Chapter 5, part 13
423 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of approaching footsteps made Victoria look up from her work.

“Oh, it’s you. Good day.”

“Good day to you too, Ma’am.”

Pleasant voice and welcoming smile, but none of the usual seductive mannerism, which Sigulf noted to be uncharacteristic of her.

“Taking a nice break?” she continued.

“Eh, yeah, something like that.”

“Have you eaten? Don’t worry, it’s on me.”

He already had breakfast, but he found it a bit hard to deny her.

“…well, then I guess I’ll have a light snack.”

Victoria called the waitress while Sigulf sat down nearby.

“So, is there anything I can help you with?” she said without setting her sight away from her work. “I found it a bit curious that you seek me.”

‘Ugh, she’s right… I obviously had my reasons, but it’s still embarrassing…’

“…I’m sorry, I just thought you looked troubled, so…”

Sigulf’s answer made her pause, before letting out a chuckle.

“Oh my, what have I done? Making my own student worried by seeing me in such state… I am the one who should apologize. I didn’t mean to be dismissive.”

“Ah, it’s alright.” He quickly reassured. “If only there’s something I could do…”

“Thank you. Your concern was more than comforting.”

Sigulf scratched his cheek bashfully, trying to look away.

‘I guess I can’t really hate her… What would my Master say?’

“Well, you might have guessed it, but…” Victoria sighed. “It’s about yesterday’s incident.”

“Just as I thought…”

“Worry not, you and the rest of the Council did the right thing. Good job.”

“Thank you very much, Ma’am.”

“What I am slightly worried at is on how the public will react on the long run. That being said, no security can properly filter one’s True Arms like conventional weapons.”

“Hmm…”

“We did receive the Pacific’s formal apology, as well as an explanation of their situation, but to think their Ace freshman is such a loose cannon…”

She suddenly stopped as she realized something.

“My bad, I’m sure you don’t want to hear me ramble on.”

“No, no, it’s fine! I’m all ears here.” Sigulf responded. “…unless it’s actually confidential.”

Victoria slightly widened her eyes in pleasant surprise before laughing.

“I’m glad to hear that, but don’t you think it should be directed to someone else?”

“Eh? Ah…”

‘I think I knew who she meant… Maybe she’s right…’

“Please don’t worry. This is something I can handle as the Principal. I’m sure she will need your help more than me.”

‘We all still have the common goal as the Council, after all.’

“I’m sor— Wait, I don’t think an apology is appropriate here…”

“Ufufu, it’s alright. I do appreciate it. I’ll make sure to ask for your help too when the need rises.”

“Yes, Ma’am!” Sigulf answered, getting uncharacteristically enthusiastic.

‘Ah, I think she got back to her usual mood… That’s nice.’

Unbeknownst to them, Vigdis was watching with tranquil fury from the corner, with only Melanie holding her back.

“What. Is. He. Doiiiiiing?” she growled.

“C, calm down. We don’t want to make a scene.” Melanie pleaded.

———

Needless to say, when Vigdis do finally caught up with Sigulf, she refused to let him go the whole afternoon.

“…why do I have to cook this much?”

“Aaand cleaning up… Aaaand the laundry…”

“What the— You do know I have class tomorrow?”

“Shut uuup! Hic… You… You made me sad…! Now take responsibility!”

“Are you drunk aga— Whoa! D, don’t hug me while I’m cooking! I, it’s dangerous!”

“Nooo! I won’t— Hic… I won’t let go until Stark’s charm magic disappears!”

“What magic!?”

From her comfortable seat, Melanie watched the master-pupil with an amused grin.

“Be strong, boy.”

———

The next morning, a new week begins, only short of few days from the upcoming month. Eliot didn’t want to miss his chance to open his class with a speech.

“Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to congratulate you all on making it to this point!”

His words were met with the students’ approving applause before he continues.

