Chapter 5, part 7
445 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though surrounded, Sigulf focused his attention somewhere else.

‘Where’s Amakawa and his groupies? I thought they were— Ah, there they are.’

In the distance, he saw Eurypha arguing with some students blocking their way. Minato obviously supported her, less so with Carmen, and Ilma merely yawned out of boredom.

‘…well, at least I know some of them tried.’

“So, what’s your answer?” the boy interrupted his thought.

“I refuse.” Sigulf quickly retorted, earning overly dramatic gasps from the other students.

“…well, I figured you would say that. So you think we aren’t worth your time?”

“…I didn’t even think that far. I just don’t see why.”

“I see… Well, it’s true that we were on the same side regarding the nobles. But things have changed now. And do you really need a reason, as a duelist?”

“As much as I enjoy a good fight, I’d like it better when it’s well-spirited. Didn’t feel so coming from you.”

The boy exhaled, slightly exasperated, but decided to stay calm.

“I heard Norsemen doesn’t take kindly to insults. Do I have to insult you first before you agree?”

“So I hear. But I think it’s more of the Aesir and maybe Vanir’s way. I honor Fenrir, remember?”

“…an outsider even within your own community, I see.”

“Well, something like that.”

The students began to feel anxious as Sigulf haven’t budged at all; clearly he’d rather get into the classroom before the bell rings.

“Besides,” Sigulf continued. “Did you say ‘on behalf of the students’?”

“Huh? Yes, I did. What about it?”

“Did you decide that on your own or… Are you the strongest among them?”

“…”

The students began talking among themselves.

“Hey, he’s right!” another boy protested. “What makes you think you’re our leader!?”

“What!? It was my idea! And no one challenged him in the first place!”

‘Eh, it worked…?’

Their argument began to escalate, and Sigulf eagerly waits for an opening.

“Well, yeah! But that doesn’t automatically make you better than the rest of us!”

“Ugh, you guys…! Then what do you want!?”

“I suggest you sort it out among yourself by dueling.” Sigulf suddenly said while raising his hand. The students instantly went silent and looked at him.

‘…shit, did I just blow my chance?’

“That… Actually makes sense.”

“Yeah, it is! Enough chit-chat and I’ll show you who’s the better one!”

‘Oh, praise Loki.’

The students summoned their Arms and prepared to fight each other, giving Sigulf some needed chance to get away.

“I’ll be the one to defeat Hrimgard on other’s behalf!” the second boy proclaimed. “I… I won’t forgive him for making a move on our Council President!”

‘…well of course someone gonna bring that up.’

“Are you stupid!?” the first boy countered. “You intend to fight him with that excuse!?”

“Oh, speak for yourself! Didn’t you get depressed upon hearing the news!?”

“I, it was temporary! Our main purpose here is to fight; everything else comes second!”

‘Oh well, let’s get away while I can.’

Sneakily but surely, Sigulf took some distance towards the school building… Until someone stepped out from the crowd and blocked his way, again.

“Hey. Where are you going?”

A gray-haired Japanese girl, wearing a long scarf that nearly covered her mouth, stood in his way.

“…Big Sis?”

“…w, what?”

“There…!”

“What the—!? I won’t let you!”

Despite the initial confusion, the girl still managed to react fast enough and prevented Sigulf from passing through.

“Ah, that was close…”

“…did you seriously think I would fall to that?”

“You’re right. It’s not like I’d suddenly have a long lost Asian relative or something.”

‘…that, and she’s actually kinda fast.’

“Hmph, don’t put me on the same level as them.”

“So you’re the one inciting those guys.”

“I’ll leave it to your imagination. Although…” the girl turned her attention towards the mild chaos which is the duels between some 1st-years. “I know angry mobs tend to be unreliable, but not to this extent…”

‘…yeah, can’t really disagree with that.’

“Well, whatever.” She continued. “Now I’m here, and there’s nowhere to run. Fight me.”

“Damn, why are you guys so persistent about this…” Sigulf sighed. “We’re all running late by each second, you know?”

“…and that’s where you are worried? Must be nice being the Academy’s golden boy.”

Sigulf paused for a moment before narrowing his eyes.

“I think I can see what’s all this about…”

“Ah, you caught on. Very nice. So I guess you understand too that you stand out, and being the Faculty’s favorite.”

For a while, Sigulf wasn’t sure on how to respond.

“What can I say? Or do, for that matter.”

“…you’re right, actions and skill speaks louder after all. Nothing you can say. Absolutely nothing you should say. So stand your ground, and fight me! So I can show that the A-class elites are nothing to be afraid of!”

“…you’re serious about this.”

“Anything for glory, Hrimgard-san.” She emphasized the honorifics, in an almost mocking tone.

He can feel her intent, sharp like numerous blades about to pierce, ready to summon her Arms anytime soon.

‘…can I talk my way out here? Let’s just try this one…’

“Really!?” Sigulf suddenly shouted on purpose. “Another duel request this early!? I’ll be late for class!”

“What are you—“

At his yelling, the other 1st-years who were fighting each other promptly stopped and turned to her direction.

“Fukube, what is the meaning of this!? Are you planning to steal the glory since the beginning!?”

“!? Hrimgard, you…!!”

Sigulf merely shrugged before walked easily past her. Behind him, the mob finally reached Fukube and complained, beginning their argument.

“What are you doing, jumping the gun like that!?”

“I ask you back: why are you fighting among yourselves?”

However they will continue was no concern of Sigulf.

