Chapter 83: Separated by Ice. Reunited by Ice. Part 2 of 2.
4.2k 52 156
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"They are here. Violet Death and her armies are here, Auros."

—!

I know that my instinct told me that she would attack today but still...I can't help but be surprised.

"She teleported her whole armies here, dear. That is why it might be surprising for you."

I can't deny that I am nervous but...!

As you said! I have to be strong!

Even if that sounds too cliché!

And it is a check for the isekai list!!

I have promises to keep and I will not cower away!

"That is what I wanted to hear, Auros."

I can feel that I am making an expression full of conviction right now and that is good.

I focus a bit and I send the preemptive signal to all the Maid-Knights through their marks.

This will let them know to get ready.

Also...Erevain is coming back.

She changed into her maid-knight outfit while fighting with her father...I see...she did not want to fight him while dressed for a party.

She wanted to fight him in her combat clothing as a form of respect...regardless of him deserving that or not...

"My Lord…I...did what I had to do. I apologize for not being able to bring him alive, but he…my Father…he was too far gone...even before he corrupted himself with the Evil God's Blood. There was no other way it would have ended...and I truly lament that."

She says that with a complex expression on her face and her eyes are showing that she is not going let out more tears.

Corruption with Evil God's Blood...? Indeed, I did 'see' with my senses that he had suddenly changed before she finished...but I can't think about that right now...

I have to say something.

I can't just stay silent even if it is difficult for me.

"Erevain, there is no need to apologize. Not to me…nor the Goddess. Your actions were never motivated by revenge, nor selfishness, but from your sense of justice and love. Things that had been planted by your parents long ago and nurtured by you. Your Father may have lost his way and the light that guided him, but the embers that he gave you long ago are..."

I point at her heart as I say that.

"...here, burning with intensity. His reasons might have been selfish, but if there is something that can be salvaged from all that, is that yes, it is time to show the people of this world a new path. Will you add your light to mine and show everyone the way?"

This is the best that I can say with the little time we have.

I know, I know…it is a bit cheesy, but it does come from the bottom of my heart.

I am also making a really soft and warm expression right now, you know?

"Haha...yes, it will be an honor, My Lord Auros. And…thank you."

Ah...she truly is as strong as she is beautiful...

I am glad that my words are able to make her smile like that.

But...this sweet moment will need to be cut short.

Because we must go.

So…I signal Erica and Gabrielle to return with my hand and they do so with haste.

"Then let us be off, for Violet Death has already teleported to the vicinity of the Capital and is approaching it with haste."

I say as I turn my expression into a serious one, and just like flipping a switch, Erevain’s does the same.

"My, what a killjoy and here I was eagerly waiting to dance with My Dear Master..."

Says Gabrielle while approaching us with Erica beside her.

"...but I am glad that you are alright, Erevain."

"I am too, Erevain..."

The tone of Gabrielle and Erica is sincere, and their words carry nothing but true care for Erevain.

"Thank you, Gabrielle, Erica. It gives me strength knowing that you and the rest are with me. And now we have to fulfill our duties my friends."

With that, Erevain turns to me and nods, to which I nod back before teleporting us back to the venue.

_______________________________________________

"Ah! Its Lady Argento!"

"Lady Argento!"

"Miss Gabrielle!"

"Miss Erica!! Miss Eresh!!"

Appearing right where we had left, we are back at the venue.

Although, you probably already guessed that because of the guest’s reactions.

And among them, there’s Baron Thach with a face full of relief. Seriously…you are a good, genuine man, Baron.

Still, there are those who have remained silent and are even looking at us with despair. Those are New Glory’s members, who are cuffed and being watched by Ludovica’s Paladins at a corner of the venue.

Hm? Why am I here, you ask? Well, I cannot leave to the battlefield without warning everyone about the attack.

Furthermore, I can tell with my senses that there is not much time before history repeats itself.

"Lady Auros, I see that you have returned safely. And..."

Ludovica comes to us and tilts her head, as if looking for something or…someone.

"...I see, punishment has been given then. May his soul be purified by the Goddess so that we can meet again in this life or the next..."

With a solemn tone and lightly bowing her head in prayer she…hmm? Did she just turn a bit to face Erevain while saying that?

Strange…but I have to tell her something, so let’s leave that for later.

As such, I signal her to come closer and she does.

"Yes, super best friend?"

She murmurs that while excited and curious.

Also, I would like to retort to that, but she did a good job, and she’ll be working a bit more so let's give her that.

Now…

"Our unwanted guests have arrived."

"...!!"

Ludovica’s eyes widen as her expression understandably changes from excited to serious.

"You know what to do but trust that I will not let them win."

