Chapter 4, part 4
517 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following day, at the practice session…

‘As expected we couldn’t really come to an agreement…’ Sigulf thought as he observed his classmates. ‘Well then…’

“Guys, guys!”

“Yes?”

“Why don’t we use this?” he suggested while pointing to his own Organizer.

“The Randomizer, duh!” Alba slapped her forehead upon realization. “Yeah, Sir Fortier used that too. So let’s—“

“I refuse.” Mei suddenly interrupted.

“What? Why?”

“One must be able to assert and see their view and stance goes through without relying on so-called luck!”

“Err… Well, OK, but I thought luck is also a part of our ‘skill’ as a Duelist?”

“…you just wanted to say that.”

“I’m afraid I must agree with him, Mei-dono.” Reika responded.

“Gununununu… But didn’t your practice yesterday felt lacking?”

“Hmm… True, I would like to train more with Minato-dono, but at this situation, I believe choosing the fairest method would be the best option de gozaru.”

“Ugh…”

“…so no more complaints?”

“Yes, fine by me.” Minato said.

“Seriously, someone should’ve thought about it in the first place.” Sigulf sighed while starting the Randomizer. “I guess we’re all too gung-ho to fight each other…”

“Ahahah, now that you mentioned it…”

Beep!

“Alright, let’s see who’s with who…”

———

They split and head to any unoccupied spots upon getting the results.

“Mi, Minato-dono! I, I’m looking forward to today’s practice too!” Reika stammered nervously.

“You don’t have to be that tense…” Minato responded with a wry laugh.

Of course, not everyone was pleased with it.

“Her again!?” Eurypha expressed her displeasure. “And why must I end up with you!?”

“I could say the same thing!” Carmen shot back. “…hm? Wait a minute, this could be a good chance…”

“For what?”

“To settle once and for all who’s the better suitor for Minato!”

“Bring it on! …w, wait, t, this should be who’s better among us! N, not about him!”

“…did they forget that this is supposed to be warm-up practice?” Walter commented. “And, maaan… Why do I have to get stuck with a guy?”

Anil didn’t say anything and simply tilted his head in mild confusion.

Nearby, Yuu is facing Ilma.

“Umm, I’m looking forward to today’s practice.” He slightly bowed.

“Good for you, huh?” she sarcastically quips. “You can get back at me for yesterday.”

“Huh? What did you do again?”

There was a slight pause.

“…you don’t remember?”

“Err… Kannomine-san saying things?”

“Tch, that’s it. I’m going to carve you real good.”

“Wait, why are you getting angry!?”

Not far from them, Alba and Mei are doing some light stretches.

“Oh, so I get to fight Miss Highlander here. This gonna be interesting!”

“You… If you keep treating me like some extra, you’ll regret it later! I AM the better duelist!”

“Oi, oi…” Sigulf retorted from the other side, though Alba didn’t catch it.

As for him, he got paired with Misha.

“U, umm, please take good care of me…”

Sigulf turned his focus back to Misha but he said nothing and merely stared.

“…e, excuse me, is something the matter?”

He got an unshakable feeling of suspicion, but…

“…sorry, it’s nothing. Let’s get started.”

“A, alright…”

‘This guy is scary!’ Misha thought.

———

Just like yesterday, there were no disturbances around the school grounds, making Sigulf’s duty a bit easier. Yuu too, was practicing as hard in the same spot.

‘He’s really into it…’

Before he got noticed, Sigulf wordlessly left the area.

———

And so on the next day’s training session…

“So, are we going to use the Randomizer again?” Eurypha asked.

“About that, please go on without me.” Sigulf said.

“Huh? Why’s that?”

“I’m sparring with Yuu today.”

There was a short pause before Alba and Mei reacted with “”Eeeh!?””

“…what? What’s with that reaction?”

“I don’t understand!” Mei quickly retorted. “Don’t you want to test your strength against someone from across the sea? Are you running away?”

