Chapter 5, part 14
428 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Afternoon class, a new cycle for the mock duel session. As much as Sigulf wanted to fight, Eliot’s randomizer wasn’t on his side today.

‘Oh well, I guess I have to watch from the sidelines and learn…’

Arthfael was the one got picked, and this time, he managed to come up as the victor thanks to his own swordsmanship.

“Winner, Arthfael Penndreic!”

Pointing his sword to the audience, he then declared, “I offer this victory to House Penndreic, and to the whole circle of knights!”

Among the round of applause, Sigulf noticed him smiling thinly towards his direction.

‘…ah, I see. Just as how I plan to surpass both Alba and Amakawa, he too…’

———-

The last bell rings, signaling the end of new week’s first day. As Sigulf was just done with his preparations, Alba approached him.

“Yo, Siggy? Don’t forget the parfait, okay?”

“…you do know I didn’t even agree to that.”

“Why are you such a bore? Come on, let’s do something together after school, like classmates do! We’ll wait for the Council duty, too!”

“Err, I don’t think that’s the problem here…”

“Alba-san, Alba-san.” Yuu joined. “You know, while you do have a point on three of us rarely hang around, don’t you usually train wit— Mmph!?”

“Waaah…! Sshh…!”

“What, is it ‘that’?” Arthfael sighed. “I thought you already know that ‘Sigulf Hrimgard trains with Academy’s top 3 girls every weekend’ is an open secret already?”

Sigulf and Alba froze instantly.

“…I didn’t want to consider the thought.” He responded moments later.

“Then I guess you already know their reaction?”

“Kind of…”

‘Well shit, I’m not Amakawa, guys…’

“How troublesome…” Alba sighed. “It’s not like we can just bail out like that…”

“We won’t. It’s because we know they are the best, we dared to train with them.”

“…yeah, you’re right. If any of them have any complaints, then I guess it’s time to talk with our blades, right!?” she agreed, hitting her own palm with her other knuckle.

“You know, sometimes I envy your carefreeness…” Arthfael pointed. “Among other things, of course.”

“Huh? Well…”

“Excuse me.”

Another voice joined them, and all four turned to see the source.

‘Ah, it’s the Heidenreich guy…’

Accompanied by Masaki as ever, Siegward looked a bit hesitant before entering the class and approached them.

“Hrimgard…”

“Yo. Are you… Feeling better already?”

“Hm? …ah.” He understood what Sigulf was getting at. “…a bit. No need for concern.”

“I see… So what’s the deal today? Is it—“

“Yes.” Siegward answered bluntly.

Sigulf went silent, making Masaki, and for some reason, Alba and the others too, tense.

“On two conditions.” He finally said. “One, Council duties come first for me. Two, join us after that for some parfait.”

“I don’t mind…! I— Wait, parfait? But I don’t really like sweets…”

“Oh? That’s too bad… Well, I guess just one condition is alright…”

“…what? So you agreed?” Masaki reacted in a slight disbelief.

“Wait, wait, wait!” Alba suddenly hopped towards Sigulf. “Does th—“

“No, pay your own.” He immediately cut her off.

“Aw, man…”

“Now, now, Alba-san. At least we all get to hang out together.” Yuu reassured.

“That’s that… Anything else?” Sigulf returned his attention back to the class B pair again.

“It’s more than enough…! I… Thank you.”

He simply shrugged in return.

“I wanted to fight today, but… That reminds me, why didn’t you challenge Alba instead?”

“…eh?”

Short beat from the addressed two until Alba finally responded.

“He’s right! Why are you so adamant on fighting Siggy!? Are you saying he’s stronger than me!?”

“…I have my own reasons.”

While the two began to comically argue, Sigulf not so subtly made his getaway.

“Mustn’t be late, mustn’t be late…” he hummed.

“…sometimes I can’t believe him.” Yuu exhaled in exasperation.

———

Today’s Council papers weren’t exactly numerous, so the usual members decided to do it at a leisurely pace.

“By the way,” Celina said in the middle of their work. “Did you work things out with your classmates?”

“Eh? …oh, right. Parfait. Well, kind of. Somehow I managed to convince them to pay on their own, then we’ll go after my duel.”

“Oh, I presume you accepted one? Who was it?”

“Heidenreich.”

“So his ban has been lifted, it seems…” Chelsea added.

“Yeah, it’s been few days since then…”

‘…hm? Wait a sec. Maybe I should ask her to join? I remember that she likes sweets…’

“Ah, right. I almost forgot.” Sigulf continued. “Would you mind to join for the parfait? With Chelsea too, of course.”

“What did you mean by ‘too’?”

“Err… Just in case you object, because of too much sugar and all that…”

“U… W, well yes, I’d rather avoid eating that! …but once in a while is fine, I guess.”

“Oh, it is. Alba’s there too, by the way.” Sigulf slyly remarked.

“…why did you mention that?”

“Ufufu, it’s nice to see you two interact like that.” Celina pointed out.

“Eh!? Ah, well… Ahahah…”

As soon as she done laughing, Chelsea discreetly sends him a cold glare.

‘…she really doesn’t like me, huh?’

———

With today’s paperwork all wrapped up, Sigulf and the Council duo heads towards the central park. Celina did invite the other members, to which some of them agreed to meet up later.

‘The Council is really full of beauties…’ Sigulf noted. ‘Those two… Roxanne and Nadine, wasn’t it? …wait, what am I thinking?’

