choice.

"Good morning," Maria said soothingly and forced a smile. She wore a casual yet captivating white dress that revealed more than she probably wanted. Her long hair had been washed and styled elegantly, and her skin looked more radiant than ever under the pale lights.

Someone must've forced her to wear that.

"Good morning," Zeo answered, scanning his new bedroom. A massive cage for his new life, two beds, two large closets of blackwood, a tall bookshelf, and doorways leading to more rooms. A thin LED monitor loomed over him with a tiny camera; he knew it was more than a TV or a computer.

Zeo sat up and stretched his arms, cracking his knuckles and neck. The mild pain told him his wounds had improved.

After a long silence, he spoke to Maria again, "Do you know why I did it?"

"Zeo," Maria murmured and shook her head. "You don't have to give me any explanation." She lowered her gaze. "You did what you had to do."

Zeo clenched his fists, hating the fact that the turmoil in his heart had disappeared. It wasn't right. Why didn't he feel remorse? Why didn't his decision crush his soul and mind? Unable to find an answer, he brushed the stupid thought away and got out of bed, ready to face the consequences of his choices.

"Where's Mara—I mean, the captain?" Zeo asked, looking for his eyepatch.

"Gone, but she left a message." Maria held her hands together behind her back. "She said you can rest all this week."

"There's no time to rest." Zeo opened one of the closets and found a wide range of clothes, from Hunter uniforms to casual shirts. Inside a drawer, he saw a collection of eyepatches of different colors. He grabbed a black one and chose a light combat shirt and pants. "I'll go explore this place."

Maria tightened her lips and nodded hesitantly.

Zeo changed and adjusted his new clothes, unfazed by Maria's presence. In a corner, he found his footwear and picked a pair of combat boots that matched his black pants. Ready to face his new environment, he walked toward a large metal door but stopped to look at Maria for a moment. "Do you want to come?"

Maria's eyes revealed fear, yet she nodded. "I'll come with you if you want me."

Zeo considered leaving her in the room, but he knew she had to get used to her new lifestyle as soon as possible. "Yeah, I want you to come." He tapped a touchscreen next to the door. A beep resounded through the room, and the doors slid open.

On the other side awaited a long corridor surrounded by white metallic walls and blinding LED lights that covered the ceiling. Zeo took the first step, and Maria followed. As they advanced, he noticed every door had a number plate where he could read the full names of his new companions.

Another door glimmered at the end of the corridor. Zeo tapped another touchscreen. After a beep, it opened, revealing what seemed to be a dining hall. The eyes of several soldiers landed on the pair like magnets, but Zeo ignored them and headed toward a food machine. Two men murmured behind his back while a group of three women gossiped about something.

Multiple food machines were lined up along the wall, offering various meals and drinks. Zeo grabbed two bottles of apple juice from one and two chicken sandwiches and a salad from another.

Far from everyone, they sat at a table in a corner, and Zeo finally lifted his gaze to recognize his fellow Hunters. Maria shifted awkwardly in her seat, with her legs trembling. Zeo grabbed her hand and stared deep into her eyes. "It's okay. No one is going to hurt you anymore," he said confidently.

Maria stared back at him for a moment, her lavender eyes flickering with fear, and then nodded.

A tall man stood in the distance, smirking at the pair, and then began walking in their direction. Zeo locked his eye on him, observing every one of his movements until he halted before them. Uninvited, he sat across their table, slamming his elbows on the metal, and grabbed one of Zeo's sandwiches.

Silence.

"I've heard great things about you, Azlanin Zeo," he said in a soft voice that contrasted with his hardened appearance. Zeo could not perceive sarcasm or ill intentions in his words. "Not many can say they faced the ex-Lieutenant Edo and survived. Let alone, take one of his eyes."

"I did what I had to do," Zeo said, burying his fingers into the sandwich the man had taken between his hands, "and I would do it again."

The man let out a burst of laughter, nodding and releasing the sandwich. "My name is Arkor, and like you, I am a hybrid too." He opened his arms and glanced at the people in the hall. "In fact, everyone here is a Hybrid."

"I thought The Hunters hated Hybrids." Zeo took a bite of his food.

