Chapter 24: Asentus
73 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24
Asentus

~*~

When I come to again, I find myself in a wagon, my hands and feet bound by ropes. Oren and Elric are in the exact same predicament. They wriggle and roll, fighting to get free.

"It's no use," Jorry says, seated nearby watching us. Though his expression isn't visible in the dark, his words show pity. "Rope of Binding is one of the strongest out there. The more you struggle, the tighter it becomes. Even an elephant can't break free. Just sit still, alright?"

"Bastard!" Elric curses, toppling over to one side. "Why are you doing this?"

Jorry helps him back to a sitting position. "I have no choice."

"What are you talking about?"

"I have to save Ayla."

"Ayla...? I thought she was dead."

"It was a lie," Oren says, seemingly having picked up on something. "I suspected it from the start."

If that were true, we probably wouldn't be in this predicament. Perhaps the monk is trying to save face.

"A lie...but why?" Elric asks, still confused by the situation.

Jorry rests his back on the opposite side of the wagon. "I'm doing this for Ayla. She's still imprisoned in Asentus."

"Well then let's break in and get her out."

"The king promised to release her...for a price."

"What?"

"I work for him now. My job is to catch rebels and heretics."

"I suppose we fit the bill," Oren chimes in again.

Elric lets his friend have it. "Coward!"

"What do you expect me to do, huh? Ayla means everything to me."

"I always knew you would turn out a traitor!"

"Shut up!" Jorry blurts. "Or did you forget? It was your fault Ayla and I ended up captured."

Elric has no rebuff. His rage suddenly becomes subdued by the sight of his friend's words.

But Jorry doesn't stop. "Your fault! You did this to us! If anyone's to blame, it's you!"

Blocks of tears roll down the thief's face. "I-I know. I'm sorry, Jorry. I'm really sorry."

"Good. I'm glad you're sorry."

The two fall silent. What needed to be said has been said.

It's already nighttime. Outside, trees and mountains scroll past us. The wagon continues to hug the foot of the mountains as it veers north.

I hear the sound of galloping and realize that someone is steering the horses. It must be the knights we pissed off. Our chances of getting away is

next to none. The best course of action would be to wait and see what happens next.

"Where are you taking us?" Elric asks, as if reading my mind.

Jorry answers, "The three of you will be delivered to Asentus. Your fate there...I don't know."

"How thoughtful!" Oren says. "This saves us time and energy."

Jorry doesn't seem to notice anything odd with the monk's remarks. "I'll do my best to ask for lenience."

"Save it," Elric says. "Just look out for yourself."

"Elric..."

The thief closes his eyes to avoid further conversation with his former friend.

Oren does the same, his face calm as ever. Is he not the least bit worried? Maybe he still wants to die.

I wriggle myself into a more comfortable position and close my eyes.

When I finally open them again, the wagon has already come to a stop. A couple hours must've have elapsed.

I see Elric and Oren stepping out of the wagon with the help of Jorry and one of the knights. The other one prods me with the hilt of his sword. After he confirms that I awake, he picks me up and drops me onto the ground. I swing my feet around to find my bearings.

"Don't hurt yourself, priest," he says. "There's no escaping."

I look around and see brick walls.

With our arms still tied behind our backs, the three of us are led to what appears to be the back entrance of the castle. A man in armor steps away from the wooden door to confront us.

"Who goes there?" the guard asks.

"It is I, Jorry, the King Triton's servant," Jorry answers, bowing slightly to show his respect.

"Ah, the former rebel," the man acknowledges him. "Back and begging again? The king has no time for your pitiful face."

"I wouldn't dare waste a second of His Majesty's time, but I come bearing gifts."

"Gifts? Explain. Who are these people with you?" The guard takes cautious steps, circling us for a better look.

"Prisoners. One of them is a top ranking leader among the rebels. I'm delivering them to King Triton as proof of my loyalty."

"Hey, we did most of the work," one of the knights blurts.

"And you will get paid," Jorry says, clearly not wanting the others to take credit.

"Silence," the guard says. He eyes Elric, Oren and me and nods. "Well done. The king will be pleased."

