Chapter 6, part 8
430 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With things seemingly finally settling down, school life at Atlantic goes on as normal. And so, a couple of days later, on a calm afternoon in the council room…

“…so Fukube joined us as another info seeker? I’m actually surprised she accepted.”

“Yes. Considering her skills as a shinobi, I believe it would suit her well. Not to mention Laine and Lindorm looks pretty happy too.”

“Lindorm’s alright, but as for Laine, isn’t it because so she can slack off a bit?”

“Ahahah, that’s just like her…”

Sigulf chatted with both Celina and Chelsea during their daily paperwork.

“How about Heidenreich? Did he…?”

“No, he predictably refused, preferring to use his time to train.”

“Reminds me of someone I know well…” Sigulf quipped.

“Sheesh, even his reasoning is so similar. He’s so into defeating you…” Chelsea sighed. “…wait a minute. He… I, into Sigulf? O, oh my…!”

“…Chel, focus.”

“O, oh, my bad! I got carried away there, ohohohohoho~”

“…what was going on your mind, anyway?”

Sighing, Sigulf put his attention back on one of the papers.

‘Looks like the autumn event will be alright, despite the previous paladin incident.’

“Hm? What’s the matter, Sigulf?”

“You know, I kinda thought we don’t really practice tag duels in class, do we?”

“Oh, well… It can’t really be helped. Our school’s main and basic curriculum is about the singles after all.”

“I guess so… But still…”

“Do you have something on your mind?”

“Eh, no, nothing much. But maybe like—“

“Does it have something to do with living together?”

“…eh?”

“Ah, now that you mentioned it—“

Celina’s reaction made Chelsea nearly faceplanted instead.

“Hold on, were you seriously considering that!?”

“E, eh? Is that any problem with it? I mean, if it’s to strengthen the bond between partners—“

“Cel. Boys and girls. Living together. Under one roof. On the same room”

“Boys—“

For a moment Celina’s cheeks went red.

“W, wait a minute! Nobody said about that! Or why should it be a boy-girl pair!?”

“…eh? Ah…”

Now is Chelsea’s turn to panic, making Celina and Sigulf suspicious.

‘…did she think I bring it up on purpose?’ Sigulf thought. ‘If anything, I became curiou— W, wait, no, that’s not good either!’

“W, well, okay, maybe you, or anyone else in this room, won’t. But what if some other pair does? I, I mean, when a boy and a girl got into a room, especially lovers, they w—“

“E, even so, that’s not our business, is it!?”

“M, maybe, but…!”

Even Sigulf, who stay mostly quiet, got embarrassed.

‘W, what are they talking about!?’

“E, enough!” Celina finally said. “Why are we talking about this!? Let’s go back to finish our papers!”

“R, right! That would be wise!” Sigulf agreed.

As hard as it may be, all three forced themselves to regain their composure and resumed their council duty.

‘…but, sharing a room, huh?’

Sigulf’s fingers didn’t stop typing on the keyboard.

‘The school would’ve done so from the first day if they allow it. Not to mention our dorm is so big, it could give every student their own room anyway…’

Having managed to calm down somehow, Sigulf huffed and continued working.

———

Later that night, Sigulf wasn’t feeling particularly sleepy, so he decided to kill some time by watching TV while drinking some milk tea.

‘Hmm, not bad, but as expected, I can’t replicate the one Celina made yet.’

The sudden ringing from his phone pulled his attention away from the animal documentary he’s watching.

‘Who could it— Wait, Celina?’

Sigulf immediately answered.

“H, hello?”

‘Shit, what am I being nervous for!?’

“Oh, hello. I hope I don’t disturb you?”

“Ah, no, no, it’s alright. I was just relaxing.”

“I see. That’s good to hear.”

“So, uhh, what is it?”

“Oh right! I almost forgot. So, umm, thank you for the hard work. And…”

“Eh? Ah, um, you’re welcome…”

‘She hesitates? What could it be?’

“I know this is a bit sudden and we have the usual practice, but… Are you free tomorrow afternoon?”

“…eh?”

‘W, w, w, wait! Isn’t this—!?’

“And yes, before you ask, you could say that this is a… D, date invitation.”

“…!!”

If it was somewhere else, Sigulf would have shouted his lungs out.

“Sure, let’s go!”

“Thank you…!” Sigulf could hear her sounding somewhat happier. “So, we’ll meet at the station at 10, and… Oh, try not to eat too much after practice, okay?”

“Eh? Oh, okay, I’ll keep that in mind.”

‘Station? Don’t eat too much? Are we eating somewhere?’

“Ufufu, I actually just wanted to celebrate our first fight as Raven Banner.”

“Aah, I see, I see. Now that you mentioned it…”

“Yes, I think it needs some sort of commemoration.” She chuckled.

“Well, then I would be happy to accompany you.”

“I’m glad that you accepted. So… Since I have to prepare a bit, see you tomorrow, then.”

“Yeah…! Good night!”

