Chapter 6: Blod Eld Daud: Fire Meets Ice, Part 2, part 1
478 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A chilly morning breeze swayed the branches of a nearby tree. One of its older leaves got plucked off and slowly descends towards the ground… if not for two silver glints which quickly rip it to pieces, followed by a loud clang.

“Grh…!”

“Very good…! Feel the air while keeping your focus! Let the beast inside you out little by little!”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

Another weekend workout with the usual four. Though it’s clear that Celina still has the upper hand, Sigulf too has showed improvements in both strength and speed.

“She sure speaks… Flowery?” Alba commented, sitting in the sidelines.

“Yeah, she could be like that when got carried away…” Chelsea responded.

“They seem to be in higher spirits that usual. Did something good happen?”

“Well… Let’s just say Sigulf said something that makes her happy…”

“Wha— Did he—“

“No, no, no. It’s… Err, maybe not quite close… Maybe.”

“…I don’t really get it, but in short, is he—“

“Yeah, he definitely likes her, aaand she doesn’t seem to mind.”

“Hee…”

‘I actually figured it out, though…’

“Shouldn’t you boot him out from the council? Or… Is he slacking during his duties? I’ll give him a good smack if needed.”

“I can’t just do that…” Chelsea sighed. “He actually did okay, if not merely passable and nothing extraordinary. I’m actually surprised he still managed to keep-up with practice, if anything.”

“Bashing things seems to be his calling.” Alba joked.

“Ahahah… Yeah, it seems so…”

“Hmm, I see, I see. So Siggy is—“

“Hey, Alba.”

“Hmm?”

“Are you… Really fine with this?”

She didn’t immediately answer, and took a sip from her water bottle instead.

“That should be my line. Are you?”

“What do you— I—“

Words failed her. Chelsea couldn’t come up with any answer and conceded in the end.

“…I’m not.”

“I see… Soo, which one is it? Siggy or—“

“I, it’s not like that! …I think. It’s just…”

She didn’t continue right away, obviously hesitating.

“Don’t worry. I’m listening.”

“She’s my dear friend. And I wanted the best for her, but… But I’m not even sure that he’s the ‘best’ for Celina…”

“Yet something prevented you from acting against it.”

“…yeah.”

As if enjoying their own world, Sigulf and Celina were so immersed with their sparring, failed to notice Alba and Chelsea’s conversation.

“Whenever I see her smile like that… So happy, so full of life… Giving her all in fights with and because of him… I lost my heart to stop her.”

“…I see. It’s certainly… Sucks.”

An axe blow successfully parried by Celina. But by this point, Sigulf has grown enough to expect her counter-attack, and continuing their blade exchange.

“I wonder… Maybe I’ve been too over-protective of her all this time…?”

“Umm, I’m not really good with this, and you’re the one knows the most, so…”

“…yeah, I know.”

“But if you did, then yeah, I’d honestly find that strange. Why would you bodyguard a fighting monster like her in the first place?”

Chelsea can’t help but to chuckle at her words.

“Ufufu, a ‘monster’, huh… You sure she’s not a ‘War Goddess’?”

“I refuse to call her that.” Alba bluntly answered. “…though, monsters or gods, I’ll take them down all the same.”

“You’re ambitious.” Chelsea said, finally smiling.

“Yup, and I have to! First, the North Sea, and then the whole world!”

“…if you keep it up, I know you can do it. You have the passion and talent, after all.”

“Eh? Oh, umm… T, thanks.”

“No, I should be the one thanking. Thank you for listening… You were cool.”

“Wha—“ Alba went red at her compliment. “N, naaw, what are you talking about? Don’t make me blush! Ahahahahah!”

“Ufufu, there you go back to your usual self. Should I hug you in appreciation?”

“N, no way! Back off this instant!”

“Aww, don’t be like that!”

“Ufufu, it’s good to see you two are having fun.”

“Ah, Celina…!”

Both girls were slightly surprised as Celina and Sigulf made their way.

“Thanks for the hard work!” Chelsea quickly stood up and passed them their water bottles. ”So…?”

“I broke a good sweat, it feels very nice.” she answered. “Don’t you think so, Sigulf?”

“Mng?”

He can’t really answer with his mouth full, so he nodded vigorously instead.

“Ah, sorry about that.” Celina apologized with a giggle.

“Drink carefully.” Alba quipped. “Survived another harsh regiment, huh?”

“…phew. Yeah, I was a bit surprised actually.” Sigulf finally managed to respond.

“Hey, you’re supposed to retort there.”

“Too tired, and hungry, to. …so, what did you two talk about?”

“Oh, you wanna know?” she asked, glancing at Chelsea first before back to him. “Not telling!”

“Eeeh…”

“Ufufu, so I guess we are good to call it a day.” Celina concluded. “Let’s get some breakfast.”

———

Later, outside the café where they had breakfast…

“Eh? You are not going back to the dorm?” Celina asked.

“Yeah, I think I’m going to look for my Master first.” Sigulf answered.

“Hmm, do you know where she might be?”

“No, but… I think I have an idea… Is there any other secluded, spacious spot in this island?”

“Secluded and spacious spot… I can only think one certain cape, a bit of distance from where we usually trained. Are you sure she’s there?”

“Considering her, and her needs, well, maybe…”

“Why don’t you call or message her first?” Chelsea suggested. “Don’t you have her number?”

“Well yeah, but I want to surprise her.”

“…there’s always the chance she won’t even be there, you know.” She sighed.

“Classic weird Siggy.” Alba chuckled.

“I, I know… That’s why I’ll go alone.”

“Oh, is that so?”

