Chapter 6, part 2
394 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The squeaking of water faucet could be faintly heard just before Sigulf exited his bathroom.

“Phew…”

Having taken a warm bath, Sigulf sat down on his bed and checked the phone.

‘…man, I should be thinking about dueling, not her.’

Melanie’s earlier pestering bugged him, though she did have a good reason.

‘Not to mention we actually trained well…’

He took a deep breath and holds his phone firmly.

‘A few messages won’t hurt, right…?’

His fingers moved, tapping the letters on his screen.

‘Thank you for today’s training,’ Sigulf typed. ‘It was a good experience.’

Sending it, he anxiously awaits her reply, which came not long after.

‘Likewise, the pleasure is mine. I never thought our practice would be so refreshing, for the lack of a better word.’

Sigulf exhaled in relief, before reading her continuation.

‘Is there anything else I can help you with?’

Beat.

‘…well, of course she would ask.’ He thought while typing his reply.

‘Are you free tomorrow?’ so his message reads.

Another short yet restless wait. This one took longer until a beep notified him.

‘Could it be that you are asking me on a date?’

‘Uwaaa, how embarrassing…!!’ Sigulf thought mortified, covering his increasingly red face. Of course he had no way of knowing that actually Celina was equally embarrassed as well.

‘Enough, might as well come clean…!’

Calming himself down a bit, Sigulf sent his response.

‘Well, something like that. Or are you busy at the moment?’

‘Oh, not at all. In fact, I’ve wanted to do a small celebration. It’s just that I need you not to tell everyone else.’

He was doubly puzzled, especially by the last bit. Nonetheless…

‘If it’s something I could do, I’m listening.’

———

Slightly past midday, and Sigulf found himself inside last time’s parfait parlor, together with Celina.

“So, umm…”

“Y, yes?”

“I knew it’s a bit strange since we kind of celebrated. The fight with Heidenreich, I mean. But…”

Celina didn’t, or rather couldn’t, immediately answer.

“Is wanting to have more parfait a big deal?”

“I thought you’re going to laugh, so…”

“I won’t, I won’t. Or more like, why would I?”

“Because maybe you will think of it as unexpected? Just like the plush…”

“Oh, that. Don’t worry, it’s not funny. Cute would be more appropriate.”

“C, cute?” Celina asked with rosy cheeks, something Sigulf quickly realized.

“Eh!? Ah, I mean…! …well, yeah, it’s a cute hobby.” He replied, scratching his cheek and looking away.

“I, I see…”

‘W, what’s with this situation!?’

Both parties tried their best to calm down their awkwardness, and even made the waitress slightly hesitant to deliver their parfaits.

“Umm, excuse me, here are your orders.”

“O, oh! I’m sorry, and thank you.” Celina finally responded.

‘Ah, good old vanilla flavor.’ Sigulf noted hers.

“Ah-hem.” She cleared her throat. “We already did it before, but once again, here’s for your victory. And today, it’s just the two of us.”

“T, thank you…” he blushed a bit, hoping that she wouldn’t notice.

“Well then…”

Celina took a spoonful of her own parfait to her mouth.

“Mm! So delicious!”

“Ahahah…”

“H, hey! I thought you said you won’t laugh…!”

“It’s not like that…! Seeing you happy just now… I guess it’s infectious…?”

“I, is that so? I think I get what you are trying to say, but…”

Sigulf can’t say anything, so he reassured her with a vigorous nodding.

‘By Gerdr, her smile is priceless…!’

“By the way, is that blueberry flavored?” Celina asked.

“Huh? Oh yeah. Want to try?”

“Sure, let’s trade.”

“Ah…”

They scooped each other’s desserts before tasting them.

‘I don’t think there’s indirect k, kiss involved, but… This still feels quite…’ he thought while enjoying the vanilla taste.

“Oh, this is quite good too. I see you like blueberries.” Celina commented.

“Actually, I have no idea. I picked them just because it’s… Well, blue. And I’m curious.”

“Wait, really?” she held back her giggle.

“Really. Luckily, it turned out well.”

“Ah, that is true.” Celina said, continuing to eat her parfait. “Mm-hmm! I can’t get enough of this flavour!”

“Hahah, I guess I know what to get on your birthday. P&P.”

“Hmm? What do you mean?”

“Plush and parfait.”

“Oh, you don’t have to go that far!” she chuckled. “Besides, my birthday is still later on October.”

“October, huh…”

“But before that, I believe we must deal with the tournament first.”

“Now that you said it…”

The tone got slightly serious, but not in a bad way.

‘And it’s not just for me. We all have to make sure the tag tournament succeeds…’ Sigulf thought.

“Does it make your blood boil?” Celina suddenly said, as if reading his mind.

“Honestly, yeah.” Sigulf laughed. “I guess that’s why we are here. More sugar for more energy.”

“Oh, true. Though, I believe Chelsea would disagree…” she giggled.