“Good night, and sleep well.”

Sigulf stared at his phone’s screen after she hung up.

‘Sleep well, huh…’

He lets himself falls face-first to the bed.

‘But I’m too excited now! How am I supposed to sleep tonight? Aaaaaaah…!’

———

And so, the next morning, during their tag duel training…

“Raaah!!”

“Kh…!!”

Alba has to braced herself more than usual, due to the unexpected spike in Sigulf’s strength.

“…what’s gotten into you? I thought you’re supposed to be drowsy?”

“Heheh…!”

“But since you’re focused to Alba, then—!”

“I won’t let you!”

“Whoa…!”

Chelsea was about to ambush the blade-locked Sigulf when Celina suddenly dived with her great spear and interrupted her.

“Aww, Cel, would let me pass and take on Sigulf this time, please?”

“Oh, if that’s what you wanted, then sure.”

“Eh, really? Yaa— Waaah!?”

To her surprise, Sigulf has already disengaged Alba and blitzed all the way back to strike Chelsea.

“As expected, a tough defense…!”

“Cel, why you…!”

“Ufufu, sorry, but I’m—”

Swinging her spear behind, Celina blocked Alba’s incoming attack without even looking.

“—a bit busy here.”

“Tch, are you kidding me…?”

Even so, at this point, the 1st-years have grown enough to get accustomed with fighting against their seniors.

‘Alright…! I can’t feel even better than this today!’ Sigulf thought.

“Let’s go, Fenrir! It’s time to hunt!”

———

As per Celina’s advice, Sigulf only ate a bit during post-practice breakfast, though it did made Chelsea worry.

“Wait, will you be fine like that? You are not on a diet, are you?”

“Umm, no. Why would I?”

“Eh? If you’re not eating, then I’ll have that—“

“Oi, nobody said I’m not! I just feel like snacking!”

“Sheesh, will that even be enou— Wait, Alba, why are you ignoring your salad?”

“Geh…! Oh come on, it’s fine once in a while, isn’t it?”

Celina merely giggled at their interaction.

———

Few hours later, obviously after taking a nice bath and getting dressed, Sigulf waits for Celina, sitting on a bench near the Ocean Liner’s station.

‘Aah, she’s the one who invited, but I’m still nervous all the same…! Does this mean that she likes me? Wait, wait, wait! It could be the other way around; she asked for a date in order to know me more! Uuugh, what should I— …oh, right, I haven’t even see my Master—‘

“Sigulf?”

‘…ah, here she is.’

He instantly stood up, still struggling to calm down.

“Ufufu, sorry. Did I make you wait?”

“Ah, no, not at all. It’s fine.”

“Glad to hear that.”

Sigulf took a better look at her outfit; an ensemble of long-sleeved white blouse and a high-waist blue skirt.

‘She’s so cute…!’ he thought, and instinctively covered his mouth.

“H, hey now, if you stare like that…”

“Ah, s, sorry! It’s just… Those look very good on you…”

“Th, thank you…”

‘The least I can do is being truthful to the maiden…!’

Looking down further, her belongings caught his attention next.

“Is that…”

“Oh, yes. I made lunch.” She smiled while raising the basket. “Well, it’s mostly beef Wellington, with mashed potatoes, smoked asparagus, and mixed vegetables as side-dishes…”

“Aah, I see. So that’s how it is…”

“Good thing we didn’t eat much before, right?”

“Well, kind of… But why didn’t you tell me?”

“Eh? What do you mean?”

“It doesn’t feel fair you cook all that for me, and I bring nothing in return. I mean, I can’t cook that much, but at least I can make some baked cod, pancakes… Or even a cocoa soup.”

“O, oh, sorry. I wanted to surprise you, that I— Wait a minute, cocoa soup?”

“Yup. Sounds good, huh? It’s one of my favorites. Soo, should we save it for next time?”

“I would love to!”

“Hahaha, well, next time it is.”

Sigulf can’t help but to smile at her enthusiasm.

‘…wait, did we just agreed on another date?’

Getting embarrassed again, Sigulf and Celina entered the station.

“Oh, let me carry those.”

“Ah, thank you, but I’m fine.”

“I, umm… I insist. I didn’t get to prepare anything today, so…”

“Well, if you say so.” Celina giggled. “I’ll take up on your words.”

She gave the basket and picnic blanket, continuing, “A gentleman, aren’t you?”

“E, eh!? N, no, I’m not!”

“Wait, why are you getting flustered at that?” she laughed.

“I’m a raider in wolf’s pelt, remember? There’s no way I—“

“Oh, you. Those two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive, you know.”

Sigulf can only scratch his own cheek while her laughter calmed down.

‘Uuu…’

Not long after, their sea-crossing train came; it was smaller, definitely different from the one used to connect the Academy and the Europe.

“Alright, here it is. Let’s go, Sigulf.”

“Yeah.”

Just as he sat down, Sigulf finally realized something.

‘Where are we going, anyway? Ah, well…’

10