Chapter Twenty-Six – Mantis Man
140 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

image
If you want more to read, consider joining my Patreon! Or check out my other original works:

Stray Cat Strut (A cyberpunk system apocalypse!) - Ongoing
Fluff (A superheroic LitRPG about cute girls doing cute things!) - Ongoing
Love Crafted (Interactive story about an eldritch abomination tentacle-ing things!) - Completed!
Dreamer's Ten-Tea-Cle Café (An insane Crossover about cute people and tentacles) - Hiatus
Cinnamon Bun (A wholesome LitRPG!) - Ongoing
The Agartha Loop (A Magical-Girl drama!) - Volume Two Complete!
Lever Action (A fantasy western with mecha!) - Volume One Complete!
Heart of Dorkness (A wholesome progression fantasy) - Completed!
Dead Tired (A comedy about a Lich in a Wuxia world doing Science!) - Ongoing
Sporemageddon (A fantasy story about a mushroom lover exploding the industrial revolution!) - Now on Yonder!
Past the Redline (A girl goes too fast, then she does it again) - Completed!
Magical Girl Crystal Genocide (Magical Girls accidentally the planet, and then try to fix it) - Completed!
Magical Girl Rending Nightmare (A sequel to Crystal Genocide! Cute girls in a soviet dystopia having a picnic on the roadside) - Ongoing
Noblebright (A shipcore AI works to avenge humanity) - Completed!
The Complicated Love Life of Ivil Antagonist (The Empress of Mars finds love) - Ongoing

Chapter Twenty-Six - Mantis Man

It didn't take too long to find the start of what I supposed was the Mantis Queen's actual territory. The space was cavernous, in the sense that it was like a cavern, not so much that it was large.

We hadn't run into any more of the mantis siblings, but we did find an increasing number of signs that they were around. Bones, for example, littered the darkened corners of the cave system.

"Shame shame shame," Cinder said as she knelt next to a corpse. Or part of a corpse. "This one was a cultivator."

"Oh?" I asked as I wandered over. I was rather well-versed when it came to reading skeletons and other undead, of course. A perk of the job and the unlifestyle, I supposed. I glanced down at the body, inspecting it a little closer.

A leg and an arm were outright missing, and I couldn't tell if they had been taken pre-or-post mortem, but the rest of the body was relatively intact. Judging by the pelvis, this had been a male.

Cinder pointed to the skeleton's legs, then the hands. "See, the breaks?"

"Ah, there's growth around the shin and the knuckles look somewhat deformed," I noted.

Cinder made an affirmative sound, then showed one of her hands. She casually pulled back the guard that she wore over the top of her hand and over her knuckles. Her hands were relatively smooth, but her knuckles had calluses over them that were impossible to disguise. "Cultivators at the lower tiers of their cultivation will often have signs of the stress they go through. As you make breakthroughs, your body improves, removing some of these defects and making you a more powerful person, but some remain. At a guess, this was a cultivator still in the early stages of their development."

I nodded. So, the equivalent of the corpse of a lower-levelled monk. Those always made for fantastic zombies when they still had the musculature. As far as raising skeletons went, none were better than the skeleton of a barbarian, of course. I suspect it has something to do with all of the iron in their diet.

"Interesting. Do you want me to raise them? A one-armed, one legged skeleton would be of little use, but their soul might just have enough left in them to answer a few questions."

Cinder shook her head. "Let them rest," she said as she stood. "Just know that there are threats here capable of challenging a weaker cultivator. This isn't anything we didn't know. Yes yes?"

I nodded along, then gestured to the far end of the cave where it curved a little. "Shall we keep moving?"

There were more bodies as we went. Humans, but also the occasional dwarven skeleton, and plenty of animals. "Those are goats," Belt said. "From the surface of the mountain. They grow like weeds up there."

Well, at least we had an idea of the local's diets. Those in our group with exposed noses started to complain about the stench, and Mem was quick to explain that these tunnels were where the mantises went to defecate when such needs arose. There were a few spaces where natural spring water came out of the walls, and it would carry such matters away with time.

"I hear something ahead," Alex said with ears twitching.

We rounded a corner and came face to face with a mantis. It was short, only about half as tall as Rem, which meant that it only came up to my lower waist at best. The mantis had a pair of buckets tied to its back on a small wooden beam, both were filled with water.

"I-intruders!" it squeaked.

"Hello!" Mem said with a friendly wave from the back of our group. "Mem doesn't recognize you."

The mantis paused on seeing Mem, and even relaxed a little as its eyes shifted and took in Rem. Perhaps it suspected that we weren't intruders after all, not if our group had some of their siblings in it.

Rem scoffed. "That's a disgusting boy, just eat it and let's move on."

