78: Eclipse
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zeo

Zeo awoke in a room surrounded by steel walls and red neon lights that burned his vision. It was cold with the scent of dust and rust, embracing him into a new calvary. Memories of Ozura's final moments echoed in his mind, accompanied by the lingering metallic taste, a stark reminder of his defeat. His left arm remained numb, and his vectors lay dormant, but the rest of his body had recovered.

A plate of food lay on the floor, inviting him to satiate his hunger. Zeo took it between his hands and observed a scant portion of orange puree and a boiled egg. He ate without a second thought and then sat still, feeling the pressure of silence.

Time crawled by until the cage door opened, emitting an electric buzz reverberating with loud clangs. A rush of cold wind swept in, and a familiar figure walked forward, his boots heavy, resonating in his ears.

"You?" Zeo murmured, seeing his old enemy before him: Edo. The man wore a blue and white uniform, a typical attire for a private soldier, unworthy of a pure Nephilim warrior.

"Why did you return?" Edo asked, frustration reflecting in his eyes.

"I had a mission here." Zeo shrugged. "Besides, living like a fugitive doesn't appeal to me."

"You're stupid." He shook his head with disdain. "Marakudra gave you a chance, and you threw it away."

"Did I?" He narrowed his eyes. "I saved my friend. That's all that matters."

"Yeah, and it turns out that orphan you helped escape is way more valuable than everyone thought."

"What do you mean?" Zeo feigned ignorance.

Edo hissed. "When they sent you on that mission, they didn't know who that child truly was, but recent DNA tests have confirmed their suspicions."

"DNA tests?"

"They keep blood samples of every potential recruit, and she is no exception." Edo took a deep breath and folded his arms. "That child is the daughter of our commander and executioner, Virgil Alzer."

Zeo's eye widened, recognizing the name but never having seen the face of that monster. "That piece of shit is her father?" He spoke with disgust.

"Listen, fool." Edo squatted before him, his gaze penetrating his soul. "You were lucky Marakudra saved your pitiful self, but things have changed. You're no longer useful to them. You are but a mere slave now, worthless." He tightened his lips. "Take it from me. If you appreciate your life, start cooperating with them."

Silence.

"What happened to Marakudra?" Zeo shifted the focus, diverting from his harsh reality.

"She'll suffer the same fate as you." He spat on the floor. "Can't say I'm not enjoying the thought."

"And what about you?"

Edo chuckled, a bitter edge to his tone. "Can't you see me? I lost my rank. Our whole damn army got demoted. We, the top dogs, are now assigned to humiliating roles. The rest? Reduced to slaves, or worse. All thanks to Marakudra's idiotic decisions. She doomed us all!" He punched the wall, crushing the metal as an echo filled the room. "From the beginning, I knew this would happen. She's always been an incompetent bitch."

Zeo processed his words, jaw clenching. "Where is she now?"

"In another cell, getting what she deserves, so is her pet, Pyon."

"You're not locked in a cage, though. And they're suffering. You should be happy."

"Her suffering is irrelevant to me." Edo stood up, stretching his neck from side to side. "After all, every one of us will pay for her mistakes sooner or later."

Zeo bobbed his head. "Thanks for telling me."

Edo looked at him, teeth bared. "I still can't believe you were so fucking stupid. You have no idea what kind of monster Virgil Alzer is."

"I'm not worried about him." Zeo closed his eye and rested his head against the cold metal wall. "I'm ready for anything."

"Because you don't know him," Edo whispered, his voice cold and tired as he walked out of the cell and gave Zeo a pitiful look while the door closed.

A loud clang echoed in Zeo's ears, followed by silence and a heavy aura that lingered around him with the weight of uncertainty. He wondered why Marakudra hadn't deserted as planned. Her actions seemed as unreasonable as his own. What was holding her back?

More questions than answers plagued Zeo's thoughts as he closed his lone eye and tried to alienate himself from reality. His fate seemed sealed; there was no escaping the will of his tormentors. Nevertheless, knowing Amy was far from their claws helped ease his heart.

On a freezing day, Edo returned without uttering a word. Zeo understood the reason for his premature arrival. He stood and shook the dust off his torn clothes. The collar around his neck emitted a loud beep and vibrated as the red light atop the doorframe turned blue.

Zeo walked out of his cell, and Edo pushed him to walk in front of him. The fact that Edo hadn't restrained his limbs or used anesthetics on his body meant he knew his vectors were dormant, or perhaps he trusted that collar with his life.

Metal doors with numbers lined the corridor, and cockroaches scurried before Zeo's bare feet. The stench of fecal matter emanated from some cells, mixed with the lingering humidity in the air, created a dense atmosphere that enveloped Zeo as he strode toward his next challenge.

A gelid gush of wind brushed against his skin as a large gate opened, and the reek of putrefaction filled his nostrils. On the other side unfolded a vast enclosed arena, illuminated by red and white floodlights towering over them like metal giants. A thin mist clung to the cracked concrete ground, sending a chill through Zeo's feet and legs.

