72: Bitter Honey
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zeo

An explosion in the distance shook the ground, and chunks of rock hit Zeo as he advanced through a cold tunnel sunken in absolute darkness. His vectors guided his way and protected Stella, who remained unconscious in his arms, ignorant of the fragility of her life.

After kilometers of restless running, Zeo finally reached the end of the route. Catching his breath, he groped an object obstructing his pass and remembered Ozura's words about a heavy iron door covering the exit. He eased Stella onto the ground, which felt soft with grass and mud, and leaned against the metal structure.

Aided by his vectors, Zeo pushed the door with all his strength, huffing and puffing until a fresh breeze blew through a small opening. The aroma of wildflowers reached his nose, imbued with a sense of freedom. He focused all his energy on the last effort and gave a violent thrust that made the door screech loudly.

A mountain of dirt and rust fell on Zeo, who squinted his eyes and stuck his head out of the hole. Stars flashed above him, revealing an open field with dry vegetation and leafless trees. The town lights glowed on the horizon while gunshots echoed in the distance.

Zeo returned for Stella and took her behind a pile of rocks and rotten trunks near the tunnel's exit. Sitting on the ground, he recovered energy and analyzed his next move. As long as Ozura resisted, The Hunters would be distracted, so he had to move fast. However, a vehicle was necessary.

He scanned his surroundings and spotted the main road on the other side of the field. It was a short sprint for him alone, so the idea of leaving Stella behind invaded his head. Yet, he had vowed to save her along with Kristina, who was still in Ozura's hideout. They don't deserve to die like this, he thought and picked up Stella.

Zeo crossed the arid land, jumping over rocks and thorny bushes while his heart kicked in his chest. When he reached the road, two headlights approaching them in the distance gave him an idea. He held Stella with his vectors and raised his arms, waving at the upcoming vehicle.

A red car stopped on the roadside, and an overweight man walked out. He adjusted his glasses and widened his eyes. "Are you okay? What happened? Is she alive?" he asked, looking at Stella with concern.

"She's still alive," Zeo answered. "But I need to get to the hospital as soon as possible."

"Let's go then!" He rushed to open the backdoor.

"Thanks." Zeo walked forward and took a deep breath, relieved he wouldn't have to coerce an innocent civilian. He placed Stella in the backseat, closed the door, and sat beside the driver.

"What happened?" the man asked, doing a U-turn to return to the town.

"We were hit by a car." Zeo glanced left and right, searching for threats and possible ambushes from the shadows. "They drove away and left us here."

"How terrible! Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine."

The man kept talking, but Zeo didn't care about his words. He had to think fast to succeed and wondered if Ozura would decide to blow up the whole place. Such a large amount of fuel would kill anyone within a one-kilometer radius; even a Nephilim would struggle to survive unless they were fire-resistant like Remnya.

"Old man," Zeo said, gripping the door handle. "Where are you from?"

"I'm from here, District number 76. You know it?"

"I do. I just hope we're not delaying you."

"Oh, don't worry." He chuckled. "I was heading to my farm, but that can wait. This is more important."

"Would you mind passing by the orphanage?" Zeo asked as they reached the main avenue.

"But your friend needs medical attention!"

"You're right."

They stopped at a red light, and Zeo glanced at his surroundings. There were no cars behind.

"Thank you for the help," Zeo murmured, and before the man could answer, he knocked him unconscious with a blow to the back of the head.

He rushed into the driver seat, grabbed the man with his vectors, and dragged him to the sidewalk. He took his phone and dialed the emergency number before returning to the car.

Ignoring the red light, Zeo accelerated and turned left toward his destination. The lampposts passed by him like flashes, capturing his reckless actions, and the few pedestrians he saw seemed to look at him with judgemental eyes. Was he doing the right thing?

It didn't matter anymore.

Zeo crossed the town and reached his destination. He circled the block where the orphanage was and parked behind the building.

Taking a deep breath, he stepped out of the car and stood still, witnessing his last day as a free man. If Arkor spoke truly, Marakudra and her army would meet their demise soon. Besides, Ozura wouldn't be able to resist for long if a Vetzlayer like Zagado was involved in that battle.

"You're fast," a short man walked out of the shadows and stood before him.

Zeo locked his eyes on him as his vectors buzzed loudly.

"Wait!" The man raised his hands. "I'm here by orders of Lieutenant Ozura. My name is Manzur."

"Is that so?" Zeo scowled and used his vectors to detect other presences, but he was the only one there. Then, he remembered Ozura's instructions and lowered his vectors. "So you're her friend."

"More like her loyal servant." He giggled and glanced at the car. "I'll guard this place so you can proceed with your mission. So please, go ahead and get Amy to safety."

Zeo stared at him for a moment and frowned. "How do you know her name?"

"Didn't my lieutenant tell you?"

"No."