"N-no no," the mantis boy said with a wave of his much smaller scythes. "Don't eat me! I'm working. I'm working for the Great and All Powerful Mother. Without me, her Cultivator Stew would remain unwatered and dry!"

"Cultivator stew?" I asked.

The mantis boy stared at me for a moment, uncertain. "It is the stew that mother and the chosen sisters eat."

"Cultivator stew is delicious," Rem said. "It tastes like cultivator."

"Is one of the main ingredients cultivators?" Alex asked.

"Yeah," Rem said. "That's what gives it the taste of cultivator."

"Is your mother in at the moment?" I asked the mantis. "I would very much like to meet with her."

The mantis hesitated. "The Great and All Powerful Queen Mother is in her throne room, as always. We have guests from the Jade Throne as well. Are you with them?"

"No, not at all," I replied. "If that's all, we'll be on our way."

"This is insane," Belt muttered. "We should turn back, before we're added to that stew. I don't want to end my life as a spice or some added meat."

Alex patted the dwarf on the back. "Don't worry, I'm sure it won't come to that."

The young mantis boy scurried to the side, tucking himself against a wall as we passed on by. The caves actually became somewhat cleaner past that. There were more mantises as well. Those who were smaller than Rem and Mem were often doing menial labour of one sort or another. Pushing wet rags across the floor, or handling brooms with more frustration than skill.

They eyed us, but didn't bother us.

Then we were deeper in the Mantis Queen's lair and... well, it seemed as though the Mantis Queen herself had never truly invested in any sort of security apparatus. There were no guards, there were no checkpoints or chokepoints.

The caves grew into large caverns, lit by magical lamps and simple torches fitted into brackets on the walls. The floor was levelled, with several steps here and there which made the floor height vary quite a bit, but that was all. The walls were sometimes craggy stone, sometimes smoothed out, and other times covered in careful brickwork.

And, of course, there were even more mantises about. Some seemed as old as Rem and Mem, but while they often stared at us, sometimes with undisguised hunger, they never stepped up to do anything.

That was, until we reached the far end of this main chamber.

There, a single mantis stood in our path. They were half a head shorter than either Rem or Mem, but they made up for it by having a presence to them that either lacked. This mantis was muscular in a way that our two companions were not. Their arms and legs bulged with barely contained power, and their body was covered in small scars. One of their scythes was broken at the tip, though it looked no less threatening for it.

"Rem, Mem," the mantis said. "And the Harold. The Mother sent you out to kill this one, not to bring it back alive."

I noticed Mem shrinking back, and even Rem looked a little nervous.

"I'm afraid there might have been a fundamental misunderstanding," I said casually. "Though you do have the right of it with my name. I am Harold, who might you be?"

"I'm Man," the mantis said.

Rem leaned forwards. "Man is the only boy mantis that mom has never eaten."

Man the mantis, whose name I wholeheartedly approved of, looked between us all. "Wait... Rem, did you bring enemies into the Mother's home?"

"No," Rem said with a huff. "They brought themselves. Rem has nothing to do with where the stupid skeleton and his stupider maid go."

"Hello," Alex said with a short bow. "I suppose this makes us guests in your home. Could you please inform the lady of the mansion of our arrival?"

Man glared, then rose up, ready to fight. "You will not pass!" he hissed.

I had several options here. My first instinct was to create a Wall of Force in a quadrosphere around our backs, leaving only the entrance into the next part of the cave open. Alex could handle the mantis, and the wall would prevent anything coming in from behind.

But that would leave all of these mantises free to cause all sorts of problems, and frankly, I wasn't very keen on that.

So I chose another option. A first level enchantment rather than a fifth, because the simple answer, while occasionally less amusing, was always the correct answer.

"Sleep," I said and cast.

Across the cavern, mantises slumped to the floor.

The mantis ahead of us froze, then tried to fight the sleep.

He failed and came crashing down. "There you go! Now, onto that mother of yours."

***

Are You Entertained?
 
I've decided that I'll be posting my new story today (if it gets approved!) I've written 33 chapters of it in about a month and a half, which I figure is enough of a backlog to start dumping it onto RR! 
 
Keep an eye open if you enjoy Cinnamon Bun and Pokemon both!
 

Some of my stories are on TopWebFiction!
-Cinnamon Bun
-Stray Cat Strut
-Lever Action
-Dead Tired
-Heart of Dorkness
-Sporemageddon
Voting makes Broccoli smile!


The following books are available as paperbacks (and as Ebooks) on Amazon. Oh, and there’s like, a billion audiobooks of my stuff now!

imageimageimageimageimage

imageimage
(The images are links!)

All proceeds go to funding my addiction to buying art paying for food, rent, and other necessities!

Thank you so much for all your support everyone! And thank you extra hard for allowing me to do this for a living; I’ll do my best to keep you entertained!

9