Chapter 22: Childhood Friends
95 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22
Childhood Friends

~*~

Situated at the base of Mount Asentus, the town of Kamaraka boasts some impressive stone pillars that rise to over a thousand feet. Carved into each pillar are intricate floral patterns that spiral endlessly upwards. At their base, what look to be text of an ancient language circle the giant obelisks.

I walk around one of them, running my hands across the cold cement surface.

Elric does the same. "Now where was it..." His hands trace each detail, seemingly searching the pillar for something. A few seconds later, his eyes light up. "E plus T equals heart. It's still here."

So, some kids vandalized an arguably impressive piece of art just to memorialize their love. I have a look at the engravings for myself. The offensive text blends in rather well and could be mistaken as part of the other parts. I look at Elric and shake my head.

"What?" he says. "We were in love. We're still in love. She just doesn't know it."

At that moment, a young man in worn-out clothes pushes pass me and grabs Elric by the collar of his shirt. "You!"

Elric stands still, confused. Then, a smile forms on his face. "Jorry! Tell me I'm dreaming. I thought they'd locked you up for life. What are you doing here? Gosh, how many years has it been?"

"Three," the thief's friend says. "Long story short, I struck a deal with the devil, and now I'm a free man."

"What do you mean? And where's Ayla? Is she alright?"

Jorry's expression turns grim. "She's dead."

Elric tears up and gives his friend a hug. "Dammit!"

It looks like there's some sort of history between the two. Partners in crime, perhaps. I suppose it'll become a crucial part of the game.

"Old partners in crime?" Oren says.

Jorry takes a moment to pull himself together and then shifts his attention to me and Oren. "These two with you?"

"New recruits," Elric answers. "Showing them the ropes."

"A monk and a priest...interesting."

"Not really."

"Hey, listen," Jorry begins, "I'd love to catch up but I've got some errands to run. Why don't you stop by the tavern tonight and we'll talk over drinks?"

Without consulting us, Elric replies, "Sure thing."

The friend waves a hand to one side and leaves.

"Strange fellow, that one," Oren remarks.

"Never thought I'd see him again..." Elric says, but he doesn't offer any more information. "Anyways, uh, bye."

Elric leaves the party!

And with that, he disappears from sight.

We continue walking around. At the base of a pillar, a group of what look to be tourists are gazing up in awe at the monstrosity. If this were real life, they'd be taking pictures, but fortunately that technology doesn't exist in this world.

"What's at the top of the pillars?" someone asks.

The tour guide smiles and replies, "No one knows for sure. Gold, ancient relics, a portal to another world, who knows."

He's the same guy from the ship! I wonder how he managed to escape the incident.

Oren seems to read my mind. "I saw him jump into the waters before we got sucked into the black hole. He probably knows how to Swim."

The talk about the pillars continues.

"But, the going theory is that the legendary bird, Falcorn, has built a nest atop one of the pillars."

Right on cue, the shrill of a large bird ring through the sky. Everyone turn their heads upwards to try to catch sight of the mythical creature.

I follow suit but don't see anything.

The tour guide continues, "Unless you can fly, there's no way to get up there."

"Why don't you just cut it down?"

"Or Push it down?"

"Blasphemous!" the guide says. "Then I'd be out of a job."

The group breaks out in hahas.

"Alright, that's it for today. Tomorrow, we head to the Kamaraka Tombs to learn about the Marakans, their culture, their language, and most intriguing of all, their instruments of pleasure."

The group disperses.

"Instruments of pleasure, huh..." Oren ponders.

I, too, am curious. Perhaps a trip to the tombs is in order.

We continue to explore Kamaraka. Though the streets were lively, the few number of wooden houses suggests that most of the people are travelers. I quickly learn that the town is an oft-crossed stop point on the way to Asentus. Every class is represented, from the stereotypically gregarious knights to the reticent thieves. The presence of other monks seem to make Oren uneasy and he makes every effort not to be seen by his peers.

"I'm going to head to the tavern," Oren tells me. "Join me once you're done exploring."

He leaves me and disappears into the tavern nearby.

I check the town for chests, but don't find anything. The NPCs don't seem to find me a nuisance and ignore my attempts to talk to them. At one of the shops, I purchase the Bless Scroll and learn the skill.

As day turns to night almost in an instant, I make my way to the tavern to join Oren and Elric. Passing by a tree, someone stops me.

"Greetings, friend." A shabbily-dressed man emerges from the shadows and waves at me. A contrived grin forms on his face.

I wave him away, not wanting to interact with the nuisance I suspect he will turn out to be.

"I mean you no harm," the man shakes hands, as he approaches closer.

I swing my staff, ready to give the homeless guy a good beating should it come to that.

"Ah, you're the kind of priest I'm looking for."

I stand still, confused, waiting for an explanation.

"Would you look to join a guild?" he asks.

I know the downsides of being in a guild. I shake my head.

"The guild is run by a powerful high priest named Dracomar. He knows every spell available to the priest class and has developed new skills never before seen in public. Join the guild, and you'll have the opportunity to learn these unique skills. So, what's your answer?"

