Chapter 4, part 5
551 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After class, on his last day of patrol squad trial period, Sigulf made one small detour before they call it a day and heading to the usual café.

“Eh? Where are you going?” Laine asked.

“Going to get a friend.”

And sure enough, he went to the place where Yuu trained.

“There you are.”

“Ah, I see it was you after all.”

“You noticed, huh?”

“Not quite.” Yuu answered. “I knew someone was watching, but I was too absorbed in my practice. I only figured it was you when you offered to spar together.”

“I see. Sorry I can’t help that much.”

“Naah, it’s cool. I know you’re busy. So, why are you here?”

“Oh, right. Wanna grab some food? You know, like last week.”

“Hee, what’s gotten into you, being nice like this?” he grinned. “You wanted some love advice or something?”

“That wasn’t— …wait, you can?”

“Hey, who do you think I am? At least I understand girls better than you!”

“…yeah, can’t deny that.”

“Oh wait, who am I kidding? You already had some success, so why would I help you?”

“…”

“Ah, I almost forgot. Do you mind if I ask a… Weird question?”

“Hm?”

“Since both of you work for the Council, do you have any idea why Hiltunen-san was angry yesterday?”

“…yeah, that’s a strange one. I have no idea. Isn’t she always like that? What happened?”

“I think she straight up wants to kill me at yesterday’s practice…”

“…I can only say train harder and good luck, then.”

———

Not long after, Sigulf and Yuu arrived outside the café, where they see Celina and Chelsea seemingly waiting for someone. Just like before, Chelsea gasped upon noticing the two boys together.

‘…what does she see, anyway?’

“Oh, it’s you two. Good afternoon.” Celina greeted.

“Good afternoon. Where are the others?”

“They are already inside.”

“Eh!? Oh, um, sorry for running late…”

“Ah, don’t worry, that’s not what I meant. Everyone arrived a bit earlier.” She explained. “I just feel like waiting for you.”

Of course this earned both Sigulf and Chelsea’s surprise.

“I, I see… Thank you.”

Yuu snickered and nudged him with his elbow.

“Well then, let’s go inside, shall we?” Celina invited, apparently oblivious with the situation.

———

Entering the café, Sigulf recognized some of the unusual guests on the table.

“Yo, Hrimgard. You don’t mind if we crashed your party, right?” Mei greeted him.

“Oh, you got invited too?”

“Minato-dono did!” Reika added. “As expected, Minato-dono is magnanimous indeed!”

“Ahahah, it’s nothing big. I just did what felt right.” He bashfully replied, earning the ire of his groupies.

“But it is commendable, showing hospitality even though we’re supposed to be rivals.” Kouji complimented.

“Well… I simply think it’s normal to be accommodating…”

‘…right, at this point we don’t really look like competing against each other.’ Sigulf thought while scratching his head. ‘Ah, well. Let’s sit down first.’

It seems there’s no lucky seat for him like last week, so he occupies the remaining one next to Lindorm.

“Oh…”

…only to realize that Celina is sitting across him.

She smiled at him; Sigulf returned it sheepishly. Obviously, this doesn’t escape Mei and few others’ attention.

“Hoo…”

———

After everyone’s orders arrived, Celina stood up with her glass raised, followed by Chelsea and the rest.

“For our new Council members…”

“And for our guests from Pacific…!” Chelsea added.

“Cheers!”

“””Cheers!”””

Everyone exchanged toasts with each other, while Kouji was particularly amused by the warm reception.

“Brother.” Lindorm offered his glass to Sigulf. “Skal.”

“Skal.”

The Nordics lightly bumped their glass together before downing their drink.

“What do you have?” Laine asked Lindorm from across the table.

“Apple juice-honey mix.”

“Ah, right. Real mead substitute.”

“It will do. For now…”

“Yeah, we don’t want you to overdrink and get drunk.” She reminded.

“…I won’t.”

Sigulf was a bit humored by their exchange.