“What’s the matter?” Celina asked.

“No, it’s nothing.”

——–

Seemingly waiting in the meantime, Siegward stood up when he saw Sigulf has finally arrived.

“You’re here.”

“Yo. Sorry for the wait.”

“Don’t worry, it was my request in the first place. By the way…”

“Yeah?”

“How did you know this is the place?”

“Huh? Is there any other places? Well, actually there are, but this one fits the most…”

“I see… I actually forgot to tell you where we should meet…”

“…yeah, I realized that.”

Sigulf took steps closer, ready to fight.

“Are you not going to ask my reason?” Siegward asked.

“I did. But I think I have a good guess why…”

“Is that so… Then, no more words…!”

Watching him from under a nearby tree, Masaki can only sigh.

“Why must he act so tough?”

On the other side, Celina and Chelsea took a step back to give them some space.

“So it begins… Good luck, Sigulf. Do your best.” Celina encouraged.

“Yeah…!”

Taking his usual pose, Sigulf summoned his axes before getting into combat stance.

“Fen-dwelling Wolf… The Devourer of Wotan…” Siegward growled. “Then let’s see how I stand against it…!”

He brought his hands forward, as if holding a two-handed sword. Bright golden aura surrounded him at the same time as his chanting.

“Wrath is thy name, vengeance is thy blood, and glory is thy game. By Volsung Wolves’ honor…! Cleave, Grimm!”

In his hands, a steel zweihander took form. Even under the setting sun, its blade and the golden wolf head emblazoned on it gleamed brightly.

“Aah, I see. I remember that in the story, the Volsung clan was associated with wolves.” Chelsea mentioned.

“And one of those ‘wolves’ slew a dragon… Interesting.” Celina added.

“Come, Wolf of the North…!” Siegward challenged.

“Let’s go…! I’ll show you how we hunt!”

“Single duel, confirmed.” The system announced. “En garde… Begin!”

No hesitation whatsoever, only fury which drives both boys into all-out rage right from the start. One was born from his natural inclination towards fighting, another from the desperation to prove and redeem himself.

“Kh…!”

‘So heavy…! As expected from a great sword wielder…!’

Sigulf momentarily disengaged and then launched a flurry of swings, forcing Siegward to trade steels.

“Ugh…!”

‘But I’ve faced Alba many times! Therefore…!’

A well-timed strike forced an opening in Siegward’s defense, even if just for a moment.

“Shi—“

“There!!”

A successful hit urged Sigulf for a follow-up, but Siegward still has the strength for an emergency cover.

“Damn, I won’t let you…!”

“Tch…”

Meeting a temporary hindrance, Sigulf leapt away to safety.

“Battle points, down by 10%.”

‘Not a bad start…’ Sigulf thought. ‘But I need more…!’

Sigulf came in charging once again, starting another blade clash.

“Knowing that he’s outclassed, yet still carried on…” Masaki muttered, still watching. “I guess that counts for something…?”

“Gah…!”

“Battle points, down by 15%.”

Passing by his opponent, Sigulf scored another hit. And just like before, as he turned around to continue his assault, Siegward has already recovered to block.

“You won’t let me win that easily, huh?”

“As if…!”

Mustering his strength, Siegward finally managed to knock Sigulf back, catching him by surprise a bit.

“Whoa…!”

“This is…!”

The Grimm was raised high, ready to be brought down.

‘Don’t tell me…!’

“—THE END!!”

A mighty downward swing, followed with a large shockwave and booming crash. Sigulf couldn’t imagine what might happened if his speed wasn’t enough to evade on time.

‘…no joke. Slow as it might be, I don’t even know whether Alba could pull that one…!’

“…as expected from the A-class.” Siegward said. “Next time, I’ll make sure to ‘chop’ your legs off…!”

“Then try…!”

With a grunt, Siegward lifted his sword and changed his stance, before rushing for the offense.

“Now’s my turn!”

Taking a step-lunge, he pushed forward and launched a piercing attack.

‘Here it comes…!’

Sigulf anticipated it and took a sidestep. However…

“Heh…”

‘!?’

Without stopping his momentum, Siegward twirled his whole body. He shifted his grip on his blade and aimed for Sigulf’s legs.

“Watch out!” Celina shouted.

“Raaahh!!”

“…to be able to swing like that, must be some crazy strength. But…!”

“!?”

Undeterred, Sigulf opted to run as fast as possible, dashing straight past Siegward and avoiding his zweihander completely.

“I, too, am confident with my legs’ strength!”

“What!?”

“And now…!”

Before he went too far, Sigulf kicked the ground as hard as he can and launched himself back towards Siegward. Like a bullet with immense speed, Sigulf spun himself mid-air with his Fenrir ready to strike.

“Deyah!!”

“Uargh…!”

Siegward’s reaction was a bit too late. Sigulf has successfully landed two consecutive blows and knocked him down.

“Battle points, down by 30%.”

In spite of such maneuver, Sigulf reached the ground safely, albeit with some after-effects.

“Ugh, dizzy… I need to get myself used…”

“That honestly looked impressive.” Celina commented. “Maybe I should give it a try too?”

“Isn’t it a bit too impractical?” Chelsea responded.

Meanwhile, Siegward slowly rose back to his feet. His hand trembled a bit while struggling to hold his Grimm.

“Curses…! Not yet… I’m not done yet…!”

Sigulf shook his head and returned to his fighting stance.

“Alright, let’s see this through…!”

12