"That child is my lady Ozura's daughter."

Zeo's eyes widened like full moons. "What are you saying?"

"It's a long story, and we have no time for that right now, so please," Manzur gestured with his chin at the orphanage, "hurry up."

Zeo nodded, processing the shock of his revelation, and jumped over the orphanage walls evading the barbed wire and sensors that triggered the alarms. He landed inside, rushed to the backdoor, and kicked it open.

As Zeo ran upstairs, he remembered all the orphans were locked in their rooms by midnight, so he would need to force his entrance to Amy's room. However, when he made it there, the door was already open. All he had to do was push it as quietly as possible.

In the darkness, he found Amy sitting on the bed with two bags on each side. She scrutinized his face in judgemental silence. Zeo gritted his teeth with regret, approached his little friend, and kneeled before her. "Why are you awake?" he whispered.

She tilted her head and furrowed her eyebrows. "That spooky old man told me everything."

"What? He did?" Zeo gaped.

Amy nodded and brushed her messy hair with her fingertips. "If you came here so late at night, it means the bad people want me. Right?"

Zeo nodded reluctantly, clawing the mattress with frustration.

Amy pouted and folded her arms. "I didn't want to miss my friend's birthday."

"We'll return soon. I promise." Zeo sat next to her and caressed her head. "Once the bad people are gone, I'll take you to live with me, and we'll come to visit the orphanage every day if you want." He grabbed her hand and forced a smile. "I'll do everything I can for you, Amy. You're my little sister. Do you remember that?"

Amy placed her other hand on his face and touched his eyepatch. "Will we go to see Rem too?"

"Of course! We'll get to hang out with Rem soon." As those words left his mouth, he questioned them. Will he ever be able to see Rem again?

Amy lowered her gaze and squeezed his hand. "Well, you promised you'd come back for me, and you did."

"I'd never break a promise." He stared deeply into her eyes. "Not to you."

Amy looked at him silently for what seemed hours and then nodded. "Okay . . . " Holding back her tears, she wrapped her arms around him tightly. "I trust you, so I'll come with you."

A warm sensation filled Zeo's soul as he hugged her little sister back and brushed her soft hair. "Thank you," he whispered, squeezing her tender body.

You're my last reason to live.

*°*°*

Zeo sat on a bench in the courtyard while Amy packed all her belongings and said goodbye to her friends.

Silence lingered in the orphanage, but the kids' voices still echoed in those ancient walls, along with faint waves of memories from the past. All those years of survival had forged his persona and led to the moment he contemplated in the present.

Nonetheless, a new opportunity seemed to arise for someone who had lost all hope.

As Zeo closed his eyes and pondered his choice, his vectors perceived a presence nearby.

"Sneaking into the girls' dorms at night, uh?" someone said from the hallway.

Zeo turned to see Gina walking in his direction, and conflicting emotions filled his heart. Part of him felt relieved she wouldn't be involved with a monster like himself. Yet, his egoistical self hated that fate.

He wondered if life had just written it that way.

"Of course not," he replied. "Why are you awake, though?"

"I drank too much water." Gina shrugged, stopping in front of him. "And I stole that old fart's keys a while ago." She smirked, displaying a key chain.

Zeo shook his head and stood up. "You shouldn't be here."

"That weird old man told me the same."

"That guy doesn't know when to shut up," he murmured.

"It seems like you can never catch a break."

Zeo shrugged. "So, you already know why I am here?"

"I can tell by the bruises on your face." Gina leaned closer, touched his swollen cheek, and wiped a line of blood that spilled from the side of his mouth. "Are you okay?"

"Don't worry about it." Zeo removed the blood with his backhand.

"Those people hurt you again." She grabbed his face between her hands.

Even though Zeo wanted to pull away from her, a warm sensation in his body stopped him. He locked his eyes on her and spoke. "What people?"

Gina scowled and pinched his cheeks. "You don't have to hide it from me anymore, Zeo! I know enough." She sighed, sadness glistening in her eyes. "I know you're trying to protect Amy. You can trust me. I won't judge you for anything you do."

"Gina . . . " Zeo lowered his gaze and grabbed her hands, disengaging them from his face. "I need you to be safe too."

"The old lady said I should stay away from you too."

"Why are you here then?"

"Why wouldn't I?" She glared at him. "Do you think I have anything left in this awful place? I'll be seventeen soon! Once that happens, I'll be kicked out of here. You know how things work, don't you?"

Zeo bit his lower lip and nodded. When orphans turned seventeen, they were given a six-month trial to be adopted. Otherwise, they were emancipated and banished from the orphanage with a three-month minimum salary to survive. Since survival chances were scarce in the real world, most orphans went down the wrong path. Only a few would reach adulthood, and those who survived would go through hell.

"I got no family nor a chance to be adopted anymore. How do you think I'll survive out there?" She laughed sarcastically, and her eyes revealed anger and frustration.

