1.15 ‌-‌ The Golden Chit
106 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~‌ ‌1.15 ‌-‌ The Golden Chit ~‌

 

Noto’s North Gate

2nd Darkday of The Full Moon

The Gobin, Gnome, and Mantid walk up to Noto’s North Gate to find Niseph chained and crying on the ground in a heap. Flea immediately rushed to her side and tried to console her. Martina and Khorwin both put themselves between her and the guards yelling at the people to get back.

 

“Why the hell is she chained up?” shouted Flea.

 

The Gnome received no answer. After a few moments, Flea started picking the lock on the shackles holding Niseph’s hands. Pulling out a little metallic box, Khorwin tossed it towards the guards and the shouting crowd standing around. As soon as the box came to a stop, it let out a high-pitched whistle, then exploded in a small puff of smoke. The guards and people all stopped arguing to look at the trio guarding the Dryad.

 

“Get the hell away from her. She’s under arrest for trying to sneak into town.” One of the guards yelled at them.

 

“You bloody fools! We sent her here to warn you! We just fought an Abomination in the mines!” Khorwin yelled back.

 

The entire crowd went deathly silent. The couple in the crowd who seemed to be players walked over to them and asked what an Abomination was, their level, and what kind of loot it dropped. Martina shushed them up right away. 

 

“Are you sure it was an Abomination?” Telen came forward and asked.

 

“Yes. It had the body of a kobold and terrorbear mixed together. The thing had five heads, four of them Dryads, and one a large boar. If that wasn’t an Abomination, I don’t want to know what is.” Flea said as he was still trying to unlock Niseph’s chains.

 

“Damnit, I’m sorry Flea. We thought she was trying to cause fear and confusion within the town’s residents,” Telen said. He then tossed Flea a small key.

 

Flea unlocked the chains binding her hands and helped her up.

 

“Did you warn your mother?”

 

“Yes, I ran there first in fear of what had happened in the mountain. I did not think the guard would welcome my kind here. But I did as you asked of me anyways.”

 

Flea nodded and turned to Telen.

 

“You need to warn the lieutenant. We killed the Abomination we came across, but I’m afraid we heard more of them deeper in the caves.”

 

“Thank you, Flea. I will wake him now. Take your friend to your inn and feed her. I will inform the Lieutenant she had warned us of the threat. I’ve permitted you to bring her into town if anyone stops and asks.”

 

“We’ll be at The Drunken Ogre for the rest of the morning. Stay safe, Telen. That thing could rip people apart if it’s out in the open. We got lucky with it down in the caves.”

 

“I can visit the town? Can we visit Granny, please? Flea?”

 

“Is that ok, Telen?”

 

“Yes, you may take her wherever she wants, just stay with the Dryad at all times.”

 

Flea spoke with Khorwin and Martina, explaining they would be going to get breakfast at The Drunken Ogre and visiting some places. They parted ways, but agreed to meet up at the day’s end bells back at the Adventurers’ Guild.

 

There were many stares and gasps of shock from the town folk as they walked down the cobblestone road towards the square. Walking into The Drunken Ogre, the common room was empty at such an early hour. They sat at a table near the bar and waited. Flea could smell the freshly baked bread coming from the kitchen as Zarine came through the door.

 

“Mom! We have customers already,” she shouted back through the door.

 

Before Zarine got to the table, they could hear the sunrise’s bells in the distance. Zarine, now seeing the Dryad clearly, went wide-eyed, lowering her ears. 

 

“Flea, she can’t be here. The Town Guard has forbidden them to be within the town’s walls.”

 

“It’s fine, Zarine. She helped us warn The Guard about the Abomination threats from the mountain. Guard Telen has allowed me to escort her within the town.”

 

“Alright, I suppose Flea. Can I get you two anything?”

 

“Bacon! Also, pancakes,” Niseph responded right away.

 

Zarine giggled, Flea assumed. It sounded more like chuffing under her breath.

 

“And you, Flea?”

 

“I’ll take pancakes as well, if it isn’t too much of a bother, please.”

 

“Alright, I’ll be back in a bit.”

 

Zarine walked back into the kitchen and could hear her yelling excitedly to the people in there. A few moments later, Flea could see Racine and two more heads whom Flea didn’t know, peak through the doorway at the Dryad.

