Chapter 7: Wolf Days, part 1
419 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days later, their exam results were finally announced. Sigulf included, everyone was willing to postpone lunch to see it.

“Think you did well?” Alba asked.

“Mm. Pretty positive.”

“Hee… Confident, aren’t ya?” she gave a smug smirk for some reason. “Ah, but don’t get upset if I came up above you, okay?”

Sigulf raised one of his eyebrows at her.

“If.”

“Heheh, don’t worry! You’re in for a surprise.”

They gathered in front of the bulletin board, where the results were displayed through hologram. Of course, Minato and the others were present.

“Hmm, so that’s where I am…”

“Aw man, it’s lower than I hoped…”

Some students reacted accordingly. Sigulf immediately began to look for his name.

‘Alright, let’s see…’

“Ooh!?” another boy exclaimed. “Isn’t he the number one!?”

‘Huh?’

Everyone’s attention instantly shifted to Minato; Sigulf opted to check the board.

‘Ah, they’re right…’

‘Amakawa, Minato’ was shown on top of the list, though no score details were shown.

“As expected from Amakawa!” Walter enthusiastically patted his back, making Minato laugh sheepishly.

“Mm, that’s more like it.” Eurypha nodded, trying not to look too happy. “I know you can do it, Min— Amakawa!”

“Oh, so skilled both in and out of the arena!” Carmen hugged Minato. “What exactly can’t you do, Minato dear?”

“C, Car— Rosales-san!”

“W, what are you two doing in public!?” Eurypha shrieked and tried to pry them away.

“Shut the f— Shut up, you two.” Ilma complained… but not so subtly trying to get her own piece of Minato.

“You’re not one to talk!”

Unsurprisingly, the other boys can only grumble.

“Dammit, no wonder the girls are into him…!” they lamented collectively.

Sigulf sighed at them and put his attention back at the board.

‘If he’s number 1, then…’

His name was displayed right below Minato’s.

“Hmm…”

‘It’s far from a bad result, but I still feel conflicted…’

“Wait, what? You are 2nd?” Alba was a bit surprised. “Then that means—“

‘Hunter, Alba’ came up after ‘Hrimgard, Sigulf.’

“Gah…! How can this be…!? To think I would lose to Siggy…!”

“…I was more surprised on how confident you were.”

“Hey, building some confidence is never a bad thing.”

“Is that how it works?”

“Um, maybe? But still… “

Both of them returned to read the list.

“I don’t think I fought bad…” Alba continued.

“Me neither. But then again, there’s the written exam…”

“Eh? I thought those aren’t that important?”

“Well yeah, but when our fighting skills are about the same, the difference on paper test’s results would matter, however small.”

“…ah, I see.” She realized. “…hm? Wait, but then that means I didn’t really lose to you, right?”

“Eh? Well… If you want to see it like that…”

“Heheh… I see, I see!”

‘She looks so happy…’

“Ah, so there you are. Good afternoon.”

“Hm? Oh, Celina and Chelsea. Good afternoon.”

Sigulf slightly bowed as the usual Council pair approached them.

“Uooh, it’s the President and the VP!” a boy pointed out. “What are they doing here?”

“You idiot, of course they want to see their exam results too.” A girl retorted.

‘Attention grabbing as always. Not that I don’t understand…’

“So, I guess you did well?” Chelsea asked.

“Um, right. It’s all thanks to you two.” Sigulf answered.

“That’s good to hear. Glad to be of help.” Celina chuckled and then gave him a knowing look.

‘Ah…’

Sigulf could notice the faint blush on her cheeks; he knows it’s about their promise. Still, he had to quickly recover from his own reverie.

“Hm? What is it, Siggy?”

“It’s nothing. So, how abou— Oh, right, I probably don’t even need to ask, do I?”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” she let out a jovial giggle. “Well, you’re not wrong, though.”

“So, top two?”

“Top two.”

“I guess that’s to be expected.”

“Why, thank you.” Celina smiled.

