Chapter 8: Rivals
194 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8
Rivals

~*~

Cassis and I head west along the Aniraco Plains. The region becomes denser and denser with vegetation, wrapping around the perpetual mountain ranges to the north and south. Yet another peculiarity about Zephyria is that we're able to walk right through patches of bushes and trees. The battle scenes differ based on the terrain, but it's always one of three: at the foot of a mountain, in the plains with the odd tree or two, or in a forested area. Going from place to place would normally take months, but in this world, it's a matter of hours. The biggest difference is that I never get exhausted.

After some easily won battles against Bunnies and giant Grasshoppers, I reach Level 7. I use my energy to increase my intelligence. Yet with 36 SP, I can only cast Heal seven times. The shops in Eppery and Fiddles didn't have anything to boost SP. To restore those points, I can use a Shiny Stone, but those are expensive and rare to come by. It looks like the only way to replenish SP is to rest at an inn or use a tent. Hopefully once we get to Moaning, there'll be some accessories I can buy to help with the inadequacy.

The ground begins to fade from a lush green to yellow to dirt brown, marking the beginning of a new region. A new tune like something out of a western replaces the soothing ocarina music I've grown accustomed to hearing. And then as expected, we're attacked.

* BATTLE START *


A Dirtier Man with an unsightly tan greets us with the creepiest smile. He hurls a couple balls of dirt at me and another two at Cassis.

-23 HP
-28 HP
-11 HP
-10 HP

It feels as if I've been hit my paint balls.

Cassis brushes the dirt off her armor and go in with a Wallop.

The monster groans.

-146 HP

Its health bar drains to black, but it still lives.

"Finish it off," Cassis tells me.

I nod and dash forward, ignoring how ridiculous I must look wielding a staff almost my size. With one swift whack, I obliterate the dirtier man into millions of orange pixels.

-5 HP

A satisfying tune plays.

I swing my staff around like I was Gandalf.

"Nothing to it!" Cassis shouts.

You gained 50 EXP!
Cassis gained 50 EXP!
You found 25 Gold!
You found Dirt x 1!

* BATTLE END *

Up ahead, the northern and southern mountains start to converge. A gray wall connects the two, prevent further travel to the west. Behind it, structures of various sizes pop into view. It doesn't take me long to figure out that it's the mining village Cassis was talking about.

We enter Moaning to the tune of a slow-paced punk piece. Metal clanking and drill-like effects make up the background noise. The wall we saw turns out to be some sort of gate, and several guards are on patrol. A bunch of odd-looking personalities are lined up, waiting anxiously to pass through.

"Purpose?" the guard by the entrance asks the woman at the front of the line.

"I'm visiting my aunt in Lickfast," she replies.

The guard nods and gestures for her to past, then continues with the next person.

"I want to join the monk's guild in Shalarron."

"I'm on a quest to find the Zephyrion Sword."

It seems that those who wish to pass must disclose their reasons for traveling to the Wildlands. Several people breeze by without much hassle. When it's our turn, the guard asks, "Purpose of travel?"

"We're also looking for the Zephyrion Sword," Cassis answers for us.

He eyes us up and down and draws a conclusion. "You're too weak. I can't let you pass."

"What? You're wrong." The look on her face is one I've never seen before.

Ignoring us, the guard carries on with his job. "Next."

The person behind us pushes past, and after a quick chat with the authorities, he too is let through.

"How dare you!" Cassis draws her sword. "Do you know who I am? Let me pass this instant!"

"I don't care who you are, but if you don't stop pointing that thing at me, I'm going to give you a good beating, girl or not."

The two stare each other down for a several seconds, then suddenly, the world spins. I find myself caught in a battle between Cassis and the guard.

* BATTLE START *


"Alright, you asked for it!" he shouts.

A black-hilt, silver-blade sword appears between his hands. The guard leaps into the air and swings his weapon back and forth like a mad man. "Sword Storm!"

Waves of energy cut through the air, slicing at our bodies from every angle.

I cringe at the pain, feeling as if my limbs have been half-severed.

