Chapter 5, part 16
475 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A couple days later, the sound of trickling water outdoor caught Sigulf’s attention as he was changing.

‘Ah, it rained…’

He did see the forecast beforehand, so it’s not like he’s unprepared.

‘Still, got to be careful. Hope the wind’s not strong.’

———

Probably because of the weather and the grey skies, but when he arrived, his class felt less lively than usual.

‘It’s like natural reaction…’

Even so with a certain ponytailed girl, who has her face glued on the table.

“…you okay?”

“Mm…”

“Alba-san, could it be that you don’t like rain?” Yuu joined.

“Why would I like them? I can’t really train, and when I think about that, I got disheartened…”

“So that’s your real reason…”

“Wait, don’t we have the Automaton Center?”

“Yeah, I tried them once, but it wasn’t much fun. I’d rather practice in the open and imagine how my opponent would move.”

“Oh, right, gotta agree with the last one.”

“Now I want to see what will happen when we approach summer… There’s more rain on that period, or tsuyu as we call it.”

“Ugh, that sounds awful… I mean, why don’t you think so?”

“Hm? Well, I never really thought about it.” Yuu slightly tilted his head.

“I actually like rainy day.” Sigulf confessed. “As long as I don’t get wet, that is.”

“Eh? Seriously? You actually enjoy them from inside?”

“Why not? It’s relaxing, and… I don’t know, melancholic?”

“Bfft…!” Alba tried to hold her laughter. “Don’t try too hard to sound poetic, Siggy.”

“I’m not! I mean… The color gray looks good, and well-matching with blue, so…”

“…now that just sounds depressing, if anything.”

“…how so?”

“Hmm, now that I think about it, I have to agree with Sig-kun this time.”

“Eeh?”

“You don’t understand, Alba-san. There is always a sense of beauty and romanticism within rain. Imagine you are on a room only with someone you like. Because the rain gradually makes the air colder, in search for warmth, you—“

“Stop!! I, I don’t want to hear the continuation…!!” Alba screeched with reddened cheeks, leaving Sigulf to sigh.

“…what are you trying to tell her?”

“Oops, my bad. I shouldn’t tell things like this in front of a lady.” He giggled sheepishly.

“Your gentleman points just dropped to rock bottom.”

“O, ouch, don’t say that…”

“Well, in any case, I’d rather have a rainy day than scorching summer heat.”

“Oh, right. You’d just melt like a snowman…” Alba responded.

“For real. Even if our summer was cool. I have no idea how’s the summer here… Or Japan.”

“…wait, don’t just take it seriously.”

“Good thing we have ACs, right, Sig-kun?”

“Ah, indeed. One of the best things humanity has invented.”

The two proceeded to share a high five.

“…somehow I felt left out.” Alba pouted.

“There, there, Alba-san. Then how about we grab something to eat after school together?”

“Uhh… Shouldn’t you be hitting on someone else?”

“Wha— I was genuinely worried though…” Yuu slumped his shoulders, earning a snicker from Sigulf.

———

In spite of what she said before, Alba’s showing on the mock duel session proved otherwise.

“Uryaryaryarya!”

“What, so she’s doing alright.” Sigulf commented from the sidelines.

“It’s fine, isn’t it? It’s times like this that she shined the best.” Arthfael replied.

“Oh?”

“Pardon me, but please don’t get it wrong. I have no intention to get in between you two.”

“…what’s that supposed to mean?”

———

Even after the bell rings, the rain didn’t let up, though it’s a minor inconvenience for Sigulf, considering his indoor duties.

“Ah, so Alba is practicing against the automatons.” Chelsea said during their work.

“Finally, yeah. She was against the idea, initially.”

“Hmm…”

“Is Amakawa out patrolling like usual?”

“Yes. I believe Lindorm and Laine have already briefed them. You know, to brought umbrella or raincoats in case like this.”

“I see…”

“And before you thought of anything, yes, both of them can be serious too. Sometimes…”

“…wait, what? It didn’t even cross my mind…”

“Oh, you don’t?”

Celina laughed at their interaction.

“It’s good to see the weather doesn’t affect you two.”

“Of course, I’m the vice-president, after all.”

“…a bit actually.” He meekly admitted. “The air’s so comfy…”

“Sigulf, no.” Chelsea quickly reprimanded.

“Oh, you too? Feels nice, doesn’t it?”

“…and Cel, don’t pamper him.”

“I, I’m not…! Come on, let’s finish this, so we can enjoy the rain while having some tea. What do you say?”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

“…wait, we are not going home? And don’t agree with her just like that.”

———

Even though the rain only receded a bit, the council still carried on nonetheless, and finished today’s share of work before long.

