Chapter 30: It Is For The Best
58 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pink and the shapeshifter, whose color can be anything, clasp their hands together. They act like they are friends, even rubbing cheeks with each other. Bloodthirsty grins dawn upon me as I feel myself run with goosebumps all over.

"And on that note, are you with us, or are you against us?"

I take a deep breath as I look over my compatriot and the intruder. "How long have you known each other?"

These two have been working together. Otherwise, there is no reason for Pink to convince me that the intruder no longer wants to fight.

I try to keep my face as neutral as possible. I don't want to antagonize my captors by looking angry or aggressive. Captors? Yeah, that's what I think.

Pink always gives that grin to our prisoners when she asks for them to cooperate. When they don't? They get toyed with by her blade. Most of them have to be buried six feet under afterwards.

There is no way I'm gonna let that happen to me. Although looking outside the tiny window, it's possible that they may just throw me overboard to be eaten by sea monsters.

My heart is beating so fast, all I can do is close my eyes. Inhaling, I grip the sword in my right hand to feel if this situation is actually real. Exhaling, I open my eyes again. Yep, this is real.

Then, something clicks inside my head. Gritting my teeth, I reject the idea of Pink hurting me because I don't want to betray my country. Pink and I have never been on bad terms. Not to mention I recently saved Pink's life. She won't hurt me.

I guess the Colonel is right. Breathing exercises do help with thinking properly.

I sheath my sword at the moment in the hopes of de-escalating the situation.

"So?" I ask them again with the calmest voice.

"It was just after eating supper," Pink answers with a bright smile. "I returned to my cabin feeling a little queasy. I thought it was just seasickness at first. But we all know what happened there."

I nod. "The food was poisoned."

"When I opened the door, I was greeted by her," Pink chuckles. "I got so surprised I almost screamed. That's when I realized there is something wrong with me. I normally don't get surprised so easily."

The fake Pink smiles. "But you did scream for half a second."

The real Pink smacks herself on the forehead. "Is that so? I'm ashamed."

"Is that also why I saw the shapeshifter in the mess hall?" I ask them.

"Yeah, I requested that she check out the guys who are eating. Unfortunately, the poison the bastards used is too potent."

So, the shapeshifter tried to look for the source of the problem. I'm ashamed that I falsely accused her.

"But before she went out, we had a bit of a talk." Pink points at the shapeshifter. "She asked me if I am a Maverick. Apparently, she also uses a transceiver--the same model I have, mind you! And when she reported to her boss, one of the guys standing next to her boss was, can you believe it, also a Maverick Captain! So the guy heard that one of the soldiers in the boat uses a sword with a pink hilt from her report, and that's when their plans changed for a bit."

Pink claps her hands. "The other Maverick Captain recognized who I was. So, the shapeshifter went into my cabin to tell me the news."

"So, the shapeshifter isn't from the Caen Kingdom, the invading nation?"

"Nope, she works for the Syndicate," Pink answers for the shapeshifter, perhaps out of consideration.

I've heard rumors that Syndicate members who reveal themselves to be one without permission get punished severely. Even though Pink was already told about this, I guess the permission does not include me.

"But please don't misunderstand. Our respective organizations never signed a formal alliance with Caen." Pink raises two hands to her mouth to hide (and failing miserably) the nastiest grin I've ever seen her make. "We'll only make them think we allied with them. And their stupid nobles even incorrectly assumed this by themselves just because we started demolishing Rouen from the inside. These dishonorable Caen bastards do not deserve allies. After they have invaded most of Rouen, another player will swoop in at the moment that they are the most tired and unprepared. Both Rouen and Caen will fall. And the Syndicate and the Silver Mavericks will ensure things will go smoothly."

Another nation will join the war? I can feel my head exploding from the stress.

When no one else talks and the silence keeps on dragging, I realize that they are awaiting my answer.

I study their expressions and it does not seem like they are forcing me to choose their side. At least, that's what my instincts are telling me.

Perhaps I can give them my answer now. But do I really want to stay loyal to the Rouen Kingdom?

If Pink's story is true, then the Rouen Kingdom truly is f*cked.

Even if I'm being lied to, is this country worth dying for?

As far as I know, excluding the wives, it is the King, the former King, and the crown prince who are the only decent human beings in the royal family.

The nobles are not in better shape either. Just take a look at Red who poisoned everyone at the drop of a hat.

The lands are not maintained properly. The people are starving, and children who cannot be fed are being sold as slaves. The soldiers don't even get equipped with decent armor.

I scrunch my face and pinch my nose. "Flucking shet."

Pink hugs me the moment I tell her that I'm joining them on this one.

How ironic that the best option for the betterment of my people is this.

But the question is, "What do we do now?"

The three of us look at each other and come up with three options.

 

What shall we do?
  • Capture Yellow, Red, White and Green Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill everyone Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kill Yellow and Red Votes: 1 100.0%
Total voters: 1 · This poll was closed on Oct 8, 2022 02:06 PM.
3