Chapter 5, part 15
444 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As opposed to Sigulf’s composure, Siegward cannot stop his shaking right hand.

‘Dammit, not now…!’

He tried to fix his stance, only to inadvertently drop his Grimm.

“Gh…!”

“Oi, are you alright?”

“I knew it.” Masaki stepped out from under the tree. “Heiden—“

“Stop…! Don’t come any closer…!”

“Tch, acting all tough like that…”

“You’re not going to get back at him?” Sigulf asked her.

“And getting banned from fighting? No thanks, I’m not an idiot.”

“Heh, guess I have to say ‘touche’ on that…”

Siegward picked up his zweihander and forced himself to stand steady.

“Don’t worry about me. Let’s go!”

“If you say so…!”

Seeing his opponent has made their mind, Sigulf attacked without hesitation.

“Grh…!”

“Why you…!”

For every time their blades meet, Sigulf could feel that the German’s strikes are getting stronger and faster.

‘Oh, nice. Now this is more like it…!’

Not wanting to get his lead stolen, Sigulf intensified his offense.

‘Again…!?’

“There!”

“Kuh…!”

A sudden stray swing barely missed Siegward’s cheek. He tried to press on to avoid being overwhelmed again, but Sigulf is still too agile.

“He’s actually not bad…” Chelsea commented.

“Indeed. He could make it into the A-class.” Celina agreed. “It’s just… Unfortunate that his opponent is Sigulf.”

“Gah…!”

“Battle points, down by 10%.”

“Ah, it’s not deep enough…”

Another hit scored. Siegward retaliates in a desperate attempt to keep Sigulf away.

“Haah, haah…!”

His Grimm planted firmly into the ground. Siegward held into its grip to keep himself from keeling over.

‘…?’

“This is getting harder to watch…” Masaki muttered.

‘I’m… Not worthy…’ Siegward thought. ‘Grimm… I’ve been granted just another manifestation of the Gram… Not even the great hero Sigurd himself…! What is a sword without his origin’s mastery?’

Obviously, Sigulf was mildly confused at his condition, though that didn’t stop him from taking steps closer.

‘Sorry, but I won’t be holding back here…!’

He immediately broke into a run, ready to end the fight.

“Wait, he’s going to attack just like that?” Chelsea pointed out to Siegward’s state of unpreparedness.

“Tch, it’s over…” Masaki sighed, closing one of her eyes.

‘What should I do? …no, I won’t just be a footnote! No, no, no…!’

“Raaah!”

“NO!!”

“!?”

Whether by instinct or something else, Siegward lifted his zweihander and guarded against the Fenrir cleanly. And this time, without getting gradually pushed back.

‘Oh…?’

“No no no no no no…!!” Siegward repeated, like a mad mantra.

‘Something’s definitely off here…!’

“OOOOAAAAAAAAAHHH!!”

“What the—!?”

An instant explosion of strength thrashed Sigulf away, saved only by properly blocking on time.

“Where did all that power come from…!?” Chelsea echoed Sigulf’s sentiments.

“Did… Did he just snap?” Masaki stared in disbelief.

“UOOOOOAAAAHHH!!”

In a completely different display from before, Siegward blitzed towards Sigulf without giving him any chance to recuperate.

‘Talk about a spike in both strength and speed…!’ he thought, now on the receiving end of the onslaught.

Out of the blue, Siegward stopped at cutting away… Or rather, retracting his arms for a split second, preparing to unleash a piercing attack.

‘Shit, make it on time…!’

“GRRRRH!!”

Unexpectedly to him, it broke through his defenses.

“Wha—“

“ROAAAAAAAHHHH!!”

And in an equally inhuman prowess, Siegward spun his whole body diagonally, bringing down his blade with full force.

“Gah…!!”

The monstrous impact sent Sigulf flying away. It took few rough bumps before he finally could stand up, and even then, he was coughing from the after effect.

“Sigulf!” Celina shouted in worry.

“Battle points, down by 40%.”

‘In just one strike? Give me a break…’

Sigulf slowly rose, and got a better look at his foe.

‘Oh, I see…’

Breathing heavily, slightly hunching in an almost primal stance, and holding his zweihander with just one hand. Siegward looks more like a rampaging beast.

