Chapter 5, part 6
493 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Last Monday of the month rolls in, and Sigulf prepares for the morning with a renewed vigor.

“…alright! Let’s do our best this week too!” he spoke to his reflection in the mirror.

His fulfilling weekend, and the solo practice session in the automaton center energized him. With light steps, Sigulf exited his room and expecting the fine days ahead.

———

Except when he did reach the road, Sigulf could feel some of the other students stared at him not in a friendly way, giving him a bit of déjà vu.

‘…whatever I did again?’

At first he tried to chalk it because he did go out with Celina, but then again…

‘…no, felt like it was more than that.’

———

And even then, in the class when Eliot congratulated their victory, Sigulf couldn’t shake off the feeling.

‘I knew it…’

“Sig-kun, what’s the matter?” Yuu asked, noticing him being tense.

“…no, it’s nothing.”

———

On the lunch break, Sigulf asked the Council duo and Alba whether they know anything.

“People have been looking funny at you again?” Chelsea reiterated.

“Now that you mentioned it… It kinda felt like that.” Alba mentioned.

“Well, I haven’t heard anything from Laine and Lindorm, but…Isn’t it obviously because you went on a date with Celina?”

“…if only that’s the actual sole reason.”

“So you can brag?”

“Wha— It doesn’t even cross my mind! And how could you come up with that anyway?”

In spite of Sigulf and Chelsea’s silly little argument, Celina opted to stay silent, partially to hide her embarrassment, and partially because she seemed to be thinking of something.

———

On to mock duel session, and as there are still 3 pairs left, Sigulf have to watch from the sidelines, making him even more conscious with some of the hostile gazes.

“…”

“I think I figured it out. But… Maybe you kinda deserved it.” Yuu said.

“…huh? What?”

“Oh, don’t feign innocence, Sig-kun. News already spread that you went on a date with Bartram-senpai. It’s already a crime against humanity.”

“…you’re exaggerating. And that can’t be the reason, can it?” Sigulf sighed. “That said… Shit, I forgot to check the board. Did they post about it there?”

“Wha— So it’s true!?”

“Sshhh! …so they posted something or what?”

“Actually, no. But words flew fast, people doesn’t need it in the first place. Still… Sig-kun, you traitor.”

“…from what?”

“From the ‘Cool but Courtless Club’.”

“That’s rich, coming from you.”

“Come on, after Smirnov-kun came and left, the girls have been gushing about him…” Yuu lamented.

“I, I see… Sorry to hear that.”

“…well, putting the partial joke aside, I do think it’s not the main reason. But it’s still could be used as an additional fuel. You better be careful.”

“…I see. Thanks, Yuu.”

“Eh, it’s nothing. So, what kind of magic did you use to charm her, exactly?”

“…it’s not as simple as it looks. And no magic involved.”

———

Fortunately, the afterschool Council hours proved to be the much-needed break for Sigulf, as their members didn’t share the animosity, and all of them were more focused on working towards the Autumn Tag Tournament.

‘So I think it’s limited among fellow 1st-years… But for now, let’s concentrate on Council duties.’

And thanks to it went without a hitch, the members were able to wrap up earlier.

“Okay, should we regroup with Laine’s team now? Or… Would you rather have a tea time first like usual?” Chelsea asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry, but I think I will pass. There’s something I wanted to look at the library.” Celina replied.

“What!? The milktea lover declines a teatime!? Unthinkable!”

“…w, what? I believe I don’t give such a strong impression.”

“Well, kind of. So, what are you looking?”

“Some information and references about tag dueling. You two want to come along?”

“Eh?” Sigulf was slightly surprised by her invitation. “I don’t mind, but is it alright with you?”

“Aren’t you the one wanting to study more about it?”

“…so I take it as an okay.”

“Because it is.” Celina laughed. “How about you then, Chel?”

“Eh!? Me!?”

“Why not?”

“Well, umm…”

Chelsea hesitated, and for good reason; Celina looks visibly confused, less so with Sigulf.

“Mmmaybe not today, I don’t feel like hitting some books, so…”

“I see—“

“Anyways! I have to go, Laine’s team might have something to report. Enjoy yourselves!”

“Ah, Chelsea, wait! …she left.”

“…yeah.”

Silence, and Sigulf began to feel uncomfortable.

‘…damn, that much? She’s avoiding us…’

“So, that leaves you and me.” Celina chuckled wryly.

“Ah, right.”

“It can’t be helped, I guess. Let’s go, then.”

———

Quickly leaving the school grounds, Chelsea sighed to no one in particular.

