3: The Order
196 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

White said that this is a secret mission.

Thus, it is common to assume that the order must not be known to others. Otherwise, Mr. White Knight here could have just recited it himself.

I go to a corner, away from the infantrymen, rip open the envelope and read it with my back on the wall. I skim it quickly, then I raise my eyes to see if the Captain is offended by my action. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Obviously. I just realize that he already holds a letter in his hand ever since he beckoned me into his office. I guess this means that we have different orders. He knows something I don't, and I know something he doesn't.

 

ROUEN KINGDOM
MINISTRY OF INTELLIGENCE

 

Liuetenant Brad Brown,

You are required to keep the contents of this letter a secret at all costs. You are hereby ordered to deliver these 3 gentlemen and their supplies to the designated location which only the Captain of the Ship and one of the knights currently know.

You may not change nor increase your own men, but you are encouraged to persuade the soldiers escorting the knights to leave. Trick them if need be. These knights, had they received their orders properly, shall also leave most of their servants in a stealthy manner, keeping one to assist them.

Of course, throughout the journey it is still possible that you'll be discovered by the enemy or that you meet an unfortunate incident. However, if such a thing happens, make sure to send a messenger bird at the closest hint of failure.

If you succeed on the other hand, you shall be rewarded handsomely after the war is over.

Be careful of who you trust, the enemy might already be among you.

Long Live the King and the Kingdom.

 

The order isn't signed by anyone but the wax seal on the envelope seems like it came from a branch of the Royal Family. A Royal Order, huh.

I feel honored.

Basically, it just tells me to protect these knights and their boxes. And that I shall report about our impending deaths.

Not that hard to do.

However, that semi-invisible sentence at the bottom sounds super ominous. I almost didn't see it, thank goodness I have very good vision. I shake off the chills it gives off and look at everyone.

Welp, whatever.

I quickly crumple the paper and throw it into the lit fireplace behind the Captain's table. The letter doesn't have any specific details that need remembering.

How shall I start this?

I suddenly remember Yellow saying something about leaving around night.
  • He meant nothing else by it. We leave before night.
  • I have a strong feeling that it was a ruse to mislead the other men. I use his statement.
  • I say nothing and nod at the knights.
  • I'll just ask the Captain when we'll leave.
Total voters: 9 · This poll was closed on Nov 22, 2020 07:32 AM.
4