“Ah, right, health concerns and all. That’s just so like her.”

Celina picked up another scoop and enjoyed it, which Sigulf watched with a thin smile.

‘Aah… I think watching her eating happily is more fulfilling than finishing my own parfait…’

———

Sunday morning, just as Sigulf and the others were warming up…

“Ah, figures. I knew you guys would be around here!”

“Eh? Master?”

Sigulf looked up from his position to see Vigdis came over, accompanied by Eliot and Melanie.

“Pardon the intrusion!” the nurse greeted.

“Hope we don’t disturb.” Eliot sighed.

“Oh, we don’t mind,” Celina, who was assisting Sigulf, stood up. “But I thought you have a rehabilitation program with Sir Fortier?”

“I do, but at the same time I wanted to see how’s my boy doing.” She explained. “…he’s not slacking off, right?”

“Of course not.” Sigulf retorted, rising to his feet. “I have to catch up with the top two, you know?”

“And so I won’t leave you far behind, though that’s fine too.” Alba forcefully added.

“Oh, yeah, that. Maybe.”

“What do you mean ‘maybe’!?” her outburst earned the other’s laughter. “Eei, it’s sparring time! You and me, now!”

“Eeh? But I want to fight against Celina…”

“No buts! Come and fight me!”

“Ufufu, don’t make her wait.” Celina encouraged. “Do your best!”

“…well, it can’t be helped. Gotta show my Master, too.”

“Good luck, Sigulf! Show me what you got!” Vigdis cheered him.

“Hey, come on. We have our schedule too.” Eliot said.

“Ah, wait!”

Half-reluctantly, Vigdis followed Eliot and Melanie to start her own program, while Sigulf faced off against Alba.

“Don’t blame me if I humiliate you in front of your Master!” Alba taunted, brandishing her claymore.

“You wish. Do your worst.” Sigulf snapped back.

“Heh! Well then…!”

“Ready? Go!”

With Chelsea’s cue, the two immediately locked their blades fiercely.

“Tch, why are you so fast…!?”

“And why are you so tough…!?”

“Perks of having a big sword!” she grinned.

For a while, Sigulf and Alba proceeded to exchange strikes.

‘Ah, I see he’s doing well. I guess it’s because of her…’ Vigdis thought.

“Vigdis, focus.” Eliot reminded.

“Yes, yes, sorry.”

———

Leaving behind the café where they all had breakfast, Alba grumbled along the way.

“I still don’t get it! How’s it possible for you to keep defending?”

“That’s my line. I don’t want to keep this stalemate.” Sigulf responded.

“But isn’t it fine?” Melanie joined. “That means you’re both equally strong. You have to thank Celina and Chelsea for that.”

“Ah, no, we didn’t really—“ Chelsea said, slightly stammering.

“Don’t worry, I think it’s because there’s no serious stipulation.” Eliot stated. “How about fighting seriously sometime?”

Sigulf and Alba suddenly stopped in their tracks.

“…now, why are both of you being unsure?”

“”I don’t want to show my real strength this soon.”” Both answered at the same time, earning giggles from the ladies.

“…yeah, I have a feeling it’s something like that, but still…”

“…hm? What’s that?”

Sigulf noticed something in the distance, making the others follow his sight.

“They are…”

A group of people, dressed regally like knights marched towards the Academy. Though, judging by their displeased looks, their intention seems anything but good.

“I guess the break must come later.” Eliot concluded. “Let’s go.”

The rest of the group nodded and followed suit.

———

The noble knights stopped right before the school gates, where their leader makes an annoyingly loud speech.

“—and thus, I demand that the Principal—“

“Uwaa, just when I thought they gave up…” Yuu commented while watching from the sides.

“Hmph, bunch of idiots. This is none of my business.” Ilma dismissed.

“Hiltunen-san, you do know they are the type who will pester you endlessly…”

“…seriously? Tch…”

While the knight leader rambles on, a certain young noble spotted Yuu from his spot.

“Ah, aren’t you the Godforsaken peasant who was with Hrimgard!?”

“Geh, it’s the Mushroom Head!”

“H, how dare you calling me that!”

The nobles instantly looked at his direction.

“Hmm? Do you know him, Karel?” the leader asked.

“Not quite, father.” The noble student answered. “I do, however, hold a grudge against his leader.”

“Hmm…”

“Hey, Sig-kun is not my boss or something.”

“Silence! You are guilty by association! Therefore, I, Karel van Rijn, shall judge you accordingly!”

“…how troublesome. Well, since it becomes like this— …Hiltunen-san? Eh?”

Yuu looked at his surroundings, only to see Ilma is nowhere in sight.

‘Uwaa, she just left me alone like that…’

Karel grinned and summoned his mace while approaching Yuu.

“You have no one to save you. Beg for forgiveness or else!”

The smaller boy can only sigh at his would-be opponent.

“You’re seriously underestimating me… And overestimating yourself.”

8