Prologue, part 2
2.2k 11 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Sigulf reached the main square, it was already crowded enough that he has no choice but to climb the nearest, sturdiest-looking tree. Luckily, it wasn’t that far from the duel itself.

Meanwhile, on the center of attention, Eurypha predictably looked furious, itching to summon her rapier already. On the other hand, the Japanese boy looked uncertain.

“Must we really do this? I, I mean, I’m really sorry—“

“Silence! I was looking to overlook your earlier impudence, but you… You… Walked in just like that…!! There’s no way I’ll forgive you!!”

“So she said.” A slightly bigger boy with a spiky hair said. He seems to be the unofficial judge for this duel. “A’ight, now before long, let’s get started, shall we? Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus! Versuuuuuus… Uhh, what’s your name again?”

“Amakawa. Minato Amakawa.”

“Minato Amakawa! Now your oaths—“

“No need for that! Let’s just start already!” Eurypha barked impatiently.

“Ooh, scary. Well, you heard her. Now, get ready—“

With the boy’s cue, Eurypha calms down a bit. She closed her eyes and began chanting. Blaze-like red aura formed around her.

“O Flames of the Goddess, overwhelm my foes and blaze my path to victory! Dance, Eos!!”

As the flaming red aura dissipates, a crimson, ornate rapier materialized in Eurypha’s right hand. The audience was particularly impressed by the display.

‘Flame, huh.’ Sigulf mused. ‘So it’s the matter of who strike first harder. As for him…’

Minato however was seems to be in awe.

“Beautiful…” was all he said.

“H, huh!? W, what are you saying, you idiot!? J, just hurry up and summon your weapon already!!”

“Eeh!? But it’s true! That was a beautiful summoning! I can’t help but to be moved!”

Short silence falls before Eurypha screeched, “Aaaargh! Just get on it already!”

The judge is trying to suppress his snicker, “C’mon, dude. You don’t wanna waste the time.”

Minato sighed, “Right, I’m sorry. Well then…”

He then closed his eyes and began chanting as well. This time, though, instead of visible aura, it’s as if he summoned a gust of wind.

‘Could it be…?’ Sigulf thought.

“Descending from the Heavens to join the Earth, be the power beyond victory! Lend me your everything, Sky Fencer!”

In his right hand, a longsword materialized. It was bigger than the norm, yet compact enough to be wielded one-hand. Still, the crowd was somehow underwhelmed, while Eurypha didn’t say a word.

‘Non-elemental… In other words, no counter-affinity against the other. No obvious strength nor weakness. This is down to pure skill then…’

The two fell silent, staring intensely at each other, until—

“FIGHT!!”

Without any hesitation, Eurypha quickly lunged towards Minato. She’s clearly the faster of the two, and within the blink of eye, she already launched a series of thrusts.

“Take this!!”

Barely reacted in time, Minato managed to block her attacks.

“What!? Kh…!”

Eurypha jumped away to evade Minato’s counter; as fast as his attacks are, Eurypha’s footwork is still even quicker.

“My turn, then!” Minato charged, raised his sword, and swung with such a force. Again, she managed to dodge, yet there’s no time to return the attack either.

‘He’s fast!’ Eurypha thought. ‘But, I can’t keep dodging like this! I have to make an opening somehow…!’

Swing after swing, Minato still hasn’t managed to hit Eurypha, until—

“There!” Minato swung horizontally, aiming for her legs. But…

“No, you’re not!” Eurypha jumped towards Minato and aimed her kick towards his chest, only to be blocked with his free hand at the last minute.

“Guh…!”

Using his arm, Eurypha bounced back, and once again charged with her relentless thrusts.

‘Right… I shouldn’t back off earlier. Just keep attacking and don’t give him a chance to rest!’

Metal clanging fills the air as Minato once again forced to go defensive.

‘Good! Keep the pressure, tire him out, and then—‘

Eurypha took a small sidestep all of a sudden, before launching a powerful single thrust.

“THERE!!”

“!!”

