Chapter 8
76 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.

 

In the mess or dining room of a ship now stands nine people. The ship's captain, me and Pink, the three knights I dubbed as Yellow, Red, and White, together with each of their servants, are glaring down the single rectangular table in the room after hearing my explanation.

You can also call the situation to be a real mess.

"So, you're telling us that the assailant just left and is now most likely hiding somewhere inside the ship?" White asks for confirmation.

"Yes, that's correct."

Yellow hums and taps on the floor softly. "Uhuh, uhuh. But I have a question for you lieutenant, why did you kill the maid?"

"I didn't kill the maid!" I did let her die, but that only meant I'm a witness and not an associate. But there's no need to tell them that first part.

Yellow has been getting on my nerves since the start. But I can't hate him since I will probably think like him if I were in his shoes.

Red, on the other hand, does not care for interrogations. "I say we drop him off the ship," he says with a glare.

Say what now?

"Hey, hey. You are acting too hasty. As I said, Pink was there. She saw the body!"

"Yes, the body," Red reiterates. "Miss...Pink?"

Pink shrugs. "That's me." She taps her sword's hilt.

Oh? Did she catch on to my reason just after seeing blood in battle? Are all Silver Mavericks like this? Wait, that's not important right now. I'm on the verge of being punished for something I didn't do!

"So, miss Pink, did you see this alleged assailant?" White asks.

She did! Wait, did she? Oh, shoot, she asked me earlier whether I fought the third intruder. Shoot, shoot.

I shoot her a glance, "Just lie and tell them yes!"

Pink covers her forehead as if she's getting a headache.

Everyone else waited for her answer.

After half a minute, she finally crosses her arms and raises her chin. "No comment."

Oy, oy! Why are you acting so haughtily?! Can't you see that didn't help me? Are you taught not to lie in the Mavericks? Fook your standards. Look at what you've done. They are whispering to each other now.

Clearing his throat, White announces that we will be voting. "If you agree with the gentleman in red armor that Lieutenant Brown here shall be thrown overboard, raise your hand."

Sweat flows down my cheek. Aren't I at a disadvantage in numbers here?

Red and Yellow, as well as their servants, raise their hands. The two knights are surprised that White didn't join them. Even I was confused but hopeful at this sudden development.

"For nay?"

And when the hands are up, the people who didn't want me drowning today are five.

A majority vote! I pump a fist in celebration in my mind.

"Hold it! The lieutenant can't vote. He's the criminal," Yellow argues.

White sighs. "Allowed or not, the votes still won't sway in your favor."

Yellow grinds his teeth in disappointment while Red has been staring at White's servant. If I remember correctly, he is the squire I saw at the storage.

White notices this as well. "You have a problem with my squire, Sir?"

Red shakes his head, "Not at all."

In the end, the knights proceed to their cabin, possibly to discuss the attack earlier.

"Thank you for your support," I tell the captain and Pink. I forgot to thank White, though.

The two brush it off, saying that there's not enough proof anyway.

Hmm? Speaking of proof, I think I said something stupid to the captain about the maid.

Mentioning this to the captain, it seems that he only forgot about it. Had he remembered, does that mean the tally might have changed?

He tells me not to worry about it, but I can see that he is now thinking about my statement.

3