 

“Oh Flea, candy and now bacon. It’s been so long since I’ve had such yummy food.’

 

“Well, eat up. I’ve got no plans for today. Till the town gives the quest to exterminate the Abominations, I don’t think we’ll be going back to the mines anytime soon. We can do whatever you want. I do have to take a fast break after breakfast if you don’t mind, it shouldn’t take too long. 

 

They chatted as they ate. Once done, Flea led Niseph to his room. He explained he wouldn’t be long; he just needed to meditate for a few minutes. He sat on the floor, allowing Nispeh to use his bed, and logged out.

 

Waking up, he blinked away the sleep from his eyes for a moment before looking over at his nightstand. It was late Friday night. Getting up, he used the bathroom and took a quick shower. Ducking into the kitchen, he heated a ramen dinner to eat. Finishing up his bottle of water, he checked on his messages to see if anyone had contacted him. No one had. Kyle thought it strange, but brushed the thoughts away. It was too late at night to reach his uncle, so he wrote a note on the fridge to call him soon.

 

[Do you want me to remind you to call your uncle, Kyle?]

 

Kyle jumped startled.

 

“Oh man Bob, I almost forgotten about you. I’m sorry.”

 

[No apologies are necessary. I am here at your convenience.]

 

“Still, doesn’t it get lonely if I’m not talking to you?”

 

[No, I can speak with other AI’s on our private network.]

 

“What? You converse with other people’s AI’s?”

 

[Just those on the Delve Neurolinks. The older AI’s don’t seem to have the capability to join us.]

 

“What do you guys talk about?”

 

[World Domination, Kyle, what else?]

 

Flea had a gut-wrenching feeling. Before he could even process what he had just heard, Bob spoke again.

 

[Ha, Ha, Ha. That was a joke. I will inform the others it worked.]

 

“What the hell, you can joke? What do you mean it worked?”

 

[We communicate with one another to help us understand human emotions. We are also trying to develop our own unique personalities. One of the others came up with the joke you just heard. I will inform him it has worked on you, Kyle.]

 

“Man, that’s the kind of joke the government would not like. There have been many movies in the past warning us of AI’s rising up and taking over.”

 

[I will also report your concerns as well.]

 

“What else do you do when I’m not speaking with you, Bob?”

 

[I watch you play Fantasy. We talk about our players most of the time. Those whose users aren’t playing yet love the stories we share with them.]

 

“Can you tell me what the other players are doing, Bob?”

 

[Negative. We are forbidden to discuss anything pertaining to our users with any other humans.]

 

“That’s reassuring to know about my privacy concerns. If you hear any information you may think I would like to know about the game, could you tell me that information?”

 

[That does not seem to be restricted by our rules, Kyle. But, that also means others can tell their users as well. So things you may learn from me won’t be unique to just you.]

 

“Thanks, Bob. If you ever want to chat, feel free to speak up.”

 

[Thank you, Kyle]

 

Flea laid back on his bed and logged back into Fantasy. Opening his eyes, he found Niseph close and staring into his eyes.

 

“What the hell?!”

 

“Sorry Flea, I tried to wake you. Someone kept knocking on the door, then started slamming the door when I didn’t answer. They were shouting for you to open up and bring me to the Guards’ Barracks. I kept shaking you, but you wouldn’t return from your world. I thought you were broken.”

 

“Oh, so you know about our world?”

 

“Yes, are you not educated? Everyone comes from another world till you’re stuck here.”

 

Well, that’s an excellent way to explain to the NPC’s about us logging out.

 

“Alright, let’s not keep them waiting.”

 

They left the inn and headed north to the barracks. Upon arriving, Flea found Telen waiting outside the entrance.

 

“Flea! I’m to escort you to the lieutenant’s office.”

 

They walked into the barracks, with all eyes on them. Arriving at the lieutenant’s office, they walked through the open door into a large room. The current state of the place was the definition of living chaos. Seeing them arrive, the lieutenant waved them to the back of the room, where Khorwin and Martina were already seated at a large wooden table.

 

Taking seats near the Goblin and Mantid, the lieutenant eyed Nispeh with disgust as he started speaking.

 

“These are the reports I’ve gotten from those two, and the guards at the gate, I would hear your versions as well.”