But even then, I can only see complete and absolute trust in her eyes as she nods at my words and starts moving.

"Everyone! Heed me! The Goddess has warned me of an imminent attack on the Capital!"

*gasp*

One doesn’t need to listen to their nervous chatter to know that the people in the venue are losing their calm. Well, at least those who are not veterans and so on. Still, it’s probably due to their trauma from five years ago.

Thankfully, the Paladins are quick to calm everyone, some even go as far as to talking one on one with those most affected before moving on and asking everyone to lower their voice as Ludovica speaks.

Meanwhile, I start searching for a certain person that has been on my mind ever since I met her.

Hilde Val.

It is obvious that she is the puppet that Violet Death had been using to manipulate the King.

After all, she abandoned him right after discovering that there was no prize to be had inside that mausoleum.

There is also Nerinne wanting to see her reaction to the letter while entering 'dark mode', which already implied some things.

"Hey, don’t use me as a clue!"

Sumanai, heh.

But it wasn't just that.

The way she disappeared felt…familiar to me.

To be precise, her mana.

When I met her there was no mana to be seen.

Which now that I think about it, that could have added to my feeling of strangeness regarding her.

Moreover, the whole thing about her not being surprised about the strength of Gabrielle and Erica made me suspect her even more.

But getting back to the mana bit, when she disappeared it was too small...too diluted to be of the one I was suspecting.

That made me think that she might be a servant of the person her mana reminds me.

After all, if I can make pacts with other people, then that means that other dragon lords could do so too.

Right?

There are some cases like that in isekais and not only that, but also about those same people inheriting a fraction of the power of their masters.

So…as I expand my senses looking for her, my mind's eye catches something deep in the palace.

Something that throws that theory out of the window.

A blue icy flame…

One that clearly belongs to a certain ice cream lizard!

Hilde is no servant of hers, she is Eternal Winter!

That...! How did she manage to dilute her mana like that then?!

"There are ways, dear. You just don’t know of them and they never occurred to you, which is why your instinct was foggy about her, limited to that 'strangeness' as you say. But it did push you to want and focus on her, and once you did that seriously her disguise would have fallen apart.”

Yes...I guess I'll need to study and keep trying to get back my isekai library!

Now…

"That is why I will be using my authority to assume direct control of the Capital's forces in this pressing time!"

As Ludovica continues doing her part, I pull Erevain aside and tell her the following:

"She is here in the palace."

"I understand. I shall take care of her and join you in the battlefield when I finish, My Lord. This I swear."

There is no more for me to do other than accept the feeling behind those eyes and words, that intense conviction of hers, and see her off in the way that responds best to it while showing my trust in her.

"I shall take you on your word then, for this is a battle that you and only you can fight. So I expect you to be victorious and return to my side, Eresh."

She nods as we lock gazes with each other.

Sensing the overall situation, Gabrielle, and Erica approach us discretely.

Not to interrupt, but to see Erevain off too.

"Do not die, Eresh. We still have work to do and…scores to settle."

Says Gabrielle in a serious tone, one that shows again how much she cares about Erevain.

"Leave everyone to me, Eresh. I will not disappoint you."

And immediately after that, Erica says that, showing her readiness to assume her role as vice-leader.

Erevain smiles at them, nods, and says the following:

"I share the same sentiments, Gabrielle.  And you are more than ready, Erica. I know that you shall not disappoint me."

Just as Erevain is turning around, a kaleidoscopic aura covers not only Erevain’s head, but theirs too, and then it transforms into a set of fantasy headphones and microphone.

Which looks awesome by the way! But it disappears in a few seconds, or more like just kind of disappears.

It’s Sophie's skill and she is talking through it. Telling that she believes in the efficiency that live communications can bring to the table.

We all smile, proud of how much Sophie has grown.

With that, Erevain leaves in a dash.

I could've offered to teleport her, but she would've told me to not use my precious mana on her.

"Now that everyone agrees, my first action will be to deploy Lady Argento and her people to the battlefield. They will buy us all the time we need to prepare our forces."

So says Ludovica with the confidence of a true leader.

And that’s also my cue to enter buuut…

"I apologize but I have to object to that, your Holiness! We have indeed seen the strength of Lady Auros' people but deploying them alone against that Dragon Lord and their army would be suicide!"

Baron Thach...seriously, you are great, but let me show you something.

"Come! Nern!"

Something in the form of my holy weapon, its holy shine, and a bit of my own power too.

“““““…!!!”””””

And so, with the exception of Ludovica and the Maid-Knights, everyone has been left agape.

"It shall not be suicide, but a crushing defeat for them, Baron. For we are the Knights of the Ever-Burning Will and we shall show them that their time is over.”