Edo pushed him forward, and with each step, the reek of death intensified. Zeo glimpsed a few skeletons piled up nearby and a crawling torso with half of its body missing, begging for mercy.

The gleam of a throne-like chair perched on a steel platform compelled Zeo to lift his gaze. There, a man loomed over them. A surge of disgust filled Zeo's chest as an oppressive presence penetrated his soul.

"Great Virgil, I present you with the prisoner, Azlanin Zeo," Edo declared as he dropped to his knees and bowed like a slave.

A silver skull mask covered the face of a man clad in a pitch-black uniform with a snake emblem on his shoulder. His purple hair spilled over his shoulders, and within the hollow eye sockets of his disguise, two orbs glowed in eerie green. Zeo recognized his rotten energy, a haunting echo of an unforgettable memory. Even though his heart was calm, his knees trembled, and sweat prickled his skin.

Virgil eased from his chair, revealing a long Nephilim tail. His body ascended, defying gravity like a specter of death, and landed before them. The air shifted, becoming thick and oppressive, carrying an elusive scent that hinted at burnt flesh and molten metal. Was this monster truly Amy's father?

"Leave," he ordered, his voice low and soothing. Edo bowed and departed immediately. The man's gaze shifted to Zeo, laden with the weight of countless deaths. "So, you're my daughter's ally."

Zeo widened his eye and swallowed, trying to compose himself. "Your daughter?" He clenched his fists.

Virgil made a pause before speaking again. "Azlanin Zeo, your actions have led to the abduction of my daughter by Karx."

He gathered the strength to speak without a care for his life. "Since when do you care about her? She was abandoned in an orphanage!" His words left his mouth with anger and frustration.

Silence.

Virgil seized his mask, its sharp claws long and black, and pulled it away from his face.

Zeo's pupil dilated, confronted with the true appearance of the monster before him. His heart recoiled at the realization that Amy shared the same tainted blood.

Nonetheless, the resemblance hit his soul like a punch. His lime-green pupils were an eerie replica of the innocent eyes of his friend. His hair color and even the shape of his horns reminded him of her. Zeo stepped backward and grimaced, refusing to accept that sight.

"Her mother hid her existence from me," Virgil spoke, devoid of emotions. "Yet, upon learning of her, I returned. Unfortunately, she was already gone." He tilted his head and stared into Zeo's insides. "Due to her mother's interference, the blood of my blood is far from where she belongs."

"She doesn't belong with you." Zeo gritted his teeth.

"Is that so?" Virgil circled Zeo like a lion stalking his prey. "She's a Nephilim. Her blood is my blood. Sooner or later, her true nature will awaken, and the world will regret it."

Zeo took a deep breath, regaining control over his body. "What do you want from me? No matter what you say or do, I won't tell you anything."

"I am aware of that." He halted in front of him and leaned in. Deep scars crisscrossed his face like a spider web, and most of his nose and ears were missing. "I don't need you to tell me anything. I already know where she is."

Cold shivers ran down Zeo's spine. "What do you mean?"

"Manzur Faradh ran away with my daughter. He's hiding her in a village within the Kingdom of Rexton."

Zeo's jaw dropped while his heart kicked against his chest. "That's . . . not possible."

Virgil smiled, displaying his yellow fangs. "It's just a matter of time before my daughter returns to me."

"Nonsense!" Zeo shouted, narrowing his eyes. "You're just bluffing now!"

"If that's what you want to believe." Virgil turned his back to him and raised his right arm. Teal electric arcs formed around his fingers, and his hair raised as electricity filled the room. "Do you want to know something else?"

"Uh?" He took one step back.

"Remnya Scheduna is coming for you." Virgil turned to him.

"What?" Zeo widened his eye, and before he could process his words, Virgil grabbed his throat, shattering his collar, and an electric shock surged through his body, making him groan in pain.

As he struggled to breathe and break free, the monster released him, dropping him on the ground. "Don't worry. All I did was reactivate your Anlas receptors."

Coughing, Zeo rose from the ground, attempting to retaliate, but quickly realized Virgil spoke the truth. His vectors emerged from his face, hovering around him, pulsating with sparks of green energy.

Virgil twisted his lips into a deformed smirk, his fangs shining. "You, Anglishes, are an interesting species. I've always been fascinated by your vectors and regeneration skills."

Zeo furrowed his eyebrows as his spectral arms vanished. No matter how much he desired to destroy him, that was beyond his possibilities. He had to conserve energy. "Tell me . . . " He took a deep breath, clutching his neck. "What do you mean by Remnya is coming for me?"

Virgil crossed his arms, observing Zeo's fatigued figure. "I've encountered your Nephilim friend. She now belongs to Debrin Kavram, a pitiful yet understandable circumstance. I saw the potential in her; she's no ordinary creature. That's why I allowed her to live."

A cold shiver traveled down Zeo's back as he clenched his fists. "She has no reason to come for me."

