Chapter 4, part 12
493 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the standing went to an equal, thanks to Minato’s efforts, both sides were equally anxious, considering the next duel would be deciding, and it could go either way.

“…hm?”

Sigulf was lightly stretching when he noticed a very familiar presence approaching.

“Passing through, excuse me…!”

He knew that voice well, and his guess was confirmed when said person appeared.

“Whew… Did I make it on time?”

“Eh, Master?”

Sigulf’s surprise was echoed by the rest of the group.

“Yo!”

“That was fast. Did you teleport or something?”

“What? I was already on the Liner when Eliot told me. I mean, I’m going to visit anyway, so might as well left earlier.”

“…oh, right. Why didn’t I think of that?”

“Well, that’s that, aaand,” Vigdis turned her attention to the Council duo, Alba, and Eliot. “Heya. Doing well?”

“We are, thank you very much.” Celina respectfully replied. Chelsea and Alba followed with a slight bow.

“You sure it’s okay to leave?” Eliot asked back. “The folks back in your village I mean.”

“Now, now,” Melanie, who was watching with the rest of the other staff, joined them. “Shouldn’t you be happy that she’s here, Elly?”

“…don’t call me that.”

Vigdis laughed before continuing, “It’s alright, it’s alright. I told them already. And, well… They thought it would be better if I stay longer here with you two, so…”

“About your legs, huh…” Sigulf concluded.

Meanwhile, the others were surprised, with varying degrees and reason.

“Eh? That’s Hrimgard-kun’s master? So young.” Minato said.

“She’s… Nothing like him…” Ilma commented.

“Did she just address Sir Fortier casually?” Eurypha asked.

“Well, so I wasn’t wrong to consider you lucky, right, Sig-kun?” Yuu snickered.

“Oi, oi…”

“…wait, does this means you have decided on who’s going last, Sir Fortier?” Eurypha realized.

“Touche. So you noticed.”

The students went silent, and the air got a bit heavy.

“Eh? What, what?” Vigdis asked obliviously.

“I’m guessing you considered the Gallowglass to face them?” Eurypha continued.

Sigulf kind of figured what she’s going at, but he decided to listen for a while.

“I suppose there’s nothing to hide, so, yes.” Eliot answered bluntly.

“On one hand, I believe you did make your judgement based on our performance these three weeks.” Eurypha said. “On the other… Wouldn’t you give us a chance to prove ourselves?”

‘Just as I thought…’

“Are you up to that? Remember that we can’t send Minato anymore, and I noticed that there’s always some distance between your and their groups.”

“That’s…”

“What, so there are small groups after all…” Melanie sighed. “Even though you are class mates…”

“Well, it’s not unusual, but I’ll think of it later.” Eliot responded before facing Sigulf. “As for now… Are you ready to go?”

“Umm, about that, Sir… I have someone else on my mind to be my partner.”

Sigulf sudden suggestion surprised everyone, especially Alba.

“Eeeeeeh!? You’re casting me aside!?”

“Nothing that dramatic, you know…”

Eliot took a glance at the Pacific’s side before saying, “I think I have an idea on who you are suggesting. That said, you do know our situation, right?”

“…I know. I’ll take responsibility.”

“Those words are heavy, Hrimgard.”

“I’d say let him, Fortier.” Victoria suddenly said, joining the circle.

“Ah, you are…” Vigdis realized.

“Nice to meet you, Miss Hrimgard.” She greeted. “Let’s have a nice chat after all this. As for this matter…”

“Ma’am, are you sure?”

“Why not? It’s more… Youthful and dramatic that way.”

‘So that’s her reason…’ Everyone thought in unison.

“…well, it can’t be helped.” Eliot sighed. “Get yourselves ready.”

“Thank you, Sir!” Sigulf saluted. “Yuu, let’s go!”

“Whoa, it was Kanzaki?” Walter and some others were surprised. “…and you don’t seem surprised at all.”

“Well, I must return some favor.” Yuu replied.

“Oh, when you fell down from some empty punch?” Ilma sneered.

“…uwaa, how mean. I might end up winning and look cool in your eyes later, you know?”

“…as if.”

“You idiot! If he lost, then so does our school!” Eurypha hissed.

Ilma was about to snap back, but then realized she’s right.

“…paska.”

“So, cheer for me too, okay, Hiltunen-san?”

“…disgusting.”

“…how cold.”

“Err, we can’t have you get depressed here, Yuu.” Sigulf said before turning to Victoria. “Ma’am, thank you for the jacket.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Wait, you let her warm your shoulders with her jacket?” Vigdis asked in slight panic. “What have you done?”

