Chapter Fourteen – Peculiar Path
211 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


If you want more to read, consider joining my Patreon! Or check out my other original works:

Stray Cat Strut (A cyberpunk system apocalypse!) - Ongoing
Fluff (A superheroic LitRPG about cute girls doing cute things!) - Volume Two Complete!
Love Crafted (Interactive story about an eldritch abomination tentacle-ing things!) - Completed!
Dreamer's Ten-Tea-Cle Café (An insane Crossover about cute people and tentacles) - Hiatus
Cinnamon Bun (A wholesome LitRPG!) - Ongoing
The Agartha Loop (A Magical-Girl drama!) - Ongoing
Lever Action (A fantasy western with mecha!) - Volume One Complete!
Heart of Dorkness (A wholesome progression fantasy) - Volume Two Complete!
Dead Tired (A comedy about a Lich in a Wuxia world doing Science!) - Ongoing
Sporemageddon (A fantasy story about a mushroom lover exploding the industrial revolution!) - Now on Yonder!
Past the Redline (A girl goes too fast, then she does it again) - Completed!
Magical Girl Crystal Genocide (Magical Girls accidentally the planet, and then try to fix it) - Complete!
Magical Girl Rending Nightmare (A sequel to Crystal Genocide! Cure girls in a soviet dystopia having a picnic on the roadside) - Launching Jan 1st! 
Noblebright (A shipcore AI works to avenge humanity) - Ongoing
The Complicated Love Life of Ivil Antagonist (The Empress of Mars finds love) - Launching Jan 1st!

Chapter Fourteen - Peculiar Path

"So," I began as we kept up a respectable pace through the more sparse woods near the city. "What sort of wildlife should we expect around here?"

Cinder was the one to answer. She was at the head of our little group, pathfinding through the woods while taking a zig-zagging route. That mostly meant hopping from one flat-topped stone to another, each some three or four necrometres apart and perhaps a necrometre above the ground.

These rock formations were obviously unnatural. Stones didn't just rise out of the ground as stumpy little pillars at more or less even intervals so easily.

Interestingly, these seemed to be acting as a sort of road. With branches heading out to the sides and some stones visible deeper in the woods.

They were relatively well hidden as well, I could only see one or two stones ahead, with no straight path in sight. Instead, most of the stones were placed in such a way that the natural ebb and flow of the hilly landscape hid those further out from view, or they'd be hidden from the side by large, thorn-covered bushes or older trees.

"So close to Shitake City? There's very very very little to worry about. The natural predators in this region are culled frequently. There are snails, as I believe I've mentioned before, but they're relatively slow moving."

"I see. And further out?" I asked.

"Hmm hmm hmm, further out there are more dangerous animals to worry about. Ash wolves come to mind. They are large beasts, the same grey as the ash all around, and they can lie in wait for long hours only to jump out and attack. They fight in packs."

"Rem remembers those," Rem said. "They are large, and bony. The meat they have is tasty. Lots of chi, but there's very little actually meat."

"Bone doggies," Mem said. She sounded rather despondent. "They're not very nice doggies."

"Bone doggies," I repeated. "I presume that they're covered in bones, then? Are they perhaps undead?"

"No no no," Cinder said with a dismissive wave of a sleeve-covered hand. "The ash wolves are living creatures. Though their nature is very... Yin. As are most creatures from the Ashen Forest."

That was a new term that was I wasn't entirely familiar with. I made a mental note to explore that later. "Are they the most dangerous predator in the woods?"

Cinder shook her head. "No. That would be the mantises."

Rem puffed up a little between one jump and the next. "We are the best hunters," she said.

I could actually believe her. Yes, Rem and Mem were both... relatively weak, all things considered, but even the exceptionally impatient Rem was able to hold still for extended periods. And for all that I suspected her Intelligence was a dump stat, she was still able to talk and with some learning read and write.

That placed her and her siblings above the common animal. Being that intelligence made a predator an exceptional threat. It allowed for strategic and tactical thinking. The laying of traps and the outsmarting of foes.

It meant that they could, if pushed, use tools to make the task of hunting their prey that much easier.

"There are other dangerous animals within the forest," Cinder said. "One of the reasons we're travelling via these stepping stones is to avoid disturbing the ash. Some creatures linger beneath the surface and will jump up to assault you. That, and the ash can be deceptively deep in places."

"How deep?" Alex asked.

Cinder actually came to a full stop three stones later. It was a larger platform, more than wide enough to accommodate all of us and jutting out of the side of a hill. She pointed down into the dip in the landscape below. "How far do you think the ground is?" she asked.