‘S, so bright…’

“That said, it’s still not over yet.” Chelsea added. “We secured a good base, figuratively. Now we have to defend it right into the finals.”

“Right, finals…” Sigulf muttered. “And it’s coming in less than two months.”

“Finals, huh…” Alba crossed her hands. “Can I just ignore my studies to focus on dueling?”

“You can’t.” Chelsea lightly chopped Alba’s forehead. “A bit of theory and general knowledge won’t hurt.”

“Ugh, fine, fine…”

“You too, Sigulf.” Celina said. “If you need additional tutoring, please don’t hesitate to ask me.”

“Eh? Oh, um, thank you. I will.”

‘Did she notice…?’

Sigulf took one more glance at the board.

‘Number 2… It went better than I expected, but… Next finals, I must overtake him.’

“Alright, enough about exams, how about we move to the rooftop first?” Chelsea clapped. “We don’t want to let our food gone cold.”

“Oh, you’re right. I almost forgot that I was starving!” Alba agreed.

“Then, shall we?”

“Yeah, let’s go.”

“Meeeeeat!”

“Oi, oi…”

Sigulf continued to chat with the three, trying to ignore the other boys’ stares.

“…maybe we were jealous against the wrong guy?”

“Why not both?”

Another collective groaning from them made Minato confused.

“Eh? What’s with them?”

“…I envy your obliviousness.” Walter sighed.

———

After school, just as Sigulf was done with Council duties, his phone beeps.

‘Message? Who could it be—‘

His eyes widened.

“Sigulf? What’s wrong?”

“Uhh… The Principal asked me to see her.”

Celina narrowed her eyes.

“…she said nothing of such to us.”

‘Nevermind that, the fact that she somehow has my number…!’

“Uh oh, what do you do now, Cel?” Chelsea asked, and for some reason sounded slightly bit excited despite the situation.

“I’m going with him. If he doesn’t mind, that is.”

“Oh, not at all. I think it’s more reassuring that way.”

“Well then…”

———

A knock at the door followed by a muffled “Come in.” signaled Sigulf, Celina, and Chelsea to enter the Principal’s room.

“Excuse us…”

“Ah, it’s you. Please, come in.”

Sigulf observed that Victoria doesn’t seem to mind the Council duo’s presence.

‘I kinda thought she would be slightly surprised or something…’

“Would you like to have some tea?” she continued.

“Oh, thank you, but we just had some earlier.”

“I see… Then—“

Victoria took a step closer.

“Miss Bartram, Miss Kensington, and Mr. Hrimgard. First, allow me to congratulate you in regards of your midterms.”

“Eh? O, oh thank you…”

“Now, since I think it would be better to get straight to the point, I would like to personally reward you for your achievements.”

“By ‘you’, I presume it means Sigulf?” Celina pointed out.

“Precisely.”

‘She doesn’t even deny it!?’ Sigulf mentally retorted.

“Although, I don’t mind indulging both of you, if you want to.” Victoria continued.

“E, eh!? Ah, thank you, but we are good, ahahahahah…” Chelsea laughed uneasily.

“Is that so? Then—“

“I have another question.” Celina raised her hand, still keeping her composure.

“Oh, sure. Go on.”

“May I ask why are you doing this?”

“Why, isn’t it obvious? Because he is special. Just like you two.”

“…”

‘…wait, I shouldn’t be too happy hearing that.’ Sigulf thought to himself. ‘And what kind of excuse is that?’

Celina wasn’t even sure on how to react at this point.

“I can’t believe you…” she sighed. “You are not being subtle at all.”

“Ohoho, I sincerely apologize about that.” Victoria said, still with confidence somehow. “But if I have to be serious, then rest assured. If he said no, then I won’t pursue matters any further.”

“…you don’t have to say that much, Ma’am.”

“Oh my, I thought having a bit more clarity is preferable? Ufufu…”

‘Oh boy, how should I even feel at this situation…?’ Sigulf thought.

“So, how about it?” Victoria asked again. “Do you have something in mind?”

“Umm, well…”

“…Cel, aren’t you going to stop him?” Chelsea said.