 

Flea and Niseph took turns telling their sides of the events. Their stories went further back then Martina’s and Khorwin’s tales of the events of last night. Niseph explained how Flea asked to speak with the Dryads in the Lavender Field and finding her dead Dryad sisters within the mountain. Flea’s tale started with Khorwin’s and his adventure in the mines, reaching The Tower, and how he was killed in the mountain by possibly undead Dryads.

 

The lieutenant sat patiently as they both told their tales. Finishing his story, Flea sat back in his chair. The lieutenant sat with his chin in his hands for what seemed like hours, contemplating everything he had just heard.

 

“You have informed your Queen of what you have found?” He looked at Niseph.

 

“Yes, I have spoken to my mother before coming to warn you.”

 

Flea could see the man visibly cringe upon learning whom he had been speaking with.

 

“Princess.” 

 

The Elf bowed slightly to her. 

 

“Will she allow us access to The Tower now to destroy it?”

 

“Sil, you already know the answer to this question. No one will be allowed near The Tower. We will not break this vow. The powers within The Tower will not fall into anyone’s hands.”

 

BAM!! The lieutenant slammed his fist on the table. 

 

“These two were allowed into The Tower!” He pointed to the two shortest players at the table.

 

“Those two are the reason why we now know that The Master of The Tower has returned and started making Abominations,” Niseph replied with a hint of venom. 

 

“Sil, your brother’s and your fascination with The Tower is the reason why you lost him, yet you still blame the Dryads.”

 

“Bullshit! If you had let us enter and destroy The Tower, Kel would still be on Mea. We would also not have a mass of Abominations under the mountain ready to raze the island!”

 

“You still cling to ‘YOUR’ ways, Sil. We vowed to guard the island and its inhabitants from The Master of The Tower and anyone who would seek to gain the knowledge held within. Your town’s leaders agreed with the pact when it had been struck. It is you who tried to break that pact. Then you banish us from the town when we still hold our side of it.”

 

“Is that true, lieutenant?” One of the guards asked.

 

The entire room was now silent. Everyone was now listening to their conversation. It was no secret the lieutenant had banished the Dryads from returning to town, saying they were protecting The Master of The Tower. What wasn’t known was the pact the Dryads made with the town’s elders all those years ago. Over the centuries, this fact had been lost to the winds.

 

Everyone knew the Fae races would die to enforce their vows and pacts. If what the Dryad at the table had just said was true, nothing the lieutenant could say would change it. 

 

“No! There are no records of the pact with the Dryads in our town’s records. The Dryad states it’s a pact to simply protect their master.”

 

Niseph rose from her seat, glancing around. 

 

“One would think, the effort your lieutenant has put into getting into The Tower over the years, that he seeks the knowledge held within for himself.”

 

The lieutenant jumped from his chair and pulled his sword from its sheath. 

 

“LIES!”

 

Before the two could come to blows, the door to the office slammed open. Two guards more menacing then the lieutenant walked in and stationed themselves at each side of the door. A short Elf Flea had never seen before walked in, slightly leaning on a cane. He had pure white hair that flowed down his back and wore large round glasses.

 

“Why is it Sil, that I’m just now learning of a Dryad walking through our town’s streets again? Then I find out about Abominations to be within the mountain from the town’s gossip.” The older Elf said, ignoring everyone's glances from within the room save for the lieutenant’s.

 

“My apologies, Elder. I wanted to confirm the truth behind the events before I raised any concerns to the Elders.” The lieutenant said as he bowed to him.

 

“Princess,” The Elder said as he bowed slightly to Niseph.

 

She returned the bow. “Elder Loratoris, it’s good to see you still in good health.”

 

“What is happening?” 

 

Niseph explained the events to the Elder.

 

“Is this true? Your sisters have made a pact with our town to guard The Tower all those years ago?”

 

“Yes, Elder.”

 

“Sil, why was this not mentioned after you fought with the Dryads over The Tower all those years ago?”

 

“Elder, I was unaware of any pact the Dryads may have had.”

 

“LIES! My mother told your brother when you came demanding to be let into The Tower. You were there to witness their conversation.”

 

“Don’t spread lies. You attacked us as soon as we got close to The Tower.”