“How was it? I’m pretty sure a whole month was more than enough to get yourselves accustomed both physically and mentally. …though, it seems some got too comfortable. I mean, I know this island is very easy to live in, but… Anyways!”

He shifted his position, still addressing the room.

“You must’ve heard about the two incidents this week alone. Regardless of what your stances are on these issues, they only convinced me on one thing. That we definitely must raise the bar even higher on our training. No ifs, no buts, no groans, no complaining.”

“””Yes, Sir!”””

“That’s the spirit! I know none of you are willing to be taken lightly by the Pacifics… or staying under our Top 3’s shadow all the time.” Eliot emphasized the last one with a knowing grin, making the rest of the class set their gazes on Sigulf, Alba, and Minato.

‘Uwaa, must he draw attention on us like that?’ Sigulf thought.

“That goes for you three too.” He goes on. “Let it be your motivation to fight even harder. Now, you are the Top 3. But the next moment, who knows? So fight, and give it your all. To not disappoint the school, your peers, or your family, whichever suits you… But one thing for sure; Fight hard, to not disappoint your own self.”

“”“Yes, Sir!”””

“Alright, I think I got a bit carried away there. Without further ado, and with renewed zest, let us begin the class!”

———

Afternoon break’s bell rings, and the whole classroom was getting ready for lunch.

“Aaalriiiight! Time for the last month’s updated poll results!” Walter excitedly shouted. “…or so I wanted to say, but I guess everyone’s have their minds on something else, huh?”

True to his observation, the other students were more interested in the last two incidents. The boys gather around Minato and invites him to eat together, while the girls went to Alba’s seat.

“Oi, Amakawa! Join us, will ya? Maybe we’ll know about your duel secrets, too! Hehe…”

“Miss Hunter! Would you please join us?”

The two were confused and slightly embarrassed from the attention.

“Seems to be it.” Eurypha commented before turning back to face him. “…what, you guys are still doing that?”

“What, don’t you too?”

“It wasn’t me!”

“Eh, well, okay, I guess… Wanna know the results?”

“…why would I?”

“Reeaally?”

Eurypha got flustered a bit as he hit the mark.

“J, just a bit, mind you!”

Walter cackled before taking a look at his phone.

“Let’s see… You actually surpassed Rosales here…”

“Really…!?”

“In my heart.” He winked.

Eurypha promptly froze for a moment before storming away with disgust to join the other girls.

“…what were you thinking?” Arthfael sighed.

“C, come on! That’s just mean! I didn’t even go raunchy there!”

“Maybe, but the timing and delivery… You are not smooth at all.” Yuu added. “So, how did she fare, actually?”

“Number 2, just below Hunter. So I wasn’t lying when I said that…!”

“Hee… Reason?”

“The guys have been appreciating her work as a Council member. Oh, and surprisingly Hiltunen too, even if just a bit.”

“I see… Well, despite her… Problems, she can be cute too, remember?”

“Eh? I guess so.”

“Too bad you blew our chance to know our standings with the girls.”

“…yeah, yeah, I know. Sorry about that…”

The three continued chatting and approached the rest of the boys, leaving Sigulf alone in his seat.

“Oh right, I almost forgot. It’s lunch time.”

He stood up and left the room on his own.

“Ah…”

Alba was a bit concerned and glanced at him, but the other girl calling for her made her sped up her pace.

Meanwhile…

“Hmm… Feels like I forgot something…” Yuu muttered.

“Eh? Now that you mentioned it…” Arthfael responded.

“…well, whatever. Come on, let’s go, Sig— …eh?”

“He’s not here…?”

“I completely forgot to invite him…!” he clutched his head.

“I thought you don’t like it when he, umm… Hogs the Council duo for himself?”

“And that’s why we have to drag him here!”

“You…”

“Hey, Penndreic, Kanzaki! What’s wrong? Hurry!” Walter called.

“Ah, sorry, be right there! …well joking aside, I hope he doesn’t take this personally…”

———

On the rooftop, few minutes later…

“So, Alba’s not here because she got invited by the class?”

