Chapter 16: Contact
74 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The transceiver, huh.

I like Pink's suggestion. Is it because she almost always has the brightest ideas, or is it only because it's Pink suggesting it?

I stare at Pink's open palm.

However, only I have been permitted to use this novel device, and she knows it. The Colonel will be furious when he hears someone else's voice on the other side--assuming that he is monitoring everything.

Be that as it may, I agree that those two miscreants do not deserve a swift death.

The risks are not enough to damp the fire inside me.

Is it terrible that I cannot control my emotions as a leader? What is the right thing to do? Those thoughts touch and leave me like the wind.

"I cannot possibly hand over this magic item. The Colonel will linch me!" As I said so, I open the upper part of my gambeson, flashing the small orb tucked inside safely. I do not grab it myself.

Catching my drift, Pink quickly swipes the orb. "Do not worry, Lieutenant. I will report that I picked it up after it fell while you're chasing the intruder."

"Oh, no!" I yelp. "Anyways..."

"What?" Pink asks as she rolls the orb on her fingers.

"I didn't ask earlier because you cut me off, but how could that... group even be able to hear you there?"  

Pink laughs darkly at the question. "These things are a marvel. A long-distance communication during a war, and in real-time? I dare say it's one of the best inventions of our era. Do you really think that those wrinkly and egotistic court mages have any way of developing this device with their old-fashioned techniques and shallow minds?"

I quickly admit there's no way. "But there are other branches of the government that could have conceived this. Like the military, perhaps?"

I can only guess the source. The secretive Colonel obviously will not announce where it came from, even if I ask.

But, as I ponder about this, a thought hit me. Is Pink telling me it came from outside the kingdom? No, it can also be an independent, private company-

"The Syndicate sell these?!"

"Bingo!" I do not know if Pink's clapping indicates that she is amazed or simply flattering me. Either way, if it's her, I'll take it anytime.

Although, the confusion that follows swiftly overshadows the brief praise. "Wait. What, when, where, how? Why?!" And how does she know?! Wait, she's a Maverick.

Pink giggle at the sight of me and brings a finger to her lips. "We do not fully understand why but it seems the King is starting to forge a productive alliance with the Underground Queen."

That baffles me even further.

Since this is giving me a headache, I stop thinking about it. I need to focus on the subject at hand. "So you are claiming that The Syndicate is also listening to our highly confidential military communications."

I am not dumb enough to ask, "Isn't that illegal?" when The Syndicate has done things much, much worse (allegedly).

"Only one way to find out," Pink says as she pours in her mana to the transceiver. When the transceiver lights up as an indication that it has successfully activated, Pink inhales deep.

 

Pink starts speaking...
  • ...in a barrage of coded words. I don't understand a single thing. Votes: 3 60.0%
  • ...directly. However, there are decoys (and a lot of acting) mixed in. Votes: 2 40.0%
Total voters: 5 · This poll was closed on Apr 21, 2021 07:03 PM.
4