“Hmm…”

Sitting side by side with a cup of warm milk tea in their hands, Sigulf and Celina calmly watched the rain outside… while Chelsea not-so-discreetly sat nearby just to make sure nothing funny happens.

“This is a pretty fine rainy afternoon, if I must say so.” Celina said.

“Yeah, it’s just so relaxing…” Sigulf agreed. “I see you enjoy rain too.”

“The very least I could say is that I don’t hate them. Whether it’s sunny or rainy, both are the gifts of Mother Nature, after all.”

“Mother Nature’s gifts…”

“Right. That’s why I simply accepted them as they are. As the blessings Nature gave to us.”

“Hee…”

“…I hope that didn’t come out as awkward to you?”

“A, ah, no, not at all. I could understand well what you meant. It’s just…”

“Hmm?”

“I don’t know… Maybe I got captivated by the way you talk about it… Ahahah— …ah.”

‘…shit, I just blurted that out!’

“O, oh, what are you saying?” Celina went red and turned away, while Chelsea silently became cautious. “How about you? From the way you said it, seems that you don’t mind them either.”

“Yeah, I kind of like them. Cool air, and how everything looked gray and blue… …although people tend to say that sounded bleak.”

“A, ahahah… It certainly gave that impression, sometimes.”

“Seriously… Even though the sound of raindrops can be comforting, and makes you forget your problems for a while…”

“…oh, that might be too.”

“Eh? Did I say something strange?”

“Eh? I think it’s the other way around. Do you… Have problems recently? Would you mind sharing it with me?”

“Eh!? …ah. Aah, I see, I see. Sorry…” Sigulf scratched his head. “’Problem’ is too strong of a word. I was just thinking about the Pacifics… You know, the incident before.”

“Oh, thank goodness, you made me worried for a moment.”

“You should have said ‘lost in thought’ or something like that…” Chelsea sighed.

“U… Sorry about that…”

“Ufufu, as long as everything is alright.” Celina assured. “But… The Pacifics… I know how you feel.”

She took a pause to sip her milk tea before continuing.

“Considering our Academy’s position, I guess it’s only natural that people expect us to be on the defensive and dared them to try again, but…”

“Yeah, I wanted to get back at them… And see what they have to offer.”

Sigulf too, took a short breather, enjoying the continuous rainfall in near silence.

“…it’s weird we’re talking about invading other school while relaxing with a cup of warm tea.”

“Ahahahahah… Now, don’t make it sound like a sinister ploy.”

The two chatted away happily, leaving Chelsea to pout alone.

‘…what’s with them, being like that? And Celina is too defenseless… Hm!?’

She suddenly straightened up in her seat, realizing something.

‘Could this be… Jealousy…!?’

Chelsea put aside her cup and began thinking seriously.

‘But I thought I don’t like Sigulf…! Wait, does this means… I have the hots for Celina!?’

She clutched her head in panic.

‘B, but I only see her as a dear friend! And what about Alba!? Wait, why did her name came up!?’

Unknown to her, Sigulf and Celina are already watching her with worry.

“…what’s with her? Is she… Alright?”

“I… Frankly have no idea, and a bit afraid to ask.”

———

After Chelsea has somehow calmed down, the three decided to leave the building.

‘The rain hasn’t stopped yet, but we can’t stay inside forever.’

“Are your umbrellas alright?” Chelsea asked. “The forecast said nothing about strong winds, but just to be sure.”

“It’s all good, Ma’am.” Sigulf said half-jokingly.

“Okay then, let’s go home.” Celina responded.

A peaceful, if not quiet way return, with the constant sound of rain drops being their only companion.

‘Damn, this is so cozy, I got a bit sleepy…’

“Say Sigulf,” Celina suddenly said and breaking the silence. “Do you ever let yourself get drenched?”

“Eh? Well, once. I got scolded by my Master after that…”

“Oh really?” she giggled.

“Yeah… I was a kid so I didn’t think much of anything back then, but… Now I would mind if I get all wet.”

“Ah, I see… That’s too bad.”

“Cel…” Chelsea joined. “Don’t tell me you’re considering to…”

“…”

“…seriously?” she sighed. “Let’s don’t take risks and get sick here.”

“I know, I know. I won’t. I still have to coach Sigulf this weekend, after all.”

“Ah, right… I was being too reckless against Heidenreich…”

“You did.” Celina chuckled. “So I’m going to be harder next time. Are you up to it?”

“Of course, Ma’am!”

“That’s the spirit.”

‘…well, at least they share a common interest.’ Chelsea thought while sighing.

When they finally reached the dorm’s front gate, the rain was almost lifted.

“Ah, just in time.” Sigulf said.

“Too bad we don’t get to see any rainbow…” Celina responded.