Again, Minato evaded at the last moment.

‘He managed to dodge that too!?’

Eurypha brakes and turned around. Her attack merely grazed his left arm; the damage was clearly minimal. Even worse, she then realized that somehow Minato managed to get few of her hair strands.

‘He did it in such tight window! How—‘

“Minato Amakawa…! Who are you, really?”

“I’m just normal boy…? I mean, I was—“

‘No, you aren’t. There’s no way an ordinary guy could move like that.’ Sigulf mentally chimed. At the very least, he must have done some training in kendo.

“Also, Princess…”

“P, Princess!? Who are you calling Princess, y-you idiot!?”

“Eh!? Sorry, I thought you are one… A, anyways, I’m really sorry for… What happened this morning. And… I’m sorry I didn’t give my everything from the beginning.”

“So you did look down on me.”

“No! It’s just… I don’t want to accidentally hurt anyone. But it seems my worry was for naught. You are indeed strong. And I… I want to win. Just like everyone, I want to be the best!”

The last statement caught everyone’s attention, Sigulf included.

“Hmph, fair enough.” Eurypha replied. “I’ll confess as well, that I didn’t give my everything. I thought I could knock you down in one strike like everyone else. But here you are, still standing before me. So, Minato Amakawa! I’ll strike with all my might! And in return, show me everything what you have!”

“Princess… Thank you!”

“…why are you thanking me? A, and stop calling me Princess, i-idiot!”

Eurypha returned to her stance while Minato changed his. Holding his sword with both his hands, the Sky Fencer suddenly starts to glow.

‘This is…’

Some of the mechanical parts detached and then slides outwards, making it looks bigger than before.

“Have at you!”

“I won’t lose!”

Both Minato and Eurypha steeled themselves to clash once again when—

“Stop it right there, both of you!!”

A loud man’s voice boomed from the other side. There, a blonde man clad in uniform stands with his arms crossed. Clearly he’s displeased with the sight before him.

“Crap, it’s the T!” the unofficial judge gasped.

“It’s not even the first day, and you already fighting among each other? You’ll have plenty of time for it during the next 3 years, don’t worry. But now is NOT the time!!”
Everyone went dead silent.

“Everybody clear? Good. Now, go back to your previous business. Amakawa, Hestianus, I’ll be seeing you soon at the faculty office. And you, the white hair from the tree! Stay right there.”

‘He noticed? Shit, I hope it’s nothing big…’

Finally the gathering crowds soon dispersed, mostly dissatisfied with what happened. Minato and Eurypha went towards the faculty, half-heartedly. Now it’s only Sigulf and the blonde teacher. The teacher approached him.

“Is there something you need, Sir?”

“Hmm…” the man didn’t reply as he simply eyed Sigulf.

“Uhh, Sir?” Sigulf getting a bit uncomfortable.

“I presume you are Hrimgard?” the teacher finally replied.

“How— Oh, I see. Master did say something about this…”

“Oh? Would you tell me then, what did she said?”

‘Well shit. There’s no way I’m gonna tell that Master called him “cute”. True, he’s a bit young for a teacher, but still. I don’t really understand women…’

“She said she got a good friend there. His name is—“

“Eliot Fortier. I see. A ‘good friend’, huh.” Eliot’s expression shifted slightly, though Sigulf couldn’t really read the meaning.

“Sir Fortier?”

“Ah, it’s nothing. If you have the chance, give her my… Regards.”

“Oh, sure. Anything else, Sir?”

“Oh, I forgot. I won’t punish you, just like the other spectators… Just for this time. Otherwise, you better report if things like this happened again. Are we clear?”

‘He’s back to business…’

“…yes, Sir. I’m sorry.”

“Good, now you’re free. Dismissed!”

Finally parting from Eliot, Sigulf sighed out of relief.

‘That was mentally tiring… And now I’m not sleepy anymore.’ Sigulf checked his clock and then his surrounding.

‘I still got plenty of time, huh. Well, let’s tire myself out in the entertainment area, then.’

27