“Uh-huh.”

“And you didn’t, so ending up all alone?”

“Err, I guess…?”

Chelsea sighed.

“Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking… Will you really be okay like that?”

“Sigulf, do you… Hate your classmates?” Celina joined with a question.

“Eh? I don’t think so… It’s just…I’m not sure on what to do…”

“How about you start with ask them nicely?”

“…that didn’t even cross my mind. I was too busy thinking about the last fights and what Sir Fortier said, just like everyone else.”

“Fights? Aah, I think I understand… And what did he say?”

“The usual encouragement. Fight the hardest for yourself.”

“Hmm, I see, I see…”

“Hey, don’t just concede like that!” Chelsea retorted. “Sheesh, why are you so alike in the strangest places? Especially when it comes to duels…”

“Ahem.” Celina purposefully cleared her throat. “…in any case, while it’s good that you don’t resent your classmates, and I know some people prefer to have more time alone, don’t you think it would be better to talk it out with your friends? I’m sure that would do well as fellow duelists.”

“Eh? But aren’t you two my friends too?”

Sigulf’s answer made them went silent momentarily.

‘…did I just say something wrong?’

“Friends…” Celina mouthed. “Right, friends…”

Chelsea, on the other hand, gave a nervous laugh and said, “Eeh, maybe, I guess?”

“Wait, what?”

“You weren’t sure on that?” Celina suddenly followed up to the surprise of both Sigulf and Chelsea.

“Eh!? …were you?”

“Admittedly, I didn’t realize, but…”

She turned to face Sigulf and impulsively grabbed both of his hands.

‘Eeeh!?’

“My apologies, but don’t worry now. Like I said before, you can confide on me, whether it’s about duels or not. That’s how friends should be, right?”

“R, right… Thank you…”

“My pleasure!”

“…Cel, your hands.” Chelsea pointed. “You are getting too excited again…”

“Ah…! I’m sorry!” She quickly backed away while getting red.

“I, it’s alright…”

‘Aah, her hands feel nice after all… Wait, that’s not the problem here!’

———

Still minutes before lunch break ends, just when the three are about to go back in, the rooftop door suddenly opened, and reveals Yuu, Alba, and Arthfael who were slightly out of breath.

“Ah, there he is…!” Alba said.

“Eh? Why are you guys here?”

“Sig-kun, we— …what, you have already finished, huh?”

“Oh, yeah. What’s wrong? What’s with the rush?”

Yuu scratched his cheek, looking hesitant.

“We actually wanted to invite you, but…”

He bowed deeply in remorse.

“I’m sorry! I forgot and was in a rush…!”

“…eh?”

Sigulf couldn’t really believe his ear. He sniffed the air and immediately knew Yuu wasn’t lying.

But still, all he could muster was, “…wait, you did?”

“…wait, you didn’t even realize?”

“Uhh, no…?”

There was a short beat before Alba and Arthfael finally exhaled out of exasperation, while Yuu approached Sigulf and strangled him like usual.

“Don’t make us worried like that…! I thought you got mad or something…!”

“Hey, hey, cut it out…”

“Siggy, you’re surprisingly an airhead outside of fights…” Alba added.

“I take offense to that.”

Celina let out a laugh as she watched.

“Oh, I see. I see how it is. Such good friends you have.”

“Well, yeah…” Sigulf answered a bit bashfully. “Still, sorry, guys. And thanks.”

The three 1st-years smiled before Alba continued, “If you treat all of us parfaits, then sure!”

“…nevermind all the trouble, how would our schedules match anyway?”

“It’s fine, it’s fine, we can work it out!”

“Umm, Hunter? I suggest we have something else besides parfaits.” Arthfael suggested. “That amount of sugar couldn’t be—“

“Whaaat!? You’re not fun! Then what would you suggest?”

They began lightly arguing on their actually undetermined after school escapade, while Sigulf can only sigh.

‘They won’t listen, huh?’

13