Chapter 37: Lost
54 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37
Lost

~*~

We hurry through the Asentian Desert, desperate to catch up to Magnus' army. No one says a word. The powerful creatures of the night keep us focused. Even with our party of five, the night scorpions prove to be no easy kill. After several battles, we stop by an oasis to replenish our health and skill points.

"Let's go!" Elric tells us.

"Elric," Cassis grabs his arm. "We have to talk about how to approach this."

Oren joins her. "Cassis is right."

"No she's not!" The thief pulls himself away from her. "If she still had a Teleport Gate, we could just teleport to Fortra and I could warn everyone."

"I had to use it. To save Oren, or did you forget?"

Elric stares at the ground, arms crossed. "I never should've joined you guys."

"So much drama," Melisande whispers to me.

"What's she saying!?"

I scratch the side of my neck.

Melisande simply smiles to Elric. "Shall we get going?"

And so without another word, the journey through the desert continues. At about half way through, we start to see footprints in the sand. They are faint at first, but the further we venture, the more defined they become. A quick sweeping glance is enough to conclude that they were created by a very large army.

Night turns to day. The fate of Fortra grows more clear in my mind the closer we get. Through the rays of the blazing sun, the desert's end finally appears. We step into the Northern Highlands and continue onwards without slowing our pace.

A tinge of a nostalgia whisks past me. Oren and I had spent a significant amount of time in this region of Zephyria. The land has not changed one bit. Not that I expected it to. However, a very visible difference stands before our eyes: the buildings of Fortra are ablaze.

"No, no, no!" Elric leaves our party and dashes off faster than we've ever seen him move before.

We run after him, entering the rebel's base that has now become a war zone.

The happy tune is no more, replaced by a somber string concerto piece. Corpses young and old fill the streets, while those still alive stand frozen in fear, bound in chains.

"Magnus, what have you done..." A teary-eyed class Cassis goes to hug an injured child. "There, there. Everything will be alright." She uses a potion on the little girl, then with her sword, sets the child free. "Go."

The child doesn't move.

A soldier part of the group rounding up the residents of Fortra runs up to Cassis. "Princess! What are you doing?"

"What am I doing? I should be asking you that! Where's my brother? This is beyond despicable."

"Prince Magnus is dealing with leader of the heretics right now. We've been told to round up everyone. Those who attempt to feel will be killed."

Oren steps forward. "Many of these folks are not heretics. The heretics took over Fortra. These people are innocent."

"I'm just doing what I've been told."

"Nonsense," Cassis says. "You will free everyone and put out the fires. No more harming these innocent villagers. Do you understand?"

"But Prince Magnus said..."

"One good deed a day, have you forgotten?"

"Not at all Princess! But the prince..."

"I'll deal with Magnus."

The soldier looks to his comrades then back at Cassis and nods. "Very well. We will do as you say." They scatter around town and begin to free the captives.

Oren gestures for us to follow him. "If Magnus is after the leader of the rebels, he must be at the church. Elric might be there as well. Let's hurry."

We rush through Fortra, heading towards the town center. Despite the chaos, the church still stands tall and firm, undamaged. Inside, an eerie silence replaces the somber tune. A few bodies lie scattered on the still pristine carpets. Among them are Roshan's most trusted men: the storage keeper, the priest selling wares, and Andy. Their faces are manakin-like, motionless and emotionless.

"Magnus, you fiend..."

To the right of the altar, Roshan suddenly appears from behind the door. Upon seeing us, he attempts to bolt, but Oren stops him.

"He's the leader of the heretics," the monk says. "We must subdue him."

"Damn you!"

Cassis and Melisande prepare to attack.

The world spins out of control.

[battle with Roshan - mini boss easy fight]

"What should we do with him?" Oren asks.

Cassis stares at the unconscious Roshan. "Let's bind him, then use an Asharia's Kiss."

As we do so, Magnus marches out of the door sword drawn, his face red with fury. "Roshan! You can't get away." He sees us and scoffs. "I didn't expect to see you here." His gaze moves towards the ground where the leader of the heretics is lying, nodding halfheartedly. "Well done, little sister. I'll take it from here."

With impeccable timing, two soldiers enter the church. Magnus points to Roshan, and they carry him away.

"What will you do with him?" Cassis' face suggests she fears the worst for the man.

Just then, Elric appears and lunges at Magnus from behind. "I'll kill you!"

Magnus swiftly dodges the attack, grabs the thief, and tosses him aside. "Stay down."

"Elric!" Oren runs over to help him. "That's enough. This is between the kingdom and Roshan now. You can't help them anymore."