"Don't get me wrong, Azlanin Zeo." He narrowed his eyes. "Even if we're here as members of the great Hunters, we are still just cannon fodder. Our lives depend on our lords, or as we like to call them, our Gods. Though, you're lucky, my friend. Our dear captain Marakudra chose you as his warrior."

"What about you?"

"Me?" Arkor chuckled and shook his head. "I was stupid enough to challenge our lords, believing I could liberate my people. In the end, my army was crushed, my home destroyed, and my friends reduced to corpses. The only reason I am still alive is that I earned someone's respect out there."

"I see," Zeo replied, uninterested, and kept chewing his food.

Arkor let out a silent sigh, and his eyes revealed the pain of a soldier who had lost everything. "Ever since our demise, we've been surviving under the command of our lords. Everyone's lives here belong to our dear captain, Marakudra, and her subordinates, Pyon and Edo."

"Edo. . ." Zeo buried his nails into the bread.

Arkor nodded, analyzing Zeo's reaction for a moment. "We follow their commands like our supreme law. We live and die for them."

"Edo and Pyon can go fuck themselves," Zeo spat, narrowing his eye.

The whole room fell silent and still, and everyone's eyes turned toward Zeo.

"Azlanin Zeo," Arkor whispered, leaning closer. "I'm in no position to give you any advice, but if my words mean anything to you. Please, try to cooperate with them when necessary. I know our lord captain chose you, but," he glanced at Maria, "her life is too fragile between these walls."

Zeo twisted his lips and gave Maria a sidelong glance. "I'll keep that in mind."

Arkor nodded and stood up. "Enjoy your food, and welcome aboard, Azlanin Zeo."

"Before you go," Zeo raised his voice. "I got a question for you."

Arkor bobbed his head and smiled. "How can I serve you?"

"How did they manage to locate Debrin Kavram's army?"

"Oh, that. . ." Arkor folded his arms and looked left and right, making sure no one heard him. "It seems like the brave warriors of the great Debrin Kavram aren't as loyal as we thought. Someone betrayed him."

"What?" Zeo grimaced, unable to believe his words. "What kind of coward would do that?"

"The information is scarce, Azlanin Zeo, but if what the rumors claim is true, one of his warriors couldn't resist our Lords' offer and sold his leader to The Hunters. It's just a matter of time before the great Debrin Kavram meets his demise."

Zeo buried his nails into his skin, drawing blood, and then glared at Arkor. "Bullshit!" he shouted, standing up and slamming his hands on the table.

"I'm sorry, Azlanin Zeo. That's all I know. Who knows which the real truth is." Arkor bowed to him and walked away.

Zeo dropped back on his seat, gritting his teeth while the veins of his forehead bulged with anger. Maria leaned her hand on Zeo's back and whispered in his ear, "Even if that's true, Debrin Kavram won't fall. I've met that man. If someone can destroy The Hunters, it's him."

Zeo took a deep breath and bobbed his head. "I guess that doesn't matter anymore. That's Rem's battle, not mine."

"You're right." Maria lowered her gaze, refusing to speak further, and focused on her food.

"I also confirmed something," Zeo murmured, contempt invading his face.

"What is it?"

"These people aren't even Hunters. They're just disposable trash."

Maria widened her eyes, holding still a fork before her mouth. "What makes you say that?"

Zeo chuckled bitterly and looked her way. "Am I wrong? They don't even own their own lives. They're pathetic."

"Not long ago, we didn't own our own lives either. . . I still don't."

"All I know is they're worthless." Zeo took the last bite of his sandwich and grabbed his juice bottle to drink. "And I don't give a shit about any of them either, not even Marakudra. I am still the owner of my life."

"Zeo. . . is this really you?" Maria's scanned his face, her pupils flickering. "Are you. . ." Her lips trembled as she tried to say something, but no word dared to come out. She just lowered her face and clenched her fists.

"Now I understand," Zeo murmured, adrenaline rushing through his veins as if a chaotic demon had taken control of his senses. "I needed to lose my eye to be able to see the truth about this fucking world." The melancholy in his heart seemed to vanish, and an unknown feeling of power and bloodlust invaded his brain, making him smile.

"I'm sorry, Maria, but the Zeo you once met is already dead."

*°*°*

Next Chapter: December 3

2