I shake my head again, continuing to show disinterest to what he has to say.

"The guild offers support to its members. Free items and free gear. Unlimited sign-outs, support quests, and membership allows priority access to various sponsored locations across Zephyria. There's no reason not to join. What do you say?"

I give him the bad news one more time with a flick of the hand.

"Is that so? You will turn down a once-in-a-lifetime offer?"

I nod.

"You are not thinking this through. I see that you're around level 15, yet you don't exude the typical aura that a priest at your level should exude. I would bet my reputation that you don't even know Bless, am I wrong? Tell me I'm wrong and I won't speak of this amazing offer again."

I make an X sign with my arms.

"Oh, so you do know Bless. I was just testing. In any case, we aren't accepting new members for long. You'd better seize the opportunity before it disappears."

I suppose there's no harm in joining another guild, if it means he would stop pestering me. Seeing no other way out of the predicament, I give in and nod.

"Excellent. I knew my eyes did not deceive me. You'll be an excellent addition to my guild. However, there are requirements to joining."

Requirements? I start to walk away, not wanting any part of it.

"Nuh uh uh, you can't change your mind now. To join my guild, you'll need to complete a quest."

He hands be a ream of papers.

You found Guild Fliers x 50!

"You will travel the world on my behalf and spread word of the guild to fifty promising individuals."

In other words, he wants me to advertise for him. I feel like I've been tricked.

"Everyone in Kamaraka has already seen my fliers, so you'll have to travel to other towns and hand them out. May I suggest Eppery or Fiddles? It's not an easy task, I know. I've imbued magic in every sheet to track their movements. If you throw them away or burn them, I will know. Any questions?"

I shake my head.

"Good. Once you've completed your quest, come find me here. I will then initiate you into my guild. May Asharia or whoever be with you. Good night."

New Quest: Hand out 50 Guild Fliers for Dracomar!

And with that, he disappears behind a tree.

At the tavern, I see Elric and Oren seated with Jorry. They're already deep in conversation about various things. I take a seat next to them.

"So, you guys are heading to Asentus..." Jorry says.

"They are," Elric tells him, referring to Oren and me. "I'm going to the Kamaraka Tombs."

"Treasure hunting, I assume?"

Elric nods. "Once I find Bunny Shoes for Tillis, she'll come back to me."

I can't believe he thinks he still has a chance. Once a girl has made up her mind, it's final. Nothing you can do.

"I still think about Ayla..."

"Jorry, I'm sorry. You know, if you ever want to join..." Elric scans the tavern and seems to choose his words carefully,"us again, just let me know. I'll put in a good word for you."

Jorry dismisses Elric's offer. "I'm a pacifist now, a Peacemaker with no affiliation, which is what I prefer."

"Alright, alright."

"How did you come to be free?" Oren asks. "King Triton is not a man to pardon...criminals, so to speak."

Jorry sighs. His eyes wander around the room but not particularly looking at anything. "I grew sick after Ayla passed. The king took pity on me, I guess. Swore I'd never associate with the Champions of Freespeech again in return for freedom. To be honest, I shouldn't even be talking to you guys right now."

I see two knights enter the door. They plop down at the table next to ours and call to the beckons the waitress. As they wait, they cast glances at the other travelers, eventually stopping at us. A feeling of deja vu kicks in.

Oren locks eyes with the two knights who, as we speak, are already on their feet making their way over to us.

"Monk!" on of them shouts.

"You have a talent for stating the obvious, don't you?" Oren says.

"You guys know each other?" Elric asks.

It dawns on me that they're the knights we met, fought, and embarrassed back in Moaning. Well, two of the three.

"Where's the fat one?" the monk asks, not holding back on the insults. He leans back and takes a sip from his glass.

Does he have another death wish?

The knight in blue armor slaps the glass out of Oren's hand and grabs him by the collar of collar. "Why, you...our friend is dead!"

Oren's expression darkens. "I'm sorry to hear. Please forgiv--"

"Save it!" the other knight, the one in red armor, says. "You embarrassed us back in Moaning. We want a rematch."

"Right now?" Oren asks, not overtly accepting or rejecting.

"Tomorrow. Noon. North exit. Bring the priest."

"Very well. If you wish to be humiliated again, I can't stop you."

The knights huff and return to their table.

Why do I have to get involved?

Oren turns to me. "Don't worry. We won't lose to those two."

Jorry smiles. "Making enemies, I see."

"Hey, hey, their business. Not mine," Elric says.

"Speaking of business...'" Jorry says. "I have a meeting with a client in Eluso. It's just beyond the Royal Trail. Why don't you join me? It would give us more time to catch up. The tombs can wait."

"That's past Asentus." Elric thinks for a bit. "I don't know..."

This might mean the thief is sticking with us, at least until Asentus.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"I didn't say tha--"

"I'll look for you guys tomorrow. Don't leave without me."

Elric does a half nod.

His friend exits the tavern.

"I suppose we'll share a room?" Oren asks.

We break for a much needed rest.

~*~

4