Chapter 5, part 4
482 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next early morning, on the usual training hill…

“Teyah!!”

“Gh…!”

‘Feels like she’s stronger than usual…!’

“What’s the matter, Siggy!? You can’t keep defending all day!”

“Tch…! Well then, how about this!?”

Sigulf and Alba are sparring ferociously against each other, with Celina and Chelsea watching from the sidelines.

“Wow, I see she’s on fire today!” Celina commented.

“That… And preeetty sure she has pent-up frustrations on her own too, which immensely helped.” Chelsea added.

“Eh? What do you mean?”

———

Minutes later, both pair has already finished their share of mock duel. Still, there are no signs of calling it a day anytime soon.

“So you wanted to improve on your team fighting skills?” Celina asked.

“Yes. Would you have any advice about that?”

“Hmm… As much as we’d like to help, I think it would be better if we try and practice it ourselves…” she said, while turning to Chelsea. “Come to think of it… We haven’t actually had the chance to do some tag duel trainings, have we?”

“Now that you mentioned it…”

“What have we been doing? Even though we’re trying to hold a tag tournament this autumn…” Celina laughed wryly.

“Yeah, that’s not good at all…” Chelsea sighed in agreement.

“…well, in any case, the closest thing I have to an advice is, you’ll need an even higher awareness and then some more.”

“Awareness, huh?”

“Right. When you are fighting a tag duel, you’ll also need to pay attention to your other opponent, which is obviously harder because single duels don’t need them. By then, you’ll be able to decide whether to focus on your current opponent, or to disengage and aid your partner.”

“Hmm, I see…”

“Of course you must also consider your partner’s capabilities, as well as whether they are having an advantageous match-up or not. …having said that, I guess the problem back then wasn’t about you and Kanzaki’s skills, though.”

“Eh? Well yeah, Yuu is a good duelist. …if he’s getting into it, that is.” Sigulf responded. “And so, what is?”

“The same thing goes for us too. We all simply aren’t used to tag duels.”

“That… Sounds incredibly simple.”

“It is. But think about it. We are all already used to normal duels, to simply focus on one and one opponent alone, so much that our bodies reacted without even thinking. So when we finally are forced to divide our attention…”

“Our usual fighting style kind of falters… Isn’t it?”

“Precisely. So, want to practice it?” Celina offered, twirling her great spear once. “You can still go, right?”

“You sure are fired up for this…” Chelsea commented.

“Mustn’t we?”

“That, and actually practicing it by doing is the best bet, after all.” Sigulf said.

“It’s decided, then!” she smiled. “Alright, so how should we divide the teams? 1st-year vs. 2nd-year?”

“…already a high hurdle, huh? But if it’ll help me grow, then—“

“Wait, no, maybe you’re right. It’s not a good idea to jump start that much.” Celina corrected herself. “I think it would be more beneficial if we take it slower. How about we mix-up the teams?”

“Hm? Then how should we assign who’s with who?” Chelsea asked.

“Right… Should we decide based on our skills?”

“As the number 2, it hurts to hear that…”

“Wait, that wasn’t—“

“It’s a joke! …well, mostly.”

“…”

“A, anyways, that means I get to pair with the better one among you two, right? Which means—”

“Me.”

“Me!”

“”!?””

Predictably, Sigulf and Alba raised their hand at the same time, before ending up staring daggers at each other.

“That’s quite the claim, Siggy! You do know that I’m still here!” Alba said.

“Even though I ranked higher than you on the entrance exams?” Sigulf retorted.

“And that’s just that! Maybe Sir Fortier picked you last time because you actually needed a push?” she grinned.

“Wha— How would you even know about that!? Nevermind the fact that we haven’t actually fought each other!”

“You two…” Chelsea sighed.

“Well, that just means they are enthusiastic…” Celina giggled.

“So, any other ideas for the team making?”

“Hmm… Then how about the reach of our Arms?”

“…ah, does that means—“

“That’s right. Each of us here has both shorter- and longer-ranged Arms. I think it would be more balanced to have both on each team while mixing the years.”

‘! Wait, wait, wait, this can only mean—’

“Sooo… You go with Sigulf, and I’m with Alba?” Chelsea concluded.

“Yes, something along that line.”

“Well, okay then. Alba, let’s do our best!”

‘Hmm?’

Sigulf’s mild confusion was mirrored by Alba’s wariness towards Chelsea.

“Eh? What’s with that look? Did I say something wrong?”

“No… It’s just… You’d usually be clingier…” she pointed out.

“Ooh, that… Well, I stopped because you don’t seem to like it.”

“Eh!? Well, err…”

“Oh? What’s this? Do you miss getting glomped, after all?”

“N, no, no, no! I’m good! Come on, let’s get ourselves prepared first!”

“Alright, alright! Sheesh, you poor little girl…”

‘…’

Sigulf glanced towards them, but couldn’t really come up with anything, so he dismissed the thought and decided to focus on his newfound team with Celina.