“Oh, right. That’s too bad…”

All three looked up, watching as the sky and clouds slowly cleared.

“…do you mind if we wait a bit longer here.”

“Not at all.”

“Just be careful not to catch a cold.” Chelsea added.

“Ufufu, I know.”

They waited excitedly as the sun begun to reappear until…

“…ah! There it is!”

“Waah…”

Even within the orange tinted sky, they could see the multi-colored arc formed above.

“On a grand scale of things, rainbows are nothing unusual. Yet seeing them still gave me joy, however simplistic it is.”

“Yeah…”

“It’s beautiful…”

Sigulf glanced aside, enthralled by her visage as she admired the sight.

“Not as beautiful as you are…”

“…eh?”

“Ah…!”

‘Shit! Again? Me and my mouth…!’

The air quickly turned awkward, prompting Chelsea to take steps closer.

“A, ahahah! Now, now, Sigulf, you shouldn’t say those things easily, you know!” she said, trying to clear the situation down.

“…Sigulf.”

“Y, yes?”

“Do you… Really mean it?”

Sigulf dared himself to look at Celina. Her cheeks are rosy red, yet her eyes are filled with expectation as she looked straight back at him.

‘There’s no way I’ll back out… Or pretend to be deaf…’

“…yes. I do. I do mean it…”

“I see…”

Celina faced away at his answer, making Sigulf’s heart sunk at first. But it soon turned into relief as soon as he saw a small, bashful smile formed on her lips.

“Thank you…”

“You’re welcome…”

‘…Celina.’

Chelsea stopped at her tracks, and watched them wordlessly.

‘If she looked that happy, then how am I supposed to stop her?’

———

Meanwhile, with an atmosphere so different from the trio, far across the ocean, few hours earlier…

“…”

“Haah… Damn…”

“Winner, Jack Ashfield!”

A free duel just outside Pacific’s school building. Jack stood victorious before his opponent. However…

“O, oi, are you kidding? He’s from the B-class, right? But he survived a fight against him…!” one spectator said in disbelief.

“Ssh! Pipe down! A loss is a loss, even if it’s by time out…!” another chimed in.

Jack opted to ignore the commotion and approached the kneeling boy.

“Ralf Caldwell… Who the hell are you, really?”

“Huh? I am… Me…?”

“Tch…”

‘To think I won by a mere time out…!’

“Ah, duel of youngsters. So full of passion!”

“Huh?”

Still in sour mood, Jack turned around to see the source of the voice.

“Whoa, no need to look that scary.”

An Asian middle-aged man, whose nationality Jack can’t determine nor he cared about, wearing a rather fine suit if not for the way he messily wore it.

“…what do you want?”

“Oh, straight to business? I like it. Then… Do you want to get stronger? I’ll train you to greatness. …boy, I always wanted to say that!”

“Hah, you? Training me? What a joke—“

“Not just you actually. That potential boy over there too. And maybe a few others.”

“…who the hell do you think you are? Get lost.”

“Uwa, don’t be rude against your elders. Your parents never taught you? I know your school lost against the Atlantics, but—“

That’s it. Two of Jack’s buttons pressed at once. He raised his blade. He’s definitely going to shut his mouth for good… Or so he thought.

“Jack, watch out!” Kouji warned.

“!?”

Just as he about to rush him, the man has already blitzed right behind Jack.

“Wha—“

And before he even has the time to process what’s going on, the man already circled back to the starting point.

“Come on, at least let me finish, will ya?”

“You…!!”

Needless to say, Jack was furious. But like every other student, he knows that he is outmatched, as much as he hated to admit it.

‘He’s a duelist, no doubt about it…!’ Kouji thought. ‘And he’s not just a good one…!’

“Sir.” He called out, trying to cool down the tension. “You said that you are willing to coach some of us.”

“Ooh, finally someone calmer. Good, good. You kinda remind me of my own son.”

‘Son?’

“Yeah, I did say that.” The man continued. “So, am I accepted?”

“About that, it all depends on our Principal’s judgment.”

“Yeah, I thought so…”

“If you don’t mind, I can show you the way. I too want to hear about your conditions.”

“Conditions, huh? I’m not here for the money, at the very least.”

“Oh?”

“I just need warm foods and a comfortable bed.”

“…pardon?”

“Ehh, let’s just say I accidentally blew up my money… Heheheh…”

“I see…”

“…Sir, are you sure about this?” Mei asked, obviously wary.

“He might act like that, but you should be able to feel it. His skills are real.”

“So, that’s my side of story.” The man said again. “Now, would you mind guiding me to the Principal?”

———

Chapter 5 “Blod Eld Daud: Fire Meets Ice, Part 1”, end.

Continued on Chapter 6.

10