“Of course not. It’s just—“

“Then spar with me!” Alba interrupted. “We’re teammates, right?”

“Err… What if I say I just wanted to help a friend?”

“”…huh?””

“S, Sig-kun…”

Sigulf doesn’t know whether Yuu was genuinely being touched or exaggerating it. Probably a bit of both.

“…then what’s the point of suggesting random pairs in the first place?”

“Because we can’t even come to an agreement last time?”

“So you’re saying he’s already agreed?”

“Wha— Aren’t you?” Sigulf turned to Yuu.

“Ehh, I’d rather spar with girls…” he responded.

“Oi, oi…”

“But, accepting a friend’s goodwill is never a bad thing, so why not?”

“…so he said.”

“Sorry, Alba-san!”

“Muuu…” Alba wanted to protest.

“Sheesh… Oh well, it can’t be helped…” Mei sighed.

“Why are you so eager on fighting me anyway?”

“What, you don’t want a good fight?”

“I do, but I thought you all aimed for him?” Sigulf motioned towards Minato.

“Well true, we’re hyped upon hearing son of the famed Sanada is here…” she glanced at him for a while. “But, naah, I’d rather fight you.”

“…no, seriously, but why?”

“Because I like you. I like your attitude.”

“Wha—“

The group, but especially Sigulf himself and Alba, were surprised at her declaration. Of course everyone else on the room got their interest pulled as well.

“C, could this be…!?” one of them gushed.

“…y, you sure can say those with a straight face.”

“…wait, why are you stammering?”

“M, Mei-dono…” Reika interrupted. “I believe that sounded almost like a love confession…”

If anything, though, Mei looked more annoyed than embarrassed after a short silence.

“Tch, people nowadays… Talk about lack of romance…”

‘So she’s talking about ‘that’ kind of romance, huh… But still…’

“Anyways, we gotta begin.” Sigulf said. “Can’t stand and chat here all day. Catch ya later.”

“Ah right, I almost forget!” Eurypha realized. “Come on, let’s begin! Whose PO are we going to use?”

Sigulf didn’t bother to hear the rest of it as he prepares himself to spar with Yuu.

“Hey, Sig-kun. You don’t mind if I get a little serious here, right?”

“Not at all. Show me what you got.”

“Heheh, gladly!”

Back to the other side, the group has finally decided the pairs for today. In a slight twist of irony, Minato end up facing Mei.

“Pleased to train with you!” he bowed.

“Oh, after Miss Highlander, now I get to fight Sanada’s son himself!” she mused. “Heh, maybe I’ll end up facing Dog Boy after all?”

Nearby is the pair of Alba and Carmen.

“Don’t look so sad.” The redhead suddenly said.

“Huh?”

Carmen leaned a bit and whispered, “I know how you feel. But don’t worry, I’m rooting for you!”

“Wha, what are you getting at!?”

“Ufufufufu… Well, with that out of the way, I guess this is a good chance to gauge the Class Heroine’s strength!”

“…right, you’re a duelist too.”

“Of course. And I won’t be content as long as I remain the number two!”

“Rosales… Alright, let’s go!”

Besides them, Ilma stares coldly at Misha.

“W, what is it?”

“I don’t like you.”

“E, eeh!? B, but, I— What did I—“

“That way of talking irritates me.”

“Ah…”

Misha looks shocked for a while, but quickly regained composure, and unexpectedly wears a serious expression.

“Y, you know…! If I put my mind on it, even I too…!”

“Oh, nice.” She grinned. “Slightly less annoying.”

‘I’m not scared…! I must stop getting scared!’ Misha thought.

Not far from them, Reika looks displeased as her partner turns out to be Walter.

“…please don’t look at me like that. It hurts…” he lamented.

And finally, Eurypha can only stare awkwardly towards Anil.

“…”

The boy clearly pays no attention and simply waits for the practice, but that’s not the case with her.

‘Uugh… I’m not good at dealing with silent-types like this…’

10