-33 HP
-23 HP
-34 HP
-29 HP
-31 HP

Cassis with her strong defense still suffers a lot of damage, the most I've seen any enemy inflict on her in one attack.

-18 HP
-19 HP
-21 HP
-16 HP
-24 HP

But she doesn't back down. Her body launches like a rocket, ready to explode on her target. "Double Slash!" she yells, bringing her sword down once, then again for a second blow. Though her special attack does a good deal of damage, it only puts a small dent in the guard's health.

-55 HP
-48 HP

It's my turn, and I take time to think. For once I actually appreciate the turn-based battle system. But no matter how many times I play through each strategy, I don't see us surviving. The guard is simply too strong.

"Heal me," Cassis says.

Not wanting to find out what will happen if my health drops to zero, I decide to heal myself instead.

+101 HP

"Ugh, what are you doing?"

The guard targets me with a Wallop, easily knocking off the rest of my HP.

-277 HP

I fall to the ground. The world tilts sideways and comes to a halt.

Am I dead?

"Get up, dammit!" I see Cassis scream. She lunges at the guard with a regular attack.

I try to move, but my body is completely paralyzed.

The guard attacks her with Double Slash, taking 185 points off her health. "Give it up. You're too weak."

Even with half her HP gone, Cassis doesn't give up. "Shut up and fight." She counters with another Double Slash.

-98 HP

The battle continues for several more rounds. By now, Cassis has used up all her potions. The guard's health is only half depleted, while hers is at a dangerous low.

"Time to finish you off," he announces and dashes towards her.

Cassis braces for the attack, but I doubt she's going to survive.

Time seems to stop.

A gold flash cuts across my field of view.

The guard's sword flies from his hand and lands on the ground.

Before I can guess what has happened, the battle scene fades out, and the village reappears.


* BATTLE END *

A man in gold armor and a red cape struts forth, his chest almost as high as his shoulders.

"Prince Magnus!" the guard says, realizing who his opponent is. "I didn't mean to clash swords with you. Please forgive me."

The mention of the prince's name draws the attention of the crowd.

"Is that really him?"

"I hear he's going to be the next Paladin."

"He's even taller than what the rumors say."

Prince Magnus seems pleased with the overt remarks. He approaches Cassis, but she turns her body away. "Your friend doesn't look very comfortable on the ground over there." He hands her a vial, to which she begrudgingly accepts. Then, he turns his attention back to the guard. "You imbecile. Do you not know who this girl is? How dare you attack her!"

So this is the guy she hates. A former lover?

"I don't need your help," Cassis is quick to say. She leans over my body and splashes the contents of the vial onto my face.

The thin liquid seeps into a my eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. I inhale deep, absorbing the mystical energy entering me. My body buoys, lifted upwards by some invisible force. The goddess' name lingers in my mind. My health is completely restored.

"But Sire," the guard says, "she doesn't meet the minimum requirement to survive the Wildlands."

Prince Magnus remains cool and in control. "I'm only going to say this once, so listen carefully. Let her and her little friend pass, now."

"Y-Yes, of course." The guard moves aside to let Cassis and me through the gate.

The others in line behind us remain mute, not ready to question the prince's intentions.

Cassis's face is seething red, probably annoyed that she had to be helped by this man. "What are you trying to pull, Magnus?"

"Little sister, why the hostility? I just did you a favor."

"The word 'favor' is not in your vocabulary."

"Call it what you will. I was merely offering a gesture of kindness. One good deed a day, right?"

"You're not fooling anyone."

"Not even a 'thank you?' What an ungrateful little brat you are."

I now understand why she despises him so much. He's an arrogant prick, the kind of brother who picks on his younger sibling for the mere pleasure of seeing her squirm. It dawns on me that Cassis is a princess.

"Come on, let's go," she says to me.

Cassis takes the higher ground and ignores her brother.

And so we make our way into Moaning without anymore hassle.

"Father wants you home." Magnus doesn't follow us. He stands still, biting his lips. "Try not to die out there!"

~*~

What do you guys think of Magnus?

10