"Please, if you could let King Triton know that it was I, Jorry, who captured these Heretics of the Word, that would be highly appreciated." Jorry slips the guard an item.

The guard nods. He opens the door and waves an arm inside. A few seconds later, three more armored men appear outside.

"Take them to the east dungeon."

The three guards pull us away from the two knights and prod us forward through the door.

Torches line the cement walls of the interior. The maze-like corridors run for what seems like miles. The deep, almost flourescent red lighting resembles a red room, apt for the hell that awaits us. My mind wanders to the various medieval torture methods that are probably available at the kingdom's disposal. I shudder, my brittle limbs clacking against each other like wooden blocks. Surely, this isn't that kind of game. We're getting out of this, one way or another.

"You know what we do to criminals like you?" a guard asks, obviously rhetorical.

The second guard loops an imaginary noose around his head and pulls upwards hard. Tongue out and eyes rolling, he pretends to struggle to breathe.

"Gaaaahhaahahaahaha!!!" the other two guards laugh.

Oren chimes in. "Don't quit your day job."

The guards stop laughing and push us onwards. "Walk properly, heretics!"

We step through a threshold, and the color scheme changes to icy blue. A sudden chill envelops my body. This part of the castle must be reserved for the vilest of criminals.

We are eventually led down a flight of stairs to the lower level, more drab and dirty. The atmosphere is not unlike the barn in Fortra; they must both share the same designer. In the dark behind the cells' metal bars, whitish orbs flash open in waves. The bloodshot eyes of the prisoners follow us until we reach a conveniently empty cell.

In a flash, our clothes disappear, and we are left wearing only our white briefs. I instinctively try to cover myself, but there's no point. I had completely forgotten about my underwear. It's the longest I've gone in my life without changing. Before I can finish counting the days I've gone in the same pair, the guards push the three of us into the cell and slam the doors shut.

Elric shakes and kicks and the bars in vain, before finally plopping himself on the ground in defeat. "Dammit!" He looks over to me and then to Oren. "Useless."

The monk has already sat down and gone into a meditative state. I decide not to bother him in case he's concocting a plan to get us out of here.

From what I can see, our fellow prisoners aren't the talkative bunch. The number of eyeballs on us begins to feel uncomfortable, and so I look for a way to escape. Maybe one of my Job Specialties can get us out of here, but what could I use to Dig?

In the corner of the cell is a bed of hay, barely enough to fit a couple bodies. I walk up to it and close my eyes to allow time to pass. When I open them again, not much has changed. Oren is still meditating, while Elric is still trying to escape.

"Hey!" the thief shouts. "I need to pee! Hey, c'mon! Can you see what I'm saying!? I'm talking to you. Let me out of here!!!"

Surprisingly, his words seem to have an effect. Three figures approach our cell, almost hidden in the dim light at first, but as they edge closer, their faces emerge. Two of them were the same guards from before. How I can recognize them is beyond me, considering all the NPCs look more or less the same, save their attire.

The other person, the one in front exuding an aura that leaves no doubt that he was boss, had on gold armor. A captain perhaps. The strange thing is that he looks oddly familiar. Where have I met him before?

"Sire," a guard says, "these are the latest Heretics of the Word we captured."

The man in gold armor studies us, his face full of arrogance and condescension. "A thief, a monk, and priest. What are you doing in Asentian territory?"

Being a mute, I have nothing to offer. Oren hasn't budged from his position, and his eyes are still closed. Elric stares at the man intently, but doesn't say anything.

The man turns to one of the guards and the two have a conversation with their eyes. The guard nods and then throws something into our cell. Chains of lightning ripple through the small confines and shock our bodies. I see our health decrease by almost half.

The sudden jolt brings Oren out of his meditation. He rises to his feet and locks his eyes on the leader of the three outside the cell. "How rude. Did your father not teach you not to interrupt a monk during his moment of respite?"

"I said, what are you doing in Asentian territory?" It seems he won't entertain Oren question. "Speak, or three more Chain Lightnings are coming your way. I'll feed your roasted corpses to the hounds."

None of us answers, irking the man further. He turns to the guard again, who proceeds to launch another lightning attack at us. Our health falls to critical levels.