“Oh my, was that some words of disapproval?”

“We… Definitely need to talk later, Ms. Stark.” Vigdis said while faking a smile.

Both Sigulf and Celina can only sigh.

“I’ll… Be going then.”

“Ah, right. Sigulf, please wait a minute.”

“Huh?”

Celina stopped him and took out a small container. She opened the lid and Sigulf could see what appears to be blue paint or gel.

“Is that…”

“War paint. Think of it as a lucky charm.”

“Umm, I don’t even know whether my ancestors wore them or not…”

“…so you don’t need it?”

“…I don’t mind actually. So, please.”

Celina chuckled and was about to apply the paint, when Alba suddenly joined them.

“Hey, let me do it too!”

“Oi, oi, don’t draw anything strange.”

“I won’t, sheesh!”

“Fufu, so how would you like it?”

“A stripe beneath my eyes, I guess?”

“Hold still then.”

Carefully, Celina and Alba spread the blue paint the way Sigulf wanted.

“There, it’s done. Looking good.”

“Ah, thank you.”

“I can’t believe you abandoned the Gallowglass, even though you look like one now…”

Sigulf sighed again, while Celina giggled.

“Lucky boy, are you done yet?” Yuu called him.

“…yeah, let’s go.”

Sigulf was about to turn around, but stopped when Celina shoved her knuckle to his chest.

“Celina…?”

“…win this, Sigulf. Win this, for yourself.”

The boy stood still, grasping the meaning behind her words. He knew they had a promise, but…

‘It’s not just about that… It’s about things that come after. I must think way beyond.’

“I will…!”

———

Mei and Reika stopped talking to each other when they noticed Sigulf and Yuu have entered the area.

“Took you long enough.” Mei said. “Nice paint, by the way.”

“Sorry about that. And thanks…”

“…that’s your master? I expected someone older.”

“Not the first time I hear that.”

Meanwhile, the atmosphere between Yuu and Reika was decidedly heavier.

“Kanzaki-dono…”

“We get to actually fight at last, Kannomine-san. I’ll have you retract those words before…!”

“I can feel that you did polish yourself to some degree. However…! I shall judge you myself whether you can back those up, de gozaru!”

‘How dramatic…’ Sigulf mentally commented.

“By the way, Reika, have we decided on a team name yet?” Mei asked.

“…I forgot, no.”

“…so do we.” Sigulf added.

“Way to defuse the tension…” Walter groaned, which is echoed by the others.

“You have any ideas?” Mei asked again.

“Err… Wait… Considering our homelands… How about Imperial Dragons?”

“Eeh, I don’t really like dragons…”

“Then what do you want to be!?”

“I prefer wolves… What do wolves and dragons have in common?”

“…nothing? Wait, wait… Tails…? Claws… Fangs…”

“Ah, Imperial Fangs it is.”

“…well, that’s not bad actually.”

“Alright, Wen Mei and Reika Kannomine, Team Imperial Fangs, ready to fight!”

“…so they say. How about us, Sig-kun?”

“…Arctic Thunder.”

“Hee, simple but makes sense. Where did you get it?”

“A metal album from a century ago or so.”

“…never thought you like hard music. Color me surprised.”

“I see you have made your mind.” Eliot said from across the field, before turning his attention to Kouji. “Sorry about the delay.”

“It’s alright.” He laughed. “It’s more fun this way.”

“Very well… System!”

“Affirmative. Final match, tag team. Imperial Fangs versus Arctic Thunder. Please get your preparations ready.”

“Whoooo! Finally!” Walter cheered along with the other students.

“Mei! Reika! Do your best!” Misha did the same from the other side.

“Now the only thing remains is for him to prove himself…” Celina stated.

“You can do it, boy…” Vigdis added.

“Siggy! Yuu! I’ll smash you two flat if you lose!” Alba encouraged in her own way.

On the other hand, Eurypha, Carmen and Ilma were less enthusiastic.

“I hope Sir Fortier’s intuition was right.” Eurypha said. “Else…”

“True. I have no beef against him, but we can’t keep watching from the sidelines.” Carmen agreed.

“Pretty loud cheering you got.” Mei commented. “Too bad, I’ll have to disappoint them. There could be only one wolf!”

“And that would be me.” Sigulf countered. “I’ll show you how a Nordic wolf fights!”

“Show me what you have, Kanzaki-dono!” Reika challenged. “Allow me to judge your worth!”

“No need to.” Yuu retorted. “I’ll just defeat you so you won’t bother my peaceful school life anytime soon!”

11