“Yeah. So… Thanks for today’s practice, and umm… See you tomorrow?”

“No need to be so reserved.” Celina responded with a chuckle. “I will go with you.”

“Ah, is it alright with you?”

“Sure. I feel like stretching my legs a bit more. How about you two?”

“Hmm, I don’t mind, but…” Chelsea slightly tilted her head and turned to face Alba.

“Fine by me. Still too early to rest… And I want to greet her too.” The younger girl answered.

“…then it’s settled!”

‘Hm? Somehow, they sounded different…’

“So, should we buy some snacks for them?”

“Just a bit. And make it cheap? I’m sure they already brought some.”

“Uwaa, Siggy, you cheapskate.”

‘…well, I guess it’s fine like this, right?’

———

While his hunch was right, when Sigulf and the rest arrived though, Vigdis’ rehab of the day has already wrapped up.

“Ah, we’re a bit late.”

“Hmm? Oh, hey, Sigulf!” she waved.

Sigulf approached his Master, and saw that both Eliot and Melanie accompanied her.

“How did you know that we are here?”

“Umm, I asked Celina first, for possible places. I mean there’s no way you’d do it in a crowded place.”

“Aww, now I feel bad that you’ve already came all the way… Is this for us?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, but—“

“…mineral water?”

“The cheapest. I figured Sir Fortier and Miss Alderliesten already prepared first, so…”

“…miser.”

The last one made Melanie had to hold back her laughter, while Eliot merely sighed.

“I’ll take it if you don’t want to.”

“Oh, don’t worry, Sir. I bought 3.”

“Siggy is really awful, he won’t even treat us parfait.” Alba joined.

“What!? Son, you’ll never be popular with that attitude!”

“…you do know I don’t have that much money to begin with, and those parfaits don’t come cheap, right?”

“Boo, boo!”

Alba and Vigdis’ eyes met before they proceeded to high five.

“Yay!”

Celina chuckled at the sight before she greets them.

“Good morning, Miss, Sir.”

“Ah, good morning.” Eliot replied. “Sorry for the trouble. So, how’s their training?”

Celina put her hands on Sigulf and Alba’s shoulders.

“I believe they have shown improvements, particularly in defending and speed, respectively. We just have to keep this up, while slowly raising the intensity whenever possible.”

“Ah, I see.”

Both of the 1st-years look slightly embarrassed but happy nonetheless.

“Hmm, so, did Elly ask you to be their supervisor or something?” Vigdis questioned.

“Elly—“

Celina had to refrain from laughing, especially at Eliot’s shock.

“No, it’s just that we have trained together for some time, so might as well help them in that respect too.” She explained. “Though, I’m sure Chelsea has the better understanding when it comes to Alba.”

“Eh!? Oh, yeah, right. I sparred with her more, after all.”

“Hee, I see, I see~”

“Umm, Miss Vigdis?”

She felt a bit uncomfortable as the older woman scanned her face, as if looking for something.

“Ah, no. It’s just, somehow you look… Sparkly? Happier? Yeah, I guess that’s it.” Vigdis cheekily grinned. “Did something good happen?”

“E, eh!?”

Celina went red remembering memories from couple days ago. Not helping matters is Sigulf who followed suit and looked away, which only incited Vigdis and her old classmates.

“Ooh? What is this, what is this?” Melanie asked. “A maiden falling in love? Tell me about it!”

And Eliot, despite wearing a cool expression, bluntly said, “What, so you two started dating? Then congrat—“

“Wait, wait, wait! No, it’s nothing like that!” Sigulf quickly interrupted.

“Really?” the Frenchman slightly raised his eyebrow.

“Hold on a sec…” Vigdis said before sniffing the air. “…huh? Eh!? He’s not lying! What could this possibly mean!?”

“Wait, what? So you can do that too!?” Alba expressed her disbelief. “I thought it was just Siggy trying too hard to be cool!”

“…what? So you didn’t believe my nose?”

“It’s as if you’re not even human…” Chelsea sighed.

“…not human? Now that’s an interesting thought. Maybe I’m a Jotunn, after all?”

“Oh! Which means, that makes me one too!?” Vigdis realized.

“Should be. Now, we should find whether we can shapeshift into a gigantic wolf or—“

“Alright, alright.” Melanie suddenly clapped her hand. “Can we save the mythology lessons for another time? I’d rather hear about what’s going on between you two.”

“Eeh!?”

‘Damn, she’s not interested!?’

“But didn’t he already told you there’s nothing to it!?” Celina responded.

“Well, yeah. You two aren’t dating, that we unexpectedly found out. But I’m sure the story doesn’t end there. Sooo, mind telling me more?”

“Mel, don’t push them too much.” Eliot reprimanded, though with much nonchalance, earning a wry laughter from Chelsea.

Meanwhile…

“Hm? Oh, what is it?”

Vigdis patted Alba gently on the shoulder, looking sympathetic.

“Are you… Alright?”

“Ah…”

She was surprised and quickly realized what Vigdis was getting at, but she immediately regained composure.

“I’m alright, now. But thanks for worrying, Miss.” Alba answered with a smile.

“Oh, that’s good to hear.” Vigdis exhaled out of relief. “You sure are strong.”

“Of course!” she let out a lively grin. “I’m the one who will surpass you and your disciple, after all!”

“Now that’s a big claim!” Vigdis laughed. “I have to make sure my boy train even harder then!”

“Hee hee, we’ll see about that!”

The two immediately caught up with the rest of the group, where Chelsea and Eliot tried their best so Melanie doesn’t pry too much into the embarrassed Sigulf and Celina’s private lives.

11