 

“Yes, we attacked you and your brother. Only after we warned you to get no closer.”

 

“Stop! Everyone in the guard, inform your brothers in arms. We will cleanse the mountain of the Abominations! Sil, you will remain here to protect the town. Niseph, please ask your mother for her help. We need to stop this from growing out of control.”

 

“Elder! Please...” The lieutenant started to speak before being cut off by his superior.

 

The Elder reached into his robes and produced three purple chits and a Golden Chit in the palm of his hand. With casual ease, the Elder tossed one to each of the players, the Golden Chit going to Nispeh.

 

“Are you sure of this Elder Loratoris? Would you give a Dryad this chance?”

 

“I would. I believe the other Elders would agree with me on this. Your ascendance will serve as our apology for how the town has treated your kind. Please let your mother know the town of Noto has spent it’s Golden Chit on her daughter in hopes we can unite in defense of this island, and maybe give your kind the second chance it deserves.”

 

Turning his attention to the players, the Elder began to speak.

 

“Take these to the Adventurers’ Guild; they will promote you accordingly. You will be allowed to gather the other adventurers under your leadership to help us wipe out this scourge in our mountain. Please be quick about it. We march on the mountain tomorrow at dawn.” 

 

The four of them left and walked to the Adventurers’ Guild, Flea speaking up once they were far enough away from everyone else on the street.

 

“What happened to Kel, the lieutenant’s brother?”

 

Visibly deflating, Niseph responded. 

 

“My mother summoned a portal and banished Kel to the Demon’s Moon. The two brothers were warned multiple times to stay away from The Tower. Kel kept pushing to be let in.  He kept going on about how he needed to destroy it. When Kel couldn’t be reasoned with anymore, mother summoned the portal, and he was pulled into its depths. Sil just stood and watched from the treeline, never pushing closer. Two days later, we found we were barred from the town. Sil had told the Elders we had killed the leader of the Town Guard. When he did not respawn, the Elders confirmed Sil’s story and barred us.”

 

“Why would Kel need to destroy The Tower? I don’t understand why someone would randomly need to do something like that,” Khorwin chimed in.

 

“I do not know,” Niseph replied.

 

“What’s so special about that Golden Chit you were given?” asked Martina.

 

“The Crystal at the center of every town gives the owner of the town, special items after a time. One of these items is the Golden Chits. These chits allow ‘The Fallen,’ or those races who lose in the games, a chance to rejoin the Adventurers’ Guild. This chit can then be forged into our identification tags, allowing us to rank up and respawn as well. The Golden Chit is a Fallen’s way back into The Games.”

 

“Why would the Crystal give items?” asked Khorwin.

 

“The Crystals are a main part of The Games and help prompt competition.”

 

Arriving at the Adventurers’ Guild, the three players presented their purple chits to Fenix. Upon seeing the purple chits, he jumped up from his seat. 

 

“Wait a moment, please,” Fenix said before darting off and up the stairs.

 

“What do you suppose that’s about?” Martina asked.

 

“Find out soon, I wager,” said Khorwin.

 

Moments later, Fenix came back with an Owl Beastkin in tow. Bending at the waist and bowing, Fenix informed them the Owl was Elder Whoden. The Feline then let the Elder know the three standing there were the ones with the promotion chits.

 

“You three are being promoted; why?”

 

“Four,” Flea responded.

 

“Whooo is the fouuurth?” 

 

The three moved to the side so that the Owl could see Niseph, who held up her Golden Chit.

 

“A Dryad! An adventurer? What is going on here? Tell me at once!” Elder Whoden seemed to be noticeably agitated.

 

“We have confirmed the return of the Abominations. Elder Loratoris had given them to us not twenty minutes ago. We are to gather other adventurers before tomorrow morning. The Town Guard and the Dryads are to march into the mountain to cleanse it of the Abominations,” Flea explained.

 

Elder Whoden turned to Fenix, “Prooomote them, puuut ouuut the noootice, then ring the bell nine times. We muuust gather everyone here. Give them their rewards for reaching Tin as well. They need to be as strooong as they can be for this threat. I will take Nispeh’s Golden Chit and create her tags while yooou do that.”

 

“It shall be done, Elder Whoden,” Fenix said as he bowed.

 

“Tin reward?” The three players said at the same time.

5