“Looks like I’ll be in your care today.” Celina said, smiling.

“Umm, isn’t it the other way around?”

“Oh, but you do have an experience in tag duels before.”

“Well, yeah, but…”

“Ufufu, don’t worry. You can do it. Let’s do our best and watch each other’s backs, shall we?”

“That sounds just right… Yeah, sure. I’ll give it my all!”

From across the field, Alba and Chelsea watched the pair interact.

“Uwaa, just look at him, grinning widely like that in happiness…” Alba commented. “He’s ridiculously simple-minded…”

“…a, ahahahahah. He certainly is…”

‘I’m still worried about Celina, but… I guess this is how you will take it, Alba?’

———

Around the middle, both teams have already finished their preparation and waits for the final cue.

“300 seconds as usual. Ready?” Celina announced. “…Go!!”

Immediately rushing towards each other, Alba braced herself… as her expected impact with Sigulf didn’t happen.

“Wha—“

Sigulf zoomed past her and goes straight for Chelsea, pushing her back.

“Guh…!?”

“Alba, focus!”

“!?”

She instinctively reacted and blocked Celina’s spear in the nick of time.

“…sorry!”

Sigulf, on the other hand, has already begun trading strikes with Chelsea.

“Tough defence as usual…!”

“Fufu, regretted your decision to take me on? Wouldn’t it be easier for you to engage Alba instead?”

“Maybe… But first, I’m taking your reach into consideration. And the second… Your speed. Can’t ever hope to match mine!”

Chelsea smiled, though not out of pure amusement.

“Well, aren’t you cheeky? But let’s see if it’s enough to get through my defence!”

Meanwhile, Celina and Alba have already clashed steel as well.

“I see that’s the judgment he took.” Celina commented while delivering a heavy thrust. “Usually he would just come straight at you.”

“Yeah, I was a bit surprised about that…!” Alba replied, and retaliated with a powerful swing.

“Still, this is a good chance. Come to think of it, we barely talked, let alone sparred, with each other, do we?”

Alba paused for a moment, before she slowly began to grin.

“Yeah, right… This is a good chance indeed!”

Her sudden attack forced Celina to guard.

“That’s the spirit! Well then, prepare yourself!”

‘…still, I don’t really get the faint feeling of hostility, though.’

———

When their sparring session came to an end, both Sigulf and Alba are on the ground, trying to catch some breath.

“…are you alright?” Celina asked in worry.

“I’ll manage…” Sigulf answered. “…I think.”

‘Did I even learn anything new today? I did bail out and switched target, but…’

“Why are you so adamant on facing me?” Chelsea sighed. “Overestimating yourself is bad, you know?”

“Sorry, I’ll be more careful next time… It’s just… I can’t keep fighting Alba all the time.”

“What, are you saying sparring against me has no benefits?” the girl in question retorted.

“That’s not what I’m saying… Variation, remember? We get to see each other every day, but not with them.”

“My apologies. I wish there’s something we can do about the schedule…”

“Ah, no, it’s alright. It can’t be helped, anyway…”

“Hmm, you’re sweeter with her after all, compared with your own tag partner…” Alba pointed out.

“Eh?”

“O, oi…!”

“Did you already come up with a team name?”

“Wha— T, there’s no way—“

“Umm, how about ‘Raven’s Banner’? You know, just like—“

“You don’t have to answer that!” Chelsea quickly reacted and cut Celina off.

“O, oh, sorry…?”

“A, anyways!” Sigulf spoke up. “We’re done here, right? Should we call it a day?”

“Right, let’s wrap this up. Everyone, good job for today! Don’t forget to get enough rest!”

Standing up, Sigulf glanced at Alba. She smirked in response.

“What?” she asked, feigning innocence.

“…nah, forget it.”

———

Relaxing in his room after a nice bath, a knock on his door forced him to get up.

‘Who could it be?’

He opened the door to see his master, waiting.

“Hey!”

“Oh, Master. Morning. Dropping by again?”

“Actually, not really. You just took a bath, right? Good timing!”

“Huh? For what?”

“Let’s go out and get some new clothes!”

“…what?”

“It’s for you! You can’t keep wearing band T-shirts for your date!”

Sigulf instantly went red.

“We haven’t even gone that far! And what’s wrong with band tees?”

“Hush, hush, then more the reason to prepare earlier. And the effort counts. You might want to look a little bit… Umm, fancier? Anyways, you have 5 minutes.”

“…seriously?”

“Come on, don’t look at me like that. I’ll buy you something else! Okay? You want something?”

“I…” Sigulf sighed. “I don’t need any. Just let me get changed first.”

“Yaaay! A date with my boy!”

“Don’t say things like that out loud…!” he screeched. “And I can’t change while you’re still here!”

“What? You mean I don’t get to watch?”

“Of course not!”

“Aww, too bad… I want to see how much—”

“E, enough… Just wait outside…”

14