With that, I start focusing on every single Maid-Knight, which causes all the ‘pact-tattoos’ on my body to become visible and start glowing with intensity.

The same can be said for the one that is on the Maid-Knights' bodies.

"Space, heed me, obey me, take those connected with me through the sacred pact to the battlefield that awaits us, [Rallying Teleportation]!!"

I blink and I am once again in this familiar 'hallway' that connects where I was to where I am going to.

But this time…I am not alone.

My Maid-Knights are here too.

And we all start moving towards the bright ‘door’ at the end of this ‘hallway’.

The ‘door’ to the battlefield.

This is it, Nerinne.

There is no turning back now.

"Indeed, Auros. I will be watching over you now and forever. I love you."

I love you too.

___________________________________________

As I run throughout the hallways of the place that used to be my home, I feel myself being pulled by something.

No…guided by something.

I believe it is the connection my opponent and I share.

A fate to fight one another.

I hazard to guess that for her it is about finishing what she started five years ago. That is, to kill me.

As for me, it is about confronting my future.

Yes…

After facing against my father...I have come to that realization.

If he was my past, then...Eternal Winter is a representation of my future.

She is my trial.

A trial to see if I am worthy of walking alongside the woman I love.

To see if I am worthy of the duty that I shall shoulder.

If I am to be beside her in her quest to rid the world of the threat of the Dragon Lords, then I cannot let history repeat itself.

For me to share a future with her, I shall defeat Eternal Winter and return to her side.

But even if I am stronger after being blessed by her pact, I shall not underestimate Eternal Winter.

She is an opponent whose strength I must respect and act accordingly.

"Here..."

I can feel it, the force that is guiding me has grown stronger after entering this hidden tunnel.

And while its existence does surprise me, I cannot let myself be absorbed by that emotion, lest I lose my focus and find myself lost in the middle of these labyrinthian tunnels.

"Halt!"

That voice…it is a Paladin I know as both Erevain and Eresh.

Her Holiness' attendant, Julian.

"Miss Eresh? What are you doing here inside the tunnels? Has something gone wrong with the plan?"

Since he knows about the plan that My Lord and Her Holiness made for this night, it would be no problem for me to explain the situation.

But that would lead to him and his team to try and join me.

And I cannot let such good people die.

"No. Everything is going as planned. But there is something I must take care of alone. So, if you will excuse me."

He wants to know more, I can see it in his eyes, but he should also see in mine that I will not tell him. And so, he will do as he now usually does. Sigh and scratch his neck.

"Aaah...understood. Knowing your Master's relationship with her Holiness and the Goddess, her orders are my boss' boss orders..."

Just like that.

"...but do capture the former prince if you find him, will you? We are looking for him."

I simply nod and keep going.

My brother...what matter of reasoning has been going through your head through all these years?

Father saw you like a disposable tool, one that offered itself to be used.

But why would you do that? Why would offer yourself?

Mary's words make me think that maybe you did it all for our sakes...

Yet, if that is the case…then why did you not trust us? Why did you not trust me?

No…I must focus, even more so now that I am out of those hidden tunnels.

Because here, in the lonely hallway I find myself walking, I can feel a familiar cold…

One that I could never forget.

"This is..."

And what is now in front of me confirms my beliefs in the purpose of the strange force that has been guiding me.

An icicle that instead of melting has frozen a large part of the surrounding area where it rests, including part of the floor and the ceiling.  

The means that this hallway will surely lead me to her.

Looking at my now unsheathed longsword, I cannot help but remember that I was supposed to receive my new weapons from Roxxy in the battlefield.

But that will not happen now.

Then again, something is telling me that it is nothing to worry about...

This same force...gives me the feeling that they will come to me...

I shall trust that feeling and keep dashing to the end of the hallway.

Hm? I can hear something…a battle…a losing battle.

Not only that, but the cold has gotten much stronger now.

The walls, the ceiling, the floor, everything is covered in a layer of ice.

Ice that is most thick on the frozen door that now towers before me.

One that would be impossible to open through normal means given the properties of her ice.

"Now Mary...!"

"Haah! Face the unescapable grasp of the Ogre, fire that vests me I will take what I desire! [Burning Ogre's Grasp]!"

"Oh prince, that is not going to cut it, you know?"

"I know! Euphemia!"

"Yes brother! [Scepter Fighter Trance] [Eight Scepters Elemental Formation] [Kaleidoscope Assault]!!"

"The Great Founder's blade shall bring your end now! [Mirage Thrust]!!"

Those voices...!

I must get in! They are fighting an opponent they cannot hope to defeat with their strength!!

"Oh, moonlight I beseech you, strike with your radiance that which is my enemy, [Moonlight Blast]!"

There, the door has been turned into a cloud of icy dust by my spell.