Zeo just stared at her, unable to find the right words.

"I got nothing to lose, and I don't expect my life to be long either." She forced a smile and squeezed his hands. "I like you, Zeo, and I just wanted to let you know that."

Zeo widened his eyes and hesitated, trying to say something but couldn't. He froze with his eyes locked on hers while his heart raced in his chest.

"Your face is red," Gina said, holding back her laughter.

"What? Is it?" Zeo looked away, scowled, and released her hands.

"You've not changed that much, after all." She giggled.

"I'm not used to these things." Zeo pursed his lips and folded his arms, looking toward the sky.

"Don't worry. I don't expect anything from you, anyway." Gina shrugged and stood next to him, staring at the stars. "After all, your girlfriend is waiting for you out there."

"Who?" He gave her a sidelong glance.

"Duh!" She rolled her eyes. "Remnya, who else?"

"We're just friends."

"Yeah, right. You were always after her back then. The two of you, always together." There was a hint of anger in her voice. "You looked at her with admiration while you looked at me with fear and disgust." Her hands trembled as she clenched her fists. "I don't blame you for it, though. I am too dumb to approach a boy without scaring him away."

"You're wrong." Zeo raised his voice and turned to her. "Remnya and I will always be close, but . . . " He hesitated for a moment, wondering if speaking further was wise. Nonetheless, his mouth didn't wait for his conclusion. "Remnya and I have chosen different paths. I love her, yeah. She's my best friend." He sighed. "But we'll never be together. Life has separated us definitely."

Gina stared at him momentarily, and her lips hesitated to speak. "What does that mean, Zeo?" She frowned. "Don't lie to me!"

"I am not lying." Zeo scowled and leaned closer. "I don't even know if I'll be alive tomorrow. A war is coming, and I am willing to die protecting Amy." He grabbed her hands tightly and stared at her surprised face fearlessly. "However, If I survive. If I manage to save my friend and earn my freedom." He gulped. "I'll come back for you."

Gina froze and blinked in shock while a gentle breeze caressed her hair.

"Zeo . . . " Gina smiled, her teeth sparkling under the stars. "Is that a promise?"

"Yes." Zeo nodded while his brain called him a fool over and over. But he didn't care about it anymore. He was tired of running away. "I promise that if I survive, I'll return for you."

Gina darted at him and wrapped her arms around his torso, squeezing him tightly. Zeo's face turned red as he felt her warm body rubbing against his. The heat seemed to burn his skin, and her perfume filled his nose as his heartbeats resounded in his brain.

"I will wait for you," Gina whispered in his ear, her voice cracking, and tears soaked his shoulder. At that moment, he realized how much those silly words meant to her.

Zeo hugged her back and allowed himself to relish her warmth and forget the chaos for an ephemeral moment, a moment that seemed to heal part of his soul.

They remained together for a long minute and then stared at each other. Gina blushed and wiped her tears with the back of her hand, and Zeo stared at her, knowing he had to survive. Not only for Amy and Rem. For Gina too.

. . .

"What's going on with you two now?" Amy said from the hallway, holding two huge bags in each hand.

"Nothing. NOTHING." Zeo rushed to grab her bags and smiled awkwardly. "We were just talking."

Amy raised one eyebrow and gave him a suspicious glance. "Talking about what?"

"About what we'll do when he returns," Gina interrupted, smiling and patting Amy's head like a dog. "You lil shit do not need to worry about that."

"Shut up!" Amy slapped her hand away. "I don't know what you two are plotting, but I'll find out soon!"

Zeo stifled a chuckle but quickly realized the peace was over. It was time to face reality. He narrowed his eyes and spoke firmly. "Okay. It's time to go, Amy."

Amy bobbed her head and turned to Gina, who opened her arms, trying to hug her. "I'll see you later, clown face," Amy said, sticking out her tongue at her before bolting toward the backdoor.

Gina's jaw dropped. "That rude brat!" she shouted, slamming her feet on the floor. "That's it! I won't even have to miss that little demon now!"

Zeo shook his head and walked up to Gina. "I'll lecture her about that."

"It's okay. I'm used to it." Gina smiled and stood in front of him. "Well, I guess it's time to say goodbye again."

He nodded. "Please, stay safe."

"You too." She leaned closer and spoke softly, "I know I only got to see you for one day, but . . . it was great. I'm really going to miss you."

Zeo leaned closer too. "I'm confident everything will be over soon."

"I'll plan a lot of things to do together when you come back . . . " Gina wrapped her arms around him tightly as if refusing to let him go. "I'll see you soon, Zeo," she whispered, suddenly kissing his cheek.

Zeo froze and could only breathe in her perfume. "I'll see you soon, Gina," he murmured as she released him, turned away to hide her tears, and ran away.

*°*°*

1