‘Man, couldn’t they at least ask for it after school?’ he thought slightly tiredly. ‘It’s THE free time for everyone. …hm?’

Realizing someone else’s gaze at him, Sigulf stopped walking.

‘He…’

Silvery long hair and equally chilling blue eyes. It seems the boy was watching from afar before shifting his attention to Sigulf.

“…”

“…”

“…Big Brother?”

“…no, I’m not.”

“Yeah, I thought so.”

———

For some reason, though, the boy said nothing after that, making Sigulf mildly wondering as he decided to enter the classroom. And due to the morning’s incident, the hostile students seemed to shift their attention towards Fukube instead, giving him a bit of breather.

“Tch, so you got away…” Alba grumbled while enjoying her own lunch.

“Wha— You was there all along?”

“Yup. Too bad it went nowhere. It was a bit funny.” She gave a cheeky grin.

“Why you…”

“So that’s what actually going on…” Celina joined. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there. If only—“

“Eh, no, well… I’m fine, at least, so it’s okay.” Sigulf quickly reassured. “More importantly, how about you two? Did they do anything?”

“No, we only heard about the commotion, but…”

“Now, now, Cel, no need to be so hard to yourself.” Chelsea said. “The boy himself said he’s alright; that’s what important for now.”

“But… Hmmh…”

Celina still looked unconvinced and unsatisfied, apparently thinking of something.

‘She’s so serious… I wonder what she has on her mind…’

———

After class, Sigulf was preparing to leave the room when suddenly he could hear the corridor outside became a bit louder.

‘Huh? What the… Wait, don’t tell me—‘

And sure enough, Celina appeared on the door and waved at him.

‘She actually came all the way here…’ he thought, while waving in return bashfully.

Predictably, most boys in the class were outraged, but Sigulf ignored them, and quickly scrambled to Celina.

“I hope I didn’t bother you.” She said.

“A, ah, it’s alright. I appreciate it, actually.”

“Good to hear. Well then, let’s go. We still have some work to do.”

“I’m in your care.”

The boys’ lament intensified as Sigulf left together with Celina. And even though for different reason, Minato’s group was somewhat surprised by what they just saw, almost forgetting that they were supposed to go patrolling.

“It’s not like they are going out… Are they?” Eurypha asked.

“Hmm… No, but it’s not entirely impossible either.” Carmen answered.

“Seriously?” Ilma responded in disbelief. “But… Huh, kinda makes sense. Admittedly, none of them are as thick-skulled…”

“Aah, right. Why are some men either ridiculously dense or indecisive…”

“I have to agree with you two this time…”

The three girls collectively sighed, confusing Minato.

“Wha— Dense? Who?”

Meanwhile, back in the hallway, Fukube was hiding behind a pillar and watched as Sigulf and Celina went farther.

“Tch… Damn, he got protected by the President. I forgot he has Council duties…”

———

After Council teatime as usual. Sigulf, though he tried to relax, ended up eating more chocolate macarons than usual.

‘I need sugar…’

At first, Celina looked at him, seemingly wanted to correct his table manner, but she has something else on her mind and decided against it.

“I’m sorry I end up dragging you here…” Celina said instead.

“Mh? Oh…”

“I knew you said you’ll be fine, and I believe you have the capability to do so, but still… I can’t help but to get worried…”

“Cel, you worry too much.” Chelsea sighed. “I mean, just look at him, gobbling on all those sugar!”

‘…I dunno how that makes sense, but—‘

“She’s right. And don’t worry, if it goes down to 2 on 2, then let’s fight as a team like you said.”

“So he said. Why are you that concerned, anyway?”

Her pause made Sigulf and Chelsea slightly surprised.

“Cel?”

“…I have been thinking lately…”

“Mm-hm”

“That I often found myself worried about Sigulf…”

“…well, you kinda are.”

“I, I know… And I think… I began to realize that he is important to me…”

“”!?””

‘Wa, wa, wait! What’s with this— Oh Gerdr, could it be…!?’

“That he is…”

‘…!’

“Like a little brother I want to protect.”

Silence.

‘Brother… Brother… Brother…’

Sigulf froze on his seat, and due to the shock, he failed to notice that Chelsea is trying her hard not to burst out laughing.

‘Aah, after all that, and I’m her little brother figure…’

Chelsea suddenly regained her composure and pointed out, “…siblings don’t go out on a date, Cel.”

“E, eh!? A, ah, y, you’re right! W, what was I saying again!?” Celina stammered.

‘…ah, so cute after all.’

“W, why did you point that you!? Now I’m strangely conscious about it…”

“If you are conscious, then that could mean things…” Chelsea sighed.

“Eh?”

“…no, it’s nothing.”

Before any of them could follow up, someone knocked on the Council’s door.

“Yes, come in.” Celina responded.

The door opened, and Sigulf instantly recognized their visitor.

‘It’s her…’

“Oh? You are…”

“Pardon the intrusion. 1st-year, B-class, Masaki Fukube.” She introduced herself. “I’m here to challenge Sigulf Hrimgard.”

“…I see.”

Sigulf finished his snack and stood up to face Masaki.

“Very nice of you to wait until we are done.”

“Don’t worry, I have time to kill. And mobs to defeat. So, Hrim—”

“You wanted a fight? Then you shall have it. I’ll crush you.” Sigulf growled.

His sudden intensity surprised Celina and Masaki, but Chelsea gave a knowing look.

‘Ah, I see he’s a bit frustrated…’

14