Alex glanced over the edge. We were only perhaps half a necrometre away from the surface of the ash. "It doesn't seem so deep."

Cinder chuckled. There was a tree next to the stone plateau we were on. With an easy hop, she leapt up into its branches, then stopped her foot down. The branch cracked, the sharp retort echoing out across the barren landscape before the entire branch came rushing down, dislodging ash from above as it went.

Alex covered his mouth with a handkerchief as she backed away from the edge. The branch crashed down onto the ash... and disappeared below.

"We're on the edge of a gorge," Cinder said as she landed next to us once more. "It's deep deep deep."

I leaned closer to the edge. The large branch had come to a stop some three necrometres deeper than I would have expected. Assuming that it had touched the ground below, which wasn't a sure thing... then there was something like four or five necrometres of ash here. "That's ash-tonishingly deep. Ohoho!"

Cinder chuckled, and I noticed Elder Frost giving me a look that I couldn't quite decipher.

"Places like this are relatively common," Cinder said. "Where the wind isn't strong, or is blocked by the hills and trees, and where there's a dip for ash to settle. They're dangerous for those walking across the Ashen Forest. Naturally hidden pitfalls. But also, places for monsters to lurk."

She pointed just in time for the ash around the tree branch to shift. Something with a large, long mouth, snapped its many teeth into the bark of the branch. It was shaken, and that shaking made more ash fly up into the air and unsettled the rest so that the hole was covered up.

"What was that?" Mem asked.

"Ashligator," Cinder said.

I snorted. Ashligator! Fantastic!

"They're not much of a threat, actually. Slow, territorial, they rarely venture out of the thickest ash. Dangerous, yes, but only for those that don't know where they're going."

"More than one curious visitor to these forests have lost a leg to them," Elder Frost said. "We should keep moving."

I nodded along and followed as we hopped over to the next stone.

"These pillars. Obviously they're not natural..."

"One of my ancestors," Cinder said with some pride.

"My uncle," Elder Frost said. "He was a weak fighter, but a cunning and powerful cultivator all the same. He discovered some magical tricks that allowed him to turn ash into stone. He created a path for us from the edge of the forest to our sect. Then more. Many more."

"Leading to points of interests?" I asked.

Cinder nodded. "Points of interest, and paths that lead nowhere. We actually have outer disciples tasked with travelling across the forest via unused paths, just to ensure that they're still serviceable, and to leave tracks for others to follow."

We were leaving tracks ourselves. Cinder and Elder Frost and Alex were the only ones moving in such a way that they left no footprints. I was, of course, a wizard, not a rogue, so I have little care about stealth. Then again... Rem and Mem's steps only left small points behind, so the shoe-scuffs of my oxfords were the most obvious markers we were leaving in our wake.

I used a bit of prestidigitation on our next step to smooth out the ash behind us.

It was a clever system, actually.

These stones were safer, ostensibly, than walking on the ground, which meant that anyone with a lick of common sense would use these to travel. The stones could be used to mislead people and send them off in the wrong direction because they acted as roads. Someone travelling through the Ashen Forest would want to use these.

But there was another layer to their use. They made the ground seem that much more dangerous, and the forest that much more threatening. It was a simple psychological trick, like providing a tiny sphere of light in the void of darkness. A promise of civility in a sea of danger.

That could easily be turned against someone. Flick off the light, and suddenly the one depending on it would be caught unaware and unprepared.

How hard would it be to tuck a few traps into these stone platforms? A few spells with delayed reactions, the caster hidden in the ash like one of those ashligators?

We continued, keeping an even but quick pace for another couple of hours. Then the stones ran out.

"From here on we walk," Cinder said as she hopped down. The ground puffed up with her step. "We'll be staying on the ridge of a hill. It means we'll be very visible, but the wind sweeps the ash away."

"Fair enough," I said as I stepped down as well. "I imagine we'll reconnect with another similar set of stepping stones further out?"

Cinder blinked, then nodded. "Quite so. Just an hour's walk across the hills. The rest of the stepping stone paths from here lead to areas of the forest which are... unsafe."

"Any other threats we should worry about?" I asked.

"Hmm, you don't breathe, so it's not an issue for you. But we'll be traversing a windy area with fine ash particulate in the air. They'll clog your lungs and leave you for dead if you're not equipped properly."

"Well, that's breath-takingly inconvenient," Alex said.

***

 
Hey!

Dead Tired's audiobook launched today!

You can listen to a sneak-peak here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nam3Ti5uq4E

13