‘I wonder whether they are always like that…’

Sigulf was about to focus on his own food, but the dish across him caught his curiosity.

‘So much meat…’

Doubly so because the one eating it was Celina.

‘…still kind of unexpected after all this time. Guess I’ll have to agree with Chelsea about— Wait, stop.’

“Hm? Is something the matter?”

“Ah, no, I was just wondering what you are having.”

“Oh, this? Beef Wellington. Roast beef covered in pastry, to put it simply.” Celina explained. “Want to try some?”

Sigulf, and for some reason, Chelsea and Alba, were surprised at her offer.

“May I?”

“If you would share me your cod, then sure.”

“Of course, then—“

“Cel, wait…!”

“Wha, what?”

Chelsea quickly interrupted and made Celina pause with a bit of shock… only to realize that she and Sigulf simply traded food the normal way.

“…ah, it’s nothing, ahahahahah…”

“…what’s with you? Are you alright?”

Alba was silent for a while before she suddenly gulped down her drink.

“Wait, Alba, don’t drink like that…!” Chelsea reprimanded her.

“Siggy!” she ignored her. “Trade foods with me too, will ya?”

“Huh? Well, I don’t mind…”

And predictably, both Yuu and Mei are the ones who reacted to the scene, snickering all the while.

“Eh? What happened?” Minato asked.

“Oh boy…” Mei tries to hold herself back. “Are you guys always like this? You sure your teamwork won’t fall apart?”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that.” Chelsea quickly responded. “If anything, think of it as our way to strengthen bonds. Ohohoho~”

‘…no, it wasn’t’ Sigulf mentally retorted. ‘And what’s with that fake laugh!?’

“Ah-hem, but in all seriousness,” Eurypha picked up. “When things come to push, rest assured. You’ll have the fight of your life you seek… And then some.”

‘Whoa, she got fired up.’

“Hee, I see… Then I’ll take your word for it, Olympia’s daughter.”

“Not just Olympia’s daughter! I am Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus!”

“…I know, I know. Why is your name so long anyways?”

“Mei-dono, I believe there are people with even longer names in this world.” Reika corrected.

“…yeah, I can’t imagine.”

————

An hour passed, and the Pacifics, along with the non-Councils, excused themselves earlier.

“Thank you for inviting us.” Kouji slightly bowed. “If by any chance you come to visit us in the future, we’ll make sure to repay this.”

“But don’t think we’ll go easy on you when it comes to dueling.” Mei added, earning a wry laughter from him.

“Later, Sig-kun! Invite me again next time!” Yuu said. Sigulf simply return it with a nod.

“Hey, hey, don’t forget me!” Alba joined. “Partners, right?”

“…you should’ve been honest and joined us from the beginning.”

“U, uu… I, it was too late for that! Besides, we still have offday practice!”

Yuu’s mood quickly soured; Sigulf can only hope it was in jest.

“…riajuu go explode.”

“W, what?”

“Aah, it’s nothing!” he quickly reverts to his smiling façade. “See you tomorrow!”

“…right.”

Sigulf noticed Walter followed suit; he didn’t really get what he talked with Minato, but chances are that he asked to be invited again too, which predictably displeases Minato’s groupies.

“Well then, we’ll take our leave.” Kouji said.

“Take care, everyone!” Chelsea responded, seeing them left the café.

“Alright, now, let us talk about Council matters.” Celina continued. “I’m sure you’re all aware about the stricter work division from now on.”

“Yeah.”

“So, let’s start with the Patrol and Scout team. What would you say about them?”

“Hmm…” Laine seems to be thinking for a moment. “I’d say… Wolfhead here is more aware, while Casanova and his harem are more reactive.”

“Ca, Casanova?”

“Ha, harem!? We—“

‘…that could mean anything.’ Sigulf thought, ignoring their shock.

“I see… Thank you.”

“So, uhh, how about your side, Prez?”

“About t—“

“Well, Sigulf is focused for sure. On the other hand, having even more helping hand doesn’t hurt at all, right?”

“Eh?”

