2. Checking Out the features
865 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Checking Out the Features-

When Kenshin opened his eyes, he found himself laying on a soft bed. Looking around, he only saw white walls everywhere. There was a window, but the curtains were drawn, covering the view beyond. Only a light sunray was coming from it, indicating that it might be day time.

‘Where is this? Is it a hospital? Somebody rescued me?’ That was the first thought that came to his mind. But before he could rejoice the events before conscious faded came to his mind. He remembered that there was a large hole on his abdomen which was bleeding like a broken faucet. The monkey had clearly done a number on him.

‘There could find no way I can survive something like that! This must be the afterlife! Though, why is it like a hospital?’ Looking around carefully again, he scrapped that idea. It was really a hospital as he could see calendar hanging on the wall opposite to him. He could even see some medicine company advertisement on it. There could no way these advertisements appear all the way in the afterlife, could they?

In the end, he concluded that he was in a hospital, not in any heaven or hell. It seems somebody had rescued him after he had lost his consciousness. For a second he looked delighted and took a deep breath of relief, rejoicing the fact that he wasn’t dead. Then as if remembering something, his happy mood instantly vanished and replaced with a frown.

‘I was really a foolish person to believe that I could survive in a Level 3 dungeon. It was way beyond my capabilities. Dammit! I won't do such a foolish thing again in future…sigh! I should just stick to level 2 dungeons from now on.’ Kenshin vowed in his heart. Then a sad look appeared on his face as he thought about something.

‘Sister, I am sorry. Your brother is just too weak!’ He apologized to his sister for whom he was taking the risk earlier. He and his sister were both orphans with no one to rely on. For the past few years, he was the only emotional support of his sister. After his death, he knew she would feel very sad and miserable.

That day, when he got the news that their parents perished inside a dungeon, he had vowed to never leave his sister’s side again. How can he do such a foolish thing? For the money he lost his reasoning and instead went to sacrifice his life, not realizing that if he died, then there would be no one else to care for his sister, ultimately breaking his vow! Shaking his head, he sighed again as he lamented about his weakness.  

‘Wait a moment!’ He suddenly remembered seeing some floating transparent boxes with gibberish written on them before his consciousness faded. Those boxes looked like what one would see in an RPG-game screen.

Just as he was bout investigate, a ‘click’ sound came from his right. A middle-aged man wearing all white, probably a doctor came inside holding a pad, followed by a few nurses. He had a small goatee and black pockmarks on his face. Although his face looks like a kind doctor, his wretched eyes told another story. Seeing that Kenshin regained his consciousness and now looking at him, a smile appeared on his face.

“You are awake already? And here I thought it would take another couple of days before you completely recover. Well! How are you feeling now?” the overenthusiastic doctor came near him while firing one question after another. While he spoke, his wretched eyes darted all over Kenshin’s body making him even more uncomfortable that he was already.

“Hoo! Look at that relived face! You must have thought that you died, right? Right!” seeing the doctors behavior, Kenshin really wanted to question about this doctor’s morals to those nurses standing behind, but seeing their interesting faces, that looked like they saw a worm or some disgusting creature, he got his answer immediately.

“Thank you for saving me” although he was uncomfortable towards him, Kenshin still thanked the doctor that saved his life. He deserved it.

“You don’t need to thank me, I was just doing my job. Frankly, I have done nothing to receive that gratitude. The one who admitted you to the hospital was someone else. Even after your admittance, your healing factor has done the rest of the job. My contribution only amounts to those bandages on your wounds” hearing the doctor’s words gave Kenshin a considerable shock.

Healing factor!

Since when did he possess one of those?! As far as he was concerned, his only skill was that Replication, whose function he didn’t know. From where did this healing factor appear? It wasn’t the first time he was injured. During his career as a hunter, he had received wounds far too many times to count. Then why didn’t he discovered this supposed healing factor?!

Kenshin’s first conclusion was that this doctor was on weeds. Then he remembered those boxes he saw.

‘Is this related to those boxes I have seen before!’ Kenshin could vaguely remember the contents written on those boxes. Among them was a box noting about him acquiring a passive healing skill.

‘That must be it!’ after guessing the probable origin of his healing factor, the only thing remained was to confirm it.

“I see! Still, thank you for your effort. You said that someone brought me to the hospital, can you tell me who was it?” Kenshin asked as he wanted to thank the person who saved him.

“Why do you want to know?” the doctor’s tone suddenly changed, and he became unusually serious, making Kenshin frown a little. The nurses behind also had their faces changed due to the doctor’s sudden change in behavior, a look exasperation flashed on their pretty faces.

Although Kenshin noticed this, he didn’t comment on it, chucking it to another quirk of this doctor.

“To thank them of course!”

“No, you can’t!” the eccentric doctor denied firmly.  

“Eh! Why?”

“It's our hospital’s rule, so you can’t” the doctor spoke in a firm tone.

“It was miss Yamazaki Aoi” at that time one of the nurses standing behind the doctor spoke with a weird gleam in her eyes.

“Hanae!!” the doctor shouted towards his nurses who ‘betrayed’ him. For a second Kenshin thought that he had misheard it.

“Eh! Yamazaki Aoi! You mean that Yamazaki Aoi!?” for the sake of clarification he asked again, this time with an amazed look on his face.  