"Oh, but she will." A sick smile drew across his unreadable face. "Not only because of you, but also because I gave her a reason to come for me."

His words made Zeo understand his sinister intentions, and his blood began to boil in his veins. "You fucking bastard . . . WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?" He took a step forward, raising his fist.

"I got rid of the useless burdens she carried with herself."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?"

"I eliminated every living creature surrounding her. However, she seemed the most appalled about this particular creature."

The world froze around Zeo as his words slowly penetrated his mind. "Did you . . . " He didn't dare to finish his questions, his heart racing with despair.

"Yeah. There was this female human carrying the spawn of Ronner Kavalar in her insides." Virgil shrugged. "Naturally, I had to get rid of both."

. . .

As if a volcano had erupted in his chest, a torrent of hatred surged through Zeo's body, propelling him forward with unrestrained fury.

His vectors exploded around him, and a powerful punch landed on Virgil's jaw, carrying not only his fury but also the weight of Remnya's tears.

A shockwave rippled through the arena, propelling his enemy against a concrete wall. His body crashed through the unyielding surface, disappearing under tons of rubble, steel, and rock.

Zeo's fist trembled and smoked, glowing intensely. "YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!" he roared, veins bulging in his head.

His vectors buzzed like enraged hornets, hurtling toward the breach in the wall, eager to locate Virgil's body and destroy it.

Blinded by anger, Zeo unleashed a relentless assault, aiming to pierce his enemy. The wall crumbled, rocks melting as his energy intensified. Sparks and lightning enveloped the entire area, Zeo's eye shining in a blinding emerald green.

"Don't waste your energy." Virgil emerged from behind Zeo. As he turned to face his enemy, the monster delivered a brutal sidekick that broke his jaw and sent him crashing into a column.

Struggling to rise, aided by his vectors, Zeo found his arms and legs restrained. Rings of teal energy encircled his wrists and ankles, searing his skin. His vectors attacked Virgil only to disintegrate in the face of the massive energy emanating from his body. An odious aura that burned Zeo, filling his nostrils with the smell of burnt flesh.

Virgil Alzer loomed over him, the side of his face reddened from the punch, a trickle of blood rolling down the side of his mouth. "I see you both share the same reckless behavior. Lack of self-control and an inclination toward the most primal emotions. This is why you're destined to be a slave your whole life, Azlanin Zeo."

"Go fuck yourself!" Zeo spat, ignoring the pain in his jaw, giving Virgil a death glare. He wished he could tear the monster apart with his bare hands. "You will pay for what you did, you hear me? YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!"

The monster stifled a chuckle. "I'm looking forward to the day she comes for me."

Zeo wanted to spit out all his insults but realized it would be futile, a waste of time and energy. His anger would change nothing, neither for him nor Remnya. He bit his tongue and took a deep breath, seeking to appease the anger in his heart. "Why am I still alive?" he asked, swallowing the blood in his mouth along with his hatred. "Why don't you end me once and for all?"

"For starters, I adhere to the orders of the Great Zagado, but I also have my own reasons." He folded his arms, and the energy rings around Zeo's limbs disappeared. "Besides, Remnya Scheduna will want to see you alive."

"What makes you think she will come?" Zeo sat, drenched in sweat, panting, the pain in his jaw incessantly pounding in his head. "She doesn't even know if I am still alive."

"She will come. That is a certainty." Virgil cracked his knuckles and then wiped the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. "The true question is, will you survive until then?"

His question left him speechless, devoid of answers. Zeo knew Remnya wouldn't give up on him. No matter what, it wasn't in her to abandon her principles. She wasn't a coward like himself. Rem would come.

Zeo's fists clenched, and he lowered his gaze, the weight of realization settling on his shoulders. "Can you, at least, tell me what the hell you want from me?"

"I want you to stay alive, Azlanin Zeo," Virgil replied, a nonchalant shrug accompanying his words. "That's all."

The sincerity in the monster's voice made his skin crawl. If the rumors held true, Virgil Alzer had already discerned his weaknesses and would exploit them to turn his life into hell. Keeping him alive would give him plenty of chances to make him miserable.

"I don't care what you do." Zeo declared, rising to his feet and meeting Virgil's perverse gaze head-on. "But know that I'll never help you hurt my friends. Even if I need to die to protect them."

Virgil's response was a chilling smile, his pupils glowing with a disturbing green radiance. The monstrous figure turned his back on Zeo, ascending into the air until he vanished into the thick fog veiling the arena.

Zeo stood there, drained of energy and the will to fight. The thought of Remnya's suffering fueled his anger and regret. His soul cried, yet his body stood like solid steel, refusing to break. Even if the world conspired against his existence, he had to resist.

He knew, with unwavering certainty, that Remnya would come. Sooner or later. There was no doubt anymore. She would come to retrieve either his broken body or his rotting corpse, but she would come.

Rem.

Until that day, Zeo resolved to keep fighting—for Remnya, for Amy, and for the childish promise of a day when they could stand together again.

*°*°*

1