"Speak!"

Elric glares at him. "There's no law saying we can't walk around in these lands."

"All are welcome in Asentus," the man in gold armor says. "Heretics are welcome too...at the gallows. But if you cooperate, your lives may be spared."

Elric is more ardent than ever. "And become a servant to the king? Never!"

"Hahahahahaha!" the man laughs. The other two follow suit. "Who said anything about serving the king? You'll be lucky to leave Asentus with your head still on your shoulder."

"However," he continues, "I'm feeling generous right now. One good deed a day, that's the paladin's mantra. I only have one question for you. If you answer it to my satisfaction, you are free to go. Well, not before leaving behind a hand or two, of course. But let's wait until we cross that bridge."

One good deed a day? Sounds like what Cassis would say. I quickly realize that the man in gold armor is her brother, Magnus. How do I let him know about her? Does he even recognize me? I walk to the bars and stick my face in front of him, hoping to jolt his memory.

"Do you have something to say?" Magnus asks me.

Elric pushes me aside. "He's a mute. He can't talk. Ask your question. I'll answer it, and then you'll set us free."

Magnus turns to Elric. "It's very simple. Your secret base, where is it?"

If the thief gives him that information, no doubt the king will send an army to Fortra's gates.

As expected, Elric plays dumb. "I don't know. My rank isn't high, so I'm not privvied to that kind of information."

"Is that so? My sources tell me you're Roshan's right-hand man."

"You mean Jorry? He's a liar. He'll say anything."

"Oh?" Magnus says, obviously feigning surpruse. "And I was going to reward him for bringing the three of you here. He's waiting anxiously upstairs, actually. If the former 'Champion of Freespeech' cannot be trusted, I suppose there's no reason for him to live." He turns to one of the guards. "Kill him."

The guard nods and turns around to leave.

"No, wait!" Elric says. "Don't hurt him. Please. He's not lying."

"Old friends, I see. Tell me the location of the base, now."

The thief struggles to find words. Before, it was only our lives at risk, but what Elric says may now affect Jorry's as well.

I turn to Oren, hoping he could cast Guidance to save us. But we're probably in a town, so it wouldn't work.

Magnus glares at Elric. "Spit it out!"

Elric exhales. "I already answered your question."

"You dare turn down my generosity?" Magnus shakes his head. "Very well." His attention at last shifts to me. "You. You're coming with me."

Before I know it, the cell door opens, and the guards enter to drag me out. Elric and Oren try to stop them, but the guards lower their swords between us.

"He's a mute. He's of no help to you! What are you planning to do to him?" Oren demands, the cell gate closing in front of him.

"You'll see when he returns," Magnus says, "if he does return. Hahahahahaha." And with that, he turns around and walks off.

The guards prods me onwards. I obey, curious as to what was going to happen to me. The worst part in all off this is that I've had no opportunity to explain myself. It sucks not being able to talk.

They take me upstairs, where Magnus then dismisses the guards.

"Follow me," he says, and walks ahead, confident that I wouldn't try to run.

I follow, my mind playing through various scenarios that might unfold. He must know that interrogation is futile. No matter how much he tortures me, he won't get a single word out of me.

"You must be petrified."

By the freezing hallway, yes.

"The punishment for going against the king is death."

Hanged. Yes, you've made that very clear, sir.

"But luck is on your side today."

So I'll be spared, great! As expected, the game wouldn't let me die, at least not without putting up a fight.

Magnus leads me up three more floors, each heavily guarded by men in armor. There's not much in terms of decor, save a few pieces of fancy looking furniture here and there. It's what you would expect of castles during this era. Finally, he comes to a stop outside a door and turns to me.

"I've taken a slight interest in you."

I hope he doesn't mean that kind of interest. It's not something I want to experience, not even in a virtual world.

He throws me a bag. "Put your clothes back on."

You found Belongings!

Some items are missing, but my priest's gear are all there. I equip them and wait for further instructions.

Magnus knocks on the door, then walks off, leaving me standing their alone.

The door opens.

In front of me is the last person I expected to see: Cassis.

~*~

Cassis is back! What do you think?

3