2. What now?
48 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the little creature locked its fearful gaze with David, his own shock intensified as he peered back into its eyes. With deliberate caution, David circled the kitchen bench, never breaking eye contact with the peculiar green creature. His senses heightened as he searched for a weapon to defend himself against this unknown menace. Backing himself up, he reached for a kitchen knife, while the creature brandished a frying pan, both poised for confrontation. Tension thickened the air as they held their weapons, their bodies coiled with escalating stress.

"RAAHHHHHHH!!!!" bellowed the green creature.

"RAHHHHHHHHH!!!!" David responded, matching its intensity.

Their weapons raised, voices raised, they stood ready to inflict harm or even death. However, before the clash could ensue, Kaja, his parrot, swooped into the kitchen, exclaiming, "MOTHER FUCKER!" Then, in a bizarre turn of events, Kaja began chirping the Mortal Kombat theme song.

David and the creature locked eyes once more, their battle temporarily interrupted. Seizing the initiative, the creature lunged at David, wielding the frying pan with the intention of striking his head.

Swiftly evading the swing, David stepped back, narrowly avoiding the pan. Seizing the opportunity, he retaliated by delivering a powerful kick to the creature's crotch.

The creature crumpled in agony, dropping the pan. Tears streamed down its contorted face, mixing with its pain.

Acting swiftly, David snatched the pan and swung it with all his might, shattering the creature's skull.

His hands trembled from the surge of adrenaline and fear coursing through his body as he clung to the pan. Slowly, he backed away from the lifeless creature, taking each step with utmost care. Heavy breaths echoed in the room as he attempted to calm himself. Kaja nuzzled against David's cheek, providing solace and gradually steadying the pounding of his heart.

"Good Kaja," he whispered, his voice filled with gratitude, as he stroked his faithful animal companion.

Suddenly, a radiant, bright yellow light materialized before him, startling David. Prepared to face whatever lay ahead, he tightly gripped both the pan and kitchen knife.

"COME ON! THIS MAN FEARS NOTHING!"

Raising his dual kitchen utensils, David braced himself. As quickly as the light appeared, it vanished, leaving behind a scroll made of ancient papyrus.

Uncertain but intrigued, David cautiously approached the scroll, prodding it with his knife to ensure it wasn't another creature like the one he had just encountered.

Satisfied that it posed no immediate threat, he grasped the scroll, and a flash of yellow words flooded his vision.

"God's blessing received!" the words echoed within his mind.

"Oh, Shit! Am I going to die!?" David exclaimed, instinctively examining his body for any signs of harm.

"No, you ain't a dumbass. Those words simply signify that the gods have granted you your qualifications," a voice spoke from behind David, seemingly appearing out of thin air.

Startled by the sudden voice, he swung the pan, accidentally striking the person behind him. The pan promptly bent upon impact. As he withdrew the pan, he found himself face-to-face with a small girl, her expression tinged with annoyance. Glancing at the damaged pan, he muttered to himself, "How thick is this girl's skin..."

"You know I can hear you," the girl retorted, growing more irritated.

"Anyway, who are you?" David inquired, his grip still juggling the kitchen knife and now a mangled frying pan.

"I am Abigail, but you can call me Abby. I'm essentially your guide after you've acquired your qualifications."

"Are the glowing yellow words I saw the qualifications?" David questioned.

"Yep, you're quite the astute one, mister David," Abby replied sarcastically.

"Can I have a different guide? I'm not fond of taking orders from a child, especially you."

"Unfortunately, you can't. Even I'm stuck here with an idiot like you," she sighed.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, seriously."

"Fine, can you at least explain what's going on and who that motherfucker was?"

"Manners, please. That poor creature is called a goblin, just a low-level monster from the realms of the gods above."

"So, these gods you're talking about... Are they like the Greek gods?"

"Yeah, and more. There are gods from Norse mythology, Egyptian mythology, and many others."

"And what do they want with us? Wait... is everyone else in the world going through the same thing?"

"Every millennium, the gods come out to play, selecting Champions to fight for their Will. The strongest champion will be declared the Victor, and their god will be hailed as the Greatest God. As for your second question, yes, everyone is experiencing the act of killing goblins, although not as unfortunately as this one," Abby explained, casting a glance at the deceased goblin with a cracked crotch.

"Can you show me my status?" David requested.

"Alright, here it is! Status!" A yellow screen materialized before them.

Name: David

Class: N/A

Patron: N/A

Pet(s): Kaja (Parrot)

Status:

  • Strength: 10
  • Agility: 10
  • Stamina: 11
  • Intellect: 13
  • Spirit: 15

"Motherfucker! Am I in a game? Why do I have stats?" David exclaimed, bewildered by the revelation.

"I told you, it's the game of the gods. You're essentially a player, and a god, known as a Patron, can bet on you. But you can deny it if you want," Abby clarified.

"Can I respawn if I die?"

"No, once you die, you die."

"So, what do I do now? I don't want to participate in this game."

"Why not? If you win, you can have anything you desire!"

"By killing people? Nah, I want to live life on my own terms. I'm not some E-girl for gods to simp over."

"What's an E-girl?" David flinched at the term.

"You'll find out when you're older. Anyway, can I quit?"

"Unfortunately, you can't. You're now bound by the game, and the only thing you can do is hope to win," Abby stated matter-of-factly.

David sighed and proceeded to step outside, gazing up at the sky. "Motherfuckers!" he muttered under his breath.

1