“I can only give advice, not dictate him. It’s not really different from how I motivate him.”

“Well yeah, but…”

At this moment, Sigulf wasn’t thinking clear. But he has to. And so, amidst his inner turmoil, he came up with something.

“Do you set limits?”

“Oh, absolutely. Some things are still… Inappropriate at this level, after all.”

‘…I don’t have to imagine that, yeah.’

Sigulf took a deep breath, Celina silently watched him, and Chelsea had become more worried than excited.

‘He couldn’t be asking for a date, right!?’ Chelsea thought, remembering a similar scenario with Celina.

“…alright.” Sigulf finally said. “I’ll take on your offer.”

Chelsea gasped, and maybe a bit over-dramatically.

“And what would it be?”

“Would you mind coaching us during weekends? Or at least whenever you have spare time.”

Silence. A slight surprise on Celina and Chelsea. And then a soft chuckle from Victoria’s lips.

“Ufufufufu… I see. So that’s what you wanted… If these two ladies don’t mind, then sure.”

“Eh? Seriously? Umm, what do you think?” Chelsea turned to Celina.

“I have no objections here.” She responded, and this time, with much less tension for some reason.

“Well, if Cel doesn’t mind, then I’m okay too, I guess.”

“Then it’s decided.” Victoria smiled. “But are you sure you want me to teach you? I’m a busy woman; I might not be able to show up on occasion.”

“It’s alright.” Sigulf nodded. “Every knowledge counts.”

“Ah, that’s good to hear. Then you don’t mind if I go all out, do you? I might be scarier than Lady Bartram—“

“Thank you for your concern, Ma’am,” Celina interrupted. “But I assure you both of us are well-adapted to my dear mother’s regiment. And Sigulf here is a special fast-learner, so I’m sure he will be fine.”

Sigulf looked at Chelsea in a slight confusion.

“Let’s just say that Auntie is scary…” she laughed wryly.

‘Hee…’

“My, I guess that’s expected from this Academy’s finest. Ufufufufu…”

“Oh no, Ma’am. You flatter me. Ahahahahah…”

Laughing they may be, Celina and Victoria couldn’t quite hide their brewing rivalry.

‘Heavy… Women’s loves are heavy…’ Sigulf thought.

Chelsea gently elbowed him.

“Don’t get too happy by yourself there.”

“Ngh…”

———

Excusing themselves, the three finally heads back to the dorm.

“Well, it went alright. But I’m still surprised that you accepted.” Chelsea mentioned.

“Her vices notwithstanding, she is still an outstanding fighter in her own right. It will be a good experience for us too.” Celina answered.

“That might be, but is it really necessary? Especially for Sigulf.”

“Hm? Me? Well, I don’t really know either…”

“…what? Then why did you—“

“It’s just that my target doesn’t stop at Amakawa. Or Alba. Or that Ashfield guy.”

“Eh?”

Sigulf turned around to face them.

“I want to surpass you two, too.”

“…I see.” Celina closed her eyes and smiled.

“You don’t look surprised at all.” Chelsea commented.

“I figured that might be the reason. Not that he’s hiding it.”

“…you sure trust him so much.”

“Trust him…”

Celina gazed at Sigulf’s face, making him blush a bit.

”For the most part, yes.”

“Most part?”

She said nothing and approached the boy, before pinching and pulling his cheeks, though not too forceful.

“Fweh!?”

“Seriously, you…”

“W, what are you two doing?” Chelsea questioned.

“I wonder too…”

She finally lets go and rubs his cheek as some sort of consolation.

“I’m sorry about that.”

“Eh? O, oh, sure. It didn’t hurt, anyway…”

“I see… Then let’s go back…”

“Yeah…”

Celina quickly walked away with Sigulf following not long after.

“E, eh? Wait, what’s going on? Hey, wait, you two!”

Sigulf wished he could pinpoint exactly and tell the catching up Chelsea. One thing that he’s certain, though, is that Celina was blushing madly and she’s futilely fighting it back.

14