“…”

Icy dust that goes away and reveals a scene that makes my blood boil.

"So, you have arrived...human..."

Her voice has changed into the one I know, one that is carved in my mind, even if the woman before me looks human.

A human that I know too.

Hilde Val.

Eternal Winter.

They are one and the same.

"These siblings of yours...thought they could kill this doll of mine...with their feeble strength and weapons..."

Euphemia…she is holding Euphemia from her head while having a sword coming out of her chest as if it was a nothing...

“…”

Meanwhile, Mary is almost frozen completely in a pillar of ice...

And Licht...he is being grabbed by the neck...

“…”

"I had to keep the human charade as they pointlessly fought...but...credit is due even to inferior beings such as these...”

Enough.

“…to be able to pierce this doll's body is...”

I WILL NOT LET HER KILL THEM!

“…unexpected...I—!"

"[Crescent Moon Slash]!! [Gibbous Moon Slash]!!"

Moving at great speed, I unleash my attacks and cause both of her arms to fall, freeing my siblings, who I take as I immediately jump back to where I was.

But I know this is just the beginning of our battle, for it is as she said.

That body is a doll that does not bleed at all.

A doll made of ice.

"Big brother...it is really you...I knew I was right..."

"That cannot be true...that woman...! She was...she was playing with me...to that point?!"

So Euphemia recognized me at that time? If this were a different situation, I would be moved...

Meanwhile, Licht is understandably shaken...but that is not what matters now regarding him.

"Licht. Answer me this in one word."

What matters is what I intend to ask him.

All while I am not taking my glaring eyes off that doll.

"Did you do it for our sakes?”

And wisely so, for something has pushed out the sword that was buried in her chest.

“To protect us despite the price?"

No, not just something, but two pale hands. The same hands that have now emerged from the chest of the doll-turned-ice statue, for she is crawling out of it.

"I...yes."

My Lord, you said once that heroes and fools are the same.

"Then there is nothing more that I need to know.”

And while I still do not believe that I am a hero, if it is foolish to follow my heart and believe his words, then I shall keep being a fool.

“I may look different, but I shall protect you with my life! For I am Erevain vi Kyrie! Now come, Eternal Winter! Let us resume our fight!"

 

 

To be continued...(cue illustration of Erevain facing Eternal Winter!! Also, an ad for the Eternal Winter chibi figurine!!)

 

Holy fact: The following omakes are not canon unless you want/think of them as being as such!

Omake: ‘Wait, does that mean that she would have left me to die if I had said no?’, thought Licht as shivers ran down his spine. He was grateful for telling the truth.

Omake 2: With Erevain having placed them on the floor, a certain brother-con only needs to look a bit up to see under her skirt. The question is…will he dare to do it? Will he not? Will he use what little mana he has left to create an illusion of him not doing so while actually doing it? Such were the things he was pondering. And as if reading his mind, Euphemia was watching him disgusted while adding another reason to beat him up.

Omake 3: ‘I never thought this would happen with Big Brother/Erevain but...we are matching outfits!’, so thought both Euphemia and Mary while looking at Erevain, which made her twitch a bit.

 

Thank you so much for your patience and reading! I hope that you liked the chapter! If you did, please drop a heart and/or comment down below! If you’d like to support the story and me, then you can subscribe to my patreon or now via paypal.me! And you will still get benefits like your name in the special thanks section here and a thank you package! One that includes something spicy!

Maid Paragons, an alter-chapter with a completely different fight scene is waiting for you, so check it out on my patreon!

In any case…HERE COMES THE SUPER FITTING FANART THAT WOULD LOOK PERFECTLY IN PLACE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CHAPTER! THANK YOU SO MUCH, fia!

YEP, THAT IS EREVAIN BEFORE THE FROZEN DOOR!!

AH, BUT THERE’S MORE!

CHRISTMAS ILYA BY fia TOO!

SO ADORABLE!

AND THERE’S MOAAAAAAR!! THIS TIME FROM DavidDehGoo!! HEEEERE’S….AUROS!!

SHE LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!

Thank you so much to fia and DavidDehGoo from our discord server for creating such beautiful and incredible fanart. And if you want to send yours, you can do so by going to the fanart channel and uploading it there! Believe me, I will gush about it as hard as with these!

Special thanks from the bottom of my heart to: EmbraceTheSleeb, Lord-Hollow, YukisoraRin, LordInquisitorSteele, Anon, Anon2, Tikku, Teresa, Ayth, Knight_Redundant, Schoookie, sumdudeguy, pokio and greatred!

Please do not translate my work without my permission. Favor de no traducir mi trabajo sin mi expreso permiso.

Please look forward for the next chapter!

156