‘It’s hard to stop her when she looked that happy…’

———

Having finally reached the library, it was eerily quiet, even more than the hallways. As Sigulf and Celina entered, only the school librarian remained.

“I’m kinda amazed they still keep physical books.” he commented.

“A backup or two won’t hurt. And there’s the special sensation when you flipped the actual pages…”

“Special sensation, huh… So you think we’ll find something related to tag duels?”

“Must be. While it is true that tag duels are not quite the norm and often thought to be not the most prestigious, it is nowhere near a rare occurrence.”

“Hmm, I see…”

“…ah, should be around here. Let’s take a look.”

Following her lead, Sigulf began looking for the books as well. Even so, he couldn’t help but to steal some glances on her.

‘She’s really dedicated, even went to look for additional info for tag duels, but…’

Her hair swayed slightly as she shifted position. Celina was too busy searching to notice Sigulf’s glance.

‘She could’ve done this on her own, so why me? Does she—‘

He quickly shook his head.

‘…no, you wish, Sigulf. Don’t be stupid. Stop staring and move your hands already!’

Though feeling a bit disheartened, Sigulf decided to concentrate on book searching for now.

———

..or so he thought, but as soon as they gathered the books and started studying…

“Hmm, we should keep this in mind and try it on our next practice. Oh, how about this one?”

“U, umm…”

‘S, so close, so happy… But so dangerous…!’

“Sigulf?”

“Y, yes!?”

“Are you lis— …ah.”

(Un)fortunately for him, Celina quickly realized the situation and took a bit of distance, being red faced in the process.

“…m, my apologies. I’m still not tactful enough when it comes to matters like this…”

“I, it’s fine. A, anyways! Can we continue…?”

“Y, you’re right. Let’s not waste any more time.”

———

Their heart throbbing study session goes on for a while until they have to leave the school grounds as per the rules. The sky has already painted with an orange shade, and the two walks side by side on their way home.

‘It wasn’t bad… In many meanings. But more importantly, I feel less agitated compared to this morning. So she—‘

“Sigulf.” Celina suddenly called him and cut his thoughts.

“Yes?”

“Are you… Really worried about the 1st-years’ hostility?”

Sigulf stopped walking at her question.

“Eh… Ah… Yeah, if only because I feel it would be troublesome later.” he answered, a bit unsure. “So, umm… Our library visit just now, is it—“

“Admittedly, yes.” She answered. “Partially, at least. On the other hand, I do want to improve our tag duel knowledge. …I hope that didn’t bother you?”

“Ah, no, not at all. I’m grateful, actually.”

‘That, and… Well, no students here in their right mind would challenge her out of the blue and hoping to win.’

“Good to hear. But still…”

Celina took a step closer towards him.

“I know I did say to you that you should tell me whenever you need help, but… I think that won’t be enough now.”

“Hm? What do you mean?”

“Sigulf!” she suddenly exclaimed and grabbed his hands, making him blush. “If anything happens, then fear not! I shall protect you!”

“…e, eh?”

“Ah…!”

‘W, w, what did she say just now!? I mean, okay, she looked very cool at that moment— No, no, no! This is not the time for—‘

“I, I’m sorry!” Celina quickly jumped away, predictably embarrassed at her own impulse. “B, by the Gods! W, what has just gotten into me!? Ah, p, please don’t take it the wrong way! I didn’t mean to—“

“N, no, no, no! It’s okay!” Sigulf interrupted and reassured the stammering Celina. “I mean, uhh… I’m not mad at your intention, it’s just…”

‘…calm yourself down first.’ He mentally reprimanded himself.

Pausing for a moment, Sigulf took a deep breath before continuing, “It’s alright. I’ll be fine. Especially when it comes to one-on-one. I won’t lose.”

“Sigulf…”

‘Ah, just now, he looks so—‘

“Celina?”

She snapped out from her stupor due to his voice, and doing her best to hide her blush which began to creep.

“…yes, you’re right. You’re strong, after all.” Celina agreed with a warm smile. “…but when it comes to one against many, then it’s whole another story, right?”

“Ahahah, well… You got me there.”

“Fufufu, I wanted to try all the new tag knowledge in actual duels too.”

———

And thus the day ends peacefully for both of them. The night shifted into the next sunrise, and Sigulf was hoping today would lessen the hostile air among the 1st-years.

“…”

Too bad it didn’t come to pass as Sigulf found his way to the class blocked by some students near the front gate.

‘Nidhoggr damn it… Already?’

“Sigulf Hrimgard.” One of the students addressed him.

‘…yeah, strong déjà vu.’

“…what is it?”

“I’ll make this short. On behalf of the other students, I challenge you to a duel!”

11