‘To think I would see a berserker…’

In spite of, or maybe because of that, Sigulf let out a feral grin.

‘Heheh… Now we’re talking!’

“Sigulf… He smiled?”

Relaxing his tense body, Sigulf closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“Limiter: Laedingr, release.”

A pale blue energy instantly surrounded him. Sigulf reopened his eyes and returned to his fighting stance.

“Haah… Haah…”

Siegward instinctively noticed Sigulf’s change and braced himself.

“Let’s go, Sigurd’s Incarnate…!”

Sigulf vanished. Siegward stood his ground. Less than a second and their blades clashed, loudly, dead in the center.

“Grrrrrh…!!”

“Heheheh…!”

Once, twice, thrice… Both Sacred Arms exchanged strikes multiple times evenly with a thunderous ringing.

“I… Never seen him like that before…” Masaki said, still in a shock.

“Both blindingly fast and unimaginably powerful… I see Sigulf has tapped into something.” Celina commented from the opposing side.

“Yaaaaah!!”

“Ooooooh!!”

A mutual hit as both fighters tried to blitz through each other. But as if ignoring the pain, they turned around right away and repeat pummeling their weapons against each other.

“Battle points, down by 15%. 20% remaining.”

“Battle points, down by 20%.”

“They still keep going!?” Chelsea expressed her disbelief.

“Sigulf still has the lead now, but…”

“Raaaah!!”

“Ooaaaaah!!”

Another ferocious wild swings by both boys, landing on each other’s chest and left shoulder, respectively. And again, it didn’t slow them down despite the damage calculation.

“Battle points, down by 15%. 5% remaining.”

“Battle points, down by 20%. 20% remaining.”

“Heidenreich’s catching up…!” Chelsea stated. “What is he doing!? If he got the next hit stolen…!”

“…can you do it, Sigulf?”

The repeated collisions of their blades got increasingly violent; neither Sigulf and Siegward seemingly paid attention to their own limits at this point.

“You idiot…”

Masaki clenched her fists and mustered her voice to finally let out a scream.

“Go, Heidenreich!! Get him!!”

Whether by impulse or he did hear her, Siegward swiftly shifted his movement and lifted his great sword high over.

“…!!”

“URROOAAAAAAAAAHH!!”

“Sigulf!”

A loud crash and a huge cloud of dust as soon as the Grimm struck the ground.

“Haah… Haah…”

Yet only silence followed. There was no damage counting as it became clear that Sigulf has successfully evaded, and now standing right behind him.

“Tch… Dammit…” Siegward finally responded with a ragged breath.

“Keeping my sanity is one of my strong points too.”

As much as Siegward wanted to immediately turn around, Sigulf has already took the steps and delivered the finishing blow.

“Gh…”

Slowly but sure, Siegward lost his balance and hit the ground.

“Battle points 0. Cannot continue duel. Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard from class A.”

Masaki, who was getting excited for a moment, looks dejected by the results.

“…too bad. That was kind of close.”

“Aah… Phew…”

Sigulf still end up dropping to his knee out of exhaustion, making the Council duo hurriedly approached him.

“Are you alright!?” Chelsea asked.

“I’m alright… I think. Just need a bit of breather.”

“…here.”

“Eh? Ah…”

Sigulf was surprised, and embarrassed by Celina offering her hand, but he took it nonetheless and used it to help himself stand.

“Congratulations.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“This may be sudden, but would you mind if I give you some questions and opinions on the way you fought?”

Sigulf froze.

“Err… Was it objectionable?”

“It certainly raised some questions, to be frank.”

“…parfait. Or after this, at the soonest.”

Celina giggled.

“Okay, sure.”

Sigulf got a temporary relief as he approached Siegward, who was already helped by Masaki, and offered a handshake.

“Nice fight.”

“…I guess.” He answered, accepting it.

“Remember anything?”

“Kind of blurry… I was a bit surprised too.”

“I’m not sure whether it’s my place to say this, but… You shouldn’t hold yourself back like earlier and just run wild. Well, with better control, at least…”

Siegward was obviously confused.