Elric stumbles to his feet. One by one, his horrified eyes lock onto faces. "I didn't make it in time. Tillis is dead. She's dead. W-what do I do now? What..." His anger finds its victim in Magnus once again. "This bastard killed her!"

Oren holds firmly onto him. I go over to heal the thief, then help the monk keep him still.

"He killed her! Damn you, Magnus! I'll kill you!"

"She was in the way." Magnus stares the five of us down, pointing at each of us with the tip of his sword. "And if you any of you dare to stand in my way, you'll suffer the same fate."

"Kill us? All five of us?" With a half smile, Cassis takes a closer towards her brother. "Hah! Even as powerful as you are, you can't take us all on at the same time."

"Don't be so sure..."

There's a break in words as the two sides gauge each other.

Everyone is tense, except for Melisande.

Finally, Magnus sheathes his sword. "Gah! Lister sister, you just always have to get in the way, don't you. Father will hear about this. "

"Yes, he will. He will hear about your gross mistreatment of innocent civilians. No matter how many good deeds you do, you will never wash your hands of your sins."

"Very funny. My ascension to Paladin has already begun." Magnus produces a medalion to a baffled Cassis. Before she can grab it, he pulls it out of her reach. "Within a month's time, I'll ascend, learn some new skills, and not to mention, get a brand new cape."

"You'll never pass the required trials!"

"We shall see, we shall see. By the way, Father knows all about your escapades in Shalaron. You're in big trouble. If anyone is not qualified to be a Paladin, it's you."

Cassis remains mum.

None of us feel the need to defend her. This is a matter of sibling rivalry.

"Goodbye, little sister." Magnus shakes his head and walks away.

"Come back here!" Elric tries to lunge at him, but Oren and I hold him firm in place.

"Arrogant boy," Melisande utters in her deep, piercing voice.

Magnus stops. His head cocks, looking over his shoulder to catch the Speaker's gaze momentarily. He then turns to Cassis and says, "Father will be back in Asentus tomorrow. He has important news regarding the matter with the Speaker. You might want to be there when he makes the announcement," then disappears.

The tension in the church remains heavy.

Cassis checks on the other bodies on the ground. "I don't have any Asharia's Kisses..."

"It's too late. They're all dead." Elric wrests his arms away from Oren and me. "Tillis is gone for good." He walks calmly through the doors, then returns carrying Tillis' body.

We go to help him, but he shrugs us off, continuing down the carpet and out the church. Oren picks up one of the bodies and follows Elric out. Cassis and Melisande do the same. I don't quite understand, but decide to follow suit.

Outside, the fire has stopped, and the last of the Asentian army have disappeared. The scene turns into something like a funeral procession, as dozens wander the streets with a body in arms. A wintry chill flushes through my entire being. I fight back tears, but the watery blocks easily escape the ducts of my eyes.

"There's no reason to cry," Melisande says to me, her voice soothing like a consoling mother.

I'm suddenly reminded of the fact that none of this is real. None of these people are real. It's just a game. Yet to Elric and the others, this is life. They've just suffered great losses, and it's no doubt very real to them.

At the fields where we once labored, the bodies are laid on the ground next to each other in rings. The villagers surround the deceased, some in tears, some expressionless. We go stand next to Elric and mourn with him. The entire town is now present. Dead or alive, not a single person is moving.

Minutes elapse.

An hour passes by.

And then another hour.

The town of Fortra seems to be frozen in time.

I fight the urge to move.

Finally, the sun sets.

The bodies begin to disintegrate, the fragments rising as specks of light. All eyes watch the phenomenon, as streams of blue and white flow into the sky, illuminating the darkness in shimmers and swirls. My heart races alongside the growing currents of light, ascending with the deceased higher and higher into the unknown. The world explodes in a sudden burst of light.

And then darkness.

I feel my heart stop.

Oren rests his hand on my shoulder. "They're with Asharia now."

There are no more tears, only awe.

I'm reminded of the near-death occasions, grateful to be alive.

After the procession, the crowd disperses. Those with houses still in tact return home, while those without begin rebuilding. Elric occupies himself taking care of the children who have lost their parents. Cassis tries to help, but he waves her off.

"Go! You've done enough."

"I will ask Father to send aid..."

"No, we don't want your help."

"But these people need--"

"Just go! Get out of here."

Cassis nods and steps away from the thief.

The four of us watch him engrossed in work for a little while longer, then leave Fortra.

~*~

New chapters will resume on January 4, 2021. Happy New Year!

2