There was an awkward silence as Chelsea suddenly interrupted Celina.

‘I knew she’d say something like that…!’

“…a, ah, I’m sorry. Did you want to say something?”

“…no, it’s a bit similar to what you have just said.”

“I, I see…”

Again, the air went uneasy.

“U, umm…” Eurypha spoke up while trying to defuse the tension. “Just a reminder that wherever he goes, we must stay around him to prevent accidents.”

“You won’t ever let go of that, will you!?” Minato protested.

“As if we can let you roam around unguarded!”

“Are you sure you simply wanted to keep an eye on him?” Carmen teased.

“W, what!? I, it’s not like I have ulterior motives like you!”

“But I have none of that, though? I mean, I do want the better for this Academy while getting more… intimate with him.”

“E, eeeeeeeh!?”

“Why you…!!”

“Ahem… I’m glad you’re being open with us, but please don’t go overboard.” Celina notified her while being a bit red.

“Yes, Ma’am~” she replied cheerfully with a salute.

“Guuuh… Why is this allowed…?” Eurypha growled.

‘…I’m a bit jealous of her, able to be honest like that.’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“Anyways, returning to topic at hand,” Celina resumed. “Considering your inputs, I guess it’s better if we use a more direct approach.”

“Eh? What do you mean?”

“Sigulf, Minato. What do you want to do?”

“I’d rather help with the paperwork.”

“I prefer to go outside. Maybe some people will need help?”

“”!?””

The boys were surprised at the same time and looked at each other. It’s possibly the first time Sigulf doesn’t feel any animosity towards Minato whatsoever.

“…that was fast.” Chelsea commented.

“Then it’s decided.” Celina smiled.

“Eh!?”

“Aah, now that you think about it, scouting needs more members after all.” Laine agreed. “And since he’s one package with his girls…”

“Right. About paperworks, while I think we can manage on our own, since the Principal and Chelsea kind of insisted to get a helping hand, that means we’ll be having him.”

“…”

“Oh, but in case our workload for the day is really light, then I suppose it’s alright if I send you to help the Patrol?” she continued, now facing Sigulf.

He’s a bit surprised, but accepted it nonetheless.

“Sure, I don’t mind.”

“Very good. Any questions?”

“Ma’am, is it starting tomorrow?” Eurypha asked.

“That’s right… We’ll make it effective starting next week, but if you want to, you can begin working on your assigned posts earlier.”

“I see… I think it’s not a problem.”

“Anything else?”

There were no answers. Sigulf, meanwhile, stole a glance towards Chelsea, and even though he can’t read her expression, he could smell a bit of displeasure.

“Well then, I guess that’s for today. Thank you for coming. You’re all dismissed.”

“””Thank you, Ma’am!”””

Everyone stood from their seats and prepares to leave. Carmen quickly flirts with Minato, igniting Eurypha and Ilma’s anger like usual. Meanwhile, Lindorm taps Sigulf’s shoulder as he and Laine passes by.

“Good luck.”

“Eh? Ah, thank you.”

He kind of has an idea about what he meant, but decided to not follow it through. Turning around to give Celina a slight bow, Sigulf then exited the café.

———

Few minutes later, the Council duo was the last to leave. On their way to the dorm…

“Celina, wait…!”

“Yes?”

The blonde turns around to see her brunette best friend.

“…”

But as soon as she saw her face, Chelsea can’t form any words.

“What’s the matter?”

“Ah, it’s nothing after all. Don’t worry!”

“…you’re strange today.”

“I—“

Chelsea was speechless for a moment.

“…yeah, I guess I am. Ahahah…”

“Is it something you can’t tell me?”

Another pause.

“…unfortunately, yeah. I’m sorry.”

“If you say so…” Celina turns away. “Then I will not meddle any further. Let’s go back. We still have class tomorrow.”

“Celina… Right!”

She happily skipped her way and caught up with her.

‘Sheesh… You could be unexpectedly kind in the strange places. This is why I can’t really leave you alone.’

11