“…what? Me? Holding back? Why would I—“

“I don’t really know, either. But it felt like your movements seems restrained… No idea if consciously or not.”

“…”

“Huh, now that he mentioned it, maybe because you are trying too hard to build an icy cool image?” Masaki quipped.

“…shut up, I am cool.”

“Yeah, right. But, see, isn’t it better just to say and act what’s on your mind?”

“I…”

Siegward looked at his empty right hand.

“Maybe it was because I was afraid of him, that I…”

“Well, in the end, only you yourself know better.” Sigulf scratched his own head. “But yeah, rampaging all out like that is one of many ways to fight. And for me, at least, it does feel good. Don’t you think so?”

“…haha, maybe.”

‘Strange, for some reasons, my shoulders feel lighter…’ Siegward thought.

“Duh, what am I saying? Even though we’re both freshmen…”

“No, it’s alright.”

“Well… So, you sure you don’t want to join for some parfait?”

“Maybe next time…”

“If you say so… Well, catch you later. Oh, and hope that we’ll fight again.”

“! …yeah!”

Siegward watched as Sigulf parted with them and rejoined the Council duo.

“…is it fine like this?” Masaki asked.

“Can’t be helped. I just have to train harder. You’ll help, right?”

“What makes you think I will?”

“Well, you did cheer for me… I’m actually glad.”

“Oh, I did.” She answered nonchalantly, making him slightly disappointed. “I did thought ‘this could be it!’, but…”

“I see…”

“Well, like you said, we just have to train harder. It’s not like we have any other options.”

“…my gratitude, Masaki.”

“…it’s Fukube to you. And don’t pull stupid shit like that one on my duel again.”

“Sorry about that…”

“But first, you have to rest and recover first. Doesn’t your muscles sore after going on a frenzy like that?”

“…now that you mentioned it— Ow, ow, ow…”

———

Meanwhile, on Sigulf’s side…

“So, mind if I ask now?” Celina said.

“Oh, err… Is it about me being too reckless?”

“Dangerously reckless.” She nodded in affirmation.

“…I’m sorry about that. I got carried away…”

“That means another heavier menu for our weekend, then.”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

“…why are you getting enthusiastic on that?” Chelsea pointed out. “She’s right, but good thing you won in the end.”

“Which reminds me, I was actually glad knowing Chelsea is still worried about you during the duel.” Celina giggled.

“Eh!?”

“…wait, really?”

“Well… Why would I want you to lose? We are still on the same Council.”

“Hee… I’m so touched.”

“…what’s with that deadpan delivery?”

“…just kidding. But, really, I’m genuinely glad, so umm… Thanks.”

“Yes, yes, but don’t get ahead of yourself…” Chelsea tried to dismiss.

‘Uwaa… So cold…’

“Sheesh, Cel. What are you getting at?”

“Hm? Nothing? I thought it was a natural reaction to see friends care about each other?”

“…”

‘I got a feeling she’s strangely sharp about this…’ Chelsea thought.

“Putting that aside,” Celina continued and faced Sigulf once more. “That sudden burst of yours… Is it a new technique of sorts? I think it would be interesting if you use it next time we spar.”

“Eh? Well… It’s nothing special, really. Just putting myself into a pseudo-berserk state…”

“Oh, you can induce it? That’s honestly quite impressive.”

“Maybe, but as you can see, it’s quite tiring. Not as bad as actually going berserk, but still…”

“Why not? It would give you a better edge, so you won’t get trashed badly as usual against us.” Chelsea added.

“…don’t remind me that.”

“Shush, Chelsea.”

“Eeeeh?”

“Well, that,” Sigulf continued. “And I’m trying to build up strength first so I don’t really have to rely on those, even against you two.”

“Oh, that’s quite the goal. But fair enough.”

“…you’re going to just let him go?”

“That’s all I wanted to know. Besides, I’m sure when the time comes, he will release Dromi or even Gleipnir on his own volition, right, Sigulf?”

“Eh, ah… Um, right, someday.”

‘Well of course she would know about Fenrir’s myth…’

Celina chuckled knowingly, while Chelsea can only sigh.

“Sometimes, I’m the one who couldn’t understand you two…”

12