“Of course that Yamazaki Aoi, and add a miss before her name!” the doctor who was glaring at the nurse called Hanae, turned around angrily and shouted at Kenshin.

“It turns out my savior is a legendary figure.” Kenshin was very surprised and a little happy. In this world, who doesn’t know about Yamazaki Aoi?! The legendary Hunter, who was born with the only ‘Divine class’ skill in existence! Some even claimed her as God's messenger or something.

Relying on this skill, she became the youngest Hunter ever to have her first Awakening. Her track record was also excellent, with no party member ever dying under her watchful eye, granted those party members were no pushovers. Her down-to-earth personality makes her even more popular among the crowd. She was the idol of many hunters all over the world. Power, money and fame, she got everything a hunter want to possess.

‘But what was she doing inside such a low-level dungeon?’ Kenshin thought while thanking his lucky stars that she was actually inside that dungeon. 

“Man, I was numb for words when I saw her holding a bleeding body in her arms. Boy what did you do to her?” the doctor threw an accusatory glance towards Kenshin.

“Those wounds are from a monster inside the dungeon.” Kenshin defended himself. For the most part, he filtered out this doctor’s nonsense, focusing only on those that he must care.

“Whatever, you should take rest as most of your internal organs were wounded. Normally it would take at least a month to heal. But with your healing factor, I estimate it will take four to five days at most” after that, the doctor left the room along with the nurses leaving Kenshin alone. Not before throwing another glare towards Kenshin.  

‘So I was saved by a legendary figure!’ Kenshin was quite happy hearing this and sighed.

XXX

Since there was no one present inside the room, he decided to think of those boxes. If they were really responsible for him gaining a healing factor, then he must find the results.

After trying and failing various methods for some time, he finally concluded that maybe those boxes were a type of skill. To test his theory, he used the same method as one uses when activating their skills.

[Initialyzing…]

[System starting…10%]

20%...60%...100%

[User Muto Kenshin welcome to Interface V 1.02]

[Please wait while the interface is loading your status…]

[Ding* Load complete]

[Current Status*]

[Muto Kenhin][Human]

[Level 5][1900 EXP for next level up]

[HP 150/150]

[MP 19/19]

[ATK: 25; DEF: 19; AGI: 31; PHY: 15; LUK: 9]

[Unassigned points: 4]

[Lives: 0] 

[Skills]

[1. Replication Lv 1][1000 Exp to next level up]

[2. Passive Regeneration Lv 5][5640 Exp to next level up]

This time Kenshin was not as surprised as he was before.

‘So It was no hallucination!’ Kenshin confirmed his suspicion.

As he skimmed through the blue boxes, he couldn't help but smile wryly. This system, it was really like an old school RPG game. Status, Experience, Skills…everythign was the same as an RPG game window.

Did that mean now his life was a game too?!

He didn’t want to find out the answer.

Towards the top-right corner, he found a small ‘X’ button. Getting curious he pressed it. Suddenly the whole screen turned blank except for four yellow buttons with something written on them.

[Status]

[Inventory]

[Quests]

[Maps]

These four buttons were all self-explanatory. The status button will show his current status while Inventory will take to the storage space available to him. The Quest button will show all his running quests while maps will show his current position.

All these things are pretty common in the game but what about reality? Does it have the same function in reality as in-game?

“Let's check this out!” saying so, Kenshin selected the inventory button.

Sixteen smaller blue boxes appeared within a larger blue box.

“This is my inventory space!” Kenshin became excited. The world had evolved into an old school semi-RPG game. Why? Although there were monsters and dungeons all around, there was no class or status screen for everyone. Naturally, there would be no Inventory.

Every person who played those games knew the advantages of these inventories. That’s why Kenshin was very excited about it.

Now the problem was how to access this storage space? Grabbing a glass from his table, he placed it on one of the empty boxes, but it phased through it without any obstruction.

Physically putting inside was impossible! Another thing was that, unless it was him, no other object could physically touch those boxes. That’s a useful discovery.

Concluding this point he changed his approach.

Pointing his right hand towards the glass, he imagined it going inside his inventory.

“…”

This had also failed! Kenshin was really embarrassed. Time to change his approach again! This time he physically touched the glass as he repeated the previous step. Suddenly the glass vanished with silver flash as a small picture of it formed on one of the boxes.

“So that’s how it is!” Kenshin’s face broke into a grin. He finally learned the correct way to use the inventory. Having enough with the inventory function, he went back again and selected the quest button.

A blank blue screen appeared with some words written on it.

[You currently have 0 active quests]

Seeing that there was nothing else here, he clicked the same red X button and returned to the Home screen.

This time he selected the Maps button.

A large blue window popped up with various lines and graphs. There was a triangle in the middle of the graphs facing upwards. Kenshin guessed this triangle was his position. Basically, this map was the same as a typical GPS map.

“It’s really like an RPG interface!” a thick smile appeared on Kenshin’s face.

If this system works exactly like an RPG game, then it would be very convenient for him. He can’t wait anymore to check out those features.


Hello, Author here. 

If you like my story, please rate it nicely. Also, a review would be nice too. 

you can connect me on discord by using this link- LINK

Thank you~

12